PDA

View Full Version : EA games partnered with Steven Spieldberg

Clipse 2
07-10-2007, 03:49 AM
Some of the very first details have emerged about Steven Spielberg's video game partnership with Electronic Arts.

According to Newsweek, the famed film director is working on a game code-named PQRS--note the sequential letters--that "neatly blends the creativity of the building-blocks game Jenga with the charm of a Saturday-morning cartoon."

Newsweek said the game, which will run on Nintendo's hit Wii console, has a physics engine designed to allow players to move blocks around with the Wii controller.

The second game, code-named LMNO--also sequential letters, hmmm--is for Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 and the magazine pegged it as "North by Northwest meets E.T.--if E.T. were female, grown up and, um, hot."

The game is a secret agent game, and Spielberg told Newsweek, "The challenge is, can the game have an emotional impact on players while they are actively manipulating the world?"

There's also a third game in the works, but nothing is yet known about that one.

All three games are being created in EA's Los Angeles studio, and the titles could go a long way towards addressing a criticism that has been leveled at the company by some that it focuses too much on putting out franchise games and not enough on original titles. Whether that is fair is another question, but if the Spielberg games are a hit, it might be some time before anyone mentions that again.

Thats a good question, can EA make an original game? It seems the majority of what they put out is sports related or well established. I've lost respect for EA as far as them not being innovative over the years, it seems they've become stale and behind other developers. Maybe this could resurrect them. Has anyone else heard about this project?

*Note: I searched for a thread about this but found nothing*

Glyndinn
07-10-2007, 04:27 AM
I haven't heard anything about this, definitely sounds pretty intriguing though.

zdarko43
07-11-2007, 03:44 PM
original game? why try to struggle hoping a new title when other titles have proven very successful over the years?

and ea does dabble with new original ideas. look at army of two, godfather, as well as they have found new ways to keep reoccuring titles interesting.

i'll admit, im not a madden / ncaa fanboy. i'll play them but not usually until the next years set is out, only because i'll save 50$ in my pocket.

ea has a lot in development that you have to get some kudos for. you cant tell me you dont like any of their franchises.

battlefield
burnout
command & conquer
def jam
fifa
fifa street
fight night
harry potter
lord of the rings
madden
nfl street
nba live
nba street
ncaa football
ncaa march madness
need for speed
nhl
medal of honor
the sims
ssx
tiger woods

these are just the titles off the top of my head, im sure i'm missing something or another without searching. plus you have plenty of other titles that arent franchises, godfather, superman, uefa, ty, urbs, time splitters, black, this list could go on and on.

as you see, a rather large population of games distributed is by ea, they have their original titles, as well as their reoccuring guaranteed hit titles.

face it, the population today would buy madden08 just because of the name, nothing else.

especially this years next gen sports titles have a lot of new features that i'm sure that people are going to LOVE.

ilski
07-12-2007, 12:21 AM
"North By NorthWest meets E.T." huh? Interesting. Very interesting.

Jdm
07-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Stephen Speilberg's genious is about to be put to the test here i think. Sure he can make a good flick but the game world is a whole different ballgame. Interested to see what he puts out there so i'll probably buy/rent/play this game

I would also like to see what he can do in the gaming world. I think he'll succeed. He's smart and creative. Did I mention he's loaded as well?;) This will be very interesting.

zdarko43
07-12-2007, 07:03 PM
we'll just have to wait&seeeee! :)

Cyrex
07-13-2007, 01:23 AM
This should be interesting, I love most of the movies that Spielburg makes but as stinkf1re said gaming is a whole new ball game. EA makes a lot of games off of Spielburg movies already, but a new game itself should be tough.

ilski
07-13-2007, 05:40 AM
...EA makes a lot of games off of Spielburg movies already, but a new game itself should be tough.

I recall plenty of old games based off of Spielberg movies, but what recently?

Graham31004
07-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Nice list zdarko43. I didn't realize that EA made that many games. It does seem though that they put out the same game each year but just make very small changes and update the rosters.

DeW222
07-17-2007, 08:30 PM
EA has definitely gotten stale. I'm not a huge sports game player just because I find every year the only change is an increase in number on the front cover and updated rosters, even though I'm a huge hockey, soccer, and lacrosse fan; EA seems to only be putting out sports games these days since they're so profitable (going back to the whole small changes thing and releasing a new game EVERY year). I almost forgot they were the publisher of Maxis' The Sims and SSX which were both fun/innovative. Hell, I think the only EA games I've played in the past year have been C&C3 and Need For Speed which isn't a lot considering they're supposed to be the biggest game house.

Spielberg could bring some interesting things to the table. I'm not the biggest Spielberg fan, but I'll give the man credit for putting out some classic movies. I think he'll be good for the video games he's associated with so long as he A) Brings in the right people (developers, artists, etc.) and B) Limits himself to writing the story. I don't think he has the experience or vision to create an amazing game if he has reigns over all the artistic direction, level design, etc.

zdarko43
07-20-2007, 08:33 PM
well thats cool, i mean, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

and in my opinion, i cant wait for medal of honor airborne, AND army of two. those games look badass! :uzi: