PDA

View Full Version : OnLive invites Sony and MS to adopt tech on PS3

Sabrelord
06-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Sorry if there is already a Thread about this, couldn't find anything. Not sure what to think about all this cloud stuff. I don't mind too much though, as long as they leave the rentals alone.

e: damnit, a " & 360" is supposed to be in the thread title -_-

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/309130/news/onlive-invites-sony-and-ms-to-adopt-tech-on-ps3-360/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

OnLive believes that if Sony and MS were to integrate its Cloud service on PS3 and Xbox 360, they would "make great consoles".
http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_258357_thumb_wide300.jpg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=258357)
The Californian firm made waves at E3 earlier this month by showing off its new controller, which connects to OnLive's servers via most modern TVs and tablets wirelessly. It demoed a range of games playing glitch-free on iPad, including Gearbox's Borderlands and Ubisoft's From Dust.

The tech has been officially backed by major software publishers such as Warner and EA. However, OnLive is yet to seal an affiliation with any traditional hardware manufacturer, locking it out of access to platform-exclusive content - and a big chunk of the modern gaming audience.

When we asked OnLive VP of Engineering Joe Bentley if the company could see its service working with Microsoft and Sony's systems in future - rather than just bypassing them - he said:

"Absolutely, they would make great consoles. Our controller is a hybrid between a PS3 controller and an Xbox controller. It's all compatible, it would just work. There are OnLive guys chatting [Sony and MS], but we'll see where it goes. But it would absolutely work, we're ready to work with everybody.

He added: "What people are realising and waking up to is everything could be a console, why shouldn't you be able to take your game everywhere. I think the timing of this is perfect. When I joined the company I didn't think it was going to pan out this way.

"I give lectures at university and I tell people that finally the internet has grown to be fast enough, and that it's really the age of the SOC; the System-On Chips that you find in the iPad, the snapdragon. They're making these magical smartphones and tablets take off in a huge way.

"It makes you use your imagination: what would you do with faster Internet and these SOCs in TVs? It will soon be in everything up to refrigerators. This is what we came up with - turning everything into a console, not taking compromised gaming like Zynga or whatever but fully-fledged gaming with you.

"It has to be instant, because the reality is we have a very short amount of time. The reason mobile gaming has taken off is because you can occupy your time at the bus stop or whatever. The limitations of those games, though, are that the entertainment only goes so far. Why compromise that experience?

"LA Noire is a fabulous, wonderful story and you could sit there for weeks exploring it in different ways. Why not be able to take that with you and continue the story? It's like a good book."

According to Bentley, Valve "really likes OnLive" (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/308121/news/valve-really-likes-onlive/) and conversations are taking place between the firms about working closer together.

OnLive's Cloud Gaming service is due to launch in the UK this autumn (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/304603/news/onlive-hits-the-uk-this-autumn/).

BT has the exclusive rights to bundle OnLive together with its broadband service offerings in the UK, although customers will also have the option to order directly from OnLive to run over any UK ISP.

kantizuni
06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
I've heard about OnLive before, and it seems like something to keep an eye on for sure. Most of the reviews I've read seem to agree that online multiplayer play through the service is atrocious. Mainly due to noticeable lag and loading hangtime. That's in FPS games though, where lag is a definite moodkiller. Maybe that will get better as the tech evolves though.

Dav13s
06-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Interesting stuff

"It will soon be in everything up to refrigerators.

Not sure if I'd stand in the kitchen playing games lol

Genesis x360a
06-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Interesting stuff

Not sure if I'd stand in the kitchen playing games lol

No but my woman would!! Haha sorry I had to :p

If the online is massively improved Ie Lag Etc then it could be a pretty good thing to implement.

Elit3 m0nkey
06-28-2011, 03:31 PM
I won't be using it. Not only do I not have a fast enough internet connection, but even if I did, I'd be stuck with bandwith caps.

Not to mention you don't own the games.

You must be connected to the internet at all times.

And other people dictate what games are available for you to play.

While I can see this eventually happening, I think it's too early. Most of the world does not have access to fast, reliable internet. And now the ISP providers are starting to add caps (which wouldn't be so bad if you could choose your own caps).

Vindicator51
06-28-2011, 04:00 PM
I won't be using it. Not only do I not have a fast enough internet connection, but even if I did, I'd be stuck with bandwith caps.

While I can see this eventually happening, I think it's too early. Most of the world does have access to fast, reliable internet. And now the ISP providers are starting to add caps (which wouldn't be so bad if you could choose your own caps).

This is pretty much why i wouldn't support this as well.

Skillet
06-29-2011, 12:50 AM

While I can see this eventually happening, I think it's too early. Most of the world does not have access to fast, reliable internet. And now the ISP providers are starting to add caps (which wouldn't be so bad if you could choose your own caps).

"Starting" to add caps? Where have you been since the creation of the internet? :p

But I do agree. Something like this likely won't take off until broadband ISPs improve their service to be far more reliable in the future. No doubt there is money in it now, but I look at it the same way I looked at those $15 Atari joysticks you could buy in the toy department at Wal-Mart that you plug directly into your boob tube and play from a selection of 5 or so 20 year-old games.

Elit3 m0nkey
06-29-2011, 01:54 PM
"Starting" to add caps? Where have you been since the creation of the internet? :p

But I do agree. Something like this likely won't take off until broadband ISPs improve their service to be far more reliable in the future. No doubt there is money in it now, but I look at it the same way I looked at those $15 Atari joysticks you could buy in the toy department at Wal-Mart that you plug directly into your boob tube and play from a selection of 5 or so 20 year-old games.

I don't have caps currently and I'm only 18 :P So my knowledge of the internet is kind of limited.

mjc0961
06-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Hahaha! Nice joke, OnLive people. Your entire platform is basically the same shit that everyone hates about EA and Ubisoft's "always online" DRM. And you want to put it on consoles where people are less likely to use your bullshit because we can just put in a disc and not worry about having to stream the game and being kicked if our internet goes out?

Seriously, OnLive. Just get the fuck out.

m1chea1
08-12-2011, 02:40 AM
I signed up as a free member just to register my gamertag and make sure no one else gets it:I bet that will stop parents calling their children m1chea1 immediately

MrStabby1981
08-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah bloody stupid idea a good example here is i have a friend with no internet and just bought a new HDTV and wanted to get back into games so i took my xbox to his house and hooked it up. With on live i couldent do that.