PDA

View Full Version : Should the Feature of Party Chat be removed from Matchmaking/Multiplayer?

Monstor
07-12-2011, 05:50 PM
This is a good argument.

I personally think Party chat should be removed from all types of Online Games, CoD, Battlefield and Halo come to mind.

Think about it. You can say everything that you can say in party chat in game chat, also, it creates a lack of communication.

What are your opinions on this?

I meant take it away from multiplayer sessions not out in general, if you want to talk to friends while playing single player or something, go for it. I'm talking about the multiplayer only

otaking live
07-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Umm.....are you insane? If you don't like party chat go play the ps3. I for one certainly do not want to talk to/hear from all the little 12 year old gangsters playing COD.

V1oL3NT Sn1PEzZ
07-12-2011, 06:47 PM
I have voted no because I think that although people should communicate on team games there are times when i am playing on online on a game that a few of my friends dont have and I still want to be able to talk to them.

I am still helping the team and capturing objectives, but i can listen to people i actually like instead of some 11 year old brat.

RwHo
07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
I see where your coming from with the "banning" of private/party chat in games. It does help teamwork a bunch in games like Halo and CoD. I personally dont think we should do away with it. I use it because for some reason, I always get matched up with the 10 year olds who just yell in their mics and make a fool of themselves. I just stay in a party with friends I know rather then wasting my time with that.

ARusling
07-12-2011, 06:52 PM
No way! If I'm playing a different game to my friends I won't be able to talk to them, and most of the time I am so that would be pretty rubbish -__-

Coadster1
07-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I love Party Chat, I think it's one of the best things Xbox LIVE has done for us. I understand how developers think it 'ruins' teamwork, but half the time, no one has mics and I hate hearing squealers. So I always play with groups of people if I'm playing something mulitplayer, this case I don't have to worry about randoms.

punker
07-12-2011, 07:00 PM
The only game I ever play online regularly still is Halo: Reach. I play mostly Team Slayer, and I have my settings so that every person is the game is on auto-mute. Even though it's a team game, I know my objective: kill the other team. I don't need to talk to a stranger about strategy, because frankly, I couldn't care less about it. It means absolutely nothing to me, and I don't take the game that seriously. And, as others have said, I have zero desire to listen to a bunch of bratty, obnoxious kids throughout the game.

Kairi
07-12-2011, 07:02 PM
I voted no because I see absolutely no reason to remove it. You may be able to say the same things.. but what if you want to talk to a friend while you are playing a multiplayer on a game that they don't have? If the party chat was removed from multiplayer games, you wouldn't be able to do that :/ I don't understand why removing it would be better then leaving it the way it is... removing it from games seems like it would probably do more harm then good.

LawlCake1214
07-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Hell no! When I'm in a party with my friends we are all usually playing different games unless we all agree on playing the same game.

chelseaman99
07-12-2011, 07:21 PM
No because it's defeating the object of party chat. The point of party chat is to talk to a variety of people playing a variety of games - most of the time at least one of my friends is playing a game online.

RealityExit
07-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I would hate to have party chat removed for several reasons, it's one of the things that I really like.

And honestly I don't see any legitimate reasons for wanting to get rid of it besides it *might* help teamwork, which I completely disagree with. Most people don't even have mics to begin with then half of the people who do are either annoying prepubescent kids who shout in their mics and curse at you because their mom isn't home or just all around obnoxious people.

Opiate42
07-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Umm.....are you insane?

Completely agree. I will opt to keep my party chat thank you very much.

I play with a regular squad of guys so party chat is a blessing.

When I play solo, which is rare nowadays, and more often than not get thrown in with a bunch of douchebags screaming racist sexist BS and calling everyone campers because they get killed for running around like headless chickens....and I'm not even talking about the bloody 12 year olds...

Sorry but I turn my mic off and/or have to mute everyone on my team or just switch games.

You can't coordinate with idiots.

People should work as a team, even complete strangers, but that doesn't mean they do.

DigitalFury
07-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Absolutely not! I'm all for working as a team and communicating, but MW2 did this and the most annoying thing about that game was having to individually mute everyone. Sorry, but as much as I like the idea in theory, we've seen the results and it doesn't work as intended

Magikarp
07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
This is just silly.

As posted above, usually I'm in a party chat while everyone else is playing a different game. To have party chat being 'banned' would make no logical sense whatsoever.

Monstor
07-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Read first post.

bathori
07-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Hell no.
Like pretty much everyone except TC, I have no desire to listen to prepubesent gangster wannabes.
On the rare occassion I play a team game, its a prearranged session with my friends and their friends.
And these prearranged sessions...oh we make them in party chat while playing other games.
Cut party chat out and I'd seriously consider dropping live

Blink
07-12-2011, 09:20 PM
For me it depends. In a serious gaming scenario, yes. In any other scenario, no.

There are far more casual gamers out there than serious ones. People who just want to talk to their friends who maybe on different games, or who don't want to talk to any randoms at all whilst having a laugh with each other.

I remember when MW2 was the first game that forced you to be in game chat to play the multiplayer, and it really annoyed me. But in some scenarios (ranked gametypes for example) I could see the benefits. However, I'd rather not see it implemented.

rns1016
07-12-2011, 09:35 PM
I voted no because it's our right to be in a party or not BUT I wish more game modes were like cod's search and destroy ( I think it's search and destroy ) were you can't be in party chat. I use to play cod mw2 without being in party chat, now all my friends want to do is be in party chat.

So party chat is a good thing but a bad thing, and besides what would be the point of having party chat to begin with? Chances are your playing a single player game and your buddy is playing online half of the time.

DriftingBeast
07-12-2011, 09:42 PM
No. I can't stand little kids and hearing people bitch all the time on COD.

Arch The Angel
07-12-2011, 09:54 PM
i can agree with this guy party chat is a good thing so you dont have to deal with idiots on your team i use it alot.

veece16
07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
No, I like talking to my friends in a party. Not having that option would mean I would either listen to a game full of whiners, or have to mute EVERYONE.

KeepEmRolling
07-12-2011, 10:15 PM
No, party chat is one of the best things to ever happen to Live. I usually play with friends anyway, but on the rare occasion I don't, I have no interest in hearing the conversation that usually goes on in public matches.

TheGhost808
07-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Party Chat is awesome and should remain in all games. MW2 was dumb when they removed it.

CyberPunch83
07-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Parties and Party Chat was the best innovation Xbox Live came up since Xbox Live itself. It allows for seamless, real-time communication between gamers over different games. It's an invaluable feature, especially for setting up a boosting match for anything, and it's what separates us from the animals (re: PS3 fanboys) of online gaming.

HuMuRoUs
07-12-2011, 11:09 PM
right lets just say theres 12 people in a game of HQ on black ops. Theres 4 groups of 3 mates all trying to talk to each other.. hows that going to work? Fair enough you can mute people, but i dont want to mute daft 12 year olds every game i play.

This is a pointless question.

G0LDEN AVENGER
07-12-2011, 11:22 PM
No I Hate Talking To Randoms

Tufty
07-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Yes! This feature single handedly killed off multiplayer for me. There's no communication in matches any more. If I wanted to talk to my friends then I have other methods of communication.

In fact, here's a digram of how much I play singleplayer to multiplayer in the past six months.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=2273&pictureid=12729

Burning Karma
07-13-2011, 12:59 AM
No. It keeps me from having to communicate/listen to all of the random, annoying pains in the ass online.

GrimSovereignty
07-13-2011, 01:01 AM
It would be good team wise but sadly to many annoying kids/people get on Live so I would rather stay in party chat with people who I actually like talking to.

otaking live
07-13-2011, 01:18 AM
The only time I won't use party chat is if I want to talk smack to the other team.

Veedrock
07-13-2011, 03:15 AM
Think about it. You can say everything that you can say in party chat in game chat, also, it creates a lack of communication.

The problem is that you're assuming without party chat, people would still talk in game chat. A majority of the time this would not be the case. People use party chat to talk to people in other games or in private; clearly this means that people either don't want others listening to their business, or the other person(s) flat out aren't in the game. Taking away party chat won't make them talk in game chat, it will only make them play without mics.

And of course, this is all ignoring that most things said in party chat can't be said in game chat, either because it's a private conversation or simply cross-game communication!

Personally, I don't ever use a mic unless I'm in party chat. Restricting party chat in multiplayer won't encourage me to use game chat because I have intention to do so anyways.

I really hated the restriction in Modern Warfare 2 (ignoring everything else wrong with that game). Seriously the lobbies were always packed with people trash talking, being loud and obnoxious, and throwing around profanity like high school freshmen, and I couldn't do a damn thing about it except go through and mute each and every one of them. I do acknowledge that CoD does have a very...colorful crowd, but if I have no intention of talking to them and don't care to listen to them, why can't I have the option to go into party chat?

Death Metal Jim
07-13-2011, 06:11 AM
Wow, this seriously has to be one of the WORST ideas I've ever read on here. Why the hell would you get rid of Party Chat in games? The whole point of Party Chat is to talk to and play with who you want, when you want to. The only thing I can think that the OP came up with this for, is because he/she is against boosters. At least then I would understand the logic, however flawed it might be. I mean seriously, who the hell wants to be stuck in game chat with randoms and underage little bastards who shouldn't be playing an M rated game in the first place?

Jraa7
07-15-2011, 05:16 PM
well
I have to disagree with you my friend
for alot of reasons

First,, its important when boosting your friends on multiplayer achievement
Second,, its a best way to communicate with your friends around the world.
Finaly,, there is no fun without the live chatting with your friends.

Dcon6393
07-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Well if you want communication and teamwork you should probably go in with friends and people you play with. If they took party chat out of halo I would mute everyone except my friends anyway. Teamwork will only come if you play with people who also want to have some type of teamwork, not random people online who are forced out of party chat.

MxPx
07-15-2011, 05:24 PM
We usually switch to game chat at the start of game. But the second we hear some idiot blasting rap music, or some whiny little kid talking in a British accent...its right back to party chat.

Tatanko
07-15-2011, 05:57 PM
I said no. I see your point, but the good outweighs the bad here, in my opinion.

AtomicAgeZombie
07-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Nope. I can't stand most of the inane chatter that happens in multiplayer rooms.

KyleHakk
07-16-2011, 01:02 AM
I haven't met any new players since party chat became available. My friends list is dwindling, but my friends and I don't really play the same games so it's nice to be able to chat while playing my own game. So I say no

TVthePunisher
07-16-2011, 01:22 AM
Oh hell no. When trying to do Turret hacking in Bioshock 2, the in-game chat is laggy as all out hell to where people sound almost inhuman...plus, having party chat means every person boosting can talk to one another even if say they're doing a game like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood with a circle stun.

I rarely ever use Game Chat, because a lot of people talk smack and insult others...it's not worth listening to these assholes yammer on about everything. Sure you can mute them, but everyone else is likely 10 years old so now you got to deal with that.

Beefdagreat
07-16-2011, 04:25 AM
totally a 'no' in my opinion. I want to be able to talk to my buds on other games

Wildmn34
07-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Also voting no.

I like Party chat. That way I don't have to listen to all the "trash talk" and people being idiots.

In MW2 when they removed party chat all that ended up being is every lobby I went into I muted everyone who wasn't in my group. So it didn't matter anyway. But, I love being able to play one game and talk to my friends playing another.

Leave it as is.

dakisbac
07-16-2011, 06:28 AM
I think all of you exaggerate about how bad the community is. Yes we all know there are all sorts of assholes on the mic in public matches but frankly we survived just fine without party chat and we would survive if they removed it. I do love party chat since it allows me to speak to my friends who aren't playing with me and especially because it's extremely helpful in boosting, but in using it we do miss out on things.

As pointed out, the use of it IS extremely detrimental to team strategy (if playing with randoms, obviously). I know a lot of you say you don't care about that and that you wouldn't be talking anyway or that you just want to do your own thing, but go on a game that actually requires teamwork like Gears of War and then tell me how well being a one-man team worked out for you. That aside, you just miss out on meeting a lot of cool people. I had a LOT of fun on the original Xbox meeting randoms in Halo 2 and joining up/playing with them afterward. And I still have a few of these people from 6 years ago on my friends list today.

But to answer the question: no. If people would rather talk to their friends that's up to them. Or if people just want to ignore everyone in-game, making an empty party is a lot faster than muting everyone.

GhostFalcon3
07-16-2011, 10:25 AM
No, although it may be a small inconvinience in games like COD, where teams can co-ordinate and tell where other members are. The benefits of it outway the disadvantages as often peopel still want to rtalk to theer friends even if they are playing differant games and therefore don't want to allow that inconvinience to get in the way.

Dafy G
07-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Multigame chat is the only thing Microsoft did right. If someone wants to play the Halo 3 multiplayer recreationally they should be able to. A person shouldn't be forced into gamechat because it is most convenient for you.

Burnout x360a
07-16-2011, 02:57 PM
No. Game chat sucks.

Burning Karma
07-17-2011, 12:44 AM
I think all of you exaggerate about how bad the community is. Yes we all know there are all sorts of assholes on the mic in public matches but frankly we survived just fine without party chat and we would survive if they removed it. I do love party chat since it allows me to speak to my friends who aren't playing with me and especially because it's extremely helpful in boosting, but in using it we do miss out on things.
How I got along before party chat: not plugging my mic in. That's typically what I do when I'm playing solo anyway.

undephined
07-17-2011, 02:08 AM
This is like asking if you want to have eardrums or if you'd like to gouge them out with a plastic spoon.

I hate talking to all the 12 year-olds. They drive me INSANE. I can't handle their squeaky voices, let alone their stupidity. I hate MW2 for removing the ability to be in party chat in stupid gametypes like TEAM DEATHMATCH, where HALF OF THE PEOPLE DON'T EVEN TALK ANYWAY. When I play MW2 I have to be in Free-For-All because I'm always in a party chat. Ridiculous. And if they ever did put no party chat what-so-ever in a CoD game, I'd never buy anther game from them again. But if they just don't allow party chat in SnD I'll be fine, SnD is over-rated.

Also, half the time in FFA when I have my mic in and I'm not in a party (which is rare), I'm usually top player, or second. Then everyone starts saying "Wow Steven, you're a fucking tryhard" or something along those lines. The CoD community is terible, everyone curses at everyone because they get killed too much and because they lost. Very rarely I'll meet someone online who isn't a complete douchebag, and accepts defeat and says "Good game," and doesn't throw a temper tantrum like a five year-old.

If you want a tactical game where you talk at all times with people, get a group of friends together. Otherwise, we're going to talk to our friends in party chat. :D

Monster2049
07-17-2011, 02:14 AM
This is a good argument.

I personally think Party chat should be removed from all types of Online Games, CoD, Battlefield and Halo come to mind.

What are your opinions on this?

I meant take it away from multiplayer sessions not out in general, if you want to talk to friends while playing single player or something, go for it. I'm talking about the multiplayer only

I dislike talking to my friends in game of Halo because you run in to someone that will start to talk with you and either says following thing to make you unplug your mic..
1.) Is that a girl? (I have female friends :eek:<- Shocker I know.)
2.) What are you guys talking about?
3.) Do you want me to sing -Insert Song-
4.) You guys are complete (Censor)! (For talking outside of Party)
5.) Do I hear little kid that needs to shut up? (Yes I have younger friends and yes I am related to them.)
-
Monstor (Wow I am Monster2049) I understand your point of view, you want to have more of team based game going or perhaps to remove Boosters, but many of us use party chat to avoid others that aim to talk trash to their teammates. I hope you understand. :)

sleepydumbdude
07-17-2011, 07:32 AM
No I love party chat most the time we have people in ours that are playing some other game but keeping us company.
I'd much rather them start to add a filter with people with no mic or don't intend on communicating in a game. Just click a box indicating you have no mic or let it be detected. That way I can play online games in party chat or at night if I don't feel like talking without feeling like a dick.

Benny34
07-17-2011, 01:37 PM
No lol most kids are annoying on the mic so let them talk to there friends so i dont have to mute people

Burnout x360a
07-17-2011, 01:43 PM
If i'm not in a party, the mic is not on.

Yung Lil Fly
07-22-2011, 09:59 AM
I used to play Gears 1 all of the time and loved it before party chat. Sure there were some annoying kids, but talking to the other team added so much. Since party chat started, I haven't really played anything online.

SoulOfTira
07-22-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't want to talk to whiny brats/random Americans that call me a fag/pathetic guys that live in their mom's basement that try to hit on me/ idiots who blast shitty rap down the mic
The few tiomes i do go into game chat is L4D2 only
the only person i want to talk to online is a friend and we are usually playing different titles.

Mercury
07-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Without party chat you are forced to listen to annoying shit and go through muting people. It's also more reliable. If the game lags, the chat lags, but if you're in party chat, no issues whatsoever. Plus most teammates these days don't even use their mics.

Mr Gollywoggins
07-22-2011, 11:28 PM
No, theoretically a good idea but you're forgetting the human element. I'd much rather talk to my friends in a party than listen to all the people in a call of duty game. As to the teamwork idea, the games i'd tell you to play are Assassins Creed: Brotherhood and Brink. Both games require a little extra something, stealth/teamwork, yet whenever I play them online there is no teamwork, no stealth, half the players just run as fast as they can blowing all cover which ruins any attempt by the rest to play the game as it is meant to be played. The only time I have ever seen smart play is on computer, and that's not even assured.

CRAZY 7
07-23-2011, 02:00 AM
no it shouldnt be because its easier to communicate with your team and like most have said I dont like listening to mickey mouse bitch that he didnt get to the helicopter first or some stupid shit

Nathan WV10
07-23-2011, 02:14 AM
I want party chat so i can speak to people who are playing different games. Also i want to speak to my friends not random strangers where they can shout, argue and be annoying down my ear.

GhOsT SLaYeR
07-23-2011, 04:00 AM
No!! This isn't a good argument at all. If I didn't want to talk to buddies playing another game and only the game im playing (and in) I'd play PS3...

Only time it should be disabled is in SnD / 1 life game types where it can give an unfair advantage.

Also party chat removes listening to little kids singing / trying to swear where it just proves their lack of intelligence. Where they try to string various insults into a sentence.

kaseywc98
07-23-2011, 04:11 AM
I say yes because if there's one thing I don't like, it's having to talk to others.

Assassinator010
07-23-2011, 04:50 AM
Yes,

I've met so many cool people in-game and i can't stand it when more than half the lobbies are in party chat.

Hank Hill
07-23-2011, 09:56 AM
If I'm playing one game and my friend is playing another game, why should we have to call each other or text or something. way easier just to talk and even if i was forced into game chat, I would mute everyone.

MxPx
07-23-2011, 08:08 PM
What they need to do is separate ranked and unranked matches again.

You get the kids that want to fool around, explore glitches...let them do that in the unranked matches. You want the people who actually want to play, and play properly...ranked matches.

Gets old playing against clan after clan with a bunch of morons on your team.

Edit: Or even better. Instill some sort of...league...style of play. Not in a MLG/organized league kind of way, but simply, the better you are, the better your ranking, the better the players you're matched up against are. And similarly, if you suck, you only play against shitty players.

Edit #2: Sorry, thought this thread was in the Black Ops section. Take it as such.

Hallowgraves
07-24-2011, 08:43 AM
I shouldn't have to be forced to people singing in their mics, breathing, ridiculous noises and hums from random people I don't know. Party chat is one way to avoid the unnecessary distractions while talking to a group of friends.

Hell, it'd be a little chaotic if there were two separate groups of people ingame trying to talk to each other. It'd cause nothing but a pain and arguments.

Hallowgraves
07-24-2011, 08:44 AM
And sure you could say, "Well Hallow, you could always mute them." Well here's my response to you: I shouldn't have to.

GamerKing97
07-24-2011, 11:13 PM
No, having Party Chat is fine. On something like Search & Destroy in Black Ops, they don't have Party Chat (which is also in a few other game modes) so people could communicate and try to get the objective. Well guess what? The only "communicating" is 10 year old brats screeching into their mics/people complaining about getting killed. Sometimes I do play SnD, but I prefer other things that have Party Chat so I can talk to my friends (even when they're playing a different game) and not hear the 10 year olds.

Lemonlimes249
07-25-2011, 01:43 AM
No way. Using party chat you can talk to your friends and ONLY your friends. If you could only do in-game chat, I just don't want to listen to the 12 year old "Gangstas" and 40 year old creepers. No thank you.

niko da bos
07-25-2011, 05:02 AM
it is a decent argument, only reason i would say yes is because of how it divides up the team. on halo a lot of times i have a team of 3 or 4 different parties, meaning if they all were in regular chat the team would be communicating as a whole.

its especially frustrating if i have a mic on, and the rest of my team is all in party chat. now i have a whole team talking with eachother, and me with a mic talking to a brick wall. of course no party invite will be sent the whole game.

on the other hand i use party chat a lot myself, usually when i am currently in a game and a friends sends a party/game invite. so i can talk with my buddy while finishing the game im playing at the moment.