PDA

View Full Version : Penalties for account modification.

Tufty
07-11-2011, 10:03 AM
My friend showed me some software that is available that allows you to create your own gamerpictures, however, this obviously involves third party software to modify my gamerpicture.

Is anyone aware of the penalties for this, if there are any?

Aiden 514
07-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I have no idea sorry but sounds interestering any more info?

Fabioo
07-11-2011, 10:39 AM
You can get banned for changing your avatar skin to blue or green or whatever you want so I presume you could get banned for this too.

Tufty
07-11-2011, 10:46 AM
You can get banned for changing your avatar skin to blue or green or whatever you want so I presume you could get banned for this too.

A permanent ban for something like that? That's ridiculous!

Azrael008uk
07-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Legitimate software to create your own gamere picture would be to use an XBox 360 Vision Camera to take a picture of the image you want to use and use that.

It goes without saying that if you take a picture of your 'bits' and use that you'll probably be banned forever.

Hope that helps.

Az

Tufty
07-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Legitimate software to create your own gamere picture would be to use an XBox 360 Vision Camera to take a picture of the image you want to use and use that.

It goes without saying that if you take a picture of your 'bits' and use that you'll probably be banned forever.

Hope that helps.

Az

I have tried that, but the Xbox Live Vision camera isn't very good for quality.

Burnout x360a
07-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Depends on the third party software and what that entails.

ZedChuva
07-11-2011, 01:15 PM

This IS Micro$oft we're talking about here.

You can make your own backgrounds, so why not gamer pics? So long as they don't break Code of Conduct with the pic (like a giant penis or something), it SHOULDN'T be a problem... but would be.

VladimirK
07-11-2011, 01:39 PM
You can make your own backgrounds, so why not gamer pics?

Because backgrounds are simply taking a picture and sticking it on the dash and this stuff is 3rd party software to alter something connected to your profile?

I think if MS caught wind of it they would at the very least ban you for a few days.

Tufty
07-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Because backgrounds are simply taking a picture and sticking it on the dash and this stuff is 3rd party software to alter something connected to your profile?

I think if MS caught wind of it they would at the very least ban you for a few days.

Yeh, it's not really worth getting banned over a gamerpic.

I may do it to one of my other accounts and report it. Just to see what happens.

crracer 912
07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Go over to xbox.com/why was my account suspended. Many posts about people being banned for changing their avatar with 3rd party software. I believe all have been perma banned.

Apparently they monitor your messages too, I've seen some mods say 'you were banned for content contained in your m messages' and they weren't talking about bios.

Who cares about an avatar anyway?

Worhammer
07-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Yeah, permabans for anybody who modifies their avatar. There are some funny ones on http://www.whywasibanned.com about this exactly.

So I'd guess (like whoever else said the same thing) that doing it to your gamerpic would have a similar outcome.

RwHo
07-12-2011, 02:14 AM

Xbox has some crazy bans apparently... I don't think I would do that thing with the Gamerpictures, just to be save. I'm sure Xbox would find some way to mess you up with it.

Liquid-X
07-12-2011, 02:40 AM
My friend showed me some software that is available that allows you to create your own gamerpictures, however, this obviously involves third party software to modify my gamerpicture.

Is anyone aware of the penalties for this, if there are any?

You could always ask @XboxSupport on twitter what the penalties would be. They are usually pretty quick in giving you answers.

Veedrock
07-12-2011, 02:53 AM
It's clearly against the Code of Conduct:
Don’t make unauthorized modifications to your account profile or its contents.

So there's definitely going to be consequences. Assuming it's not a permaban (which it very well may be), part of the punishment will be the removal of the modified content. You seem to be under the impression that you might get a slap on the wrist and get to keep the picture, which will definitely not happen. So why bother doing it?

Apparently they monitor your messages too, I've seen some mods say 'you were banned for content contained in your m messages' and they weren't talking about bios.

To my knowledge they don't inherently scan your messages for anything, but if somebody files a complaint about abusing the messaging system, they do have the power to check messages.

BluWolve
07-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Yeah, permabans for anybody who modifies their avatar. There are some funny ones on http://www.whywasibanned.com about this exactly.

So I'd guess (like whoever else said the same thing) that doing it to your gamerpic would have a similar outcome.
HaHa These were great, some people are just plain stupid.

On Topic; Don't do it mate, it is honestly not worth it, Why even take the risk for a stupid little picture? Just abide by MS ToU and CoC.

Minty
07-12-2011, 03:00 AM

I'm nominating myself as President of the "XBLPet Juliet Fan Club" btw. If only we could make her a mod here :p

Yaymez
07-12-2011, 01:36 PM
The policy enforcement team over at the official site literally take no shit. Probably some of the most hardcore customer support I've ever seen. I would probably make an inquiry about it directly with them before you tinker with your profile.

Epic Debaser
07-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm nominating myself as President of the "XBLPet Juliet Fan Club" btw. If only we could make her a mod here :p

I wish you could make "XBLPet Lima" a mod here, they're hilarious :biglaugh

Magikarp
07-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Just read every single one of those because I have nothing better to do then browse the internet, and I must say.. BigBrother was by far my favorite.

Opiate42
07-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Do these people not know that MS can track back messages sent oddly ... within their own system?

I especially loved "xblpet clan members hey can I ask one of you guys to buy me membership? I mean you took ma points".

Dumb so dumb.

The not-ban silver account guy was epic.

LethalEdge
07-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Forgive me for being ignorant but what are 'infections'? :S After reading through the whyiwasbanned.com website they are mentioned a lot. I tried a Google search but it only came up with infections in reference to virus and bacteria lol

I especially loved "xblpet clan members hey can I ask one of you guys to buy me membership? I mean you took ma points".

That totally should be some kind of meme. :D

rekikire
07-12-2011, 10:39 PM

I'll be member number two, I read that forum every day just for a bit of a laugh. I'd love to see where the gamerscore on that account has come from.

Forgive me for being ignorant but what are 'infections'?

Modders have the ability to cheat with things like flying, walking through walls, invulnerability etc. These mods can be passed onto other people like infections.

CyberPunch83
07-12-2011, 10:52 PM
I believe the 'infections' mentioned on sites like whywasibanned.com is modded lobbies (ie MW2, WaW, Blops, etc) where the network software is tampered with, or 'infected', to give the user some skill or ability that is outside the usual abilities of the player. This can also include rank modification, god modes and the like. The term may have also come from people using extant hardware such as a modded USB to access such controls a gamer would not normally have over the game, like movement speed, health and rank modification. Hope that's what you're looking for.

Evo Kazz
07-13-2011, 06:21 AM
I wouldnt bother with any mods, its not worth it, I have known many people lose their accounts for mad reasons, it just not worth it, here are some of the reasons I have come accross (not personally, but via friends who were idiots).

- Changing Avatar Skin color
- Playing copies (modded console)
- Abuse
- Cheating gamerscore
- Playing GFWL on a illegal copy of Windows (Vista & 7)
- Playing GFWL on a legit windows, but where the game was downloaded
- Network tampering

I am sure there are more reasons, including the gamerpic thing