PDA

View Full Version : The link between RRoD and game saves?

YiazmatXII
07-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi, I'm new here, so if this is in the wrong place I apologize in advance.

I would like a bit of help and/or information.

Recently, my 360 has started "overheating" or so it thinks it is.
This is happening on Borderlands.
I've had Borderlands for months, been playing it months, and it has never RRoD on me until now.
I got right to the end of the game yesterday, and it suddently red ringed on me. So I left it for 4 hours.

After that, I tried again, and 10 minutes later... It RRoD again.
Immediately after this, I put in Ghostbusters, and was playing on it for hours... It did not red ring on me. So I put Borderlands back in... 10 minutes later... red ring.

I figured I would load up my partners game on her profile (note this is a completely different profile on the console)... Playing it for a good while, and it did not red ring at all.

Went back to my game save on my own profile, 5 minutes later... Red ring.

Again, just now, I was stood doing nothing in the game,and it RRoD.

This all leads me to believe that my game save file as a Siren at level 35 is causing the RRoD. Is there any connection to the RRoD and game saves?

I have the 20GB version console.

Any thoughts, comments or help would be appreciated greatly.

HuMuRoUs
07-04-2011, 06:01 PM
First of all welcome to the forums and yes this is posted in the right section.

I have never before now heard of anything like this. I know different games put different levels of strain on the console. For example i fix 360's locally and when MW2 came out alot of the first gen 360's were red ringing purely because they could not handle the requirements for the game.

Other than this i can't think of anything? Is your console a fat or slim 360? Also is it HD or not? The only thing i can think is causing this is maybe a certain part of the game where your at is straining the CPU/GPU too much and causing it to overheat.

Think you should give microsoft a call and see what they say about it as i think this is quite rare :confused:

Maka
07-04-2011, 07:22 PM
An educated guess: Your console is overheating, and you are at a section in the game that uses more console resources than the other games and things you've been playing without a problem?

[Waggly Bean]
07-04-2011, 07:28 PM
An educated guess: You're console is overheating, and you are at a section in the game that uses more console resources than the other games and things you've been playing without a problem?

Yeah I would go with this. It must be that some games just make the console work a lot harder than others.

I remember when Forza 2 came out there were lots of people complaining that 'Forza broke their Xbox'.

I'd assume it's going to keep happening, and that it will probably get worse and worse as time goes on. Pretty sure MS still offer a three year guarentee for red-ringed 360's - check the manufacture date on the back of your console and if it's under three years old I'd give Microsoft a call to see if you can arrange a free repair. ;)