PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay MSP to M$ to unlock difficult/time consuming achievements?

TVthePunisher
07-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Original post in quotation:

The idea came to mind...mainly staring at Dead Rising here, since I have 48 out of 50 achievements and the only two that are left require me to play through the game a few times (I lost all my DR1 data) in order to get Transmissionary and 7 Day Survivor...I would gladly pay MSP to get these unlocked and not have to bother paying $10-20 just to find the game.

Aren't there achievements that bother you, either preventing a completion or maybe you can longer obtain them because of server closures? Put an option in the game that lets you go over all achievements for it and if it's not unlocked, you have the option of paying I don't know...40MSP to unlock it. Maybe more, depending on the achievement. I mean this would be completely legal since it's in Xbox Live's system, you're spending money to get MSP in which turn is used on unlocking difficult achievements. Yes, it's great to have them earned but you have to admit some of them are very stupid...in fact, to even get some achievements (such as Bioshock 2's three Rapture Metro cheevos) you have to pay 800MSP just to get the DLC...

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who wouldn't mind spending some MSP just to take care of games I don't want to have to go through again. And yes, when unlocked a timestamp would be attached to it.

Edit: While it may not seem much to others, my struggle through Kinectimals with my f'd up ankle has proven that facing a challenge and overcoming it is far more gratifying than ever having to pay for it. Yes, the idea is the cheap way out now as I see it...I've earned every point I have up until now and that's how it's going to stay. Even 7 Day Survivor, when I get Dead Rising again, will be earned the right way...and I can look back at it knowing I didn't take the "easy way" out if one existed. People can still comment on the idea but I don't believe I'm willing to pay for achievements anymore, period.

BluWolve
07-16-2011, 01:02 AM
I personally wouldn't do it ever, but that is just me. I see how some people could find it a welcome addition though, not to mention MS would make a ton of cash from it.

Though I must say it sort of defeats the purpose of having achievements in the first place, because you wouldn't really be achieveing anything by paying for them.

Maybe if they put some sort of marker on the achievement to differentiate between buying them and unlocking them properly?

RadiantViper
07-16-2011, 01:03 AM
I can suck Microsoft's dick AND get something with no actual effort or skill required?

Sign me up!

Fullmetalx07
07-16-2011, 01:07 AM
if they would do this, they better be an asterisk next to the achievement or a different symbol, so people can tell if you unlocked legit or just gave money to Microsoft, but I totally against this.

STILLBORN
07-16-2011, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't, it would defeat the purpose of unlocking an "achievement".

dakisbac
07-16-2011, 01:09 AM
It defeats the whole point of the system, but I would support it for glitched achievements or achievements that are no longer obtainable due to server closures or events that are no longer being run.

RwHo
07-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Nope, I would not. I like the feeling of getting them legit, shows that you have actually done something. I don't see how this would be fair at all.

Benny34
07-16-2011, 01:13 AM
there called ACHIEVEments,
your supposed to ACHIEVE them,
and know i would not...

TVthePunisher
07-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Ah, I figured it wouldn't go over well =) though I do think the whole idea could be put into use for what Dak was suggesting. Maybe only have it for achievements that can no longer be obtained, or are simply glitched beyond repair.

I love earning my achievements, I may only have 30K gamerscore but I earned every point on this tag. Though there are times when I wish for the more annoying achievements I had a legal alternative to unlocking them without pouring hours into getting them to pop but...the community has spoken hah hah.

Fullmetalx07
07-16-2011, 01:37 AM
The only achievement I would pay for is if Microsoft gave you an achievement worth 0pt for donating money to some charity

undephined
07-16-2011, 02:00 AM
The only achievement I would pay for is if Microsoft gave you an achievement worth 0pt for donating money to some charity

There's a "Save Japan" Gamerpic donation on the marketplace. Under gamerpics, there's four of them. One is 360, one is 800, one is 1200, one is 2000. All of the amount of MSP earned from those sales will be donated to Japan.

Anyway, OT:

I wouldn't do this, but I think that if you were to pay for it, it should be less than the score of someone did it legit. Ex: 20:gsicon: = 15:gsicon: or 10:gsicon:

I wouldn't care if Microsoft did do this, it wouldn't affect me in any way. I'll still earn all of my achievements legit as I always have.

hypermetalsonic
07-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Only achievements they should unlock for us are un-achievable ones (glitched or closed servers.. :\)

Hell... If I were to pay them anything it would be for removing achievements of games I dont want

Masfima
07-16-2011, 02:10 AM
I find this whole idea of buying achievements rather appalling.

Minty
07-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Whats the difference between paying MS $10 to do it and paying some kid to hack it for you?

Fullmetalx07
07-16-2011, 02:13 AM
Whats the difference between paying MS $10 to do it and paying some kid to hack it for you?

Paying Microsoft means not getting Ban from Live

Gackt
07-16-2011, 02:15 AM
lol Micro Transactions for achievements... people would definitely pay money for the achievements I have no doubt...but I think it would ruin achievements rather quickly when you no longer need to put any effort into them.

ninjachicken
07-16-2011, 02:32 AM
Well if people could buy them then they would seem kind of pointless to spend hours to get them then. Even if it was just closed servers it would mean people would wait until they close insted of putting the effort it. How about a way to make the game easier for a bit of money insted like in Tales of Vesperia you can get +5 levels for 200 points, you still need to work for it but it won't be as hard.

InfamousVuk
07-16-2011, 02:40 AM
if they would do this, they better be an asterisk next to the achievement or a different symbol, so people can tell if you unlocked legit or just gave money to Microsoft, but I totally against this.

I agree with this.
If someone would actually pay to unlock an achievement, there should be something to indicate that it was unlocked by paying for it.

On a slight other note, I don't believe that many players work for achievements... most of them are probably only playing 1 or 2 online games *cough*blackops*couch*haloreach and forget about everything else.
I personally, haven't played my 360 for over 2 months now.... but the last games I did play and the account activity report from MS showed me this:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o38/Vukkie/Untitled-1.png

Or maybe I just whored achievements too much during this period

Capn Doug
07-16-2011, 05:26 AM
Unlock an achievement by paying for it? No, not under any circumstances.

But many music game players have been in the position of paying to make an achievement easier, whether intentionally or not. A lot of people downloaded Polly to get the 100% drum achievements, some downloaded Death Magnetic to make GH3 easier, that sort of thing. But you are probably going to find a lot of developers doing things like that in the future. Fable 2 had DLC that made the original 1000 easier, Some sports games offer DLC stat boosts, that sort of thing.

TVthePunisher
07-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Unlock an achievement by paying for it? No, not under any circumstances.

But many music game players have been in the position of paying to make an achievement easier, whether intentionally or not. A lot of people downloaded Polly to get the 100% drum achievements, some downloaded Death Magnetic to make GH3 easier, that sort of thing. But you are probably going to find a lot of developers doing things like that in the future. Fable 2 had DLC that made the original 1000 easier, Some sports games offer DLC stat boosts, that sort of thing.

I would love love LOVE DLC for Dead Rising that added something like a save feature to Infinite Mode. A friend of mine suggested make it "limmited", say you needed to save and go to work/school...you only get maybe...2 or 3 saves for the mode and that's it. Kind of like used up continues in an older style game...maybe also make it where food stays in one spot if you leave the area, so say you packed a bunch of stuff ontop of the roof of the small building outside then had to run to gather more crap...that way you could just really store up on everything and have it there for you to access.

Actually, I like that idea a bit more (unless it's for unachieveable cheevos)...DLC that makes getting time consuming or difficult achievements easier. Maybe something for Transmissionary too, where you could have a log or something of all the calls you need to catch...and if you get attacked or have to save someone, you can't actually MISS the call like I did. (I only missed ONE call and that was because I had to save a crucial survivor for ANOTHER call later in the game ~__~ idiot was getting mauled by zombies and was near death).

BluWolve
07-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Only achievements they should unlock for us are un-achievable ones (glitched or closed servers.. :\)

Hell... If I were to pay them anything it would be for removing achievements of games I dont want
I don't think we should have to pay for unobtainable/glitchy achievements, those should be freebies.

If you do pay there should be a $ next to the achievement?

hydrosugar
07-16-2011, 09:01 AM
No, i wouldn't pay a cent to unlock achievements, because doing so would defeat the purpose of them being called achievements. ;)

Never Final
07-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Paying for achievements would be worse then gamesaving them. The point of them is to be proud of them. How can you be proud of an achievement if all you did was hit put in your credit card. If they put a $ or similar next to it then no one would be in awe at your awesomeness anymore. Just one achievement like that and it would ruin your whole gamercard.

CyberPunch83
07-16-2011, 01:45 PM
There may be one exception to the 'it's worse than gamesaving' argument. Games with offline servers. If the achievement is impossible to get by normal means, then and only then should you be able to buy those achievements, because that would be the only way to get which cannot be got any other way. Now before you go off on me saying I'm an achievement/completion whore, I agree in having an asterisk or something to show that the achievement was not won by legitimate means.That should be a requirement for such an idea. The only other question would be how much would something like this cost? It wouldn't be cheap.

MORON2
07-16-2011, 01:48 PM
No, cheaters will always be cheaters and are unfair on legitimate players. What would be the point in achievement hunting when your not hunting the achievements?.

Dafy G
07-16-2011, 02:02 PM
I think achievements in general are unnecessary and the only reason I tolerate them is because they are free.

BluWolve
07-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Paying for achievements would be worse then gamesaving them. The point of them is to be proud of them. How can you be proud of an achievement if all you did was hit put in your credit card. If they put a $ or similar next to it then no one would be in awe at your awesomeness anymore. Just one achievement like that and it would ruin your whole gamercard.

Exactly why I suggested it. I know if I saw a gamercard with $ signs next to their achievements I would think alot less of them. If only because they are that stupid to actually pay for something that they should be able to get if they are skilled enough, which obviously they are not if they have to pay for them in the first place.

There may be one exception to the 'it's worse than gamesaving' argument. Games with offline servers. If the achievement is impossible to get by normal means, then and only then should you be able to buy those achievements, because that would be the only way to get which cannot be got any other way. Now before you go off on me saying I'm an achievement/completion whore, I agree in having an asterisk or something to show that the achievement was not won by legitimate means.That should be a requirement for such an idea. The only other question would be how much would something like this cost? It wouldn't be cheap.

Second time I have addresed this. Why the hell should we as already paying customers have to pay extra to unlock an achievement that is no longer obtainable through no fault of our own? It is not our fault the servers were shut down or the game devs release a game with glitchy achievements, then have the audacity to not make a patch to fix it?

If there was ever a way to unlock unobtainable or glitched achievements we as paying customers should get them unlocked for free. It would be alot cheaper than them having to reopen closed servers or make a glitch fixing patch.

The only problem I have with that though is that I would not feel that I had achieved that achievement. But if there is no possible way to obtain it then I will take it.

Otherwise, stop releasing games with online achievements.

Blink
07-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah, paying for an achivement is basically cheating imo. Especially if it's one that would take a regular player alot of time and effort to get. Every discussion like this brings me back to the Seriously achievement from GoW1. It was a symbol of dedication, until people started glitching it. It's the same principal, really.

otaking live
07-16-2011, 03:59 PM
OMG please don't give Microsoft any ideas!!!

But I agree they should do something about these closed ea server cheevos. You should just have to load the game up and they should pop. Maybe with a caption such as ' closed freebie'.

punker
07-16-2011, 04:21 PM
It is not our fault the servers were shut down

But it IS your fault for waiting so long to play the game in question.

If someone can't be bothered to play the game when it releases, that's not the company's problem... they typically have their servers open for at least a couple years*, which is more than ample time to obtain all the achievements.

*Except for that ONE time for that Lord of the Rings game... everyone loves to cite that, so I'll jump the gun and acknowledge it myself.

shockwave x360a
07-16-2011, 04:27 PM
yes i would

Mightymango
07-16-2011, 04:28 PM
No, although some of the super easy DLC achievements almost make it seem like I am.

tpeterie3
07-16-2011, 04:28 PM
no i probably wouldn't

GhostFalcon3
07-16-2011, 05:04 PM
no, it defies the purpose of it being an achievement.

TVthePunisher
07-16-2011, 05:14 PM
I got one yes out of it all lol, but I'm a good sport...yes it takes the meaning out of many achievements being rewards for hard efforts. I agree with statements regarding Online Achievements...especially the one where maybe they shouldn't exist at all. It seems kind of a way to "force" players into doing the Multiplayer, like for Bioshock 2 by example. Not a lot of people like that multiplayer...but I believe about 10-13 are tied to it (DLC included) and for someone who wants to complete it just like they did the first Bioshock, it's a must to suffer through either doing it by the book or turret hacking.

I'm strongly opposed to multiplayer achievements, I wish there was a way to I don't know...get that through to developers, but I don't think that's going to happen. Multiplayer achievements are bad for completionists because of requirements (like Gears of War) or server shutdowns which makes them virtually impossible to get because then there are no patches released to help the player unlock the remaining GS. Hell, I was looking through the list of Glitched/Unachievable achievements and some of the games can only be completed by about 500GS because the rest are all online! Now that's terrible when half your game is multiplayer-based and you can't even unlock them because of stupid friggin multiplayer achievements...and then you have to worry about some snob idiot thinking you hacked it if you DO have the game listed as complete because they're not smart enough to realize you MAY have played and completed it before the server closure (which I don't doubt has happened at some point in xbox live history, multiple times).

In relation to the topic...somewhat ironic that some of us do pay for achievements when it comes to DLC. The only reason I'd get Rapture Metro (which is worth 800MSP) is so I can unlock the last three achievements in Bioshock 2, so in a way I'm paying to get those achievements as "unlockable". I don't usually buy DLC unless achievements are associated with it, because I could be using that MSP on an Arcade Title or hell even avatar clothing.

jules the great
07-16-2011, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't, it would defeat the purpose of unlocking an "achievement".
:drunk yes! This is why its called an Achievement!

skatemore
07-16-2011, 05:24 PM
ACHIEVEments

Stupid idea is stupid.

/thread

Capn Doug
07-16-2011, 05:38 PM
If there was ever a way to unlock unobtainable or glitched achievements we as paying customers should get them unlocked for free. It would be alot cheaper than them having to reopen closed servers or make a glitch fixing patch.

But I agree they should do something about these closed ea server cheevos. You should just have to load the game up and they should pop. Maybe with a caption such as ' closed freebie'.

Have either of you unlocked an achievement that you didn't deserve? It isn't a great feeling, even if it is unintentional. But what you are talking about is actually way worse. You are saying that these achievements that people worked for (and in some cases put in a considerable amount of organization to get), you should just have them unlock for you because you didn't care enough to get the achievement when it was available. Look at the people who organized the 1000 people online for NBA Live 07. Do you honestly want to diminish that feat by just getting that achievement automatically for putting the game in the tray? There are more than 1700 games with the full gamerscore available, why are people obsessed with the less than 100 that don't?

I'm strongly opposed to multiplayer achievements, I wish there was a way to I don't know...get that through to developers, but I don't think that's going to happen. Multiplayer achievements are bad for completionists because of requirements (like Gears of War) or server shutdowns which makes them virtually impossible to get because then there are no patches released to help the player unlock the remaining GS. Hell, I was looking through the list of Glitched/Unachievable achievements and some of the games can only be completed by about 500GS because the rest are all online! Now that's terrible when half your game is multiplayer-based and you can't even unlock them because of stupid friggin multiplayer achievements...and then you have to worry about some snob idiot thinking you hacked it if you DO have the game listed as complete because they're not smart enough to realize you MAY have played and completed it before the server closure (which I don't doubt has happened at some point in xbox live history, multiple times).

They may be hell for completionists, but they are fine for people who actually, ya know, *like* the game. If you managed to do something incredible online, you have still *achieved* something. Should you not get an achievement for it? Really, the achievement list in a game is never aimed at people who will play the game just for achievements, it is aimed at people who play the game a lot and for fun when you are looking at multiplayer achievements. And even with those, you are kind of able to pay for them, since a lot of games offer DLC item packs. No achievements, but they make you stronger and therefore better able to rack up wins or level up.

SevenJesterHats
07-16-2011, 06:29 PM
i wouldnt but IF there was such a option i would hope the bought achievements would be flagged in some way, letting others know they bought the achievement instead of earning it legit. :)

Arduous Wolf
07-16-2011, 07:53 PM
This would be a rather dangerous thing to implement. We all know how much Microsoft love making money and if people started paying to unlock achievements that were hard or time consuming then that could encourage Microsoft to push developers to make near impossible achievement lists. Why let people get achievements naturally when you can make them buy them?

I'm sure there are people that would use the service but I personally would consider it a form of cheating. I have a hard enough time not feeling like a total cheat when I boost multiplayer achievements.

Sure it sucks when a server goes down but thats just one of those things you have to accept if you play older games. Personally I would like to have two completion percentages one for single player and one for multiplayer. That way when servers go down at least people can see you got 100% completion on single player

MxPx
07-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Paying for achievements? i lol'd.

Maybe if by 100%ing a game you got some kind of financial reward...like 100 MSP or something. But until all the idiots stop hacking, that will never happen.

DucknahEireann
07-16-2011, 08:06 PM
I am not a defeatist and I would never pay for an achievement. Thats the whole point.....to ACHIEVE them. Not pay for them. If the achievement in question is hard or takes longs periods of time to complete then all the more satisfaction once you legitimately obtain it. Its a good idea TV but defeats the purpose of achievements.

M4st3r Ox
07-16-2011, 08:17 PM
i will pay for it but only the co-op achievements.

OptimusPrime76
07-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Have either of you unlocked an achievement that you didn't deserve? It isn't a great feeling, even if it is unintentional. But what you are talking about is actually way worse. You are saying that these achievements that people worked for (and in some cases put in a considerable amount of organization to get), you should just have them unlock for you because you didn't care enough to get the achievement when it was available. Look at the people who organized the 1000 people online for NBA Live 07. Do you honestly want to diminish that feat by just getting that achievement automatically for putting the game in the tray? There are more than 1700 games with the full gamerscore available, why are people obsessed with the less than 100 that don't?

They may be hell for completionists, but they are fine for people who actually, ya know, *like* the game. If you managed to do something incredible online, you have still *achieved* something. Should you not get an achievement for it? Really, the achievement list in a game is never aimed at people who will play the game just for achievements, it is aimed at people who play the game a lot and for fun when you are looking at multiplayer achievements. And even with those, you are kind of able to pay for them, since a lot of games offer DLC item packs. No achievements, but they make you stronger and therefore better able to rack up wins or level up.

Totally agree with all of this.

If people could simply buy achievements then the whole system would be utterly meaningless. I've got a good job with a decent amount of disposable income so if I could buy achievements in one day I'd have a bigger gamerscore than stallion83 lol! Is that fair, of course not.

If you can't do an achievement because you lack skill or your too lazy to bother putting the time in you shouldn't have the achievement.

Worse is all the whinging about closed servers. Servers are closed when the online community is dead, simple. As mentioned above this is less than 100 games currently available out of nearly 1800 games. If you didn't play the game on release then tough shit. You shouldn't just be handed free mp achievements for zero effort when someone who bought the game on release worked for them. If your bothered about your completion rate don't buy old games, simples.

loganlogan80
07-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Personally I would never do this. Paying for the achievements completely defeats the purpose and I would much rather not have an achievement than pay for something that won't help me in life.

CMCX360
07-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Sorry, anyone who would buy into a system like this is a fool.

III Alec III
07-16-2011, 11:30 PM
I think achievements in general are unnecessary and the only reason I tolerate them is because they are free.

This is an achievement website. Isnt it wasting your time to post an achievement website about hating achievements?

OT: I would not buy achievements ever. It wouldnt feel right having them unlocked for me. It would eventually turn into a contest to see who has the most money to spend on achievements.

adamrulz
07-17-2011, 02:37 AM
I love achievements, and even play easy Disney games (so what!), but I would NEVER pay for them...EVER. That's why I try to knock out the sports stuff early, or before servers close (like Madden 10 soon). Everything esle, I do it legit, or on my own, hard or easy.

BluWolve
07-17-2011, 04:57 AM
But it IS your fault for waiting so long to play the game in question.

If someone can't be bothered to play the game when it releases, that's not the company's problem... they typically have their servers open for at least a couple years*, which is more than ample time to obtain all the achievements.

*Except for that ONE time for that Lord of the Rings game... everyone loves to cite that, so I'll jump the gun and acknowledge it myself.
Totally agree with all of this.

If people could simply buy achievements then the whole system would be utterly meaningless. I've got a good job with a decent amount of disposable income so if I could buy achievements in one day I'd have a bigger gamerscore than stallion83 lol! Is that fair, of course not.

If you can't do an achievement because you lack skill or your too lazy to bother putting the time in you shouldn't have the achievement.

Worse is all the whinging about closed servers. Servers are closed when the online community is dead, simple. As mentioned above this is less than 100 games currently available out of nearly 1800 games. If you didn't play the game on release then tough shit. You shouldn't just be handed free mp achievements for zero effort when someone who bought the game on release worked for them. If your bothered about your completion rate don't buy old games, simples.

Ok look, I DO NOT agree with being able to buy achievements and even if the option was available I would never use it. I said that in my first post, along with the idea of if it was available and people chose to use the feature then they should have some sort of marking next to it, or through it (like a $) showing that they have not ACHIEVED the Achievement.

I am sorry but I still fail to see the reason as to why a games servers closing is the customers fault? If I go to a store, buy a game and on the back of that game it says ONLINE MULTIPLAYER my first thought is that this game has ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. When I get home and try to play it online and I can't because of a server closure that pisses me off. I feel like I have only paid for half a game and that is not just talking about achievements. I do not have money to buy every game I like when it first comes out, as in Australia newly released games can cost upward of $100.

I admit that I have only done this once when I first got my xbox as I didn't know any better (Lord of the Rings Conquest). Now before I buy a game I make sure the servers are still up and running, but not everyone who owns an xbox would think to do that. Hell, some people think a server is someone that brings you your food at a restaraunt!

I have never Unlocked an Achievement that I did not deserve, but I could Imagine it would be a crap feeling, as I love achievements and feel proud when I unlock a particuarly hard one, so I understand the argument that being able to buy them or getting them for free is not fair on the people that have earned them. But what is wrong with having an unobtainable achievement unlocked with a mark on it that shows this player did not ACHIEVE this Achievement? That way if you are looking at someones Achievements you can see whether they Achieved it, Paid for it or Given it due to Unobtainability? Shouldn't that make everyone happy?

Except the fools who actually pay for them of course haha.

Oh and I am not particuarly concerned about my completion rate to the point of obsession, If I really like a game I will buy it regardless of the state of the servers. Just playing Devils Advocate.

For Example LOTR Conquest. I really enjoyed that game as I like the LOTR saga and I liked the hole StarWars Battlefront style of play (I Can't wait for Star Wars Battlefront 3 :) ) but I was dissapointed I wasn't able to play it online. Not only because of the Achievements but because I thought it would be a fun game to play online. Simple as that.

TVthePunisher
07-17-2011, 05:10 AM
I agree that gamers shouldn't be punished for buying a game after the servers closed. Like BluWolve said, say you're just wandering through gamestop or a Mom&Pop store and see a game that interests you. As he said, you flip it over and bam..."Online Multiplayer" so you're like "ah sweet, if I like the singleplayer I'd love to try this online"...so you get home, try out the singleplayer and you love it...so you want to see if anyone's online to play the game with you BUT...you find out the server's closed. You are baffled...alittle irritated even and say this person loves going for achievements, they then check out the achievements for the game and see that over 40% of the game's remaining achievements have to be obtained online. You start to feel the completionist part of you die inside knowing that this game, that you really liked, can't be completed fully due to a server closure...

But just a moment! I've found something...just TAKE A LOOK AT THIS! *reveals an alternative solution* for those of you gamers who didn't pick this game up beforehand while the servers were still open, the developers were kind enough to leave one last downloadable content for the game on the marketplace! "Unfortunately our servers had to be closed down but don't worry, we've graciously compiled every online achievement into this simple downloadable key that will unlock all of them as soon as you load up the game again!"...suddenly you're ecstatic, and the best part...it's FREE!

Sure, it may make other gamers say "Hey, wait a minute...I worked my ass off to get those achievements while the servers were open!"..well never worry, an indicator has been placed on each multiplayer achievement to certify that it was (Unlocked via DLC). This way you can still be proud of that achievement, knowing you don't have that next to the achievement's description. But now everyone can be satisfied knowing they could actually complete the game and those that did it while the servers were open can still feel proud knowing they have the ORIGINAL achievements!

A solution to work for everyone...if people still want to complain that it's "not fair", then I don't know what else to tell ya. But denying gamers who travel back a few years for earlier titles these said achievements is just as unfair...

Capn Doug
07-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Umm, Punisher, that really doesn't solve the problem. Not only that, but look at all the people right now who are scrambling to do things like finish Skate or Army of Two. You would have people just waiting for the servers to shut down so they could get the achievements for no effort. It doesn't matter if there is an asterix beside your achievement, you still got it without having to work for it when others put in the effort.

Is going through the massive organizational effort to organize getting 1000 people online at the same time equivalent to "Put the game in the tray?" Is spending hours getting 100 wins or playing 50 games the equivalent accomplishment to "Put the game in the tray?" There are people who spent months getting an account into the top 50 on NHL 08, just to get one achievement. Do you really want to belittle their accomplishment by saying, "yeah, if you had waited a bit, you could have gotten it in 5 minutes." It may seem like punishing the people who came late to the party, but remember, there are around 1700 games that have no unachieveables available today between retail games, arcade games, GFWL games and WP7 games.

Not only that, but if you made the mistake of buying a game that had an unachievable and didn't check, here is my advice: "Suck it up and deal with it." If you didn't check, you probably didn't care. And most completionist have games that they bought and started before checking the list and will probably never be completed. It happens, deal with it. Play something else and enjoy that. But don't try and get something for nothing when others actually put in the effort.

TVthePunisher
07-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Then there must be no real solution aside from "tough luck, you missed your chance". I get that there were organized efforts put in place to obtain something before time ran out...but this kind of trails into the DLC thread...recently an idea for a "tab" came up. That games should be selectable and then it would show the regular thousand, then the DLC...well maybe it could work for singleplayer/multiplayer as well. I'd be happy with that if there's no other fair alternative to getting those now unattainable achievements, if it would show like...say for example Gears of War, it would read kind of like this:

Singleplayer: 630/630 (for me at least)
Multiplayer: 10/620 (that includes DLC and yeah, I only have one multiplayer achievement in gears).

Maybe a system like that might suffice? If there was a server shutdown, at least gamers would have XX/XX for the singleplayer completed (unless there is also a glitched achievement or two that prevents completion of even that).

Edit: I went back and noticed the three co-op achievements I had earned, so maybe one other section for Co-Op...or maybe toss it in there with multiplayer, I don't know. This is just a brainstorm anyways..

dakisbac
07-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Although I support the ability to buy unobtainable achievements I do agree with Doug that it isn't fair to those who did achieve them properly while they were available. Of course, the current system isn't fair either as late adopters are getting screwed over.

The fair thing in the case of online servers is either A) don't include online achievements or B) switch to P2P hosting after the shutdown so they are still obtainable.

Microsoft better seriously revamp the achievement guidelines for their next console.

Damian227
07-17-2011, 06:16 AM
No I wouldn't.... that wouldn't be achieving, that would be shopping.

Capn Doug
07-17-2011, 06:46 AM
The system right now is clean, simple and effective. The more complexity that you build into the system (whether it comes from purchasable achievements, split gamerscores and the like), the more likely you are to have things go wrong, with things like...

Although I support the ability to buy unobtainable achievements I do agree with Doug that it isn't fair to those who did achieve them properly while they were available. Of course, the current system isn't fair either as late adopters are getting screwed over.

The fair thing in the case of online servers is either A) don't include online achievements or B) switch to P2P hosting after the shutdown so they are still obtainable.

Microsoft better seriously revamp the achievement guidelines for their next console.

...people not following the achievement guidelines to begin with. There are rules in place now, but every so often, a game breaks them. Look at Guitar Hero 3 or the Orange Box, with more than 50 on disc achievements. Look at Lips, with "DLC" that can only be purchased on discs, and you can't play the "DLC" with the retail disc in the tray. Look at Fable 2, where the achievements can only be unlocked by using outside sources (the Fable Website, and Pub Games). Look at Osmos, where the developers were told to have 12 achievements, so MS stuck in a secret 0g achievement that is unobtainable. There are several other examples (Halo 3, Red Dead Redemption), but the fact remains, that the achievement guidelines are at best, suggestions. And there weren't even full guidelines until partway through the generation, which is why Condemned is only worth 970g.

And I'm sure the advantages to being a new adopter balance the disadvantages. For example, you know when something is broken, as opposed to buying it day one and finding out that it is broken after trying it. There are more games availible, and more easy games, too, meaning that if someone was properly motivated, they could start a new tag and get 100,000g by the end of the year.

No system will ever truly be fair to all participants. But the current system is simple and it works.

Edit: I suppose I should make it clear that I would prefer that there was always some way of obtaining the achievement, but in a way where you are still putting in the effort and not belittling the accomplishment (P2P works, gifting the achievement doesn't).

BluWolve
07-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Umm, Punisher, that really doesn't solve the problem. Not only that, but look at all the people right now who are scrambling to do things like finish Skate or Army of Two. You would have people just waiting for the servers to shut down so they could get the achievements for no effort. It doesn't matter if there is an asterix beside your achievement, you still got it without having to work for it when others put in the effort.

Is going through the massive organizational effort to organize getting 1000 people online at the same time equivalent to "Put the game in the tray?" Is spending hours getting 100 wins or playing 50 games the equivalent accomplishment to "Put the game in the tray?" There are people who spent months getting an account into the top 50 on NHL 08, just to get one achievement. Do you really want to belittle their accomplishment by saying, "yeah, if you had waited a bit, you could have gotten it in 5 minutes." It may seem like punishing the people who came late to the party, but remember, there are around 1700 games that have no unachieveables available today between retail games, arcade games, GFWL games and WP7 games.

Not only that, but if you made the mistake of buying a game that had an unachievable and didn't check, here is my advice: "Suck it up and deal with it." If you didn't check, you probably didn't care. And most completionist have games that they bought and started before checking the list and will probably never be completed. It happens, deal with it. Play something else and enjoy that. But don't try and get something for nothing when others actually put in the effort.

The whole point of the asteriks next to an achievement that was not ACHIEVED is for those people who did do it properly to still have the ACHIEVED achievement and so we could all tell whether or not it was ACHIEVED.

The only people who actually care about mass organised events to get an achievement are the people, like us, who appreciate an achievement for what it is, which is exactly why we wouldn't be buying an achievement when we could put in the work to actually ACHIEVE it.

As for people scrambling to finish achievements before the servers close, fair call. But If any of those people actually care about ACHIEVING Achievements and not just completion percentage then they would still be scrambling, otherwise they would have an ugly astericks next to any Achievement they didn't get.

I think the main point of my argument that you are missing is that People who buy or get an achievement due to unobtainability ARE NOT getting the same thing as those that actually ACHIEVED the achievement. Maybe in some peoples eyes it is the same but not in those that actually care about Achievements.

EDIT: P2P would be a great idea, I would always put in the work to ACHIEVE an achievement rather than have it given to me for nothing.

Storm Cobra
07-17-2011, 08:16 AM
There is no sense in such a feature. I want to earn my achievement on the regular way and not bribe Microsoft for unlocking it for me.

Capn Doug
07-17-2011, 08:19 AM
I think you'll find, though, that people just sort of accept the asterix the same way they accept an achievement not having a date stamp. One of those "it comes with the territory" sort of things. Not only that, but if the idea is to label someone, how much digging do you think people actually do into people's gamertag?

Finally, if you didn't actually accomplish anything besides unlocking the achievement, why would you want it in the first place? Yeah, there are easy games like Avatar, but at least you have accomplished the 50 hit combo to unlock the achievement. You didn't actually do what was required for the achievement if you just spent MSP on it. If you did absolutely nothing to get it, is it even worth having in the first place? Yes, there are "thank you for buying the game achievements," but with those, that is the whole point, either setting up atmosphere (Prince of Persia), a joke (the Simpsons) or just a simple reward (Chime). None of these are "ran out the clock*," and were never intended to be as such. There are other sources of gamerscore out there, why are people dwelling on the small portion that they can't have?

BluWolve
07-17-2011, 08:44 AM
I think you'll find, though, that people just sort of accept the asterix the same way they accept an achievement not having a date stamp. One of those "it comes with the territory" sort of things. Not only that, but if the idea is to label someone, how much digging do you think people actually do into people's gamertag?

Finally, if you didn't actually accomplish anything besides unlocking the achievement, why would you want it in the first place? Yeah, there are easy games like Avatar, but at least you have accomplished the 50 hit combo to unlock the achievement. You didn't actually do what was required for the achievement if you just spent MSP on it. If you did absolutely nothing to get it, is it even worth having in the first place? Yes, there are "thank you for buying the game achievements," but with those, that is the whole point, either setting up atmosphere (Prince of Persia), a joke (the Simpsons) or just a simple reward (Chime). None of these are "ran out the clock*," and were never intended to be as such. There are other sources of gamerscore out there, why are people dwelling on the small portion that they can't have?
You are 100% right with this.

For me personally, Achievements are a personal thing. I could not care less about anyone elses, except maybe my friends when I compare them.

I think about this the same way I think about cheating. If you cheat then you are only cheating yourself. No one else might know but the cheater would, deep down inside they know they did not have the skill or effort to achieve an achievement that others have done properly.

The only achievements I would accept for free with a mark on them is the unobtainable ones, only because when I look at my own achievement list and see these achievements I cannot get no matter what, it kind of annoys me. I know I have the skill to get them but I can't even try. But I honestly would not accept them unless they had a mark on them because I don't think its fair on the people that did unlock them with skill. However, I would NEVER EVER EVER pay money for any achievement, ever.

All in All I really do not care that much about any of this, I can live with never being able to get certain achievements. After all they are only Achievements.

Just playing Devils Advocate ;)

Giptuc
07-17-2011, 12:34 PM
There is ONE achievement i would pay to unlock...

The 10th prestige achievement in Call of Duty world at war... Its the only cod game ill never (truly) 100% because i dont want to waste all that time online

Knoll 755
07-17-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm against it as well......what's the point of achievements if you can buy them?

KeepEmRolling
07-17-2011, 03:56 PM
No, I wouldn't pay any amount to unlock an achievement. I don't care about completion though.

ShadowOfFateBay
07-17-2011, 04:32 PM
i wouldnt it would just seem to take away the point to the achievments

punker
07-17-2011, 04:36 PM
I am sorry but I still fail to see the reason as to why a games servers closing is the customers fault? If I go to a store, buy a game and on the back of that game it says ONLINE MULTIPLAYER my first thought is that this game has ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. When I get home and try to play it online and I can't because of a server closure that pisses me off. I feel like I have only paid for half a game and that is not just talking about achievements. I do not have money to buy every game I like when it first comes out, as in Australia newly released games can cost upward of $100.

Obviously not everyone can afford to buy a ton of new games, but when you purchase something used, you can't expect the same level of quality as if it were brand new... and that goes with anything, not just video games. If someone goes out and picks up Madden 08 from Gamestop for $3, it would be silly of them to think they were going to have the same online experience as I did when I got the game for $60 in August of 2007. And that's the sacrifice that goes hand in hand with getting it like that-- wait for years for it to be a fraction of the original price, but you aren't going to be able to do everything within it any longer.

And I'm sorry, but if something is beyond one's financial means, then they're gonna have to live without it... that's just how the world works. I can't buy a coach ticket, and then complain to the airline saying, "Well, it's not MY fault I can't afford first class, you should give it to me anyhow!"

KryptoAcid
07-17-2011, 05:17 PM
No, i like the challenge. and when i can't get one it reminds me how tough some achievements are to get.

BluWolve
07-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Obviously not everyone can afford to buy a ton of new games, but when you purchase something used, you can't expect the same level of quality as if it were brand new... and that goes with anything, not just video games. If someone goes out and picks up Madden 08 from Gamestop for $3, it would be silly of them to think they were going to have the same online experience as I did when I got the game for $60 in August of 2007. And that's the sacrifice that goes hand in hand with getting it like that-- wait for years for it to be a fraction of the original price, but you aren't going to be able to do everything within it any longer.

And I'm sorry, but if something is beyond one's financial means, then they're gonna have to live without it... that's just how the world works. I can't buy a coach ticket, and then complain to the airline saying, "Well, it's not MY fault I can't afford first class, you should give it to me anyhow!"

I understand what you are saying, but First off let me just point out I never buy pre-owned games.

Also your analogy does not really fit the situation. I am not 'complaining' that I can not afford to buy a second class ticket so I should be given a first class ticket for free. I am still buying the first class ticket but I am just waiting until the price drops a little. Maybe a sale comes on or something, who knows, but I am still getting first class.

Are you saying that if I wait to buy a first class ticket then I will not get as much in my first class package? Of course not. I will still get the same as someone who bought their ticket for double the price 6 months earlier and it should be the same with games.

I can understand if the graphics or gameplay are out-dated on a game I chose to wait for. But not the multiplayer aspect to be completely gone, since multiplayer is a major selling point on some games. Hell I can even live without multiplayer on a game because I waited too long to buy it, but this discussion is about the achievements.

IMO If they are going to have multiplayer achievements then they should keep the multiplayer servers running (which would be ridiculously expensive I know), or at least P2P so they are always obtainable. Otherwise bring out some other sort of idea that makes those Achievements always obtainable, or don't bring out the game with Multiplayer Achievements.

I know things will never change though and I will say once again I am not really that fussed about this whole situation at all. I will still continue to buy the games I want regardless of Achievements because I play games for fun, not solely for Achievements.

skatemore
07-17-2011, 10:23 PM
I understand what you are saying, but First off let me just point out I never buy pre-owned games.

Also your analogy does not really fit the situation. I am not 'complaining' that I can not afford to buy a second class ticket so I should be given a first class ticket for free. I am still buying the first class ticket but I am just waiting until the price drops a little. Maybe a sale comes on or something, who knows, but I am still getting first class.

Are you saying that if I wait to buy a first class ticket then I will not get as much in my first class package? Of course not. I will still get the same as someone who bought their ticket for double the price 6 months earlier and it should be the same with games.

I can understand if the graphics or gameplay are out-dated on a game I chose to wait for. But not the multiplayer aspect to be completely gone, since multiplayer is a major selling point on some games. Hell I can even live without multiplayer on a game because I waited too long to buy it, but this discussion is about the achievements.

IMO If they are going to have multiplayer achievements then they should keep the multiplayer servers running (which would be ridiculously expensive I know), or at least P2P so they are always obtainable. Otherwise bring out some other sort of idea that makes those Achievements always obtainable, or don't bring out the game with Multiplayer Achievements.

I know things will never change though and I will say once again I am not really that fussed about this whole situation at all. I will still continue to buy the games I want regardless of Achievements because I play games for fun, not solely for Achievements.

10 times out of 10 the online servers are closed down because no one is using them anyway.

BluWolve
07-17-2011, 10:44 PM

10 times out of 10 the online servers are closed down because no one is using them anyway.

Did you read the next sentence?
Hell I can even live without multiplayer on a game because I waited too long to buy it, but this discussion is about the achievements. I do realise what you are saying, I know It will eventually happen to ALL games. What annoys me is when a game has 40% of achievements only obtainable through online play, then the servers get shutdown.

KFZ Scrubs
07-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Are you kidding me? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!?
Anybody who agrees with this or even sees this as a good idea is a freaking tard.
That' takes everything out of the word achievement. What's the freaking point of paying MSP to do it for you? What did you achieve?
If they ever do this, I hope they put a bitch symbol next to the achievement so everyone who looks at your game knows what a little bitch you are for having somebody do it for you.

TVthePunisher
07-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Are you kidding me? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!?
Anybody who agrees with this or even sees this as a good idea is a freaking tard.
That' takes everything out of the word achievement. What's the freaking point of paying MSP to do it for you? What did you achieve?
If they ever do this, I hope they put a bitch symbol next to the achievement so everyone who looks at your game knows what a little bitch you are for having somebody do it for you.

A little rough...but...okay =) anyways, my original view on this has changed. After looking it over enough I see just how much of a problem it would actually be in the long run for various reasons so...;>__> yeah. Though I would like to throw something else out in it's place...

Have you ever had the temptation to want something like this for a difficult achievement? Or maybe you could get a "freebie" wish to use on only 5 achievements every year. I'm not saying IMPLIMENT THIS, but we're all dreamers...is there any achievement you'd just like to unlock that has escaped you for so long?

Foxxy kyle
07-17-2011, 11:14 PM
I would never do it, Because then you cant say that you actually achieved that certain achievement if all you did was pay for it.

BluWolve
07-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Have you ever had the temptation to want something like this for a difficult achievement? Or maybe you could get a "freebie" wish to use on only 5 achievements every year. I'm not saying IMPLIMENT THIS, but we're all dreamers...is there any achievement you'd just like to unlock that has escaped you for so long?
Sorry TV, still have to say no, I have never nor will I ever have the temptation to get an achievement without actually achieveing it. For the same reasons I wouldn't pay for them.

Except maybe if there was no other option like unobtainable achievements, but lets not go down that road again....

fifty2ford
07-17-2011, 11:21 PM
No. that is a bad idea, they already make enough on microtransactions

DaJudgeinator
07-17-2011, 11:29 PM
I would definitely pay for achievements that "unobtainable" either through glitches (Monster Madness) or lack of planned DLC (I'm looking at you Hellboy)...just so I can say I completed the game as far as it is possible.

KFZ Scrubs
07-18-2011, 12:02 AM
A little rough...but...okay =) anyways, my original view on this has changed. After looking it over enough I see just how much of a problem it would actually be in the long run for various reasons so...;>__> yeah. Though I would like to throw something else out in it's place...

Look, sorry if I hurt your feelings or if it's too rough, but what's the point of it being called an achievement if you're looking for other ways to get it without you doing it yourself?
Is just having it good enough for you compared to earning it yourself?

‪Best Quote Out There From Scrubs‬‏ - YouTube

Nothing in this world worth having comes easy- Bob Kelso

DarkReign2021
07-18-2011, 02:24 AM
I personally find it appalling, but I know a lot of people that would be all for something like this. In that case, I think you need to be limited on how many achievements you can buy in a period. Perhaps no more than 2-3 achievements a month and exceeding no more than 250 total points a month either.

Otherwise you know people would just be looking for those games with few achievements worth a lot of points and would make their score skyrocket. The limitations would make you want to limit them to the insane ones that you simply don't want or can't get within reason.)

Honestly, though, I think all games with glitched achievements should either be patched, automatically give it to the player, or change it to a new achievement.

Same with servers being shut down. Patch them to make them available offline or automatically give them to the player.

My main concern, though, is the ability to delete achievements. I could care less about my achievement score in particular, but I do pay attention to my completion rate and it's pretty bad thanks to games like COD4 and Lost Planet, which sucked, and Chromehounds, which shut down on me before I could play it. With only 1 or 2 achievements done on them, I really wish I could be rid of them.

Fire Hawk D
07-18-2011, 05:54 AM
Americans: spending money to get what they want with little to no effort. =P

Man, why does this always seem to be the case? That'd defeat the entire purpose! If you're getting achievements for ANY reason other than to feel like you've achieved something, you're doing it wrong.

And as for the unobtainable achievements because a server closed? Tough luck, you shouldn't have tried to 100% such an old game. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to 100% a game when you buy it, and in every case the developer gives ample time to finish the game from the time they release it. If you're a late adopter, that's not really their problem.

As for glitched achievements...okay, I can understand that one, though I still don't think anyone should get a freebie. Just something you gotta deal with and go on being an unhappy, no-100% customer. =/

xxxANTNEExxx
07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
NO. The only achievements MS should unlock for a gamer are for glitched achievements with no fix.

Spanish Assault
07-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Americans: spending money to get what they want with little to no effort. =P

Man, why does this always seem to be the case? That'd defeat the entire purpose! If you're getting achievements for ANY reason other than to feel like you've achieved something, you're doing it wrong.

And as for the unobtainable achievements because a server closed? Tough luck, you shouldn't have tried to 100% such an old game. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to 100% a game when you buy it, and in every case the developer gives ample time to finish the game from the time they release it. If you're a late adopter, that's not really their problem.

As for glitched achievements...okay, I can understand that one, though I still don't think anyone should get a freebie. Just something you gotta deal with and go on being an unhappy, no-100% customer. =/
Is there a reason you felt like lumping all Americans with the OP?

I wouldn't pay any amount to delete or add GS...not sure why you had to be "that guy" who is making it out to be an "American" thing...

mjc0961
07-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Hell no, I would not pay money to unlock a little tile on my Xbox Live profile that has no meaning. The only kind of meaning achievements even have is being able to say "Yes, I completed this difficulty challenge in the game!" and have a little victory moment for yourself. If you just go and spend 800 MSP to make it magically unlock instead, you don't even have that anymore.

So no. I would never drop money just to get an achievement without fulfilling its requirements.

Americans: spending money to get what they want with little to no effort. =POh wait no. I'm American, so clearly I meant "yes let me buy my cheevos plz and then im gonna go to mickey d'z after and get 15 double cheezeburgerz cuz us americanz r all fat lazy n stupid lol". :rolleyes:

zzamaro
07-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Never. I prefer most of the times to get them in a legit way. I sometimes boost, but that's uncommon. If I can't get one, I just give up.

Paulson
07-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Completely defeats the purpose of achievements to me

Crimson Ridley
07-19-2011, 10:08 AM
So, let me get this straight;

Instead of working hard for the difficult achievements, you would accept your complete lack of skill and buy the achievement? This would make the achievement system null and void, as there would no point even trying to do something when someone else will just come along and buy the most difficult achievement in the game.

So in effect you're asking us; Would you eliminate all element of entertainment; all concept of skill; prove that humanity is just getting more laid back and lazy; negate the achievement system; ruin many peoples years of hard work, all to unlock 7 Day Survivor? My answer would be no, thank you. If I'd like to unlock 7 Day Survivor, I'll just do it the right way and actually put some effort in to it.

Corrupt.
07-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Maybe but only for games with closed servers and stuff...

KIRBER
07-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Absolutely not. The whole idea is to earn the achievements not pay for them.

Opiate42
07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
NO. The only achievements MS should unlock for a gamer are for glitched achievements with no fix.

Not really, not even then. I'd say keep them as is to be glaring examples to the devs to make their achievement programming better.

OT: I wouldn't pay.

MakoBallistic
07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
In a word... no. It would be the definition of pointless.

oO CurrY Oo
07-19-2011, 05:30 PM
You're already paying for achievements its called games and DLC.

Maka
07-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Stupidest. Idea. Ever.

Even for games that have close online servers. And giving them away for free is dumb too. Yes, you are a completionist, but does anyone care? No. Ever thought that a requirement of getting an online achievement involves playing online? You may not like them, but developers aren't going to make 100% single player achievements if they think they made a fantastic multiplayer game just because some people don't like them. If you don't want to do them, how about not doing them?

GrimSovereignty
07-19-2011, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't, achievements are awesome...but im not paying any more than I have to for them, already got to buy DLC just to 100% most games.

Skullraider
07-19-2011, 08:57 PM
I also would never pay MS just to cheat to get achievements..there something that is suppose to be earned so its not a good idea.

niko da bos
07-19-2011, 09:08 PM
wtf, i barely spend M$ on themes or DLC.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads5/bad_thread1114274682.jpg

Gor1lla
07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Nope, because its ACHIEVEment :D Even though you have to paly for 14 hours straight. Also it's possible to unlock them with some PC(?) tools

General Dan S
07-20-2011, 12:27 PM
I would not. They already get enough of my money :/

Smokiiz
07-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I like the idea, but I would personally never use it.
Spending $60 on live, plus any sort of DLC I buy over the year earns Microsoft enough money to live buy.
Even if it was only 40MSP, it's still a pain to spend the $20 on a 1400 point card.

Crimson Ridley
07-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Nope, because its ACHIEVEment :D Even though you have to paly for 14 hours straight. Also it's possible to unlock them with some PC(?) tools

Shuuuuuush maaaaan! That's what we call "dirty talk" 'round these parts!

yomill3
07-20-2011, 06:26 PM
absolutely not. Persisting through the long boring achievements is what makes games fun.

TVthePunisher
07-20-2011, 08:05 PM
I edited the original post, which is now in quotations, with my current thoughts outside of the quote box. Fighting through Kinectimals with my ankle bitching at me every second of the way from tensing and painful cracking (I twisted it something fierce two months ago and it STILL is messed up. I can't even run on the damn thing) has made me proud of everything I've accomplished in the game thus far. Sure it might not matter to many because it's Kinectimals but I'm proud of the difficult challenges I did take on (such as Flower Power and completed it with over 53,000 points compared to the 40K required to beat it) and the 10 remaining contests plus 11 achievements I have yet to go. This honestly is the cheap way out...and not even I would take it now, because I wouldn't have something to look back on and say "I worked for that son of a bitch...", rather "I'm regretting not unlocking it the right way...". So yeah, the original post is for people to comment on the idea..but I'm not paying for achievements, if the option ever comes to light. I'm proud of my accomplishments...and I'm not f'n it up with the cheapway out.

MxPx
07-20-2011, 09:42 PM
I edited the original post, which is now in quotations, with my current thoughts outside of the quote box. Fighting through Kinectimals with my ankle bitching at me every second of the way from tensing and painful cracking (I twisted it something fierce two months ago and it STILL is messed up. I can't even run on the damn thing) has made me proud of everything I've accomplished in the game thus far. Sure it might not matter to many because it's Kinectimals but I'm proud of the difficult challenges I did take on (such as Flower Power and completed it with over 53,000 points compared to the 40K required to beat it) and the 10 remaining contests plus 11 achievements I have yet to go. This honestly is the cheap way out...and not even I would take it now, because I wouldn't have something to look back on and say "I worked for that son of a bitch...", rather "I'm regretting not unlocking it the right way...". So yeah, the original post is for people to comment on the idea..but I'm not paying for achievements, if the option ever comes to light. I'm proud of my accomplishments...and I'm not f'n it up with the cheapway out.

Its just a video game, bro. Don't injure yourself! lol

Zaft
07-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Absolutely not. Allowing people to purchase achievements goes completely against the point of achievements in the first place, which is to show that you're willing to put out the time and effort in order to complete some silly/difficult/ridiculous/etc task.

Spanish Assault
07-20-2011, 11:35 PM
shame on you....not cool at all.

l355th4n3
07-20-2011, 11:51 PM
i wouldn't pay to buy achievements seems pathetic supposed to be a personal goal but.... i would how ever pay to remove games/achievements from my list, ones that my friend decided to play on my console without consulting me and getting ONE achievement!

Would gladly pay 800msp to remove maybe 5 games from your list?

MxPx
07-21-2011, 12:14 AM
wtf, i barely spend M$ on themes or DLC.

I'll get DLC, but never themes/pictures/avatar clothing...thats all just a waste of money/HDD space, imo.

Trephined
07-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Since one of the more enjoyable experiences while playing games on 360 is earning achievements, being able to purchasing them would take some of the fun out of gaming for me.

dirge
07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
No. The minute they do that they stop being achievements as you haven't really achieved anything.

kaseywc98
07-23-2011, 04:17 AM
Maybe Online achievements because i forgot my password (Lucky Me.:() But, other than that, it's what makes the game fun. Oh, and it gives you bragging rights!

BRIGHTEE
07-23-2011, 10:48 AM
No way, not a chance in hell.

TommyTranemyr
07-23-2011, 01:28 PM
I would never pay for achievement, I losses the purpose of the achievement, You want to have achieved it by yourself.!

chelseaman99
07-23-2011, 09:45 PM
No.

Why?

The clues in the word 'achievement'.

DrStreve
07-24-2011, 04:35 PM
would kind of make it pointless calling it an achievement

veece16
07-24-2011, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't, that would ruin the entire point of having a gamerscore or calling an achievement an achievement.

Mercury
07-24-2011, 05:33 PM
I can suck Microsoft's dick AND get something with no actual effort or skill required?

Sign me up!

LMAO holy shit I actually guffawed there for a while. That's incredible. Annnyways...

I think that would be lame as hell. I am proud of my GS, and knowing that my buddy who is rich and sucks at obtaining achievements could just buy his way to a higher gamerscore doesn't sit well with me. I have a good amount of games that just need one or two more achievements, but just being able to pay for them would ruin the fun of busting your ass to get that last achievement and feeling like a champ for... an hour or so? Lol.

Lemonlimes249
07-24-2011, 09:56 PM
MS would make TONS of money if that happened, but I think it defeats the purpose. So I would say no.:rant:

bcrofts1
07-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Would not pay for achievements but would pay to have games that I have only a few points on and will never play again removed from gamer tag.

Coadster1
07-26-2011, 12:30 AM
I don't think I would, it defeats the whole purpose of an achievement. The only reason I might pay them, if for glitched ones, or ones with servers shut down.

would pay to have games that I have only a few points on and will never play again removed from gamer tag.

Yeah, I would do that do.

G0DsDestroyer
07-26-2011, 04:22 AM
Only thing I'd actually pay for achievement wise is to get rid of achievements. I had a friend who played on my profile with a couple games and got 1 or 2 achievements on each game, I didn't achieve them and i dont have the games and dont ever plan on getting them. All it does is make my Gamerscore look worse because it's saying i can get 2000 more than really can. Now that i would pay for, but not too much of course!

SonicRayvan
10-30-2011, 04:53 PM
not for me, achievements aint worth paying for

Staticman 9
10-30-2011, 05:01 PM
They're called "achievements" for a reason.

shootmeup
10-30-2011, 05:46 PM
short answer. no. long answer NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CONKER1182
10-30-2011, 10:40 PM
I would pay them to unlock glitched or discontinued achievements maybe.

ZacAttack159357
10-30-2011, 11:20 PM
I would only buy if I earned it but it did not unlock then (a glitch I had no control over but did legitimately unlock).
Would not pay for achievements but would pay to have games that I have only a few points on and will never play again removed from gamer tag.
Game Room nuff said.

TVthePunisher
10-31-2011, 12:00 AM
Since I saw the topic was resurrected, I'd like to be able to remove games (such as Dark Sector, which I have no desire to play...but I don't like looking at what is it...10/1000 on the game?) and hell might even pay a small fee just to get the achievements off. I don't think that would be TOO bad, but I guess I'll just have to end up getting the game again, whether I like it or not...

ZacAttack159357
10-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Since I saw the topic was resurrected, I'd like to be able to remove games (such as Dark Sector, which I have no desire to play...but I don't like looking at what is it...10/1000 on the game?) and hell might even pay a small fee just to get the achievements off. I don't think that would be TOO bad, but I guess I'll just have to end up getting the game again, whether I like it or not...
Dark sector isn't too bad, I would be missing only 4 achievements if I didn't try to beat brutal and not use any enhancements (forgot what they are called) I got stuck on the stalker :/.
But you should seriously try it, it is a pretty good single player game.

cjdavies
10-31-2011, 07:01 AM
No, that is way worse than time consuming achivements IMO.

rusty_nzl
10-31-2011, 07:40 AM
No way. It totally defeats the point.
I hate the achievements that I get for managing to put the disc into the xbox the right way up and pushing a button.

TriRock
10-31-2011, 05:58 PM
It's enough that I pay for the games, I'll handle the achievement unlocking myself.

Preykousis
10-31-2011, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't pay to unlock because like others said, what's the point in that?

However, I would pay to be able to delete games from my list that I played years ago, played for 5 minutes, got an achievement or two, then never touched it again. Now I care more about my profile (OCD lol) so would love to be able to remove them. Right now I'm in the progress of getting some old games back and finishing them but it's a pain in the ass when you've played 269 games :(

macgyver893
10-31-2011, 09:57 PM
I think paying for them defeats their purpose. There's something fun about hard and nearly unattainable achievements. It adds to the grandeur of the achievement hunting process. I would never do it but I can see why some people would want to.

I would like to see an option for removing games though. I don't think that should have to be paid for but it should be as easy as the "Remove from gaming history" option for games that have 0 achievement points. It should force you to reset you console and that would be it.

Skilled
11-01-2011, 08:20 AM
No. Achievement means achieving something, spending money isn't an achievement.

MILLER 510
11-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Wouldn't do it period. It just sounds wrong

Akuza
11-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Why would you?

You play for fun.. You don't play for personal gain..

ooo0ooooooo0ooo
11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Absolutely not. That would give me no sense of accomplishment whatsoever and thats the biggest reason I go for GS. That and extra replay value.

niko da bos
11-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Absolutely not. That would give me no sense of accomplishment whatsoever and thats the biggest reason I go for GS. That and extra replay value.

well said, i dont know if i could spend my real-life cash on virtual gamerscore that really doesnt matter. i have a hard enough time spending MSP on arcade games, i couldnt bring myself to spend money on a achievement.
^^
even if it was a a little bastard and costed me 100+ tries and 1 favorite controller, i wouldnt dare spent MSP to unlock "mile high club." i would just feel like i wasted all that time of my life, whereas if i finish it legit i will probably treat myself to booz and a fancy dinner;)

wizknocker
11-02-2011, 01:07 AM
no. that would be a scammy, scummy, crummy thing to do.

DragonsGoMOO
11-02-2011, 01:11 AM
No. Waste of money. Doesn't encourage me to get more out of my game.

softerxsin495
11-02-2011, 01:14 AM
I personally would never pay to get an achievement. I enjoy getting achievements for actually achieving something! *gasp*! I know!

Sure, there are some games that bug me because servers had been shut down, and I was unaware of that prior to purchasing the game, and some games just have some tedious achievements, some have really hard ones! But, it's all about taking the time and dedication to work towards achieving something, that you can finally say to yourself "man! I finally did it!" and feel good. I enjoy that feeling, and I wouldn't pay to unlock an achievement just because im generally a completionist about things... I'll control my OCD, and settle for the victorious feeling.

BIGbivvie
11-02-2011, 01:27 AM
More time consuming achievement = A greater sense of achievement when you unlock it.

DecadentBeaver
11-02-2011, 12:33 PM
It defeats the whole point of the system, but I would support it for glitched achievements or achievements that are no longer obtainable due to server closures or events that are no longer being run.

That should be the only reason to buy them. Some completionists ocd must be going haywire at EA games haha. But otherwise, unlock them all yourself. That's why they are achievements. I have some that I or my girlfriend have unlocked that we are well proud of. Like a cluster of 3 black pearls on Hexic. (Her achievement). Which has taken 4 months to finally get and we are well happy. Even if I don't get all in a game. I can say I have done it. Or her.

Spanish Assault
11-02-2011, 12:46 PM
It's safe to say 99.99999% of the members of this site WOULD NOT PAY to unlock achievements. Now who do i pay to lock this thread?

Maka
11-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I've voiced my opinion on this in the old thread. Probably the most stupid idea I've ever heard. It almost defies common sense to me, that someone would pay money directly to unlock the achievements, as it completely kills the point of achievements in its entirety.

Yes, certain games let you buy certain DLC to make achievements ridiculously easy, but you still own the game, and in the end achieve the requirements of the achievement.

Gamerscore would also become a competition as to who could spend the most money, more so than it already is.

JuSt BLaZe
11-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah sure why not but I guess it would end in all the riches having a nonstop 100% completion rate!

Also if any do so it should have a BIG NOTE next to the achievement value, that this member has paid for this certain achievement or earned it with MSP.

CovertDog
11-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Now who do i pay to lock this thread?

I take payment through PayPal.:p