PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds and avatar items free?

otaking live
07-08-2011, 07:21 PM
It is to my understanding that playstation gives you free backgrounds, user items etc based on their trophy amount. I think Xbox should do something similar. Such as every 5000 gamerscore you can get a free 400 ms point background or avatar outfit. I find most of that stuff way overpriced anyway and would like to see some kinda reward for achievement score. There should be milestone ones as well such as 50000 and 100000. Maybe a free arcade download or something.

Anyone agree??

ExtremeRugburn
07-08-2011, 07:25 PM
That sounds nice for people who want/like that sort of thing. Personally I dont care about backgrounds and avatar crap. The only avatar item I ever bought was the Gears 3 Save Carmine T-Shirt and only because some of the proceeds went to a charity. As for giving you stuff for gamer score, well several games do give you backgrounds and avatar items for getting achievements or playing the game.

Capn Doug
07-08-2011, 07:30 PM
The problem is that the reward system would not discriminate between legitimate gamerscore and hacking or glitching. Gamerscore is nothing but a number to proud of, why try and make it something more?

Tristan360
07-08-2011, 07:47 PM
YES, I am 100% behind you PS3 players seem to recieve alot more for free or cheaper than us Xbox players, which MS should do something about otherwise they may just be losing players to PS3 due to the overpriced content found everywhere on the Xbox marketplace!!!

Tristan360
07-08-2011, 07:49 PM
The problem is that the reward system would not discriminate between legitimate gamerscore and hacking or glitching. Gamerscore is nothing but a number to proud of, why try and make it something more?
I am sure hacked people can be found out and when they are they should pay the price and have something like a year ban rather than a reset of gamerscore. Also a rewards system makes you more proud of the fact you have a high gamescore count compared to others!

Capn Doug
07-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I am sure hacked people can be found out and when they are they should pay the price and have something like a year ban rather than a reset of gamerscore. Also a rewards system makes you more proud of the fact you have a high gamescore count compared to others!

The reward you get for having a high gamerscore is the admiration of people you will never actually meet. People should be playing games because they like the games, not because they will get some reward for finishing Avatar.

A shirt for your avatar saying 50k, 100k, 200k, etc? That wouldn't be a problem, but MSP as a reward for gamerscore would. Remember the story of the kid who hacked his account to get the Recon Armour in Halo and you will start to see the problem. The only way I see it making any sort of sense is if you were to get an item that cannot be obtained any other way, and is of no significance other than showing off your accomplishment.

Tristan360
07-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah you're right and thats a good idea as well.

otaking live
07-08-2011, 09:16 PM
MS should simply figure out some reward program. It would get people playing more and keeping their games longer. Im not saying its for everyone but little something never hurts. Look at all those sold or rented copies of Avatar just to give away a few MSPs worth of avatar gear? Seems better for them in the long run.

Eludingkarma
07-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Isn't that what the avatar awards are?

Worhammer
07-09-2011, 04:19 AM
YES, I am 100% behind you PS3 players seem to recieve alot more for free or cheaper than us Xbox players, which MS should do something about otherwise they may just be losing players to PS3 due to the overpriced content found everywhere on the Xbox marketplace!!!
If we were to "lose" anyone because of "overpriced" items on the marketplace, I say "Don't let the door hit ya in the rear on the way out."

And I am sure Microsoft feels the same way. Goodbye, and good riddance. Go freeload off the PS3 if ya like it so much, and don't come crying to us when your credit info gets stolen....again....

Kunduz
07-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Isn't that what the avatar awards are?
Exactly, there's also unlockable dashboard themes, gamerpics and more tied to certain achievements.

So OP stop your whining :P

Louman
07-09-2011, 04:45 AM

I don't think that is true. We have not been hacked! As for content being to expensive... I've spent more on stupid stuff I will not disclose here. I'm fine with what the market place offers. They have sweet weekly deals too. I'm not trying to diss your opinion either, just saying I'm ok with the marketplace.

Spanish Assault
07-09-2011, 02:27 PM
It is to my understanding that playstation gives you free backgrounds, user items etc based on their trophy amount. I think Xbox should do something similar. Such as every 5000 gamerscore you can get a free 400 ms point background or avatar outfit. I find most of that stuff way overpriced anyway and would like to see some kinda reward for achievement score. There should be milestone ones as well such as 50000 and 100000. Maybe a free arcade download or something.

Anyone agree??
#1 Xbox Live Rewards...

#2 If Xbox users aren't using the PS3 service now (which is free), we defintly wont be leaving over not getting free background themes (which we do, I got Reach and Homefront premium themes for free). Live is just a better experience.

otaking live
07-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Lol. I'm not whining too much. :). I'm just saying it would be nice to have gamerscore rewards. Guess not many people like free items. Its so strange. Guess if you want to pay for everything and have no rewards that's cool.

I'm familiar with the around 5 games out of 500 that unlock themes and avatar items. They are cool but few and far between.

what are the avatar awards? Had my box since day one and never heard of it?

Tristan360
07-09-2011, 04:32 PM
#1 Xbox Live Rewards...

I am 15 and I can't recieve the benefits of Xbox Live Rewards (which you have to be 18+ to join), and as a majority of the people who play Xbox are between the ages say 14-18 this means that alot of people do miss out.

Capn Doug
07-09-2011, 04:33 PM

They started putting them in games about a year and a half ago. Basically, if you unlock an achievement in a game, you get a shirt of a prop or something for your avatar to show off that you did it. My avatar is wearing the shirt you get for beating LIMBO without dying too much, the mask for beating every challenge in Raskulls and the Portal gun and companion cube props for doing something in Portal 2. All in all, I have 15 different games that give me avatar awards, and a lot of the newer games have them. I even have a glitched avatar item, so it is just like achievements, that way.

The other thing is the UPlay rewards in newer Ubisoft games. Unlock achievements get points to download themes and such. The big thing about both of these: they have no relation to gamerscore. It is a developer putting these in, not a unifying system put in by Microsoft.

Edit:
#1 Xbox Live Rewards...

I am 15 and I can't recieve the benefits of Xbox Live Rewards (which you have to be 18+ to join), and as a majority of the people who play Xbox are between the ages say 14-18 this means that alot of people do miss out.

I can't join because I am Canadian, but to your point that the average gamer is 14-18: no, just no. The average gamer is in their late twenties or earliy thirties according to most studies.

punker
07-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I can't join because I am Canadian, but to your point that the average gamer is 14-18: no, just no. The average gamer is in their late twenties or earliy thirties according to most studies.

You can so--

http://rewards.xbox.com/faq/

Xbox LIVE Rewards is open to free and Gold Xbox LIVE members who live in the United States, United Kingdom, or Canada and are 18 years or older.

And yeah... I think the last study I read put the average gamer age at 32, give or take a year.

otaking live
07-09-2011, 05:02 PM
You can so--

http://rewards.xbox.com/faq/

And yeah... I think the last study I read put the average gamer age at 32, give or take a year.

Interesting! Thanks for that link. Gonna check it out right now.

Spanish Assault
07-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Lol. I'm not whining too much. :). I'm just saying it would be nice to have gamerscore rewards. Guess not many people like free items. Its so strange. Guess if you want to pay for everything and have no rewards that's cool.

I'm familiar with the around 5 games out of 500 that unlock themes and avatar items. They are cool but few and far between.

I like free stuff, but I also an willing to pay for quailty and saftey. I have yet to get my info hacked from xbox...and I can only remeber 1 time not being able to access live for more then a day....can you say that about PS3 and their "free stuff"?

#1 Xbox Live Rewards...

Nope...so clueless...

The average game player is 37 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.

Source: LINK (http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp)

Worhammer
07-09-2011, 11:58 PM
I like free stuff, but I also an willing to pay for quailty and saftey. I have yet to get my info hacked from xbox...and I can only remeber 1 time not being able to access live for more then a day....can you say that about PS3 and their "free stuff"?

Nope...so clueless...

Source: LINK (http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp)
Don't forget this one:

Forty-two percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).

Owned.

Thanks, I was just about to Google (except I use bing :P) gamer age statistics. Saved me the trouble.

I also totally agree with your first statement. I don't mind paying extra for quality, safety, but MOST importantly, less whiny little kids.

Burning Karma
07-10-2011, 02:35 AM
Wait, hold up. The real issue here is I can get free themes on my PS3 just by having a required trophy amount. DO TELL ME MORE!

x GrumpyNinja x
07-10-2011, 04:26 AM
it would be cool to get a free t shirt for your avatar once you break the 50,000 and 100,000 and so on marks. just a shirt that says 50k er 100k and so on. that would be cool.

Starstrukk X360A
07-10-2011, 04:37 AM

Swanton_bomb91
07-10-2011, 04:51 AM
yeah thatd be awesome if they did that

i do believe that microsoft points should be cheaper

Spanish Assault
07-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Don't forget this one:

Forty-two percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).

Owned.

Thanks, I was just about to Google (except I use bing :P) gamer age statistics. Saved me the trouble.

I also totally agree with your first statement. I don't mind paying extra for quality, safety, but MOST importantly, less whiny little kids.

yeah alot less whiny kids....parents aren't quick to drop $60 on little johnny so he can sing in the lobby.

Wait, hold up. The real issue here is I can get free themes on my PS3 just by having a required trophy amount. DO TELL ME MORE!

ok...I can get free themes on xbox...just for logging on.

yeah thatd be awesome if they did that

i do believe that microsoft points should be cheaper

Nice double post....go spam post somewhere else.

Top Card
07-10-2011, 05:53 AM
I personally have also put this to mind several times. I figured with something like this, there should be a reward every 5,000 gamerscore. This will make non-achievement hunters more into hunting for achievements. Each [thing] unlocked per 5,000 gamerscore milestone should be unique and only accessible through gamerscore milestones. Ex: A Shirt that says: Achievement Unlocked: Get to 20,000G.

Just my personal opinion.

Spanish Assault
07-10-2011, 03:38 PM
I personally have also put this to mind several times. I figured with something like this, there should be a reward every 5,000 gamerscore. This will make non-achievement hunters more into hunting for achievements. Each [thing] unlocked per 5,000 gamerscore milestone should be unique and only accessible through gamerscore milestones. Ex: A Shirt that says: Achievement Unlocked: Get to 20,000G.

Just my personal opinion.
Honestly I stop grinding achievements 6 months ago...a t-shirt for my avatar wont make me start again.

Same thing for my buddy, he plays what he wants just to have fun...he could care less for a t-shirt for his avatar.

Now if you are talking MSP, I'm sure that would sway me.

Capn Doug
07-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Honestly I stop grinding achievements 6 months ago...a t-shirt for my avatar wont make me start again.

Same thing for my buddy, he plays what he wants just to have fun...he could care less for a t-shirt for his avatar.

Now if you are talking MSP, I'm sure that would sway me.

That's kind of the point I was making. Whatever is given away can't be something that people will cheat to get (like MSP). In order to actually work, it would need to be something that is just a bonus for playing normally.

CONKER1182
07-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Theirs Xbox rewards if you do certain things you get MSP for doing that. rewards.xbox.com

otaking live
07-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Joined Xbox live rewards. Very cool. However it has nothing to do with gamerscore.

13ip0lar
07-11-2011, 05:19 AM

Anyone agree??

That sounds nice for people who want/like that sort of thing. Personally I dont care about backgrounds and avatar crap. The only avatar item I ever bought was the Gears 3 Save Carmine T-Shirt and only because some of the proceeds went to a charity. As for giving you stuff for gamer score, well several games do give you backgrounds and avatar items for getting achievements or playing the game.

True, but it would actually mean that gamerscore actually means something. I would be all for it, but then again I'm in the minority. The majority of people here do it just for lulz, and bragging rights. Which is an argument I don't want to get into. I just feel that GS atm is kinda lame, and really only do it when I feel the cheeb will be fun, and extend the gameplay of said game.

TAI JASON
07-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Would be cool to get anwards for beeing XBL Member for years. It canīt be hacked and it would be a right decession.

By the way: Every game got a code on the disc, i donīt understand why MS donīt do anything against the piracy (ok, stupid updates which crash the consoles of the normal gamers). I think itīs to expensive in the end. If MS would be do this they would defeat every cheating or hacking. So everyone get awards for Gamerscore. I donīt think MS points will work, but Avatar items and pics/themes would be cool.

TriRock
07-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Not surprised. Since Sony has slight network problems, they have to come up with alternative ways to keep their customers happy. I'm much happier with XBL working all the time so I can play games.

And in addition, I detest the 'gimme! gimme! gimme! moremoremore!' attitude. If you want something, pay for it, don't moan it should be free.

otaking live
07-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Not surprised. Since Sony has slight network problems, they have to come up with alternative ways to keep their customers happy. I'm much happier with XBL working all the time so I can play games.

And in addition, I detest the 'gimme! gimme! gimme! moremoremore!' attitude. If you want something, pay for it, don't moan it should be free.

What does Sony's network hack issues have to do with gamerscore? Not sure why everyone keeps bringing it up.

Oh so you don't like or approve of award programs? You don't think member loyalty programs are any good? I mean nearly every company around lately has them. Food, retail, etc. So next time I'm getting a free pizza or tank of gas I'll remember that you just paid for yours.

Spanish Assault
07-11-2011, 10:12 PM
What does Sony's network hack issues have to do with gamerscore? Not sure why everyone keeps bringing it up.

You compared xbox live to PSN and said they give away free stuff...so we are saying we would rather not have free stuff and a secure network

Oh so you don't like or approve of award programs? You don't think member loyalty programs are any good? I mean nearly every company around lately has them. Food, retail, etc. So next time I'm getting a free pizza or tank of gas I'll remember that you just paid for yours.

Accept you are not getting it for free...don't you think they compensate the price of stuff so that the 5th free item is paid for by the smaller price increses on the first 4 items? You have a lot to learn in life....so many let down's will be in your future.

otaking live
07-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Lol. Above post funny. Heard you like cheevo's? Don't you like cheevo's???

But seriously I compared their trophy program to the achievement program.

And no they do not compensate their prices to adjust to their rewards program. OMG people who talk about stuff they clearly do not understand. As a long graduated business major its been my job a few times to deal with reward programs. Take a gas station for example. If they raised their prices they could not compete as their prices would be higher than everyone else. Its called doing freebies to try and corner more of the market. Steal away other companies customers. Why go to company one if company two gives you more?

Now I cannot stand my ps3 so I'm not trying to hype them so relax. Chill out and go earn some cheevo's. :D. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Spanish Assault
07-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Lol. Above post funny. Heard you like cheevo's? Don't you like cheevo's???

But seriously I compared their trophy program to the achievement program.

And no they do not compensate their prices to adjust to their rewards program. OMG people who talk about stuff they clearly do not understand. As a long graduated business major its been my job a few times to deal with reward programs. Take a gas station for example. If they raised their prices they could not compete as their prices would be higher than everyone else. Its called doing freebies to try and corner more of the market. Steal away other companies customers. Why go to company one if company two gives you more?

Now I cannot stand my ps3 so I'm not trying to hype them so relax. Chill out and go earn some cheevo's. :D. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Dont do that sounds like a really bad cereal that give you the runs...

A good example of a free item not being free is Best Buy's buy 2 get one free...alot of the games that are $19.95 can be purchased cheaper new somewhere else.

otaking live
07-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Lol. That would be some terrible cereal. But I would probably still buy a box.....

But anyway after listening to my newborn cry for a few minutes he kinda sounded like our internet argument. Turning into a bit of a drama llama. So I apologize for getting crazy.

Now I'm going to go earn some......achievements. :)

Worhammer
07-12-2011, 02:03 AM

I'm pretty sure that rewards.xbox.com is...I don't know....a rewards program...for members....who are loyal....

So what's your point? Your arguments are very circular.

"Hey, I should get free stuff!"
"Um yeah...we do get free stuff!"
"No we don't!"
"Yes we do. It's right here. (link)"
"SONY GIVES YOU FREE STUFF!"
"......"
"EVERYBODY GIVES OUT FREE STUFF! I JUST GOT FREE PIZZA!!"
"......"

otaking live
07-12-2011, 04:37 AM
As I mentioned earlier.....which I guess you didn't read. The rewards program is cool. But has nothing to do with gamerscore. To much GITS is your problem.

Pizza? Mmmmmm.

TAI JASON
07-12-2011, 06:00 AM
The reward program donīt run in germany i think. If i look on my US account i can see every day how MS prefer some countrys and which they donīt support. Last FM? Nooooo way, NetFlix? Nooooo way, much more freestuff? Nooooo way....it sucks, besides that i canīt even download some things, because there region locked....

Itīs so funny because we are one of the three great markets for video games in the world. Thank you MS.

Nintendo is a big way better then both (Sony, MS). You can open a free club nintendo account, give in the code for registration you get in most of the game package and get free stuff, some of the things there a just great for fans.

RIIIPPER
07-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Each country and company is going to be different. When my sister lived in England, she got stuff I didn't and vice versa. My friends with PS3's get some stuff I don't get and vice versa. And that is not just exclusive to video games, either. Anyone seriously into DVDs or BluRays have the same issues -- there are many releases in Japan and England I'd love to have. I even got a region free DVD player for that reason.

However, when it comes to getting free stuff, ALL of the systems do it. Just like all companies do it in some way. Free items, BOGO, coupons, whatever. If MS doesn't give you as much as Sony, and that is going to be your deciding factor on which system to play on or purchase, PLEASE feel free to go to Sony.

I enjoy my games. I enjoy my systems. I chose the systems that have fit best with my wants and needs as a gamer (for over 30 years now). If free avatar items and backgrounds are your main reason to game... I feel sorry for you, but will certainly not stop you from getting a PS3 (or Nintendo, IPad, whatever).

You will not be missed by any hardcore gamer, and not by most "soft" core (that sounds dirty!) gamers either. The gaming market is a lot wider and more diverse than it has ever been. There are gaming platforms for every taste, it seems that Xbox may not be yours. I wish you luck.

Worhammer
07-12-2011, 03:59 PM
As I mentioned earlier.....which I guess you didn't read. The rewards program is cool. But has nothing to do with gamerscore. To much GITS is your problem.

Pizza? Mmmmmm.
Just because the rewards program isn't rewarding you the way you want it to, does not mean there is no rewards program for the 360.

My point stands.

Spanish Assault
07-13-2011, 01:21 AM
Just because the rewards program isn't rewarding you the way you want it to, does not mean there is no rewards program for the 360.

My point stands.
your point is also backed by most of the people on this thread,

otaking live
07-13-2011, 01:48 AM
I wasn't going to post in this thread again since its gotten off topic (dont get me started on what riiiper said). But the original topic was GAMERSCORE rewards. Not rewards for renewing your subscription or watching netflix. My god stick to the original topic.

I simply said it would be nice to have. Didn't need to get attacked by so many Xbox fanboy elitists that seem to just be horny over all things Xbox and their own opinions.

Either way have fun cuz I'm out of this madness.

OceanH
07-13-2011, 03:41 AM
You don't even need to attain a specific level in PSN to get free stuff: there's already lots of free stuff every week where you have to pay for the equivalent on XBL.

Prime example: Battlefield 3 theme is free on PSN while you have to pay 240MSP on XBL.

Btw, secure VS non-secure network is just dumb fanboy argument. No network is secure enough.

Spanish Assault
07-13-2011, 04:53 AM
You don't even need to attain a specific level in PSN to get free stuff: there's already lots of free stuff every week where you have to pay for the equivalent on XBL.

Prime example: Battlefield 3 theme is free on PSN while you have to pay 240MSP on XBL.

Btw, secure VS non-secure network is just dumb fanboy argument. No network is secure enough.
one of the dumbest things I ever read....I love how if you dont agree with a point of view it's "FANBOY". Do you even know what fanboy means? LINK (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy) (#3 is my favorite, defines you).

PSN has been hacked twice. Live has been hacked ZERO times...which makes that point true...which defeats your "fanboy" defense

BluWolve
07-13-2011, 04:57 AM
I know this is sort of off topic, but everyone who is 'complaining' (not directed at you OP I know you were not complaining) about how the psn gets heaps of free stuff, Just look at my thread. It is still growing everyday might I add. There is a link in my Sig or HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=318598)

OT: I would enjoy an exclusive avatar item or something when you reach a certain milestone in GS but I do not care that there is not one. The amount of free stuff we get already is ridiculous so I am quite happy with my xbox live service when it comes to that sort of thing. I have other issues with XBL but that is going too far off topic.

TAI JASON
07-13-2011, 06:13 AM
one of the dumbest things I ever read....I love how if you dont agree with a point of view it's "FANBOY". Do you even know what fanboy means? LINK (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy) (#3 is my favorite, defines you).

PSN has been hacked twice. Live has been hacked ZERO times...which makes that point true...which defeats your "fanboy" defense

Not realy cool. Itīs extreme off topic btw. The hack has nothing to do with rewards or freestuff. Last time on PSN i dowload a hell of new gamerpics, themes and add ons.

I donīt say a word about hacking, nearly all things can be hacked and i would say nothing about this, we should be happy that Xbl donīt get a hack too.

I love the Xbox and the marketplace much more, but MS rip off the gamers. The Avatar items and most of the marketplace is overpriced, but as long as XxQuickscoperNoobz1859xX dowload a CoD costume for 240 MS points, nothing changes.

I remember Xbl back in the days, much more freestuff, even arcade games were free sometimes. Thats all i have to say.

...and the old dashboard, oh how i miss you ;(

otaking live
07-13-2011, 07:51 AM
OMG I can't believe I got sucked back into this thread. Just had to say bluwolve and tai Jason? You guys are alright. :)

Yeah it would be cool to have like a 100000 avatar gear package or something. I mean not really for me but for other people. By the time I hit 100000 I'm sure the 720 will be out. I don't think they could make enough Hannah Montana games for me to boost with. Lololol.

Spanish Assault
07-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Not realy cool. Itīs extreme off topic btw. The hack has nothing to do with rewards or freestuff. Last time on PSN i dowload a hell of new gamerpics, themes and add ons.

I donīt say a word about hacking, nearly all things can be hacked and i would say nothing about this, we should be happy that Xbl donīt get a hack too.

I love the Xbox and the marketplace much more, but MS rip off the gamers. The Avatar items and most of the marketplace is overpriced, but as long as XxQuickscoperNoobz1859xX dowload a CoD costume for 240 MS points, nothing changes.

I remember Xbl back in the days, much more freestuff, even arcade games were free sometimes. Thats all i have to say.

...and the old dashboard, oh how i miss you ;(
I honestly can't believe how you jumped to this conclusion...unless you haven't be following the discussion. Lets recap:

OP: OMG we should have free stuff.
member #1: we do, xbox live rewards and etc.
member #2: I agree OP like PS3
myself: yeah we get free stuff and I would rather get less free stuff and more security.
oblivious member #1: rewards has nothing to do with hacking and if you say PSN is worse cause it was hacked then you are a fanboy.
Myself: I never said security had to do anything with free stuff and I;m pretty sure Im not a fanboy....

then you jumped in with your 2 cents....

So not sure how I'm off topic and this really mean guy...but whatever.