PDA

View Full Version : need help with hard drive

sstigwood
07-05-2011, 09:06 PM
ok so i have done something real dumb, i plugged my new 120gb hard drive into the console via usb and memory tranfer kit, configered it and now the new hard drive has become a 16 gb memory unit, i dont know how to switch this back i just want the 120gb hard drive how it was when i insert it to the console it does not recognise a hard drive at all, have i ballsed it up or can it be saved
HELP! please

DeathByCrying
07-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Without actually seeing what you are doing and how you are doing it, it might be a little difficult to help you fix, but I'll give you some options, at least. Back up all of your data to a usb stick / external hard drive / home computer, whatever is easiest for you.
Next plug the hard drive back in using the transfer cable, but instead of transferring, see if it will allow you to format it externally. Once you format it again, it should reappear as a 120 gb and be recognized by your system. You can then transfer your files via usb port on the system.

If it does not let you format it externally, then you may want to try formatting the hard drive by plugging it into your pc's usb port instead of the xbox. It should detect the hard drive as a regular external hard drive. Next, download a program such as partition magic and format the hard drive as a fat32 file system. Essentially, your xbox 360 is just a fat32 formatted hard drive. That is all it is. As a matter of fact, you can buy an external hard drive from a computer store and use it the exact same way via a usb port!!
Anyway, after formatting try once again to insert it into your 360 and try again.

If this still does not work, return it to wherever you bought it and demand an exchange. All of the Xbox hardware is nothing but buggy garbage anyway, and this sort of thing happens ALOT!
Good luck and I hope it works.

MachineZed
07-06-2011, 12:54 AM
I think you did it opposite to what you were supposed to do.

Take your old hard drive off/out, replace with the new one. Then take your old hard drive and hook it up to the transfer cable and plug that in to the USB.

I would also power the xbox on, with the new one installed but without the USB and see if it recognizes the full 120gb HD.

sstigwood
07-06-2011, 07:44 PM
i tried all tha and nothing, it does not recognise it as a hard drive it recognises it as a memory card or summit,
i can think what else to try might just have to accept its fu**ed.

gamerguy69
07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
i tried all tha and nothing, it does not recognise it as a hard drive it recognises it as a memory card or summit,
i can think what else to try might just have to accept its fu**ed.

Isn't there a way that you can "un-configure" a USB flash drive from the 360. It may be something similar that you can do with that HDD.

Hariibo Kid x
07-06-2011, 09:18 PM
yh just format it again by going to your hard drive in your memory button in your system settings, hover over the hard drive press "Y" and click format. it should bring it back to its factory settings NOTE : this also deletes all content on the drive

Rickmassacre
07-07-2011, 01:56 AM
ok so i have done something real dumb, i plugged my new 120gb hard drive into the console via usb and memory tranfer kit, configered it and now the new hard drive has become a 16 gb memory unit, i dont know how to switch this back i just want the 120gb hard drive how it was when i insert it to the console it does not recognise a hard drive at all, have i ballsed it up or can it be saved
HELP! please

You've set it up as a memory stick
instead of a HDD
just re config again

should fix it.

MORAL OF THE STORY

ask google before you do anything.

sstigwood
07-08-2011, 11:40 AM
You've set it up as a memory stick
instead of a HDD
just re config again

should fix it.

MORAL OF THE STORY

ask google before you do anything.
my xbox only recognises it through its usb port and there is no option to re config at all

OceanH
07-13-2011, 04:00 AM
You shouldn't do things when you don't know how to do it. Plug your HDD to your computer and reformat it. You should know how to do that, right?

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/12/500x_sadhomer.jpg