PDA

View Full Version : generic 250gb hdd

isual
07-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Hey guys,

I saw a couple on ebay for about 50-55 bucks USD. Was wondering if they are good and dependable. Really want to upgrade my 20gb from 2007. thanks

EmporerDragon
07-19-2011, 02:49 AM
No. Stick with official hard drives. They may be more costly, but they are far more reliable.

isual
07-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Thanks for your input, although I have been googling and found out that these generic drives cannot run original xbox games. I am fine with that as long as I can play my current 360 games.

I would appreciate if more folks gave more insight on this matter. thanks.

Neverender
07-19-2011, 03:41 AM
The problem with generic HDDs is that they're just not up to the same quality standards as officially licensed ones, and there's pretty good chance that the parts the generic HDD uses weren't made for a 360 (for example. a lot of the generic HDDs I've heard of are just modified computer hard drives stuffed into a 360 HDD shell, which could cause all kinds of software and compatibility problems).

I think the generic HDD would work, but your saved files would be more likely to be corrupt, and your HDD would have a higher chance of freezing or crashing. The official one is by far safer for your files since it's made especially for a Xbox 360.

Note that this advice isn't from firsthand experience, though... I've always used an official HDD I got at Gamestop with my 360. They're just generalizations from my (admittedly limited) knowledge of software and operating systems.

BML99
07-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Would not recommend it.

xxJUSTINxx
07-19-2011, 07:37 AM
LOL at the people thinking the XB360 uses a different HDD than a computer. The XB360 uses a simple cheap laptop HDD with modified firmware that Microsoft LOVES to over price just like any other sh!t they sell. Since you already know the draw back from a generic HDD, that being no XBox Original support(Who really cares). They are fine to use, make sure you at least buy it from someone trusted just like any other online buying. And no, you will not be banned for using a generic HDD.

It's just like the PS3, it uses a certain laptop HDD but the PS3 allows you to upgrade at anytime.