PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it would still work?

Top Card
07-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Recently my basement was destroyed by a bit of water damage. It fell through the ceiling above the tv and got pretty much everything wet. (Xbox Included)
I have the Xbox360 250G Slim console so when I went to retrieve the hard-drive, I was surprised when it didn't seem to have had any water taken at all.

I haven't tried plugging it in because it may be dangerous so I went to ask you first.

Would it be possible that the console or hard drive may still work and if not, is there a way I can fix it avoiding buying another console.

Info that might help: My basement wasn't flooded just very wet. The ceiling tiles broke under the pressure of the water and the entire carpet was sopping. There was no standing water and my Xbox was sitting on a table about three feet tall next to the television.

Thanks guys for the help!

mercianix
07-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Your HDD "should" work providing that no water has got within the actual platters within the drive itself (unlikely unless you submerged it in water). That wouldn't cause any damage to the console it is in but it would make the drive unreadable.

Obviously you're the judge of just how wet your console got but as long as the interior is 100% dry then no permenant damage should have occured. You could try placing it in an airing cupboard or another such small enclosure with a dehumidifier if you're really concerned, this may be the best way extract any moisture from within the console? (I've dried out several mobile phones this way with moderate success.)

You can attempt to dry it with heat but I wouldn't recommend that, if the console powers on it will probably heat itself up enough to dry off anyway. Just make sure you use a fused extension incase it trips the power.

PenSwordXII
07-14-2011, 11:11 PM
In the end, the only way you're going to know if it's survived is if you plug it in. You're right that it could be dangerous if done too soon if the machine has water in it. My vote? Try to put the 'box out somewhere dry with good airflow, maybe on top of an AC vent if you have any in the floor or else on a hard surface with a fan next to it. Leave it alone, unplugged, to dry overnight. Maybe even two days if you're especially worried about it (though it'll suck to not be able to play games for two days). After that, if it seems reasonably dry, it'll be safe to plug in without frying it/electrocuting yourself. And then you can finally see if the hardware's okay. Best of luck!

Wii187
07-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Seal it in a bag of rice for a day or more to remove all excess moisture from it before you plug it back in. Maybe wrap it with a thin cloth so that rice doesn't get inside.

jaquan345
07-14-2011, 11:26 PM
let youre xbox air out for a couple of days then try it again

DucknahEireann
07-15-2011, 01:07 PM
As the above post said just leave it near a window for a few days to dry any water that might be in it. Better safe than sorry.

Dav13s
07-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Does this really need a poll? No way to know unless you plug it in after drying it out as suggested. Go do it

Worhammer
07-15-2011, 05:15 PM
As others have said, let it dry out. After all, the problem isn't getting your electronics wet, it's turning them on while they're still wet. So if you dry it out. A bag of rice is a good idea, but you'd want to wrap it in one of those thin foam packing sheets because those will keep the rice out but still let it dry through the foam because it's porous. Good luck to you my man.

MxPx
07-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Worst case scenario, a new slim is only like $199.