PDA

View Full Version : The most bizarre, irritating, and frustrating 360Slim wi-fi problem...ever.

SHawk996
06-30-2011, 02:49 PM
The quick down and dirty:

I have a wireless router setup in my house. We have 2 laptops that connect via the wi-fi, and the connection has always been flawless (Keep this in mind).

At first, I had 1 360 Slim in my living room. Since it was on the entertainment center and the router was ~4' away, I hooked it up with a CAT5 cable. Soon, I grew tired of my fiancee watching her girlie TV shows, and wanted to game when I could. So, I bought another 360 Slim and have it hooked up in the spare bedroom. The bedroom is ~25 feet away. Since I knew it had wi-fi, it'd be an easy set up. And it was. Type in wireless router password, and everything worked. Awesome. Fantastic signal strength also, 4 bars. No noticeable lag, can host games, no problem.

Fast forward 4 months later (This week). My spare bedroom xbox, connected wirelessly, is dropping in and out, losing connection. I do the usual - router resets, reset factory settings on the xbox itself, etc. Keep in mind, that NOTHING has changed. Locations haven't changed. Router settings never changed, nothing.

So, I start thinking maybe the wifi in the 360 is going bad, right? So, I pull the 360 from the entertainment center that was hooked up via CAT5, and put it in place of the spare bed room xbox. It can't connect either, but with a DIFFERENT reason. However, BOTH xboxes hook up both wireless, and wired just fine while stationed in the living room, which places it ~4 feet away from the router itself.

Also, keep in mind that when either xbox is in the spare bedroom, it's showing 4 bars of signal strength.

So who's got the slightest guess as to what the hell is going on? Both xboxes work fine when hooked up with CAT5, but it would be a HUGE pain in the butt to neatly tuck away an ugly ethernet cable from the living room to the spare bedroom.

No network settings changed, no xbox settings changed (Obviously, if it's working, why mess with it?). Why is the ability to connect to xbox live diminishing? At first, it was every once in awhile. Then, it was 50/50. Now, I can't connect at all. This all happened in the course of a week.

EDIT: One irritating thing I forgot to mention. The xbox's never give the same reason for error of why it can't connect. So far, I have been told by the xbox:

MTU setting is incorrect (Odd, as both xbox's had zero problems for the past 4 months...)
Router can't assign IP addy to xbox (Odd again, as the laptops in house have had ZERO problems, not to mention the past 4 months of the xbox's working great)
DNS set up is incorrect (Same reasons listed above)

TRoW WAR GMRoW
06-30-2011, 04:01 PM
I personally think you got stuck with an Xbox that like to yell "CRAYON!!!" for no good reason. IMO ;)

flobbie1
07-01-2011, 05:31 AM
too close to the router can be a problem for sure

SatansBunny99
07-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Sounds like it could be interference to me. Do you live in a block of flats, or with other houses fairly close? Someone else could have set up a wireless network nearby that's causing problems with yours. I should point out that I don't really know much about wireless, just what it sounds like to me... As to a solution, I'm not sure, may be possible to change settings on the router so it's transmitting differently, but I wouldn't know how lol.

gears of crabs
07-01-2011, 12:19 PM
actually im kinda having the same thing going on myself. makes trying to watch netflix a bitch

HabsCen10ial
07-01-2011, 01:38 PM
So the both work wired or wireless in your living room 4' away but both lose connection 25' away in the bedroom? Maybe it's too far away from your router and the signals having trouble bouncing off the walls.

Id say it sounds more like a problem with the router then the 360's if they both work while in your living room.

Is your girlfriend using the laptops while you're trying to play in the bedroom?

jacobite
07-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Thinking about power lines, they can mess up your wirless signal, have a look where your powering the xbox and anything else try keep the xbox somewhere the cables are not :)

mabye move the router?
also what Habs said about the laptops, iv has issues with mine when someones streaming a movie and my wee girl is updating WoW i got dropped from xbox prob because there wasnt any bandwidth left for me.

good luck

Donkosaur
07-01-2011, 03:02 PM
If nothing has changed I'd drop inSSIDer on a laptop (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) and check channels. Maybe someone put up a new router nearby that's crushing signal (yes, 25 feet can make a difference).

You also don't say how old the router is or what type / software you have on it. Routers do generate heat and they can burn out over time. Could also be someone just hit the antenna (but I think you probably checked that).

SHawk996
07-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Pretty sure I figured out the problem.

I just recently got a new set of Turtle Beach PX5 headsets. From the past 2 times I've played xbox, if I leave them plugged into the USB port of my 360, I believe the RF they are creating to produce the wireless sound is drowning out the router signal. If I leave them unplugged before I turn my xbox on, it will connect to xbox live no problem.

The weird thing, however, is that if I plug the headsets in after I connect to Live, neither the headsets nor the connection have any problems..

The headsets are freaking awesome, no doubt, but this is definitely something to keep in mind for anyone looking at the PX5's.

I *know* it's not the routers' problem. Location (distance) wise, it goes Router > fiancee's laptop > xbox > my lap top > wireless network printer, ironically, it's all in the same straight line. My laptop and the printer have never had connectivity issues. Therefore, if the router was malfunctioning, and couldn't reach the xbox, there's no friggin' way my laptop and printer would be working.

Now, why the issue of the PX5's and xbox connectivity did not show up straight away is a mystery to me. BUT, SO FAR, my fix has been leaving the headsets un-powered until I connect to Xbox live. I hope this will help anyone else in the future with their problem, so they don't beat their head against the wall like I have.

gears of crabs
07-01-2011, 09:42 PM
I don't know if your headset is the actual cause. Seems like alot of people on xbox.com forums were having same problem yesterday. Is it still doing it today? I know when I got home this morning and reset my router everything has been golden since.

MxPx
07-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Try turning the wireless of both laptops off.

SHawk996
08-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Update to this. Believe it or not, the wireless router was on the verge of death. New router, all is fine. Headsets don't block the wi fi signal at all.

Talk about chasing your tail...geez.