PDA

View Full Version : Advice?? :/

TaintedTony
07-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey all, Ive been playing continuum shift for a while, and I really do like it, week by week i do improve a little, if i had more time to play i might improve alot faster but I help run a farm so time isnt something i have plenty of anymore, anyways, onto the point, I'm sure you all as a community have been asked things like this several times now, but Ive not really had the time to scour the threads, Challenge mode, i can only get about 4 missions for each charcter and at a push for a few 5 completed, this unfortunately includes all three DLC characters which from what ive heard are the easier ones to beat.
the combos I can note down and take a crack at in practise, but when I think ive mastered it i take it back to challenge mode, and my timing suddenly flies off the handle and i just cant do it, i either press the buttons too fast, or too slow, or just lose focus cos I cant do it after several attempts...has anyone got any advice on what might make this a little easier? I'd appreciate it alot :)

Plym
07-07-2011, 08:57 PM
What are you using, XBox controller, MadCatz fightpad or a stick?

TaintedTony
07-07-2011, 08:58 PM
What are you using, XBox controller, MadCatz fightpad or a stick?

Just a standard 360 controller, I use the analog stick, cos I just don't feel comfortable with the D-pad.

diabolical
07-08-2011, 09:34 AM
first: never give up, practice, practice, practice. when i started the challenge mode i felt like i never would be able to get more than 10 challenges in total.
it took me alot of time to get better, to get the feeling for chaining the moves together and to become quick in executing the input commands.
im still not done yet, 25 challenges left.

there are 2 things that helped me to progress.
1) switching from game version 1.00/1.01/1.02 to 1.03 gives you a new set of challenges for the most characters. in some cases the 1.03 challenges were easier to perform for me, than the 1.02 ones. that differs from character to character.

2) for the longer combos it helped me to learn em faster if i pause the game between the inputs. for "slow" combos you can pause the game after every input, check "display mission commands", press pause again, input the next one, pause, check. and so on. that way only helped me for some ragna an hazama missions. for most of the challenges this "trick" doesnt work because you loose too much time while hitting start/pause. but as i said, it helped me to learn longer combos faster.

yesterday i practiced valkenhayn's challenge 7 for 3 hours. i couldnt do the last hits. then i did a break, played some black ops MP with friends. after that, i went back for the challenge. after 5 minutes i beat the challenge and got the achievement.
-> dont give up. ! :)
(when i started, i couldnt even input the basic commands for some of the players, like some distortions or 360s.)

TaintedTony
07-08-2011, 06:13 PM
first: never give up, practice, practice, practice. when i started the challenge mode i felt like i never would be able to get more than 10 challenges in total.
it took me alot of time to get better, to get the feeling for chaining the moves together and to become quick in executing the input commands.
im still not done yet, 25 challenges left.

there are 2 things that helped me to progress.
1) switching from game version 1.00/1.01/1.02 to 1.03 gives you a new set of challenges for the most characters. in some cases the 1.03 challenges were easier to perform for me, than the 1.02 ones. that differs from character to character.

2) for the longer combos it helped me to learn em faster if i pause the game between the inputs. for "slow" combos you can pause the game after every input, check "display mission commands", press pause again, input the next one, pause, check. and so on. that way only helped me for some ragna an hazama missions. for most of the challenges this "trick" doesnt work because you loose too much time while hitting start/pause. but as i said, it helped me to learn longer combos faster.

yesterday i practiced valkenhayn's challenge 7 for 3 hours. i couldnt do the last hits. then i did a break, played some black ops MP with friends. after that, i went back for the challenge. after 5 minutes i beat the challenge and got the achievement.
-> dont give up. ! :)
(when i started, i couldnt even input the basic commands for some of the players, like some distortions or 360s.)

Yeahh Ive been switching versions everynow and again to see which challenges differ and Valkenhayns seem to be a little easier with an advance to the latest version, guess practising as much as possible in my limited spare time is all i can do for now, thanks for your advice :)
I know how you feel I couldnt even get through tutorial mode when i started so i gottta admit i must have made some decent progress, getting as far as hakumen on score attack mode with most characters, (i will learn to beat it soon i hope,) challenge mode is my priority though, thankyou :)

Jakez123
07-09-2011, 10:38 AM
i've noticed that in challenge mode some character normally have 2 comboes to preform for 1 challenge but for example in ragnas challenge number 6 you only have to preform 1 combo instead of 2 to complete the challenge. Does anyone here know any characters which have challenges which require 1 combo to beat to complete the challenge?

TheMetalFonzy
07-09-2011, 01:57 PM
i've noticed that in challenge mode some character normally have 2 comboes to preform for 1 challenge but for example in ragnas challenge number 6 you only have to preform 1 combo instead of 2 to complete the challenge. Does anyone here know any characters which have challenges which require 1 combo to beat to complete the challenge?

Every character is like that. From challenge 6 onwards, you only have to do one combo.

Jakez123
07-09-2011, 04:02 PM
oh ok thanks i never knew that =)

sera07
07-10-2011, 04:36 AM
--- Just to gave a few add info here ---

If u are only looking for 100 challenge ach, let do a quick maths
When u only got the game with 14 characters, u will need to finish 1-7 challenge of each of them and 2 more.
When u got all dlc and intend to get the achievements, u will need to finish 1-7 from each dlc character and finish minimum 1-5 from original character and 9 more. (In addition, Tager challenge was broken before 1.03 :uzi:)

--- Here are some more advice ---

1) Make sure your combo are red - most ppl know that but sometime new comer didn't know.
Red combo means true combo, from whatever the develop company say. All ach need to work on combo must be red. Blue combo doesn't count this way, still preform a right timing from blue combo will turn into red combo (except throw). Make sure timing is right.

2) Switch "on" to setting in training
When in training, in option, set "on and neutral" to enemy roll, ukime. Then u will find which part u miss and u may able to work on it.

3) Cut the challenge in part
Most of the challenge can be cut into different part, e.g. makoto combo 6A> JC> C.B> J> C.B> 623C> D can be find in several challenge. Master it and u will find it in challenge 4, 5, 6...
3.1) Try to do the challenge online
The funny thing is, most ppl I play online (even me) use a few combo part. Consider it like an advance challenges, but you won't regret doing this.

4) 1.02 to 1.03 ver
Like diabolical describe, different sys.ver have different challenge. A few combo on 1.02 will be much easier (e.g Hazama challenge 5 on 1.00). And oh, why I didn't mention 1.01 or 1.00? I check on 10 characters from 1.00 to 1.03 to see the different, only the changes occur in 1.03 (wall hit, damage changes, e.g lambda throw from 1000> 900, Tager drive won't hit wall)

5) In case if you intend to play more fighting games...
Other then BBCS, I borrow MvC3 from FD and the game got 360 challenges. The challenge mode is not as "trouble" as BBCS and I got 55% of it. I am not requesting to master all the challenge, but some common act like JC, DC will help you get past it.

6) Arcade stick
Seriously, not an option if u never play "ANY" game using arcade stick. It's just going to spend more time on it before u go into the challenge.

Hope it helps.

TheMetalFonzy
07-10-2011, 05:23 PM
--- Just to gave a few add info here ---

If u are only looking for 100 challenge ach, let do a quick maths
When u only got the game with 14 characters, u will need to finish 1-7 challenge of each of them and 2 more.
When u got all dlc and intend to get the achievements, u will need to finish 1-7 from each dlc character and finish minimum 1-5 from original character and 9 more. (In addition, Tager challenge was broken before 1.03 :uzi:)

--- Here are some more advice ---

1) Make sure your combo are red - most ppl know that but sometime new comer didn't know.
Red combo means true combo, from whatever the develop company say. All ach need to work on combo must be red. Blue combo doesn't count this way, still preform a right timing from blue combo will turn into red combo (except throw). Make sure timing is right.

2) Switch "on" to setting in training
When in training, in option, set "on and neutral" to enemy roll, ukime. Then u will find which part u miss and u may able to work on it.

3) Cut the challenge in part
Most of the challenge can be cut into different part, e.g. makoto combo 6A> JC> C.B> J> C.B> 623C> D can be find in several challenge. Master it and u will find it in challenge 4, 5, 6...
3.1) Try to do the challenge online
The funny thing is, most ppl I play online (even me) use a few combo part. Consider it like an advance challenges, but you won't regret doing this.

4) 1.02 to 1.03 ver
Like diabolical describe, different sys.ver have different challenge. A few combo on 1.02 will be much easier (e.g Hazama challenge 5 on 1.00). And oh, why I didn't mention 1.01 or 1.00? I check on 10 characters from 1.00 to 1.03 to see the different, only the changes occur in 1.03 (wall hit, damage changes, e.g lambda throw from 1000> 900, Tager drive won't hit wall)

5) In case if you intend to play more fighting games...
Other then BBCS, I borrow MvC3 from FD and the game got 360 challenges. The challenge mode is not as "trouble" as BBCS and I got 55% of it. I am not requesting to master all the challenge, but some common act like JC, DC will help you get past it.

6) Arcade stick
Seriously, not an option if u never play "ANY" game using arcade stick. It's just going to spend more time on it before u go into the challenge.

Hope it helps.

These are very viable tips. I will say though, if you have never used or touched and arcade/fight stick, you will not be very good. You will not become a tournament player overnight. Use what you feel comfortable with. If you feel comfortable with just using the regular 360 controller, than just use it. Like I said in a completely different post, of which I won't bother to find, it took me a good year to even be mediocre with an arcade stick. It will take some time depending on your skill level with fighting games. Also, like sera said, when in training, go to the pause menu and turn everything on to either neutral or enabled on the fifth page. I used this when I was first learning how to use Tsubaki. It took me a good week to even get the basic stuff down. Hell, even her basic challenge 3 in ver. 1.01 took me a while to get down. With a little patience and with help from some friends, you will get good.

Alpha Till
08-02-2011, 05:27 AM
i small advice which is widely known in forums like dustloop is the usage of the input buffer: when you press and hold a button, the game remembers it for the next 5 frames and performs it as soon as your character finishes the current animation. 5 frames is still pretty tight, but when i made the challenges and i didn't know about that, i felt that the only way to nail down the strict timing for certain moves was to mesh the button as fast as possible and then the move would connect... but certainly that was very frustrating^^
now, that I actually try to perform combos in real fights, I can play a lot more calmly by pressing and holding the button of choice just a little bit earlier then needed.

DarkSephiroth
08-04-2011, 01:46 AM
EDIT:
I tested it out and it worked YEY got 100 challenges and 7 for makoto and valkenhyan :D Now I have only Ranked, Gallery, Legion Hard and Score Attack (which I propably won't do)

so wait... Let's say I play 1.03 and do 4 of Ragnas challenges but can't do the fifth. I'll go and change version to 1.00 and then it's different challenge combo and if I manage to do that I have 5 cleared for Ragna?!?

I have played this game only on 1.03 (Got it from Demand about a month ago) never thought those challenges would change o_O of course I'm already done 93 but I wouldn't mind getting last 7 little bit easier :D