PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to XBL with Laptop?

Drewdude1023
07-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Okay, so I'm going to be moving into a new apartment when I head back to school in August. I have to move in on a Saturday. I won't be able to set up XBL because they control the network and they won't help me on the weekend. Laptops can automatically connect to their network so could I get XBL through my laptop during this 2 day period?

poseyfan28
07-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I dont think so, i havent tried it but it would be interesting to find out.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Ive got live through my laptop before, if you need to know how

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-your-laptop-as-an-XboxXbox-360-wireless-adap/#step1

* a little dated but should be sufficient

poseyfan28
07-08-2011, 09:44 PM
oh there you go lol

Neverender
07-09-2011, 01:21 AM
That's how I get on Live now, but I use a desktop. As long as it has an Ethernet port, though, it should work.

The link KNIGHTOFSERA posted isn't the way I do it, and according to the article it has some bad side effects for your Ethernet port. The way I do it is with an Ethernet switch (they're cheap, like $10). Just run an Ethernet cord from your laptop to the in-line (probably not the technical term) on the switch, and one from the Xbox 360 into one of the out-lines (again, not the technical term). As soon as I did that, my 360 was able to connect with no problem.

Drewdude1023
07-11-2011, 03:25 AM
the person from the realty company said that I would have to provide them with my MAC address. They provide the modem and I provide the wireless router. Would getting the connection from the laptop allow me to get around giving them the MAC address? I don't want to have to wait those 2 days to get XBL.

Neverender
07-11-2011, 03:48 AM
With the method I mentioned, as long as you've got an Internet connection on your laptop, an Ethernet switch, and two Ethernet cords you'll be able to get on Live. Provided you're still able to access the Internet somehow, you don't need to give anyone any information, including your MAC Address.

Drewdude1023
07-11-2011, 04:05 AM
Also, does my MAC address automatically change when I connect my XBox to a different network or does it stay the same no matter where the XBox is? Because if it does not change, I might be able to get maintainance to allow the MAC address access to the network prior to moving in since I'm moving in on a Saturday and they don't work Saturdays except for emergencies.

Drewdude1023
07-25-2011, 06:24 AM
So should the laptop be able to give the connection to the Xbox and get around the MAC address issue. Also, would I have to do port forwarding for the XBox or the PC? Does the PC have the same IP address as the XBox if there is connection sharing?

ilold
07-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Also, does my MAC address automatically change when I connect my XBox to a different network or does it stay the same no matter where the XBox is? Because if it does not change, I might be able to get maintainance to allow the MAC address access to the network prior to moving in since I'm moving in on a Saturday and they don't work Saturdays except for emergencies.

So should the laptop be able to give the connection to the Xbox and get around the MAC address issue. Also, would I have to do port forwarding for the XBox or the PC? Does the PC have the same IP address as the XBox if there is connection sharing?
i wouldn't care about that. i don't even know what a MAC address is and i can use my laptop to connect to xbl

Lemonlimes249
07-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Ive got live through my laptop before, if you need to know how

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-your-laptop-as-an-XboxXbox-360-wireless-adap/#step1

* a little dated but should be sufficient

Yeah what he said :p

Neverender
07-25-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm not 100%, but I think the 360 will share the same IP. As for port forwarding, I don't know what that means, so if you're doing what I said, you won't have to do it.

Your MAC Address is tied to your network connectivity device. If you connect via Wi-Fi, it'll use the address of your adapter. Using my method, your 360 is essentially just sharing the connection your laptop can get. So, assuming you are using Wi-Fi (since the information may slightly vary if it's another network type, not sure), your 360 will be using the same networking device (and as such, the same MAC Address) as your laptop. So the MAC Address your 360 is using will be the same as your laptop's, and as long as that's cleared your 360 should be, too.

And on the same note, if you connect your 360 via a different network connectivity device (like a 360 wi-fi adapter), its MAC Address will change. I assume the tech people should be able to make that change fairly easily once they're back, though.

If you need help finding your MAC Address, just follow the instructions at one of these links:
For Vista/Windows 7 (http://www.stevens.edu/itwiki/w/index.php/Find_a_MAC_Address_on_Windows_Vista)
For Older Operating Systems (http://www-dcn.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/)

Drewdude1023
07-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Would I be able to give them the MAC address before I move in (I'm using wireless right now and I will still use wireless when I move in)? Or would the MAC address change even though I'm using the same XBox wireless adapter? I might be using a different router though, but the adapter is going to be the same one.

Neverender
07-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Would I be able to give them the MAC address before I move in (I'm using wireless right now and I will still use wireless when I move in)? Or would the MAC address change even though I'm using the same XBox wireless adapter? I might be using a different router though, but the adapter is going to be the same one.
If you're using a Wi-Fi card, you can give them the MAC Address now and it'll be the same when you get there.

If it's some other networking card (like the 360 Adapter), I'm not so sure (I've only had experience with Wi-Fi ones). I would assume it would remain the same since all MAC Addresses I know of are static, but I wouldn't put it beyond Microsoft to do some weird networking thing that messes stuff up. If you have access to two networks, you could try connecting it to both and seeing if the MAC Address changes, but if you don't, the laptop and Ethernet switch are a safe bet.

As for the router, I'm not 100% sure since I use a switch. I don't think it would make a difference, but I'd wait until the tech people can assist you to be on the safe side for that. You can still use the laptop method as long as the laptop can connect, so the only hassle until the tech people can help would be that your laptop has to be on and connected (and probably plugged in, depending on its battery capacity) for you to get on XBL.

Drewdude1023
07-25-2011, 09:54 PM
The guy jsut responded to my email and he said he would be able to add the XBox to the exceptions remotely when I move in. Also, since I'll be living in an apartment, I want to password protect my WiFi. Would that interfere with Live at all or would I simply be able to enter the password on the XBox?

SavannasauR
07-25-2011, 10:39 PM
I use my laptop to get my xbox live now. I can't exactly remember how I got it to work but it has something to do with the sharing center. Youtube has some really good tutorials on how to get it done :)

Neverender
07-26-2011, 12:47 AM
The guy jsut responded to my email and he said he would be able to add the XBox to the exceptions remotely when I move in. Also, since I'll be living in an apartment, I want to password protect my WiFi. Would that interfere with Live at all or would I simply be able to enter the password on the XBox?
I don't know from experience, but a quick Google search tells me that it'll ask you to enter your password at some point. Several people have encountered problems with third party adapters, though, so if you have one you might want to do a little research before you set it up.

Burning Karma
07-26-2011, 02:29 AM
No, it shouldn't. Like Neverender said, it should just ask for your password the first time you try to connect to it. After that, it should connect automatically.