PDA

View Full Version : The '720' will have a graphics chip that will make games look as good as Avatar

wariowarrior
07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
That's the James Cameron film of course.

Here's the sauce

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/07/18/amd_says_xbox_720_graphics_as_good_as_avatar/

Fire Hawk D
07-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Meh, couldn't care less. Never saw what the big hubbub is about graphics. Sure, they're cool at first, but then it just becomes "normal" and you start looking for the NEXT big jump.

Still, in the evolution of our media, it'd still be pretty impressive.

dakisbac
07-18-2011, 05:10 PM
I don't really care either. Few, if any, games this generation have used all the potential of the current hardware so an upgrade isn't really necessary.

Burnout x360a
07-18-2011, 05:13 PM
They're still churning out excellent looking visuals in this generation. Though, I feel DVD is pushed a bit now.

Opiate42
07-18-2011, 06:59 PM
But will it be able to play the first Crysis? :p

Banes
07-19-2011, 01:49 AM
First thing, do we even know or even have a slightest hint that the next-gen Xbox will be titled Xbox 720?

As for the graphics. Of course it's going to be unreal. Look at the kind of gaming we have now. It's almost a gimme that next-gen is going to just blow peoples minds.

(Also, I read an article about a week ago that they've already developed technology to output a definition of 2160p. There's just nothing that can handle that yet.)

sm182
07-19-2011, 02:01 AM
As long as the gameplay is good it doesn't really matter what the graphics look like (in fact they could've stopped at GC/Xbox graphic wise and it would still be good).

Starstrukk X360A
07-19-2011, 04:54 AM
Psh.
The SNES still has better graphics. That's some high-end stuff there.

TAI JASON
07-19-2011, 07:28 AM
Which company has enough people to make such a game? Which company has enough money?

Letīs wait....new games would be cool, but i see Gears of War 4, Cod 235374 and Battlefield 35 in the future...

Vigor
07-19-2011, 07:37 AM
It's about time they would replace this outdated machine.
Get with the times, there are developers dying for a new and improved console already because they are hold back in their evolution as we speak because of the hardware limitations.

oo Pacsun oo
07-19-2011, 07:44 AM
I'm not ready for a new console just yet, hence why I'm not buying Wii U. The only way I'll purchase a new Xbox model at this point is if they abandon the 360 and all that is left is shovelware.

Vigor
07-19-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm not ready for a new console just yet, hence why I'm not buying Wii U. The only way I'll purchase a new Xbox model at this point is if they abandon the 360 and all that is left is shovelware.

In order to advance in technology, they will need to abandon the 360.
I mean they can't develop high(er)-end games for the 720 and make it compatible for the 360 at the same time, it'll be a dead end.

New console, new games, just like the Xbox turned into 360.
My only deepest wish would be blu-ray on the 720.

Unterofficer
07-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Öööö so? Last I checked visuals didn't add anything to the game except the cherry to the top.

Now if instead of this graphic upgrade they added some memory to the console, and make sure that the hardware actually works. Now that would be newsworthy.

BluWolve
07-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Which company has enough people to make such a game? Which company has enough money?

Letīs wait....new games would be cool, but i see Gears of War 4, Cod 235374 and Battlefield 35 in the future...
Don't forget Duke Nukem Forever.

OT: Just wake me up when they can plug my brain directly into my xbox and I will be impressed.

mercianix
07-19-2011, 09:18 AM
It will be nice to have better quality graphcis and we should expect a fairly large leap in quality in the next generation consoles as PC gaming is pretty far ahead of the currently aging generation, even several year old PC equivalent tech is a big improvement; Check out a Unigine DX11 Heaven benchmarks on youtube and if you look closely you can clearly see what current PC's are capable of.

That's not to say that better graphics actually mean anything or should have much effect as the gameplay is core and should remain so with any game.

I personally put graphics near the bottom of my concerns when gaming, sure they help immersion in some games but overall the gameplay matters much much more, that's probably why my more recently & commonly played games are arcade titles!

Maybe in the generation beyond we will even see "4K" resolutions as apparently that's going to be the next big thing...

TAI JASON
07-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Don't forget Duke Nukem Forever.

OT: Just wake me up when they can plug my brain directly into my xbox and I will be impressed.

Donīt understand what Duke Nukem Forever has to do with the costs of a next gen game, but well....Duke was realy expensive after all, but there were different companys involved. Some of them are now broke...so i donīt understand the point behind your post, sorry ^_^

Giptuc
07-19-2011, 09:28 AM

A microsoft published game :P.

And no where in the article does it say its confirmed... its "hinted". It may be capable of that, but its developers that will need to create an engine good enough to produce those types of graphics in a player controlled environment.. Creating a video with those types of graphics is completely different.. Crytek already has a similar engine for movies that blows the Crysis 2 engine out of the water... its getting it in a game thats hard.

aidax89
07-19-2011, 10:47 AM
They always carry on about how great the graphics will be on a next gen console but by the time they are released they are already well behind current PC graphics tech

Damian227
07-19-2011, 02:30 PM
They're still churning out excellent looking visuals in this generation. Though, I feel DVD is pushed a bit now.

^^^ This... hopefully Microsoft swallow their pride and move to Blu-Ray for the next console. Because if graphics are going to be that good, imagine how many discs another LA Noire would need if on DVDs lol.

MakoBallistic
07-22-2011, 02:20 PM
If Microsoft have any sense, they should get their technicians and engineers working on something thats better than Blu-Ray for the next generation, just to give Sony and Nintendo the technologically-advanced finger.

Tatanko
07-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Why are unintelligent news sources always calling it the 720? No originality or common sense there at all.

MAXout
07-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Meh, couldn't care less. Never saw what the big hubbub is about graphics. Sure, they're cool at first, but then it just becomes "normal" and you start looking for the NEXT big jump.

That's usually the point. But this happens with everything. You buy a new computer then a couple of months down the track there is something better. You buy a new car then they bring out new features, etc.

You can never 'win', but you can enjoy it for what it is and take a step back to realise how far we've come with technology.

emul8ter25
07-22-2011, 05:03 PM
I for one cant wait for the next generation.

Yes, the 360 can still put out some nice visuals, but its being strained.
There have been more than a few games where I was happy with the visuals but wished the game ran at a silky smooth framerate, rather than the barely adequate framerate many games struggle with.

So bring on the better graphics and smoother framerates!!!

Verdinial
07-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Not really concerned about graphics, but this isn't bad news by any means.

Gackt
07-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Better graphics would be nice but I am more concerned with having better performance out of games. Faster load times, no god damn slow down/lag, objects not appearing at distances, ect..

Spanish Assault
07-22-2011, 06:57 PM
whats wrong with my xbox...M$ just wants more money...I dont want to upgrade :(

niko da bos
07-22-2011, 07:07 PM
First thing, do we even know or even have a slightest hint that the next-gen Xbox will be titled Xbox 720?

thats what i was more interested in, 720 sounds kind of lame in my opinion. as long as we get to keep the same controller i am fine, my hands are molded to the form ;)

MxPx
07-22-2011, 07:11 PM
They always carry on about how great the graphics will be on a next gen console but by the time they are released they are already well behind current PC graphics tech

That's because PC is constantly evolving. Consoles evolve in leaps.

Sampson
07-22-2011, 07:14 PM
The graphics already are really good. I honestly don't care about graphics... I care more about the gameplay, plot, and characters.
The Xbox720.... such an uncreative name -_-

AtomicAgeZombie
07-22-2011, 07:23 PM
The 720 tag is just a placeholder (I hope) before the new system actually gets released. When you read "Xbox 720", you know that someone is talking about the follow up to the 360. Anyway, I think the next console will not be disc based, unless internet providers keep their bandwidth caps. Then there will have to be physical media. I can't wait to see what comes out next.

Mercury
07-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Why are unintelligent news sources always calling it the 720? No originality or common sense there at all.

Its not "unintelligent news sources" its the people who are making the damn thing. Xbox Magazine last month had a panel of people (most of whom worked on/ are working on the 360/720 respectively) and over half of them said 720. With that said though, it is pretty unoriginal.

CyberPunch83
07-22-2011, 09:14 PM
I want to think saying 720 is a placeholder, because they don't want to give away the name of the next console before they even have spy shots out. However, whatever it is called, it will have physical media capabilities. Digital download works great for DLC and for XBLA and Games on Demand, but putting everything up for download is too much. We'd waste all our money on MS point cards that still screw everyone in every region with every currency.

katesith
07-22-2011, 09:22 PM
I first would rather see a link that proved that their new console is called the "720".

But graphics as good as Avatar? I'm sorry but I wasn't truly impressed by it. I find it impressive if they could all have graphics like Battlefield3 running at 60fps instead of 30.

Stewart
08-02-2011, 01:33 PM
I actually cant wait until the 720 comes out, i'll definitely have to pre order my one when its available ;)

hypervice90
01-31-2013, 12:36 AM
cant wait till the 720 comes out like, reckon its going to blow people away:uzi:

Rivercurse
01-31-2013, 12:43 AM
A 2 year old thread to say that?!

Gackt
01-31-2013, 01:36 AM
cant wait till the 720 comes out like, reckon its going to blow people away:uzi:

The new xbox will be good, but it won't be blowing people away lol.

BiggD
01-31-2013, 02:01 AM
Better graphics would be nice but I am more concerned with having better performance out of games. Faster load times, no god damn slow down/lag, objects not appearing at distances, ect..

Agreed. I never understood why people care about graphics so much.

As long as the game runs smoothly and has a good Story/Multiplayer, I'm sold.

Shiftie
01-31-2013, 02:12 AM
I want to see huge draw distances on games.. less invisible walls and crap. As long as the graphics don't make me sick, that on top of what Gackt said.

Mr Snict
01-31-2013, 08:53 AM
To be quite honest, I have no interest with the Graphical power. All I wanted is a higher FSP, unfortunaly, they have already confirmed that it will only be 30 fps.

iBuzz7S
01-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Agreed. I never understood why people care about graphics so much.
It's because graphics make a game. Durr! /sarcasm

Gackt
01-31-2013, 03:01 PM
To be quite honest, I have no interest with the Graphical power. All I wanted is a higher FSP, unfortunaly, they have already confirmed that it will only be 30 fps.

If you want high fps gaming you'll need to switch to PC gaming. I'm a little disappointed that most games will remain at 30fps even on the next gen consoles.

DarnedCargo
01-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Fuck graphics aslong as they aren't worse than minecraft. I want a min of 1TB memory.

Gackt
01-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Fuck graphics aslong as they aren't worse than minecraft. I want a min of 1TB memory.

Minecraft doesn't have bad graphics.

Burnout x360a
01-31-2013, 03:24 PM

I love how that's the game people seem to mention nowadays when they think of 'bad graphics' :p

Carrion
01-31-2013, 03:34 PM
The 720 tag is just a placeholder (I hope) before the new system actually gets released. When you read "Xbox 720", you know that someone is talking about the follow up to the 360. Anyway, I think the next console will not be disc based, unless internet providers keep their bandwidth caps. Then there will have to be physical media. I can't wait to see what comes out next.

Well, considering the 360 launched in more countries than it had Live support in I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Maybe in the ninth console generation or the one after they'll have a download only system, but I don't see it happening in the either gen.

Tatanko
01-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Anybody who hasn't played it can't seem to grasp that concept.

ChickinOnaChain
01-31-2013, 04:20 PM

A 2 year old thread to say that?!
Got to get the first 5 posts. I just wonder why it's usually new people who revive old threads?

If it's not called the 720, I'm not getting it.

BiggD
01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
It's because graphics make a game. Durr! /sarcasm

And that is exactly what my elitist, PC-loving co-workers would say :p

Cann0nSen5ei
01-31-2013, 07:34 PM
I think I started a thread about graphics before...

NOBODY REVIVE IT.

I don't care what kind of techno marbles will be in the next console but it'd better be an easy platform for Developers to work on.
Wasn't there a rumor that it had a bunch of PC grade tech a while ago?

Vindicator51
01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
It's impossible for it to look as good as Avatar. That is, if you actually want some gameplay to go with it. Rendering Avatar alone took a hell of a long time to do.

Pyrochaos
01-31-2013, 08:11 PM
It will look as good as Avatar? Blue side boob, ponytail sex and all?

Tyrion619
01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Please don't ever compare it to Avatar again. That movie was complete shit.

Anyway, like most others have said, I give less than a fuck about the graphics. Just make good games. Fuck all the window dressing crap.

MC B0B x360a
02-01-2013, 12:10 AM
The graphics already are really good. I honestly don't care about graphics... I care more about the gameplay, plot, and characters.
The Xbox720.... such an uncreative name -_-

The only problem is we are now restricted on graphics and most of the games have crappy gameplay, plot, and characters. At least with the next gen we will get good graphics along with crappy gameplay, plot, and characters. I have been getting so tired of console gaming that I am building my first ever pc in two months.

I think I started a thread about graphics before...

NOBODY REVIVE IT.

I don't care what kind of techno marbles will be in the next console but it'd better be an easy platform for Developers to work on.

Yeah it supposed to have computer tech that would be in the most basic of crap gaming rigs. It is understandable when you consider the price point. Part of me wished they would just up a system to $1,000 and actually make a console that can compete with a pc. That would take away devs excuses that they are hardware limited. The huge downside is this makes it unaffordable for many people. Instead of making console packages based on harddrive side, they should have a basic $500, and a premium $1,000 package. The $1000 package would have semi premium components. For $1000 you can make a pretty nice computer, and I am sure M$ can make it cheap when ordering millions of components at one time.

Gageamatron
02-01-2013, 12:58 AM

Um exactly who "confirmed" that the next console will be only 30 fps? First of all that makes no sense, any game can run differently depending on how it uses the hardware. Every CoD runs at 60 fps while sacrificing texture quality among other things.

Akuza
02-01-2013, 01:49 AM

This.

It's impressive, for a short lived while.

Gackt
02-01-2013, 02:16 AM
Um exactly who "confirmed" that the next console will be only 30 fps? First of all that makes no sense, any game can run differently depending on how it uses the hardware. Every CoD runs at 60 fps while sacrificing texture quality among other things.

John Carmack from id software said most games would still be running only at 30fps on the next gen consoles.

Gageamatron
02-01-2013, 05:24 AM
John Carmack from id software said most games would still be running only at 30fps on the next gen consoles.

So he takes a quote from id software and decides the next console is only 30 fps...hmm

Cann0nSen5ei
02-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Yeah it supposed to have computer tech that would be in the most basic of crap gaming rigs. It is understandable when you consider the price point. Part of me wished they would just up a system to $1,000 and actually make a console that can compete with a pc. That would take away devs excuses that they are hardware limited. The huge downside is this makes it unaffordable for many people. Instead of making console packages based on harddrive side, they should have a basic $500, and a premium $1,000 package. The $1000 package would have semi premium components. For $1000 you can make a pretty nice computer, and I am sure M$ can make it cheap when ordering millions of components at one time.

What baffles me is why Microsoft doesn't make Consoles upgradeable, in the putting new marbles in your system sense. Doing a DIY upgrade would obviously void any sort of warranty so customers could either send them in with an upgrade request or custom-order a console that can actually play computing-intensive games smoothly, like Crysis(1). The downsides to this are the costs of manufacturing (they could just buy high-end stuff in bulk) and risk of losing products through mail.

Felonious Monk
02-01-2013, 08:06 AM
So far as upgrades, they could go the route Nintendo did with the N64 with the expansion pak.

Honestly I wish no one would do that, though. Build for the future, hang in there for 5-7 years.

H2O
02-01-2013, 08:35 AM
What baffles me is why Microsoft doesn't make Consoles upgradeable, in the putting new marbles in your system sense. Doing a DIY upgrade would obviously void any sort of warranty so customers could either send them in with an upgrade request or custom-order a console that can actually play computing-intensive games smoothly, like Crysis(1). The downsides to this are the costs of manufacturing (they could just buy high-end stuff in bulk) and risk of losing products through mail.

Um... consoles work so well because they're a unified single spec platform.

If you want upgradable hardware you go with PC gaming. Consoles are for easy no hassle fun.

Burnout x360a
02-01-2013, 09:28 AM

Yes, it was rumoured to be a Radeon 6670 lol, which is almost two years obsolete..

Burnout x360a
02-01-2013, 02:03 PM
I don't really care either. Few, if any, games this generation have used all the potential of the current hardware so an upgrade isn't really necessary.

Are you kidding me, granted the advantage a console has is optimisation in that the hardware is all the same but come on now be realistic, how much more can you push 7 year old tech without sacrifices?

Gackt
02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
So he takes a quote from id software and decides the next console is only 30 fps...hmm

It's John Carmack, doesn't strike me as a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about. Im sure some games will run at 60fps like a few on 360 do...but from what he said it seems like for the most part 30 will still be the norm.

DarkReign2021
02-05-2013, 03:14 AM
Personally, I don't care about the graphics hike. I see games like Halo 4 and Mass Effect 3 and I'm perfectly happy with the graphic quality that we have already. The Xbox 360 is ready for it's next console because the DVD is on its last leg and the processor is pushed for a lot of the bigger titles that come out for it. Being able to generate larger worlds with more accessible properties and less individual cells (eliminate the need for loadscreens between cities and homes in games like Elder Scrolls and more accessible property in GTA) is the biggest push forward that games can take. I imagine more games next generation will be focusing on pushing the Sandbox and semi-sandbox approach.