PDA

View Full Version : Help: Recovering Loss of HDD space.

Freezingwind
07-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey Members,

I'm having a bit of a problem right now. I'm trying to free up some space, but it can't seem to find the space to free up o_O

I'm using a 60gb HDD. since HDD's calculations give numbers much lower than the actual size, I'm not looking for a full 60gb of free space, since it's impossible.

I am though puzzled, total format space is 51gb. I'm using 14.5gb of space and have 28.7gb free. now that doesn't make sense because 14.5+28.7= 43.2. Where is the other 7-8gbs?

Any help given is greatly appreciated :D

http://i52.tinypic.com/2qdvfbr.pnghttp://i55.tinypic.com/20kor4g.png

undephined
07-05-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't see what's wrong with 23gigs of free memory; I'm stuck with the original Xbox 360 20gig HDD and I have 6.3gigs left, and that's after cleaning out all of my arcade games and everything I don't need.\

When you're looking at all of the memory usage in your HDD, hit :xbut: for Deletion Suggestions. It'll have a bunch of suggestions for you to delete, and actually a lot of them could probably be deleted, such as map packs for games you don't play anymore, or bigger game files of games you don't play anymore, or large arcade games that you don't play anymore...

EDIT: I also would go into your themes folder and delete a bunch of themes you don't ever use, or don't like. Such as free themes that look like crap.

EDIT2: Oh wow, you're just asking about the 9gigs that are missing? My bad xD But you did say you were trying to free up space so you can still follow those directions if you'd like. But anyway, that space is usually used for like OS space, and a few other things. You can't delete that stuff, so basically you're stuck with 51gigs as max.

Chaosx721
07-05-2011, 09:30 PM
That extra space is from Microsoft's install which has emulation for old xbox games and other stuff that goes onto a HDD. So there's no way to get that extra space.

gamerguy69
07-05-2011, 10:58 PM
It doesn't detail what amount of space you have used up for Music. That is probably where the "missing" space is tied to.

undephined
07-05-2011, 11:26 PM
It doesn't detail what amount of space you have used up for Music. That is probably where the "missing" space is tied to.

That's the way it is for everyone's console; he may not have any music on there and it still won't say anything. The reason why is because when you try to delete music, it deletes ALL of it, not just a single song. Which is pretty stupid.

gamerguy69
07-05-2011, 11:30 PM
That's the way it is for everyone's console; he may not have any music on there and it still won't say anything. The reason why is because when you try to delete music, it deletes ALL of it, not just a single song. Which is pretty stupid.

But you can delete single songs or albums. You just need to do it thru the Music Menu itself. I was just pointing out the fact that it doesn't show the total amount of space you have filled with music.

Chaosx721
07-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Here's a link for better understanding where the other 6gb is. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911593?sd=xbox

undephined
07-05-2011, 11:36 PM
But you can delete single songs or albums. You just need to do it thru the Music Menu itself. I was just pointing out the fact that it doesn't show the total amount of space you have filled with music.

Ah, I see. Thanks for that. Didn't know that you could delete single songs or albums though the music menu.