PDA

View Full Version : Games on Demand Prices...why more expensive than retail?

TVthePunisher
07-16-2011, 05:57 AM
I'm just wondering this, I was flipping through the GoD lineup and checked up on some games like Halo 3, Fallout 3, Oblivion...I noticed a trend that they're all $29.99. This is a bit shocking because retail-wise all these games are in the Bargain areas at almost every store (Walmart, Target, Best Buy) for $19.99 or Less. Why is there an extra $10 charged for buying this GoD?

I don't have a big enough HDD to buy anything on demand, really...except maybe one Xbox Original game or something (I could use a Flashdrive but anyways...) but when I can I might like to look into using the service...I just don't understand the pricing. Anyone want to clarify why they charge more than anywhere else for games that are pretty much "Platinum" editioned?

Ancient
07-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Cuz they greedy as hell, they probably want the extra 10 as a convenience fee.-.-;

Neverender
07-16-2011, 06:04 AM
They probably see it as a premium for convenience and a fee to maintain whatever server they're using to host the massive amounts of data. I personally just see it as another reason not to buy non-arcade/indie games on demand.

otaking live
07-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Number one reason why I do not have a psp go and will not be getting the new psp either. GoD should be much cheaper as they do not have to print a manual, disk, package, etc.

hydrosugar
07-16-2011, 06:36 AM
well when you buy a game at a store, the retailer is gamestop or whatever it is. Sure, they're greedy. But when you use GoD, the retailer is M$, the king of greed and scamming.

Ancient
07-16-2011, 06:38 AM
well when you buy a game at a store, the retailer is gamestop or whatever it is. Sure, they're greedy. But when you use GoD, the retailer is M$, the king of greed and scamming.

+1 hydro lol

Kryptonie360
07-16-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm guessing that when a game is bought in a shop the developer gets all the money and microsoft take a small cut. When ur buying from Microsoft they wanna make more money hence the extra $10 in the UK Fallout New Vegas is 19.99 GOD and 17.99 in GAME new but 7.99 preowned!

Theres the other problem these games have no resale value!

FRANKSEY
07-16-2011, 09:30 AM
lol on the aus marketplace there are games for $100.

the cheapest game on our market place is $30, and that for 2005/6 released games.

also consider the au $ is stronger than the u.s, thats how much we get ripped off.

Bleeding Star
07-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Not all prices are more expensive

Sacred 2 is 14.99 to buy off GoD, its around 30 preowned on Amazon

chelseaman99
07-16-2011, 10:24 AM
The fact is that it's still about half-price off the RRP, so if there are some newbies running around they may be conned into thinking their getting a good deal. And Microsoft are greedy twats anyway.

Mister Spraggsy
07-16-2011, 10:41 AM
The fact is that it's still about half-price off the RRP, so if there are some newbies running around they may be conned into thinking their getting a good deal. And Microsoft are greedy twats anyway.

You confuse me, your name is Chelseaman your sig has a picture of Wayne Rooney and your profile pic is the Stevenage FC badge. By the way im from Stevenage.

Anywho on topic, some of the games are expensive but I just asumed thats because Microsoft want a cut of the profits.

hydrosugar
07-16-2011, 12:58 PM
lol on the aus marketplace there are games for $100.

the cheapest game on our market place is $30, and that for 2005/6 released games.

also consider the au $ is stronger than the u.s, thats how much we get ripped off.

and don't i know it, with all the credit card info typed in and ready to go, i almost downloaded fallout 3 for a tidy $99. that was less than a year ago when even at aus rip off prices it could be bought in store for <$30. plus i have no interest in the genre or the series.

Dafy G
07-16-2011, 01:29 PM
It's the price of convenience.

CyberPunch83
07-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Microsoft charges what they think the game is valued at, given it's age and the popularity of the game. Conversely, the stores that carry these used games price the games at what they think is accurate. There is no real depreciation table for games and there never will be. Plus, Microsoft has to make xx% profit on every game sold, regardless if it's in a brick-and-mortar store or in a digital format.

StillTIPPIN187
07-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Its because MS gets a cut outta that price.

They provide the service to you.. but they sell copies of the developers game.

20 goes to the dev and 10 goes in MS pocket for doing their marketing for them and selling you the service.

Vigor
07-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Its because MS gets a cut outta that price.

They provide the service to you.. but they sell copies of the developers game.

20 goes to the dev and 10 goes in MS pocket for doing their marketing for them and selling you the service.

This.

Same goes with XBLA games, the original price is 800 where you see 1200.

TVthePunisher
07-16-2011, 06:07 PM
This.

Same goes with XBLA games, the original price is 800 where you see 1200.

So in all reality, 800 point games equal 400? I'm not sure if I'm getting the math right, cause then...400 point games would be 200...and the few rare instances where there might be a 200 point game, then it'd be worth equal to or less than 100 points?

shockwave x360a
07-16-2011, 06:09 PM
because there not used and you dont have to leave your house

otaking live
07-16-2011, 07:25 PM
because there not used and you dont have to leave your house

But I like leaving my house! Going to EB is half the fun.....and ya know....getting some sun.

DarkReign2021
07-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Unlike Videogame Hardware, which is set to price by the hardware developer (Sony, MS, Ninty), software is ultimately up to the discretion of the retailer. The suggested retail value is $60 for most games these days, but a developer is allowed to price drop based on sales figures. This allows developers to compensate for the market value of a game to ensure they turn as much of a profit as possible without being stuck with it (which is why a lot of early deals can be found offering $10 or $20 off of a new release.)

Digital download services through Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony don't scale based on market value though. They typically decrease in price based on the length of time since release. I don't know the formula used, but a game typically won't be less than $30 until it's hit 3 or 4 years. So we're just now starting to see 2007 titles get the $20 treatment if we're lucky.)

Long story short, GoD services on the home console will likely never be an affordable alternative. I would think the elimination of mass production for Discs, Cases, manuals, and man hours spent on box art and disc would count as a cost exemption for a new release (It'd be smart to take $10 off of a new release through digital services as it would encourage more online purchases and thus would help stifle the high rate of trade-ins and purchasing of used copies.) but we're not likely to see this change anytime soon. The sad thing is people are still gullible enough to buy games at these prices.

So in all reality, 800 point games equal 400? I'm not sure if I'm getting the math right, cause then...400 point games would be 200...and the few rare instances where there might be a 200 point game, then it'd be worth equal to or less than 100 points?

Your math is off. You're looking at it as 50%, or half. 800 is not half of 1200. It's 33.333%, which even so is still a bit higher than the actual intake rate of M$. But back to your issue at hand, 1200 is 800, making 400 roughly 270 or so and 400 would be 140.

This is the downside of Microsoft points. MS uses them in favor of dollar values because it's easier to trick the gamer into thinking they're not spending as much. Not only are your forced to buy in set values, but the numerical difference is an illusion-based comfort zone. Much like the reason why something is 19.95 instead of $20.00. You look at 1600 MS and it looks a helluva lot more appealing than $20. Points wise, 1600 doesn't seem like much whereas $20 does. A lot of gamers would be surprised to find how much money they really spend every year on Indie games, arcade games, and DLC alone.

DucknahEireann
07-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Short and sweet: For the almighty $$$.

my_box_72
07-16-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm just wondering this, I was flipping through the GoD lineup and checked up on some games like Halo 3, Fallout 3, Oblivion...I noticed a trend that they're all $29.99. This is a bit shocking because retail-wise all these games are in the Bargain areas at almost every store (Walmart, Target, Best Buy) for $19.99 or Less. Why is there an extra $10 charged for buying this GoD?

I don't have a big enough HDD to buy anything on demand, really...except maybe one Xbox Original game or something (I could use a Flashdrive but anyways...) but when I can I might like to look into using the service...I just don't understand the pricing. Anyone want to clarify why they charge more than anywhere else for games that are pretty much "Platinum" editioned?

I still think there should a be a day of deals on Games On Demand

Drop the prices , bargains on add on if you purchase the game of Games on Demand . Seriously speding 100$ when you can go to you retail store and pick it up for a sweet price is not worth it ..

Found a few deals on it Games of Demand at times but for all the other times is seriously overpriced ,