PDA

View Full Version : Scratched Game

MassEffectLover
06-23-2011, 04:15 AM
:confused:Whats the best way to get a scratched game fixed??:confused:

Pr3vention
06-23-2011, 04:44 AM
really depends on how bad the scratch is. If it penetrates the metal coat of the disc or has top-side damage, it is not repairable; however, if it hasn't affected the metallic layer of the disc and is just scratched enough to not be read, a refurbishing process usually takes care of it.

Many media locations have machines available for home use (low quality refurb) or offer a service with a higher quality return for some charge (usually no more than $2.50USD)

CyberPunch83
06-23-2011, 12:52 PM
If I may, I might be able too shed some light on the 'scratched disc' dilemma.

A few years back, I picked up a few original Xbox games on the cheap at the local video game store. Of the 3 I bought, only one worked from the moment I put it in the console. The other 2 were scratched and needed repairs. While to the naked eye the scratches seemed the same severity, only one of the discs started working after a quick trip to the resurfacer. After the second disc still wasn't working 3 resurfaces later, closer inspection revealed the one disc had scratched quite deep on the inner ring, which meant the disc was done before I even got it.

The takeaway from this story? Take a closer look at a disc if you can before you buy it. It could save you some money.

Itstheimpaler
06-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Yeah but that isn't always available, however i do know that gamestop and vintage stock clean the discs to an extent before you buy it. Remember i said to an "extent" it usually depends on how lazy they feel

Dav13s
06-23-2011, 01:03 PM
If it's not too bad, Brasso is good. No joke, I use it all the time on shitty eBay games I get sent.

xTGMx INF3RNO
06-23-2011, 01:31 PM
install on hdd then it dont matter.

EDIT: i snapped my old mw2 by accident but it was installed and still worked :)

Dav13s
06-23-2011, 02:03 PM
install on hdd then it dont matter.

EDIT: i snapped my old mw2 by accident but it was installed and still worked :)

If it's too badly scratched, it won't install. Obviously.

I thought you still needed the disc in to play from the HD to stop you just renting games and installing them?

star^
06-23-2011, 02:41 PM
I have used the toothpaste trick, buffing the dvd down and managed to install the game.
Another thing i have used is car polish, that worked too. The dvd i buffed with toothpaste was in real bad condition, my dvdrom made a "halo" around the whole disc. But managed to save it to get it installed atleast :)

Neverender
06-23-2011, 02:46 PM

I thought you still needed the disc in to play from the HD to stop you just renting games and installing them?
You do, but only a very small section of code from it that actually verifies the game disc is real. If you install the game while it's in good condition, but then it gets scratched really badly somehow, it should still work because of the miniscule amount of data the 360 actually needs to read from it.

As for fixing the disc, I'd recommend furniture polish. The oil gets into the cracks and makes the disc drive think it's a solid surface, just like it would if there were no scratches. I've tried a few other things to fix discs (including Brasso, toothpaste, rubbing alcohol, and several others), but nothing's worked quite as well as furniture polish from my experience.

Dav13s
06-23-2011, 02:48 PM
You do, but only a very small section of code from it that actually verifies the game disc is real. If you install the game while it's in good condition, but then it gets scratched really badly somehow, it should still work because of the miniscule amount of data the 360 actually needs to read from it.

Well a snapped disc surely wouldn't work then?

xTGMx INF3RNO
06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah it was alredi installed and what i say snapped. it was not in two peices just had a massive triangle missing. The game install feature is brilliant. Unless you disk is completely fucked then an install should work. Do the toothpaste trick if not borrow a copy temp for a mate

niko da bos
06-23-2011, 03:22 PM

^^^lol, thats why you rent the game and swap the good copy for your scratched piece of shit.:p

EmporerDragon
06-23-2011, 05:05 PM
^^^lol, thats why you rent the game and swap the good copy for your scratched piece of shit.:p

Then you get to explain to the rental people as to why the copy you turned in is missing the rental sticker.

Burning Karma
06-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Then you get to explain to the rental people as to why the copy you turned in is missing the rental sticker.
And then, hopefully, to whoever else goes there to rent it why you're such a douchebag.

mrmonkeykrap
06-23-2011, 05:47 PM
I just bring it to my local hmv and get them to sort it out by using the machine they have. although generally I look after my games.

Paulson
06-23-2011, 06:48 PM
If you can borrow a copy of the game, install it on your hard-drive, and use the scuffed up disc to play.

If you cant borrow a copy of it, I know most video stores have a cleaner/resurfacer that will cost you a couple bucks