PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 slim intercooler question


Accused
07-06-2011, 05:09 PM
So I have an xbox 360 slim and it never really got that hot but it would make my room really hot after a few hours of play since my room is kind of small. I bought an intercooler for it, one of the nyko ones that looks like a stupid car hood scoop and now that it's on my xbox i'm not so sure it's any better. I'm more afraid that it's going to burn out my 360 because of it's design, it completely blocks the vents and only turns on when it's really hot. Does any one else use these? Have you had problems with them?

Accused
07-07-2011, 02:32 AM
ok, answered my own question it was only "cooling" about 10% of the air the other 90% was trapped in the xbox to become scolding hot and probably would have done some damage after the first few hours of me using it.

TL;DR Don't use an intercooler.

Wickedsi
07-07-2011, 03:45 AM
My Brother warned me about getting a cooler. He aid after time your xbox will die.

Worhammer
07-07-2011, 04:40 PM
TL;DR Don't use an intercooler.
I've never used one, but I still coulda told ya that :P

StillTIPPIN187
07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Is your room a closet? Seriously though i dont see how the xbox is actually effecting the temp in your room xD

Your xbox probably does run hot but their isnt a whole lot you can do about that.. but they've put better hardware in this time so you wont have to worry about it too much. Mine is on nearly 24/7 between me and my girl and its on netflix all night long.. and its fine.

just install your games and you should surely be good.

and i would never put one of those on my xbox.. Most third party supplies do nothing to aid in things like these.

[Waggly Bean]
07-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Is your room a closet? Seriously though i dont see how the xbox is actually effecting the temp in your room xD


Computers heat up rooms, so I don't see why an Xbox wouldn't too in small room.

Also, on topic, I feel sorry for anyone who actually buys an intercooler. What a total waste of money!

adamrulz
07-07-2011, 05:24 PM
I've thought of putting a little something extra on mine, but would never buy a 3rd party deal.

I was thinking of something simple, like why not wire up a 4-5" cpu fan from radioshack, and just lay it over the existing internal fan? Just extra air output, which in turn should draw the extra through the sides of the console.

Thoughts?

Burnout x360a
07-07-2011, 05:32 PM
The intercoolers generally suck.

The heating up a room is a problem for me too, my room is very small but seeing as most games are installed it's not as bad.

MC B0B x360a
07-07-2011, 05:54 PM
not too sure about all the problems with an intercooler on the slim. I bought a slim about a year ago, and had to send it back within 2 months. My slim is kept in an entertainment center, and with all of my other components it gets very hot. When I got my new slim from the warranty claim I went and bought the intercooler. Its been about 8 months, and my slim runs much quieter and cooler, and I have had zero problems. In the past couple days I have noticed my intercooler getting noisier so I am going to take it off, and maybe purchase a new one. For me, as long as the intercooler has been running properly, it seems to be doing the job.

Bill IV
07-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Does the slim intercooler run off its own power supply or the 360's?

EMP
07-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Lol never get those intercoolers they are purely garbage just make sure to give your Xbox some space if it's near a wall or in a small area pull it away and let it breathe otherwise it gets hot fast.

Mordaire
07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
I've heard a success story or two from using them, but imho, they are generally just bad news. They run off the 360's power supply (which, in turn, makes it need to pull more power, thus creating more heat), they change the aerodynamic of the air flow by altering air pathways, and most of all (at least, to my understanding) if there's any evidence whatsoever that you've had one hooked to your system, it voids the warranty.

Mmason525
07-17-2011, 08:23 PM
So my brother bought me the intercooler about a year ago. I am not a huger gamer, but do use the xbox a lot for netflix. It sounds like the intercooler is not something I should be using?

[Waggly Bean]
07-17-2011, 09:19 PM
So my brother bought me the intercooler about a year ago. I am not a huger gamer, but do use the xbox a lot for netflix. It sounds like the intercooler is not something I should be using?

No, it's much better to just make sure your xbox is in a well ventilated area. ;)