PDA

View Full Version : EA are shutting down more servers!

Tufty
07-12-2011, 10:41 AM
I couldn't find anything on the homepage here so I thought you guys may want to know this before some more achievements become unobtainable.

http://www.trueachievements.com/n4520/ea-shutting-down-more-servers.htm

Veedrock
07-12-2011, 10:53 AM
For people that can't follow the link (work etc):

August 11, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

- Army of Two
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
- NASCAR 09 (North America)
- NCAA Basketball 10
- NCAA Football 10
- Skate
- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted (no online achievements)

October 1, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

- Madden NFL 10
- NHL 10

Damn! I was hoping Army of Two wasn't on there. I need to boost that quickly now, especially since I bought the DLC ~_~

The biggest upset imo though is Battlefield 2 getting the shaft. I wanted to try it online before BF3 released (since it's supposed to be more akin to that than BFBC2), but with servers shutting down in a month I don't think I'll get the chance D: Doesn't help that there's a good 16 achievements to get online.

Final note: jesus their sports game servers are short lived. I hope online pass at least helps extend the life of the servers, since late comers that generally buy used will have to pay extra to get online.

Tufty
07-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Final note: jesus Madden servers are short lived. I hope online pass at least helps extend the life of the servers, since people that wait and buy it used for cheap have to pay :S

I never thought about that. I wonder how the gaming community would take it if they started kill of support for games with an online pass.

jackanape
07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Talk about good timing - I literally unlocked the last few online achievement I needed on Battlefield 2 about a month ago. Now I can amble through single player at my leisure.

Still, the rest of the games have been around for a couple of years at least so no great shocks.

FRANKSEY
07-12-2011, 11:22 AM
It's far too early to be shutting down servers for 2010 games.

KeepEmRolling
07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
I never thought about that. I wonder how the gaming community would take it if they started kill of support for games with an online pass.

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the two sports games listed. Let see....you want to buy a game used? well, you're going to have to spend 10 bucks to play online. Oh, and btw, we're going to shut the servers down after a year so don't wait too long. I'm not a sports gamer, but that's messed up.

rns1016
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
This is why their should be no achievements for online play. I just got soulcalibur 4 most of the achievements I can't get.

Eddieg
07-12-2011, 12:24 PM
They should at least drop the price for the dlc relating to those games, or even free as compensation. Not holding my breath though. Exactly why they shouldn’t put online achievements in games.

chelseaman99
07-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Better rebuy Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 then. Got one achievement before I became addicted to achievements, traded it in and now need to buy it back. Damn EA.

I never understood why they have to close any of their servers though - they're making so much money, and yet they feel the need to shut down servers for games that are just 1 and a half years old. Ridiculous.

LNG SaNdMaN
07-12-2011, 12:43 PM
I never understood why they have to close any of their servers though - they're making so much money, and yet they feel the need to shut down servers for games that are just 1 and a half years old. Ridiculous.

Because they can make even more money by making you buy the new versions just so that you can play them online.

I ended up giving away NFS: Shift and Mercs 2 because they shut the servers down. It wouldn't be so bad if they gave you the option to dconnect directly to friends to play after turning the servers off.

EliteShadowMan
07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Because they can make even more money by making you buy the new versions just so that you can play them online.

I ended up giving away NFS: Shift and Mercs 2 because they shut the servers down. It wouldn't be so bad if they gave you the option to dconnect directly to friends to play after turning the servers off.

umm what? mercs 2 servers are still on and so are Shifts. Fail.

Agh stupid me. I didn't think they'd close the Army of Two servers. Now i'm gonna have to finish that. I thought they already closed the Skate 1 servers though so i could care less

tiger 1
07-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Wow Battlefield 2 MW what will they do when Battlefield 3 comes out close that server after a few weeks. Well all is fair in love and war then.

“Here is my opinion if you have any of these titles I would send them right back to EA with a letter stating in the future you want title of yours to be bought it would be suggested to keep games on the servers or there titles would suffer in sales and WE the gamers will shut EA down one day. “

I have already sent back one game back to the Develop company with a letter about there BS. I also suggest no one buy Battlefield 3 EA will only close it down after a year it would be a waste of your money RENT, RENT, RENT !!! How dare this company be so bold don’t they know we keep them in business without us gamers EA is nothing !!

:ass

LNG SaNdMaN
07-12-2011, 01:12 PM
umm what? mercs 2 servers are still on and so are Shifts. Fail.

It seems I was misinformed by a friend as, it looks like it was the PC version of Mercs 2 that was shut down, and earlier NFS servers.

Still, if it makes you feel good to point out others' mistakes, then more power to you :)

EliteShadowMan
07-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Wow Battlefield 2 MW what will they do when Battlefield 3 comes out close that server after a few weeks. Well all is fair in love and war then.

“Here is my opinion if you have any of these titles I would send them right back to EA with a letter stating in the future you want title of yours to be bought it would be suggested to keep games on the servers or there titles would suffer in sales and WE the gamers will shut EA down one day. “

I have already sent back one game back to the Develop company with a letter about there BS. I also suggest no one buy Battlefield 3 EA will only close it down after a year it would be a waste of your money RENT, RENT, RENT !!! How dare this company be so bold don’t they know we keep them in business without us gamers EA is nothing !!

:ass

Battlefield 3 will be up for more than a year. Battlefield 2: MC was out for a good 4+ years if i remember correctly.

VladimirK
07-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Heh, to think I rushed boosting Army of Two back at the end of 2009/start of 2010 because it was so dead online that I thought it was only gonna' be a matter of weeks/a few months at maximum before they shut the servers on it.

A tip to those trying to get the last achievements done on it, make a start as soon as you can, shooting the hovercraft for Retirements Savings Plans takes bloody ages to get done.
The rest you can get in just a few matches.

ZedChuva
07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Fuck EA... money grubbing assholes anyway. So, I guess in a year, ALL their games without their precious "online pass" will be dead eh?

So for Army of Two... that means no more co-op either?

Yea... fuck EA in their E AND A. :uzi:

Son of Kyuss
07-12-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm honestly surprised at how long Army of TWO's servers lasted, I remember how dead the online was 4-5 months after it's release.

Opiate42
07-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Talk about good timing - I literally unlocked the last few online achievement I needed on Battlefield 2 about a month ago. Now I can amble through single player at my leisure.

Still, the rest of the games have been around for a couple of years at least so no great shocks.

Damn lucky for you, bad timing on my part, I haven't even played that one yet! :(

tehapoc
07-12-2011, 05:52 PM
All of these games have been out for awhile. Not really a big deal. Surprised that EA hasn't shut them down sooner.

l Absolution l
07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I just recently bought the Xbox 360 version of Battlefield 2 after playing it for Xbox for years. What a bummer.

Capn Doug
07-12-2011, 06:00 PM
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the two sports games listed. Let see....you want to buy a game used? well, you're going to have to spend 10 bucks to play online. Oh, and btw, we're going to shut the servers down after a year so don't wait too long. I'm not a sports gamer, but that's messed up.

None of the games listed have the online pass. That wasn't implemented until the 2011 sports titles. You are combining two complaints that have no relation and creating a complaint that has no basis in reality (well, not now, anyway).

Tufty
07-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Damn lucky for you, bad timing on my part, I haven't even played that one yet! :(

Trust me, you're not really missing out on much.

GrimSovereignty
07-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Glad that I don't play to many EA games

H0p3sfalL
07-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Could care less about any of those games. Just my opinion :cool:......

Coadster1
07-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Fuck, Army of Two is about to bite the dust. I haven't started it yet, but I guess I should get the multiplayer achievements done first.

KBSnr72
07-12-2011, 07:12 PM
FFS!! thats it, i'm not buying EA games anymore, damn worthless hyped up pieces of crap, been that way with all there games, even 20 yrs ago XD :uzi:

Magikarp
07-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Even though I refuse to touch any of the official sports games, its kinda ridiculous they are already shutting down servers for the '10 games..

LethalEdge
07-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Could care less about any of those games. Just my opinion :cool:......

Same, just tried the Army of Two demo and it didn't seem that great. Is a bit annoying that you have to play with another person instead than an AI but then again I guess that is big part of the game's mechanic. :p

Is a bit lame they are shutting down the servers for the 2010 sports games already though. Sorta is the reason I'm hesitant to buy a FIFA game these days.

Opiate42
07-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Trust me, you're not really missing out on much.

Thanks for the warning!

punker
07-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Even though I refuse to touch any of the official sports games, its kinda ridiculous they are already shutting down servers for the '10 games..

Well, when they release a new edition every year, I think two years for a sports game is a pretty fair deal... they probably assume that anyone still playing a two-year-old sports game online is a diehard enough fan to go get a copy of the new version.

The NCAA games are usually dead pretty quickly, so no shock there... and as was said above, Army of Two was a desert just a few months after release, so I can't really see any outrage over closing the server for that, especially since that game was released over three years ago.

Everytime EA does this everyone gets so outraged... I wonder how many people actually still regularly play these games, or it's just getting upset for the sake of being upset. They can't keep these servers open forever, and it frees up space for all the new stuff.

rns1016
07-12-2011, 09:23 PM
FFS!! thats it, i'm not buying EA games anymore, damn worthless hyped up pieces of crap, been that way with all there games, even 20 yrs ago XD :uzi:

yeah cause Mass Effect, Burnout, Battlefield, Crysis, Dead Space, The Godfather, Madden games, and NFS games all crap.

Tufty
07-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Mike from Achievement Hunter has created an entire list of the achievements that will become un-obtainable after the servers go down.

http://achievementhunter.com/groups/news/entry.php?id=51008

ZedChuva
07-13-2011, 04:51 AM
Hey, maybe EA will make all the DLC for Tiger 10 free now!? (and their other "dead" games)

LOL! :woop::p:nana:ass

kingofthstrays
07-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Umm.....
They are doing away with army of two and skate and madden 2010 but....
Games like brutal legend are still up?
That EA for you !

Ps is there a offical game server closing thread That list all games unplayable online?

Tufty
07-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Umm.....
They are doing away with army of two and skate and madden 2010 but....
Games like brutal legend are still up?
That EA for you !

Ps is there a offical game server closing thread That list all games unplayable online?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=299871

BadBoyKillah89
07-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Looking at that list, I noticed that Medal of Honor: Airborne is there as a Playstation Portable version but I checked and there is no PSP version. This must mean that the Xbox 360 version's servers are getting shut down. This is a serious blow, not because of how old the game is but because there's one achievement that's glitched for most people (it pops up randomly if you're lucky) and now there's no chance that people are going to be able to get it.

Unless I'm just wrong (as they are) and they meant to put there Medal of Honor: Heroes (that one is on the PSP). Makes sense since they have Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 listed. No way of knowing for sure though.

TAI JASON
07-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Looking at that list, I noticed that Medal of Honor: Airborne is there as a Playstation Portable version but I checked and there is no PSP version. This must mean that the Xbox 360 version's servers are getting shut down. This is a serious blow, not because of how old the game is but because there's one achievement that's glitched for most people (it pops up randomly if you're lucky) and now there's no chance that people are going to be able to get it.

Unless I'm just wrong (as they are) and they meant to put there Medal of Honor: Heroes (that one is on the PSP). Makes sense since they have Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 listed. No way of knowing for sure though.

Thats shit, i want to boost this. Army of Two sucks too. EA are suckers, look at Namco Bandai: Ridge Racer 6 server still runs, i got the online achivements a few weeks ago :D

hydrosugar
07-14-2011, 09:52 AM
i already traded in tiger 10 and with one acheivement left too. i suspected i would never get 'big money' as first: the live tournaments would be dlc exclusive(they were after a while), and then the live tournaments would stop altogether(they did a while back). And now EA has taken the final step and shut down the online completely. so i didn't bother trying as it was a long term achievement, and i knew what was gonna happen.

i also got all but a few online achievements in tiger 11, but traded that in at the exact same time. i bought it new and got an online pass but its just too troublesome, even if it means 2 900+:gsicon: golf games stay the way they are. 1 year tops until that server shuts down. i'm just hoping they don't shut down the 2010 world cup before the next adaption.(they shut off the wii/psp online for this game ages ago though)

dwmacfar2
07-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't get the complaints about the sports games. These games are two years old and couldn't be more dead. Who are we kidding, nobody plays these games anymore. What's all the fuss?

chelseaman99
07-14-2011, 06:55 PM
The fact that EA, after putting several online achievements in games, will then take off the online after two years making the online achievements unobtainable.

Fire Hawk D
07-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Everytime EA does this everyone gets so outraged... I wonder how many people actually still regularly play these games, or it's just getting upset for the sake of being upset. They can't keep these servers open forever, and it frees up space for all the new stuff.

This. I'm really tired of the whining. Anything changes, and people moan and groan about it. I know, it IS a bit lame that they're shutting down the '10 sports games' servers, but c'mon. Most people that would still be playing those would have moved on to the newer versions anyway. As for Battlefield 2 (which, I need to hurry and finish boosting now!) it's been out for YEARS. The fact that that relic wasn't laid to rest a long time ago is beyond me. The servers barely work as-is, usually.

Obviously, not all companies do this, but not all companies are alike, luckily. It's a business decision. Just like Microsoft raising your LIVE membership or Netflix raising their rates are their choice. Just like continuing to pay for them is your choice. Why has most of the last couple generations of gamers become awful, cynical crybabies? If I can't get those last couple achievements, will I be a bit disappointed? Sure. But, I'm not going to hold it against EA. Heck, it'll only come up in passing conversation with other achievement nuts. I sure as heck won't take to the forums to post a scathing remark or a whole tirade. I'll just play another awesome game from them or another developer.

And to all of you asking for boycotts of EA's games and those saying they'll stop buying them, good for you. More for us. Why in the world would a true lover of the hobby mark off a developer's work just because of the publisher's decisions? Mass Effect, Mercenaries, Madden NFL, Dead Space, Battlefield, The Sims, Mirror's Edge, Dragon Age, and now all of PopCap's games. You'd pass up those experiences just because some of your other games that almost nobody plays online anyway may not work online anymore? Kudos to you, genius.

blue silk
07-14-2011, 10:33 PM
This is why I swore never to buy anything from EA again. My last EA game was Lord Of The Rings: Conquest and it will be my last...

Les Cheating
04-10-2012, 05:44 AM
This is why their should be no achievements for online play. I just got soulcalibur 4 most of the achievements I can't get.

Did they shut off Soul Caliber IV server too? I haven't played in a few months. I'll be pissed!:eek:

Skilled
04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Why did you bump a 9 month old thread?

LachyFTW
04-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Because he is a necromancer.

PMS Green1Chaos
04-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Last pc game that I purchased was Harry Potter (Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, and Quidditch World Cup) and Need for Speed: Carbon (Xbox 360)

Skilled
04-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Because he is a necromancer.

Well, there are a few around now..

Last pc game that I purchased was Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix and Need for Speed: Carbon

What has that got to do with server shut downs? :confused:

FFFreak1129
04-11-2012, 02:37 PM
For a minute there I thought there was a new list of game servers being shut down.

ChickinOnaChain
04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
For a minute there I thought there was a new list of game servers being shut down.
Maybe they should make a list of servers they're keeping open. ;)

TemporalWizard
04-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Maybe they should make a list of servers they're keeping open. ;)

It would probably be a shorter list. ;)

Floorkiller
04-12-2012, 02:24 AM

I don't see the problem here. It's a valid question (Though not an EA game)

People complain when people create new threads...people complain when the bump old threads...no winning sometimes.

Wildmn34
04-12-2012, 02:35 AM

It can't be a valid question AND not related to the thread at the same time.

Skilled
04-12-2012, 07:15 AM

People complain when people create new threads...people complain when the bump old threads...no winning sometimes.

Firstly it he didn't ask a question and it wasn't related to the thread. I don't mind old threads, so long as they're not longer out of date or useless such as this information thread telling us something that happened 9 months ago. :/

At best he should have posted something related to the thread, like;

- I can't believe I didn't know they shutdown these servers!

RenegadeFlanker
04-12-2012, 07:52 PM
The thread system is obviously broken.