PDA

View Full Version : Planeswalker Difficulty

slipintonite
06-23-2011, 01:15 AM
alright i need a minute of time here, and i am politely asking not to get flamed here. what in the living hell is going on, just downloaded went straight to the first game and haven't come close to winning, i'm talking the opponent gets the same four or five cards every single time. alright so there aren't that many cards, fine i get it, and no i am not a champion grand master at this game but i played on planeswalker on the last game and i would get handed some times but also fight to the death and win on others. from the looks of it no one else seems to have had this problem so what the hell? yes, i switched decks and either way i keep getting stomped in the very first game.

Shinobi273
06-23-2011, 01:39 AM
You can lower the difficulty... In my experience, the AI tend to get some cards all the time as if they are scripted. I am guessing it is so they don't need to know how to mulligan.

This was the case in the first game as well.

You can also try unlock new cards using custom matches against the AI.

slipintonite
06-23-2011, 01:41 AM
i totally understand it's always going to "feel" like cheating. if you've ever played a nintendo game, this doesn't hold a shine to what those were like but even online i am doing fine, you win some and you lose some, got it. but i'm over 15 games in now and still haven't gotten the AI below 10 life? grrrrr.

ShoKill84
06-23-2011, 09:55 AM
I kind of understand what you're saying. I played through on planeswalker. When playing against the AI you can almost predict what they are going to do 99% of the time, and if you assume the worst possible scenario with every situation then you should be able to determine pretty quickly where things are going, and if they don't you're pleasantly surprised when they just draw a land or something like that. I suggest playing as aggressively as possible constantly without making sacrifices unless it's to put the opponent within kill range. The only time I really lose to the computer is when I draw lands for like 7 turns in a row, because for some reason this game loves to do that to you.

slipintonite
06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
my thought is this, you have a formula for a game that for all intentions worked pretty god damn good. we need deck building, leaderboards, punish the quitters, and a little touching up here and there (to this day i would still not have a card here and there work as they are intending, but again i'm not in a championship situation so life goes on). but here we are with the brand new and shiny version and i find it intolerable, the gameplay is like you said completely predictable, if i put out this card then the best card for them to get would be BAM, next card they play. like i'd said this is the nintendo is out to get me coming back and it's really frustrating because with as little time as i get to play anymore i dont want to waste it on games that had a good thing going and decided to completely up end it and draw 7 lands while im at it lol.

Primarch Akurei
06-23-2011, 10:35 PM
my thought is this, you have a formula for a game that for all intentions worked pretty god damn good. we need deck building, leaderboards, punish the quitters, and a little touching up here and there (to this day i would still not have a card here and there work as they are intending, but again i'm not in a championship situation so life goes on). but here we are with the brand new and shiny version and i find it intolerable, the gameplay is like you said completely predictable, if i put out this card then the best card for them to get would be BAM, next card they play. like i'd said this is the nintendo is out to get me coming back and it's really frustrating because with as little time as i get to play anymore i dont want to waste it on games that had a good thing going and decided to completely up end it and draw 7 lands while im at it lol.

Yes most of your gripes are entirely valid.

That being said, Planeswalker even with the AI cheating like crazy is not impossible(and there are ways of doing it so that you gain max leaderboard pts/duel without any risk really). Find the appropriate counter deck, or any setup as a weenie. Start the match, any time the AI has 3 mana on turn 3 restart until that's not the case (restarting doesn't effect rank as nothing is saved, unlike a win/loss/concede). With that in mind I've never lost a planeswalker difficulty match where I waited to really "play" the game until I was sure I would have at least mana in my favor. Often when you get into this mode, you'll go the entire game with the AI only getting 2-3 mana before you kill them.

Also play Archenemy mode with friends for practice in your solo game. The AI there is always on Planeswalker, and if you pay attention to the cards it draws there, you can see the patterns you'll get when playing alone. Assuming you can keep track of that while the schemes are also flying.

If you need additional strats for a specific deck just say where you're hung up.