PDA

View Full Version : are collector editions of games are worth your money or a waste?

kingofthstrays
07-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Since the days of psx there was a now defuct company that would deliver more than just a game .....if you said working desgins pat yourself on your head!

Since then collectors edition have mainstream today delivering more fan service than ever before

But has it gone to far?.... wanting 150+ Dollars for some statue ,and some content and a artbook seem to be getting to high or even getting to Be werid with the catherine speical edition having a pair of heart boxer shorts!!

Or is worth it having a special weapon on day 1 In multiplayer that can put you in a good advantage agianist people who didn't shell out that extra 20-40 Dollars or couldn't find a special edition

So is collectors edition worth buying or they a waste of money?

Blink
07-13-2011, 01:56 PM
It depends on the title of the game for me. I've bought the limited editions of the past 2 Halo's, simply because I'm a huge fan of the series. It's not worth buying them if you intend to make any sort of profit in the near future, as the ones I've got are on Ebay for pretty cheap now.

I'd say buy it if you're a true fan of the game, otherwise, just get the normal copy.

tiger 1
07-13-2011, 02:00 PM
If you are into collecting game title editions…all personal choice.

DarkBlackWidow
07-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Mostly a waste. I got the Night Vision goggles from COD. Havent even taken them out just collecting dust.

Eddieg
07-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Some are, some are not. I have pre ordered the Gears 3 Epic Edition as I love Gears and I am an action figure/collectable collector. I was waiting to see what was in the Saints Row 3 collectors edition and was quite disappointed as the content looks pretty poor.

Jakez123
07-13-2011, 02:48 PM
for me it depends on what they are offering, the price and the game. The limited edition of mw2 for example came with cod 1, i myself havent experienced the first cod game so that would appeal to me as i would be able to play the developers previous game on my xbox 360.

i mean a statue or something in my opinion has no use, to me it just clutters unless you bought the limited edition and didn't open it to keep for a later date.

Worhammer
07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I'll agree with everybody else. It is mostly dependant on both the title and the quality of the stuff inside.

I got the Dead Space 2 CE, and was super disappointed with the crappy Plasma Cutter happy meal toy inside that I apparently paid $20 for. On the other hand, I've gotten the Legendary of H3 & Reach and am very pleased with both. I'll also be pleased with the stuff inside the Epic edition of Gears 3 with my Replica Lancer.

chelseaman99
07-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Depends how much I'll play the game and how much I'll use the content in it.

The only limited/collectors edition I have is of Forza Motorsport 3 which I've got quite a bit of use out of. The only other game I might get one of is FIFA 12, but it seems that the only extra thing in that will be Ultimate Team packs which I barely play anyway.

RwHo
07-13-2011, 03:53 PM
I think it depends on the game if you want to get the Limited or Collectors edition. Something like a Gears of War or Halo, I can see getting the more expensive game as to have to because of what game it is. I dont see getting a collectors edition of some other games that arent really special though.

Lord Yamikage
07-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Mostly a waste. I got the Night Vision goggles from COD. Havent even taken them out just collecting dust.

I"m curious to why you wasted $149.99 for the Prestige Edition then.

KeepEmRolling
07-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Working Designs were awesome...a truely sad day when they stopped publishing. I used to wish we'd finally get some of the incredible special editions that routinely came out in Japan back in the day. I even picked up the Japanese special edition of Metal Gear Solid for the psx and played it via the "spring trick" on US console.

It all comes down to what you like and if you feel it's worth it. However, most of the CE editions of games in this console generation aren't giving you much value for that extra $20+ and we're seeing more and more $150+ CEs. I feel it's slowly getting out of control, just like the state of pre order bonuses that are different for a half dozen retailers.

ExtremeRugburn
07-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Since the days of psx there was a now defuct company that would deliver more than just a game .....if you said working desgins pat yourself on your head!

Since then collectors edition have mainstream today delivering more fan service than ever before

But has it gone to far?.... wanting 150+ Dollars for some statue ,and some content and a artbook seem to be getting to high or even getting to Be werid with the catherine speical edition having a pair of heart boxer shorts!!

Or is worth it having a special weapon on day 1 In multiplayer that can put you in a good advantage agianist people who didn't shell out that extra 20-40 Dollars or couldn't find a special edition

So is collectors edition worth buying or they a waste of money?

I own several Special Edition and Collectors Edition and it is NOT worth the money in my opinion. This is my reasoning:

1)The making of dvd's are crap because you can find the same info online or in development diaries.
2)The artbooks are pointless because I flip through them once and never look at them again.
3)The maps or posters stay folded up in the box because im not a kid anymore so im not going to hang them up.
4) Any statue, figurine, replica, or toy is useless because I wont display them, play with them, or get any type of use or gratification from them.
5) Soundtracks, these can be cool, depending on the actual songs included though.
6) DLC. This alone is the primary reason I buy Collectors/Special Editions. However I must say that the OP's statement,

"Or is worth it having a special weapon on day 1 In multiplayer that can put you in a good advantage agianist people who didn't shell out that extra 20-40 Dollars or couldn't find a special edition"

has no bearing as no developer will release anything that gives players who spend more money an advantage in online play. At least I have never experienced it. Usually weapons are single player only and any online stuff is purely cosmetic.

nappster187
07-13-2011, 04:27 PM
i usually get the limited edition games if i plan on buying it anyway because the steel cases are cool, and i like getting the in game content stuff.... its usually not worth the money, but i guess for me it is...

HMS Resolution
07-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Many limited editions are totally worthless, it's like they emptied out a dollar store and slapped a logo on everything.

The ones that have DLC are alright, providing you actually some kind of discount by purschasing it with the game, otherwise there is no use. Or exclusive DLC that never gets released on Xbox Live(rarely happens).

Other than that the tins are kind of usefull as containers, and I'm into the metal games cases, but generally speaking the limited editions are no more worthy of $79.99 and up than the regular version is of $59.99. Either way you are overpaying.

H0p3sfalL
07-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Depends on 3 things for me :

1. If its a game I am really into or might enjoy
2. Price
3. What comes with it

Opiate42
07-13-2011, 05:13 PM
There's not many CE versions that make me want to part with my money.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 (CE on pre-order!!!). DA2, but the sig ed. came at the regular retail price.

I bought Halo Wars CE when it came out for my gf at the time.

Just got the Medal of Honor Limited Edition for $10 new from EBgames.

That was about it.

TheRedComet
07-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Like most people have said it just all depends. For me I have to be a big fan of a game or series and it has to come with cool stuff. I like collectibles so physical merchandise is always cool to me. I don't like digital content though. That stuff should be on the disc, and if it already is I shouldn't have to pay extra for it.

otaking live
07-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Oh god no. I have so many too. Sf4, Gta4, halos,etc. All pretty garbage.

The only reason I used to looove working designs is because they were a Japanese company. If the extras are anime items then I can enjoy them alot more.

CyberPunch83
07-13-2011, 09:30 PM
A collector's edition of a game is only as valubale as you want it to be and if it's really worth your time and money. If you're a huge fan of a series then of course you'll put don the extra cash for the limited/collector edition. If you're more of a casual player then you're more likely to go for the standard edition. It all comes down to your opinion of the game and the series as a whole.

Schism
07-13-2011, 09:47 PM
It pretty much comes down to how much you like the game. Silent Hill is one of my fav series..and if the new game had a collectors edition that came packaged with all kinds of silent hill stuff, I'd buy it..that would be pretty nice actually...I just made my self sad. But also comes down to the price. If its like $150 for a statue and shiz..then idk

DucknahEireann
07-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Depends on the game and the content you get with it. I dont like the way Special/Limited Editions are sometimes retailed at £130 (CoD-BO-Hardened Edition) then a month later its £70 but I quess thats the tricks of the trade.

otaking live
07-13-2011, 10:41 PM
It pretty much comes down to how much you like the game. Silent Hill is one of my fav series..and if the new game had a collectors edition that came packaged with all kinds of silent hill stuff, I'd buy it..that would be pretty nice actually...I just made my self sad. But also comes down to the price. If its like $150 for a statue and shiz..then idk

Nice!! Silent hill is one of my fav series ever so I hear you. Would love to see a special edition of that.

chinolicious
07-13-2011, 11:15 PM
i buy collector editions just to have them but i do agree that most of them are just a waste of money!!!:Bounce::Bounce:

Xavygravy
07-13-2011, 11:58 PM
I've learned my lesson after buying Halo Reach Legendary Edition.

All the gimmicky items such as artwork, statues or toys will grow old within a week.
The in-game items are never worth it either.
e.g. I got flames for buying Legendary Edition, but recently they've given everyone blue flames for free.

Lesson: Never buy collector's editions.

..Unless it's the same price as the regular edition, like it was at EB Games for Black Ops.

Darth Swifty
07-14-2011, 01:19 AM
The only one I have ever really wanted, wasn't available in the U.S :mad:

F.E.A.R. 3 - I am a Huge Fan of the Series.

13ip0lar
07-14-2011, 01:58 AM
I've never purchased a CE of a game, till recently. I think everyone is aware it's a gimmick and you usually get shit for the extra money you dish out. That said, I think you have to be a real big nerd/geek for the series or game, to warrant spending the extra money, hence why I opted for the CE of Mass Effect 3. However, I still think the vast majority of CE games are a waste of money. I plan to sell a lot of the virtual items from ME3 CE, to make my money back, if not break even. :D

Braiiins
07-14-2011, 02:06 AM
In my personal opinion in varies from game to game. Some games I just don't think have extras worth $150 (Black ops/Reach [maybe]), but some games I am willing to dish out the extra, like AC:B I didn't really think it was worth $100 but I wanted to get it anyway since I'm a fan of the series.

I preordered the epic edition of Gears 3 because that statue looks awesome and think it's worth the $150. I'm not a huge gears fan but I like stuff like that, I've bought statues like that (that didn't come with games) for $100 alone.

Adamant Truth
07-14-2011, 02:09 AM
I've learned my lesson after buying Halo Reach Legendary Edition.

All the gimmicky items such as artwork, statues or toys will grow old within a week.
The in-game items are never worth it either.
e.g. I got flames for buying Legendary Edition, but recently they've given everyone blue flames for free.

Lesson: Never buy collector's editions.

..Unless it's the same price as the regular edition, like it was at EB Games for Black Ops.

With the flames, it's a different effect. They gave out the Bungie Flames for free as a gift to the players when they officially handed over the series to 343.

Dz06lt
07-14-2011, 02:10 AM
not for a second, dont waste the money

TheRedComet
07-16-2011, 05:45 PM
I've never purchased a CE of a game, till recently. I think everyone is aware it's a gimmick and you usually get shit for the extra money you dish out. That said, I think you have to be a real big nerd/geek for the series or game, to warrant spending the extra money, hence why I opted for the CE of Mass Effect 3. However, I still think the vast majority of CE games are a waste of money. I plan to sell a lot of the virtual items from ME3 CE, to make my money back, if not break even. :D

If you're going to get rid of all the stuff it comes with why even buy it?

SevenJesterHats
07-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Im a big sucker for this kind of stuff :P but at the same time i would only get the collection edition if im a fan of the game and like the content. My favorite has to be the dead rising 2 high stakes edition, love the poker set! :)

shockwave x360a
07-16-2011, 06:36 PM
worth money, I personally save them because in time to come they will be worth something like baseball cards

Nami
07-17-2011, 02:34 AM
Im a sucker for collector editions of games. If it only cost another $10-20 i can usually live with myself for buying it but i wont usually pay an extra 50-100 for it unless it gives me something amazing.

Fullmetalx07
07-17-2011, 02:41 AM
I usually buy the CE for games, because I usually like what it contains.

Sylon00
07-17-2011, 04:11 AM
It really depends for me. I've only purchased a couple Collector's Editions, one being MW2 (hardened) and GT5 whatever their highest one was called. However I did just pre-order Forza 4 LCE. I don't do it too often, but it does happen occasionally.

DarkReign2021
07-17-2011, 04:15 AM
For me personally it's just a matter of what kind of things you want out of it. Obviously if it starts to get too expensive you've got to put your foot down, but for a reasonable price there are a few things I like out of a collectors edition.

Even since Halo 2, I've personally been a fan of metal cases. My Halo 2 LE case has regrettably rusted and I am now in search of a replacement, but I have since learned how to take care of them. My particular favorites are Halo 2, DOOM 3, Perfect Dark Zero, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

Depending on the quality, I also like getting some of the larger collectible statues. I have both the Halo 3 Helmet and the Halo: Reach statue. Both are proudly displayed in my home office and I intend to move them to my internet cafe for display sometime in the future. I would've invested in the Duke Nukem Bust, but I don't think it was big enough to be worth my time. It really should've been at least the size of the Halo 3 helmet.

It also helps for anything useful to be included. For instance, the upcoming Catherine is coming out with a wealth of goodies that I can actually use. The soundtrack will be great for my car (might even play it in my cafe from time to time.) The shirt and boxers will obviously get used and even the pillowcase is bound to be used.

Probably my favorite collectible item, however, is anything that adds to the games lore. We unfortunately don't get many of these and far as I can tell the only two series to have done this are Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion with the Tamriel Guide and the Halo series with H3's Beastiary and Reach's copy of Dr. Halsey's Journal (and the article clippings to a small degree.)

Aside from these, though, I really could care less. Making of Videos, Art books, random gimmicky items like Dice, playing cards, coins, etc... don't really interest me. Worst of all is the exclusive DLC. I don't think it's fair to the other gamers and at the very least this content should be made available for a small price on XBL. When I bought Halo: Reach I ended up listing my code for Recon, Elite Armor, Flaming Helmet, and the Gamestop grenade belt on eBay and some poor schmuck payed $80 for it alone. (So my Legendary set only cost me $70 total and I still have the Game, Journal, Statue, and packaging and my ability to enjoy the game is not at all affected.)

Ultimately, though, the biggest deciding factor is how dedicated and loyal you are to the series. I'm a huge fan of games like Halo, Elder Scrolls, and Mass Effect, so I'm more likely to be CEs for these games than others like Call of Duty and Gears of War, series of which I have little or no interest in. Halo gets an automatic LE upgrade, Mass Effect 3 will get an upgrade if they announce an Uber Edition like they were hinting at, and Elder Scrolls will as well when they finally announce a CE for it as well.

Storm Cobra
07-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Depends on the game and the CE, i guess. When I think the game is good and the CE is worth the price, I buy them.