View Full Version : Shoudlnt Laugh, But Cant Help It

07-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I was browsing the internet for an additional power cable for my 360 when i came across this story from back in 2007.

"A North Carolina teenager who decided the best way to cool his Xbox's overheating power supply was to stick it in a bowl of water was knocked unconcious by the resulting electric shock and earned himself a trip to hospital with "minor burns to his right hand and foot". According to local news reports, the 14-year-old Brevard youth was having a spot of bother with his console which would shut down every five minutes. His mum told the press he "thought the problem was likely linked to overheating" and duly "tried to fix it on his own based on tips he found online".

This apparently involved wrapping the offending power supply in plastic and tape and dunking it in said bowl "while it was still plugged in". His mother explained: "When I left to go next door he was playing a game but when I got back he was laying on his back on the floor and unconscious."
The young man was subsequently detained overnight at the local Transylvania Community Hospital."

I know i shouldnt laugh at this but i just cant beleive the sheer stupidity of some people.

Anyhows I just wondered whether anybody that had one of the old "problem" 360's came across any other stupidity fixes in order to get it working again?


07-14-2011, 12:28 PM

The only problem I had with my 360 was exactly a year ago when it stopped reading discs, but luckily it was still in warranty so got it fixed.

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again ...

07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Jesus, fucking retard.

07-14-2011, 12:32 PM
I love the fact that there are dumbarses out there who actually believe internet sarcasm.

07-14-2011, 12:45 PM
While it was still plugged in (probably on to?)? He's gotta be younger than 14 I think they made a mistake with that, its common sense not to put anything electrical into water, even a 5 year old knows that.

07-14-2011, 12:53 PM
That kid got trolled so hard hahaha

07-14-2011, 01:03 PM
While it was still plugged in (probably on to?)? He's gotta be younger than 14 I think they made a mistake with that, its common sense not to put anything electrical into water, even a 5 year old knows that.

Yea, but it was in a plastic bag. That definitely stops water...:p

07-14-2011, 01:56 PM
That is funny.

I guess his folks never told him what happens with electricity and water. And about believing random things you find online. This is a lesson he'll remember I hope if that part of his brain isn't cooked.

A ZombieTwinkie
07-14-2011, 03:32 PM
I think this sums it up enough, haha.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1062/26142210150238606471673.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/26142210150238606471673.jpg/)

Just goes to show: Common sense isn't as common anymore.

07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Makes me wonder about some people these days haha. He was from the same state as me, appparently stupidity runs deep here.

Ive had a few RROD problems and stuff like that, usually just send them back in to Xbox and get another one.

07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
hehe, well that fixed the overheating problem. :/

07-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Only real problem I've had was with 360 #1 that irreparably RRoD'd on me. I still have it, so if I ever do find a fix, I can sell the repaired unit for profit.

07-14-2011, 04:59 PM
I've had a few RRoDs, but I was never dumb enough to try and fix them myself. Yikes.

07-14-2011, 09:45 PM
I fucking hate it when I do that! :p

Seriously though, this guy may be the dumbest motherfucker on the planet. I'm going to try and find a video of that fix online.

07-14-2011, 11:54 PM
"tried to fix it on his own based on tips he found online"

There are people who actually do this?! : O

07-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Be nice if there was a guaranteed fix. I have an old Xbox 360 that RROD'd a few years ago just sitting on my desk. I've always wanted to do something with it, but I've never really been sure what (If I could guarantee it'll start working again, I'd love to convert it into a laptop or at least mod it in some way for some fun offline gaming.

07-15-2011, 01:00 AM
What a retard. And I don't wanna hear "He's only 14!!!"
Because anyone who tries to ignore common sense for an easy 360 fix deserves to be a roasted lump of noob.

07-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Genius, pure genius!

07-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Keep your 360 about 4 inches off the desk fully ventilated you will be fine! Dunk 360 in water........ was that an achievement in some game or something? I wonder because, when he woke up I hope he got the point! :)

07-15-2011, 05:21 AM
Everybody knows that you're supposed to unplug the power supply before dunking it in water :rolleyes:
Well everybody apart from this moron...

07-15-2011, 08:49 AM
i weep for humanity...

07-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Don't they teach kids in school anymore that electricity and water don't mix? Next thing he will be putting the toaster in the sink because his toast is burning...

07-15-2011, 11:58 AM
I was having a bad day and then I saw this :) What an idiot!

07-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Only 14 is not an excuse thats second year of high school in the uk. If he cant grasp a simple concept like that at 14 wtf was his parents doing leaving him alone.

Jesus i knew not to fuck around with electricity when i was... well i cant even remember how young i was i was taught at an early age not to play with fire electricity etc.

07-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Wow.. That's just sad that he's that stupid but amazingly amusing.

Loved that pic of the coyote btw.. haha soo true.

07-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Ahh, natural selection.

Storm Cobra
07-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Ahh, natural selection.

Haha :D

Being 14 years old isn't a excuse ... incredible.

07-15-2011, 06:31 PM
That was real stupid on his part and i actually find it funny also. I hope the kid is ok n hopefully learn from his mistakes

Mister Spraggsy
07-15-2011, 09:00 PM
He was honestly 14? WOW pluged in or not I still wouldent stick anything electrical in water.

Things like this do make me question the educational system.

07-15-2011, 09:04 PM
That might be worse than the kid on the Motorcycle forum who poured NOS energy drink into his gas tank to make his bike go faster. Afterall, it WAS on sale at Wal Mart.

07-15-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm telling you.....


^ It's not going to be long before our world is like that of Idiocracy

07-17-2011, 04:29 AM
The sad thing is, he thought that one out. Not all the way, but somewhat, lol.

07-17-2011, 04:02 PM
You mean this fix doesn't work? Aww man, luckily I read this before I submerged my 360 in my bathtub, next to my toaster, while taking a relaxing bath and playing some video games waiting for my toast. :p

Bill IV
07-17-2011, 06:44 PM
"many people don't understand the towel trick. If you try just wrapping it in towels, the person above me is right, it won't work. What you have to do is leave it on for an hour with the Red Rings, get it nice and hot, because that's why it Red Ringed in the first place, is the glue that held together the connectors melted. So make sure the glue is soft. After an hour of this, wrap the 360 in a towel tightly, then wrap another towel tightly around that. Make sure it's as air tight as you can get it. Then fill your bathtub or sink up with about 6 inches of ice cold water. DON'T HAVE THE FAUCET RUNNING AFTER THAT. Then submerge the toweled 360 in the water, and the cooling will freeze the glue and your key problem is fixed. Then flip it, and dunk it again, making sure you get both sides chilled. Do not take it out of the towels until it's out of the tub! Otherwise you are in danger of getting it wet."

Found this brilliant gem on yahoo answers, makes me want to try it...