PDA

View Full Version : Older DLC overpriced?

otaking live
07-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Why are older Dlc still the same price as when they first came out? I mean I would buy alot more if they simply dropped the price. Some dlc costs as much or more than the actual game! Fable 2 dlc is still 800 points each. That's 1600 and the games only 10 bucks used. The only game that I know dropped their dlc prices is katamari damacy.

I think once the game is over a year old chop the price in half.

antnie
07-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I agree games that are over 2 years old should automatically have the DLC price cut in half.

Wii187
07-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Why are older Dlc still the same price as when they first came out? I mean I would buy alot more if they simply dropped the price. Some dlc costs as much or more than the actual game! Fable 2 dlc is still 800 points each. That's 1600 and the games only 10 bucks used. The only game that I know dropped their dlc prices is katamari damacy.

I think once the game is over a year old chop the price in half.

The Fable 2 dlcs were on sale a while back. Check The Deal of the Week regularly to see if the dlc you want is on sale.

Some games and dlcs are being permanently reduced, but I don't think there's a schedule as to what will get reduced.

I would like the Puzzle Quest dlc to go on sale. 700MSP for 50GS? Come on.

ExtremeRugburn
07-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I agree that some of the older DLC should drop in price. I can only recall a few that have, but alot of DLC goes to the Deal of the week for 33%-50% off. I have seen both Fable 2 DLC on the deal of the week multiple times for 50%, hell thats when I purchased mine. Bioshock, Dragon Age, the CoD packs, Borderlands, Forza, and many others have been Deal of the Week multiple times, you just have to be patient and wait for them.

AR717
07-08-2011, 07:39 PM
I agree that some of the older DLC should drop in price. I can only recall a few that have, but alot of DLC goes to the Deal of the week for 33%-50% off. I have seen both Fable 2 DLC on the deal of the week multiple times for 50%, hell thats when I purchased mine. Bioshock, Dragon Age, the CoD packs, Borderlands, Forza, and many others have been Deal of the Week multiple times, you just have to be patient and wait for them.

They may be the deal of the week frequently but I agree that they should just drop the price permenantly for those older games...I wouldn't necessarily say 1 year old because that is not really too old but 2 years is def my opinion.

Tristan360
07-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Your absolutely right, some games with more DLC's should be able to be bought in bundles too-otherwise it's like paying for another 2 copys of the game!

Capn Doug
07-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Why should the price drop? Obviously it cost money to create the DLC, should they become money losing prospects? Occasionally DLC will get permenant price cuts, but it is up to the developer. Games drop in price because supply starts to outstrip demand. If you have dozens of copies of the game, you will cut the price to make sure you are not stuck with it. With DLC, there is no back room full of copies, it is simply waits for someone to buy a copy. That means there is no real reason to lower the price.

Tristan360
07-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Why should the price drop? Obviously it cost money to create the DLC, should they become money losing prospects? Occasionally DLC will get permenant price cuts, but it is up to the developer. Games drop in price because supply starts to outstrip demand. If you have dozens of copies of the game, you will cut the price to make sure you are not stuck with it. With DLC, there is no back room full of copies, it is simply waits for someone to buy a copy. That means there is no real reason to lower the price.
That's a fair point but if the price was lowered then alot more people would potentionally buy the dlc making it a worthwhile thing to do overtime.

xBurnleyxFC
07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
I agree with the OP.

Making DLC cheaper for older games would probably mean I would buy more and thus boost my completion percentage!

Tristan360
07-08-2011, 08:07 PM
What does OP mean?

TheRedComet
07-08-2011, 08:21 PM
What does OP mean?

Original poster.

The thing with older DLC is that at times it will be released on disc later with the game. A good example, especially for the OP is Fable II. You can buy it now for $20 with all the DLC on an installation disc. Forza 2 also did this. $20 for the game and EVERY DLC car and track, even all the pre-order bonus cars. Fallout 3: GotY Edition also includes all the DLC but it was released at regular price of $60, but you get I think $40 worth of DLC free. So sometimes you can just wait it out and get it that way.

Tristan360
07-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh, ok i see-I thought it was a term that i a noob for not knowing :)

Chaosx721
07-08-2011, 08:37 PM
That's a fair point but if the price was lowered then alot more people would potentionally buy the dlc making it a worthwhile thing to do overtime.
If it was known that DLC price was cut in half after a certain amount of months, a lot of people would just wait for it and not getting day one. I know I for sure would.

Spanish Assault
07-08-2011, 08:47 PM
this makes sense...I dont think it should be overpriced, but it makes sense.

Capn Doug
07-08-2011, 08:48 PM
If it was known that DLC price was cut in half after a certain amount of months, a lot of people would just wait for it and not getting day one. I know I for sure would.

That's also the reason why they don't announce Deal of the week and holiday specials that far in advance. They don't want to depress the market in the days leading up to it. That really means that if you were going to buy it, you actually wanted it, but if you are waiting for DotW, you are probably on the fence. That means the purchases when they are on sale are really just bonus sales.

sm182
07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
They dropped the price of a few pieces of ancient DLC last year to 80pts a piece (mostly MS stuff like PGR4, Lost Odyssey, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero but some others like Beautiful Katamari, Phantasy Star Universe, etc).

They might do something similar annually from now on for older DLC so you might be in luck.

Eludingkarma
07-08-2011, 09:02 PM
If they're not going to drop the price they should at least make package deals. How many dlc are there for you don't know jack now? 4? And they're each 400pts. Why can't I have the option of getting them all at once for 800-1200 pts?

Arduous Wolf
07-08-2011, 09:06 PM

Yes and No. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this. If I really love a game and can't wait for my next fix I will make a day one purchase even if I know it would be discounted in a few months.

However if the game was just OK I would then wait. Also if I didn't really like the game but the DLC looked interesting I would be willing to give it a chance at a discounted price.

I agree with the OP, after a few years it should be permanently discounted. Depreciation is a fact of life, as things get older they lose value, there is no reason why digital media should be exempt from this. Lowering the price of older DLC will encourage new buyers and make more money in the long run.

otaking live
07-08-2011, 09:24 PM
I agree. If I buy a game on day 1, I'm certainly not going to sit on it for a year or two just to get the dlc cheaper. That would be crazy. I would like to buy some dlc just for the sake of having it. Its the collector in me. But a game like call of duty 3 which is 3 years old the dlc is the SAME PRICE as day one. I'm not going to play it doubtful but would still like to get it.

Worhammer
07-08-2011, 09:33 PM
The thing you have to think about is that when you say "a lot more copies would be sold if the price was dropped" - while that is true, you also have to consider the math:

1 person paying 1200 MSP for one map pack, vs. 2 people paying 600 is the same thing. You would have to drop it to 800 MSP and be POSITIVE that for every 1 you would've sold at 1200, 2 people will buy it at 800 or you are going to start losing money.

Or you could drop it to 600 and hope that 3 people bought it. However, with the older games, this just isn't as likely. Most gamers buy games new, or at least within the first year or so of their release. Sure, you pick up bargain bin games once in awhile, but those are generally only the older crappy games that you'd never pay anything close to full price for (IE, easy cheevo games for me. Maybe for you it's something else.)

Anyway, the companies have to consider if it's better for them to leave the price at 1200 MSP and just figure that people will buy it at that price, unless they can be sure that they'll get more (or at the very least, the same) by lowering it slightly or significantly.

Now these are permanent price drops. When we consider the DotW or the holiday sales, it's a generally accepted marketing idea that they always sell more than usual, even though they are discounted, because people say "Oh, I want that and it's on sale. I better get it now instead of waiting!"

So you have people like me who buy tons of DLC and XBLA games on sale.....

and then never play them. This is where most of my backlog comes from. I don't feel like buying DLC at full price, or an XBLA game, but I do want it. So when it goes on sale, I buy it. However, I'm so busy playing new games that I never get around to playing the stuff I buy on sale. So....it's a mental thing, ya see?