PDA

View Full Version : question for any 360 slim users

Ultron18
07-10-2011, 03:48 AM
I'm thinking about upgrading my box and buying the new gears slim model in September and I was wondering what peoples experiences with the slim was like? Has anyone had any difficulties with it? Is the fail rate lower than the elite line?

Also I've heard that they once again redesigned the chipset and the new version should come in the gears console, does anyone know if this is true?

I've had my current box for almost two years now with no problems and if the new slim is just as problem prone as all the other boxes I might just hold on to my current box as long as I can. Already been through 2 boxes before I got a reliable one.

Thanks! =)

Dumbdumbjr
07-10-2011, 04:08 AM
I got the limited edition halo reach one and I'd say it works just fine. It works just as well as my old pro, the only big difference being the noise. The slim is much much more quiet and I really like that. The extra USB ports are also great.

PamdemoniumXOXO
07-10-2011, 04:09 AM
Some people still do have some problems with the slim version, although most of the defective returns I saw happened right when the slims were released. Not many have come back to our store recently.

And yes, the chipset in the Gears slim model is a slightly different than the first slims. If I remember properly, they combined a few of the chips into a single chip, which will supposedly help in some way or another (Sorry, I don't remember what or how exactly; I just remember reading the information at work xD ).

BluWolve
07-10-2011, 04:15 AM
I own a slim and have to say there IMO there is no BIG difference, but alot of little oness. To mention a few that spring to mind; Extra USB ports, Quieter, Kinect Compatible (don't need a power adaptor), optical audio, wireless network adapter, 250 gb HDD etc. The list goes on. I am really happy with all these small changes, and have never had a problem so far. Although I have only had my slim for less than a year so I guess time will tell. I personally think the slim looks sexier too. ;)

CONKER1182
07-10-2011, 06:11 AM
I've had no problems with my Xbox 360 slim and I hope you don't get a defective Gears slim in September.

Coadster1
07-10-2011, 06:12 AM
I've had my slim for about a year and yet to have any problems. It runs much smoother and quieter than previous versions. The built in wi-fi comes in handy if you take it places or are not able to connect via Ethernet. Some people complain about the power and eject disc buttons being to sensitive since they are touch activated, not really a button anymore, but it doesn't bother me at all. I reccomend it to anyone dedicated and that plays a lot. I love mine!

StillTIPPIN187
07-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Some people still do have some problems with the slim version, although most of the defective returns I saw happened right when the slims were released. Not many have come back to our store recently.

And yes, the chipset in the Gears slim model is a slightly different than the first slims. If I remember properly, they combined a few of the chips into a single chip, which will supposedly help in some way or another (Sorry, I don't remember what or how exactly; I just remember reading the information at work xD ).

The current slim and the gears of war slim will both have the newely designed mobo with the GPU and CPU all in one chipset. this helps with cooling drastically.. and the 2010 slim did this first.

the slim is a far better console than any other model manufactured before.

the gears console will be just as good as the 4GB console.. except you get the extra goodies that come with gears console.

DucknahEireann
07-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Ive had my slim console for 8 months or so now and I havent experienced a problem with it yet.

xBurnleyxFC
07-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Had mine for about a year now after I got fed up with constantly getting RROD and no problems so far. Love the fact that it's much quieter and less chunky than the old one!

dementedtheclown
07-10-2011, 04:08 PM
My slims great. love it.

tugboatman
07-10-2011, 04:14 PM
So far i have not had a problem with my slim and ive had it since launch day

Bleeding Star
07-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I have the Reach slim and the only issue I have with it is that the slim gets way hotter a lot quicker than the previous models, so much so I have to install every title before I play it otherwise the disc gets insanely hot

You might have issues with the sensitivity of the touch eject button. I usually set it off and turn on the system when I'm reaching behind the system to unplug it.

Also true, I often accidentally turn the system off when trying to plug in my wired controller for co-op with my gf or when plugging in the Kinect

Ryot Control
07-10-2011, 04:16 PM
You might have issues with the sensitivity of the touch eject button. I usually set it off and turn on the system when I'm reaching behind the system to unplug it.

Flik Nightshade
07-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I bought one of the Halo Reach grey slims when they first launched. To this date, knock on wood, I haven't had any major problems. The only two things I could say about it currently is this:

1. The machine as become progressively louder over the past year, no different than all the other XB360's I've owned. When I first got this slim, it was dead silent. Now, it's just a little quieter than my PS3, which sounds like a chainsaw. I've had no problems out of it, knock on wood, though.

2. It refuses to run Alan Wake. The disc is flawless and will play in any other XB360 I've put it in, but MY Reach Slim will not play it. In fact if I put the disc into the tray it begins to make loud grinding noises as if the tray were off balance. As far as I know, that machine just personally hates Alan Wake. Go figure.

At any rate, as I've said, I've had good experiences with the slim and I haven't seen many being returned where I work so.. I say if you're looking to upgrade or replace a model, they're worth the investment.

CONKER1182
07-10-2011, 07:13 PM
I bought one of the Halo Reach grey slims when they first launched. To this date, knock on wood, I haven't had any major problems. The only two things I could say about it currently is this:

1. The machine as become progressively louder over the past year, no different than all the other XB360's I've owned. When I first got this slim, it was dead silent. Now, it's just a little quieter than my PS3, which sounds like a chainsaw. I've had no problems out of it, knock on wood, though.

2. It refuses to run Alan Wake. The disc is flawless and will play in any other XB360 I've put it in, but MY Reach Slim will not play it. In fact if I put the disc into the tray it begins to make loud grinding noises as if the tray were off balance. As far as I know, that machine just personally hates Alan Wake. Go figure.

At any rate, as I've said, I've had good experiences with the slim and I haven't seen many being returned where I work so.. I say if you're looking to upgrade or replace a model, they're worth the investment.

From what I've read the Halo Reach slim 360s has some issues that the other slim 360s don't have. Dont get the Halo Reach 360 slim problem solved.

Sampson
07-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Nope, it's great. Runs fine, very sleek and efficient and sounds great. My only thing is that if you try to play an old games save file then you can't unless you transfer it through a cable or stick.

Flik Nightshade
07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
From what I've read the Halo Reach slim 360s has some issues that the other slim 360s don't have. Dont get the Halo Reach 360 slim problem solved.

Considering I just said I've had mine for almost a year.. I'm not sure that advice works all too well for me. Ha.

gazmaster1
07-11-2011, 07:12 PM
all round a good piece of kit. had mine about 4 months and had no serious problems. how ever dont believe the whisper quite marketing spiel. it is quiter but when you play the likes of RDR it still makes a hell of a racket. also if you have a power cut whilst playing you lose the ding for switching the console on-off and opening the disc drive. the only solution is to hope the same happens again or do it yourself. any one else had that problem?

jules the great
07-11-2011, 07:34 PM
I have two slims (250 and a 4) plus my old white one. The slim has no comparison. Its incredible. Quiet and runs perfectly. Get it, you wont regret a thing.

McGoogles
07-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I've had the slim for a year or so and it's been working greatly so far. It's quiet, it reads discs with several scratches, and it looks better than the normal Xbox 360. It also came with the 250gb hard drive which is a bonus.

The only problem with it in my opinion is how sensitive the power button is. My cat walked passed it and his tail turned it off while I was in the middle of a game.

Worhammer
07-12-2011, 02:09 AM

Some of the first batch of 360S production models had issues with the mounting of the DVD drive. This was fixed in all later batches, so if you buy one now you shouldn't have any problems.

It was already fixed even by the time the Reach 360S came out (which I have) which was only about 6 months later.

oo Pacsun oo
07-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Well, I most recently bought a slim here about two months ago and it's been running like a champ! I recently upgraded from my beat to crap arcade and it's the best thing I've ever done. It stays cool, doesn't scratch my discs from extended play times, and looks great with my setup. If you own an older 360 version and are dealing with their inevitable problems, then this is definitely worth it.

scarface
07-12-2011, 02:40 AM
It's worth purchasing one. I've had mine since December, and have had zero problems with it.

If you have a memory card, you wont be able to use it because the slims don't have the slots for them.

They're nice and quite, however, some games do run loud. So to fix that, install the game to the HDD.

PamdemoniumXOXO
07-12-2011, 03:07 AM
The current slim and the gears of war slim will both have the newely designed mobo with the GPU and CPU all in one chipset. this helps with cooling drastically.. and the 2010 slim did this first.

the slim is a far better console than any other model manufactured before.

the gears console will be just as good as the 4GB console.. except you get the extra goodies that come with gears console.

Yeah, I remembered today at work that the hardware upgrades I was thinking of was what Microsoft talked about at E3. They said there were modifying the hardware in the Xboxes, but they didn't say when they would be available xD I got my Xboxes mixed up :P