PDA

View Full Version : Hot cable box on top of a 360?

Paka
07-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Ok, I'll admit this topic is partly just venting. I recently redid my cable package with Charter (not fond of them anyways) and had to get a cable box put in. Tech came when I was at work but my husband was home. Came home to find a very large and hot cable box placed right on top of my Xbox-- sticking out a couple inches past the Xbox on each side, to give you an idea of the size. I was livid. :mad: Who thinks THAT is a good idea, especially when I cleaned off another shelf for it already?

I don't blame my husband, as he is not a gamer and was told by this guy it would be fine. Luckily, had a different tech stop by after I got home to address a different issue, and he was a gamer and agreed the other tech was an idiot; said he wouldn't even put his PS3 on top of one. He had me feel the bottom of the cable box, and it was boiling hot. Luckily the system still seems to work fine and it was only there about six hours at most.

Please tell me that I'm right about being a bit pissed about this? Nobody else actually does set one on top of theirs, and if so, is it actually ok?

Dav13s
07-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Stuff on top of electronics is never really a good idea to be honest. Anything that needs to be cooled down needs as much space as possibly to breathe, especially a 360! 1st tech is a mong, you're quite right to be annoyed. As long as the Xbox is ok though, it's all good. If the Xbox was running at the time, it would have been a different story altogether

StolenPaper18
07-14-2011, 01:24 PM
I personally never set anything on my consoles, especially not a hot cable box. I dont know if it would actually wreck it or not, but it definitely isn't helping it at all, so no need to take a chance.

I'd probably be a little pissed if it happened to me.

xxxANTNEExxx
07-14-2011, 01:36 PM
You have every right to be pissed, I would be. I'd call the cable company and bitch. They probably won't do anything but I'd bitch at them anyways.

Paka
07-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks!! Yeah, I was going to ask too if it would be reasonable to complain-- I hate complaining, but also would hate to see this happen to someone else, the tech should be trained better since so many homes have consoles. My husband apologized to me because he did the survey right after and gave the guy great marks but I suppose I can call and tell them why that was so.

HuMuRoUs
07-14-2011, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't have been that mad as i would have just moved it.. but if you are like me and have the Gloss Black Slim, then i would have been furious. I don't know why but the older consoles felt more solid, could handle a few bashes etc, but the new one just seems a bit cheap. I use a duster cloth i bought especially for my 42 inch tv, its specially made for gloss, even if i dust my 360 with that, it scratches >.<!!! So i would NEVER lay anything on it..

Anywho the fact that he put a roasting hot cable box on what is CLEARLY a games console makes him a moron. I mean who doesn't know what an xbox is... It's basic common knowledge that electronics need to breathe. Maybe not a dvd player or video player etc but a powerful games console... Guys a tit.

gamerguy69
07-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Sure, you have a right to be angry.

You can also just move it and make a complaint to the cable co. It's not like it's a federal offense to re-arrange your cable box set-up and placement. :)

Paka
07-15-2011, 02:46 AM
Yep, moved it to the right shelf of course, was just worried about the damage it could have caused in the hours before I got home. I'm generally pretty even-tempered but tend to get a tad touchy about my gaming systems, had to let off some steam! ;)

Wickedsi
07-15-2011, 04:09 AM
I would be severely pissed off at that! They should know better. Heck my 360 sits on a 4 inch high bakers rack. Ventilated all the way around. For the hell of it you should call the cable company and tell them it messed it up to get a new one on them. Show them stupidity makes people pay!

Worhammer
07-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Yep, moved it to the right shelf of course, was just worried about the damage it could have caused in the hours before I got home. I'm generally pretty even-tempered but tend to get a tad touchy about my gaming systems, had to let off some steam! ;)
Unless your xbox was on, it wouldn't have done anything. Maybe on the older ones where the heatsink glue would melt off it might've been an issue, but even then I doubt it as long as your xbox wasn't actually running with the cable box on it.

StillTIPPIN187
07-15-2011, 05:22 PM
What a great dumbass.

Please tell me you dont have a slim? He'd have to be a brain dead moron to put a hot cable box on top of a slim, where the main vent is on top of the console. Though any console would be stupid, At the least he could have placed in UNDER the console. still bad.

Wouldn't take long to kill a xbox that way.

Paka
07-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Luckily not a slim, but yep, you'd think he'd at least have placed the 360 on top! Though, if he moved the system at all would have been a problem as I had a disc in there-- I didn't think to take it out because I had totally cleaned off and dusted the big shelf above (except for a tiny modem which I figured could stay there), and told my husband that is where it will go. I thought it would be obvious for them to put it there and that the Xbox shelf wouldn't be touched. But the guy just plopped it on the 360 and told hubby it would be fine! :mad:

DigitalFury
07-15-2011, 08:05 PM
You have a right to be annoyed because it's an annoying situation, but I don't think it's something so bad as you should risk this man's job, livelyhood and potential financial security of his family over something that can be fixed in a matter of minutes.

And since we are on this subject, I work for Comcast and I know for a fact (Because I was a tech for 2 yrs before I moved into the IT department last autumn) that technicians are told, very specifically, that they are not to move ANY piece of a customer's property, and yes this includes moving your 360 to put the box underneath it. If you wanted the cable box underneath the xbox then you should have moved it beforehand or asked your husband to move it while the tech was there.

Sorry, but this is not just your tech's fault, this is partially yours and your husband's fault for not moving the xbox for him or not giving him better directions of where to put your cable box.

The Dagda Mor
07-15-2011, 10:44 PM
I had a tv melt on top of a cable box once. I won't ever put electronics on electronics again.

Worhammer
07-16-2011, 10:37 AM
You have a right to be annoyed because it's an annoying situation, but I don't think it's something so bad as you should risk this man's job, livelyhood and potential financial security of his family over something that can be fixed in a matter of minutes.

And since we are on this subject, I work for Comcast and I know for a fact (Because I was a tech for 2 yrs before I moved into the IT department last autumn) that technicians are told, very specifically, that they are not to move ANY piece of a customer's property, and yes this includes moving your 360 to put the box underneath it. If you wanted the cable box underneath the xbox then you should have moved it beforehand or asked your husband to move it while the tech was there.

Sorry, but this is not just your tech's fault, this is partially yours and your husband's fault for not moving the xbox for him or not giving him better directions of where to put your cable box.
That would be true, except she said she completely emptied an entire other shelf specifically so the xbox wouldn't have to be moved or touched, or have anything on top of it :P

Paka
07-16-2011, 01:46 PM
That would be true, except she said she completely emptied an entire other shelf specifically so the xbox wouldn't have to be moved or touched, or have anything on top of it :P

Yep, I had also told my husband that it is where it is supposed to go-- the tech decided to put it on top of the 360 anyways and told my husband it would be fine. I'm not sure exactly all that was said because my husband was very sleepy at the time and couldn't remember too many specifics except that.

But to be fair, I should have made sure my husband knew that placement like that would be unacceptable, or left a note about it. So, since I've not complained yet, maybe I'll just let it go. I just don't understand why he didn't use the shelf I cleaned off. The 360 shelf is roomier (for ventilation) but I made plenty of room and they aren't far apart and cord length wasn't an issue.

NIK0N7
07-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Definitely not a good idea that tech guy was an idiot

DigitalFury
07-16-2011, 11:15 PM

I'm not completely defending the guy but it's not JUST his fault. I'm also not saying it's just OP's fault. The tech was kinda dumb for thinking it was okay for the box to go on top of anything and not noticing the cleaned off shelf. But, if the husband had clear instructions of where the box should go then he should have said something and asked the tech to move the box to where he wanted it (He wouldn't have refused, he can't).

It's reasons like this that I always despised when I would go to a customer's house to do an install and, instead of the person who made the order, there is someone who has no idea what's going on.

Take this piece of advice from your friendly neighborhood cable guy: If you are having a tech come out for something, make the appointment for when YOU are home; or leave a note with specific instructions, otherwise you may not like where the tech put the equipment.

And OP, I'm glad you've had time to cool down and rethink complaining to the company. I've worked in the Charter system before, as well as Comcast and I know they are very strict (Even moreso than Comcast) and complaining about something so easily fixed could still have terrible reprocussions for the tech (And his family if he has one)

mjc0961
07-16-2011, 11:55 PM
For the hell of it you should call the cable company and tell them it messed it up to get a new one on them. Show them stupidity makes people pay!Uhm, no. That would be an incredibly shit thing to do. That would certainly get the tech in trouble, probably fired. The tech did not make such a huge mistake as to warrant that. Plus, I'm pretty sure lying like that would have serious repercussions if the cable company and/or the tech found out it was a lie. Trouble with the cable company, trouble with the tech suing for getting him fired with a lie... All that because the husband didn't tell the cable guy where the box should go so he put it on the 360 that wasn't running and wasn't harmed? Ridiculous.

But to be fair, I should have made sure my husband knew that placement like that would be unacceptable, or left a note about it. So, since I've not complained yet, maybe I'll just let it go. I just don't understand why he didn't use the shelf I cleaned off. The 360 shelf is roomier (for ventilation) but I made plenty of room and they aren't far apart and cord length wasn't an issue.Letting it go is the right thing to do. It takes all of 5 minutes to unhook a cable box and move it to another shelf. Your husband should have been more firm with the tech (and maybe you should have been more firm with your husband as you seem to be saying) about where to put the box in the first place. And most importantly, the tech didn't break anything: your 360 is fine. So in the end, it's no harm, no foul.

I'm with DigitalFury: it's not worth possibly screwing up this guy's life with a complaint that could get him fired.

Sylon00
07-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Wow that cable guy was an idiot. Neither the 360 or the PS3 are made to have things set on top of them. But yeah, move the cable box, then just move on with the situation.

Paka
07-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the input; as the Xbox still seems to be working absolutely fine, I'll let this one go as suggested. I did probably just need time to calm down as I was really seeing red after coming home and seeing that. Part of why I was posting here, just venting a bit about it. And in fairness I was a little biased as I've had some issues with Charter before.

I did also fill in my husband that, for future reference, any hot object like that on top of any electronics is a really bad idea, haha.

Drewdude1023
07-20-2011, 04:17 AM
Im thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player soon and I don't really have anywhere to put it except for on top of the XBox. Is it okay to put something like that on top?

DigitalFury
07-20-2011, 04:42 PM
This probably belongs in The Tech Center, but I'll answer anyway: Short answer, no.

There are vents that promote air flow through your system's innards and you don't want to obstruct or impede that ventilation because it helps keep the "engine" of your 360 at proper temperatures.