PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Elite from Pawnshop.

Sin-city-big-boy
07-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Hello, I wanna know if anybody think it's a good idea to buy a Xbox 360 Elite from a pawnshop. It's the 120GB one. Are the elite's good with the RROD? I hate to buy it then have it break within 8 months. For $149 I can't really go wrong..

rekikire
07-08-2011, 03:32 AM
Don't buy a second hand xbox unless you can power it up, connect it to the internet, sign into live and play a game. That's still not going to guarantee that it won't be banned in the future but at least you know it's working at that point in time.

For $199 you could buy a brand new 4 Gb.

BluWolve
07-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Don't buy a second hand xbox unless you can power it up, connect it to the internet, sign into live and play a game. That's still not going to guarantee that it won't be banned in the future but at least you know it's working at that point in time.

yeah agree with this, also want to add if you do still decide to buy it, check EVERYTHING is included! My mate bought an xbox 360 from a pawn shop, got home, plugged it in and then realised the HDD had been removed. They wouldnt give him a refund or anything so just be careful

Wildmn34
07-08-2011, 03:56 AM
The "Only" 2nd hand Xbox I would even consider is one that is a refurb and comes with at least a year warranty. Second hand xbox are a crap shoot. You could get a perfect one, or you could get one that last 30 minutes before it RROD, or one that has already been banned.

I wouldn't risk it at all.

Sin-city-big-boy
07-08-2011, 06:13 AM
The "Only" 2nd hand Xbox I would even consider is one that is a refurb and comes with at least a year warranty. Second hand xbox are a crap shoot. You could get a perfect one, or you could get one that last 30 minutes before it RROD, or one that has already been banned.

I wouldn't risk it at all.

Good point.I forgot all about that banned thing too. Cause the system looks pretty good and everything comes with it. I would just hate to play it then RROD on me. But I'll think about it.

mjc0961
07-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Yeah, make sure they either have a return policy or that they'll plug it in and connect it to the internet and sign into Live. People will get banned and sell their console off to help buy a new one. Also, it could be a RRoD'd console that someone towel tricked to make it work long enough to trade in.

I think rekikire has the right idea. For $50 more you can get a new 4GB Slim. And if you have some USB flash drives or a USB external hard drive handy, you can get yourself some storage space for saves, DLC, and Arcade games to tide you over until you save up for a 250GB HDD to slap inside it.

If you can save up money fairly quickly, it's a much safer option. But if this is more of a "I have $150 right now and I'm not getting any more money for a while" situation, I guess you'll just have to decide if the risk is worth it.

Mister Spraggsy
07-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Personaly i would never buy a secand hand Xbox unless i personaly knew the seller.
As other people have mentioned there could be so many problems with it, the main one been it could be console banned.
With the RROD it should be ok, i got an Elite not long after they came out as did a few of my mates and i used my Elite until about 6 months after the slim came out and in that time neither me or any of my mates had a problem with the Elite regarding the RROD.
My advice would simply be make sure you do the correct checks and find out if you can return it if there is any problems later on with it.

DannyAwesome
07-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Don't do it unless you have proof of a good return policy. Some pawnshops are sketchy and others are really great.

Mordaire
07-08-2011, 06:20 PM
I have to agree with most everyone, I'd never trust buying a secondhand console. Personally, I'm distrustful enough to not even buy a refurbished one. :P But that's just me. My advice would definitely be to save up $50 more if at all possible and spring for the new 4gb Slim, and get the new HDD as soon as you can. That's what I did back in March, and I haven't had a single problem with it. Aside from the vent, it never even feels warm to the touch, much let hot. Better designed for airflow than the previous systems.

MrStabby1981
07-08-2011, 10:27 PM
I bought a kinect from a pawn shop and it had no power cable they wouldent give a refund and tried loads of sales BS on me lucky i knew more about it than the guy selling it and totally stumped him his co worker could get my money out the till fast enough.

Aiden 514
07-09-2011, 07:53 AM
I only buy new things (t.v's , xboxs and laptops ect) mainly so if they don't work i can just take them back

StillTIPPIN187
07-09-2011, 11:53 AM

This

Unless that guy in the pawn shop is selling it to for under 100.. id say about 70 at the most.. you are getting ripped off.

The hard drive dont matter.. The slims can survive you dont know if that Elite can. and for fifty bucks more why even take the risk of it dying?

Spanish Assault
07-09-2011, 02:24 PM
$149 is not that great of a deal...Best Buy sells refurbished Xbox elites for that amount and they come with a warranty.

SectarianOrigin
07-09-2011, 05:53 PM
$149 is not that great of a deal...Best Buy sells refurbished Xbox elites for that amount and they come with a warranty.

This.

If you're going to buy secondhand you should get a refurbished one so you'll get a warranty. I had a launch Elite and it red ringed after about a year and a half. My replacement refurbished model from Microsoft had the DVD drive go out after a week. Traded in my third for the new slim. For $50 more I'd get the 4GB slim and upgrade the hard drive later. I know you can get an aftermarket one (and it works, I know through experience) online.

TacticalTodger
07-09-2011, 06:48 PM
The only good thing about 2nd hand xbox imo are if they're dumb and didn't delete any dlc on the HDD which have the licences

CONKER1182
07-10-2011, 06:14 AM
It's really not a good idea to buy any 360 from a pawn shop because it could have been banned from XBL and that's why it got traded in.

DarkestofFlames
07-10-2011, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't trust it. I know a couple of people that bought their XBoxs this way (even after I vehemently recommended against it). One person's died within a week and the other person's was banned due to it being tampered with. It's much better to just buy a new one that also comes with a warranty. You can pick up flash drives pretty cheaply nowadays to tide you over until you can upgrade the HDD.