PDA

View Full Version : how long?

kgould01
07-20-2011, 05:49 PM
how long is this game? also is it worth the full retail price or should i wait to get it when the price drops?

Gor1lla
07-20-2011, 08:05 PM
5-8hrs, wait or rent it

daishichi
07-20-2011, 08:48 PM
I'll never understand why people are always underselling the length of games. Nothing personal Gor1lla, and I don't just mean you or just this game, but 5-8 hours? Maybe if you're trying to break a record, and what the point of that is I don't know.

I got the game yesterday and put in 3 hours last night, which got me to the start of Chapter 5 out of 18. No, I don't suck, I'm just exploring a bit to find collectibles (keeping a guide handy so not to miss anything, but not relying on it) and occasionally making an extra effort to blow things up for that achievement.

Granted, I smoke, so maybe subtract 30 mins for cigarette breaks. If 4 Chapters = 2.5 hours, I'm expecting to get 11-12 hours out of the story mode, and then there's the Challenge Rooms to play.

I'm a comic book game fan so I always buy (with coupon and trade-in, cost me $23), but I aint saying go drop $50 on it. I like it fine, it looks good and the combat is fun, but you could get it half price in a month. And even after defending the length, that still means that if you've got 6+ hours a day to play you could bang it out in two days and should rent it.

doctorsparkles
07-21-2011, 01:59 AM
I'll never understand why people are always underselling the length of games. Nothing personal Gorillaz, and I don't just mean you or just this game, but 5-8 hours? Maybe if you're trying to break a record, and what the point of that is I don't know.
I'm with Gor1lla on this one. 5 hours is a little bit extreme but I managed to finish the campaign in 6.5. The challenges, if you manage to get gold the first time through, won't take you longer than 35 minutes (not including loading screens, cut scenes, etc.). I probably logged 7.5 hours total, at most. Granted, I was playing on easy so you'll be able to squeeze more time out of it if you play on higher difficulties.

It's definitely worth a rental, but I wouldn't consider buying it at all until it drops below 15 dollars.

Gor1lla
07-21-2011, 08:22 AM
I'll never understand why people are always underselling the length of games. Nothing personal Gor1lla, and I don't just mean you or just this game, but 5-8 hours? Maybe if you're trying to break a record, and what the point of that is I don't know.

I'm okay with your opinion :D I said 5-8 because i saw two people saying they managed to get through the campaign in 5 hours; the maximum time was from the roadmap. I finished the game in under 7 hours, don't know the exact time, but most of the chapters are very short, even if you try to collect everything.

The Challenges are even easier, got 8/10 gold medals on the first try.

It's a decent game, if you don't expect a AAA title, the combat was a letdown for me, because i hoped it was as smooth as the combat in Arkham Asylum

BUZZARDIO 1080
07-21-2011, 10:34 AM
yeah i was just over 10 hour to 1000g it, but my 8 year old did the campaign for me , i just mopped up collectables and did the challenges

Cully
07-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Definitely worth a rent.

Takes 5 hours to clear, and maybe 10 hours total to get 1000g.

Once you've cleared it, there's nothing to get you to play it again... Only buy it if you have a kid who'll play a game a million times over.

My friends 6 year old loves it.

DGKALLDAYKAY
07-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Ya its only worth renting unfortunetly. It only took me maybe 10 hours to complete not sure since I got on and off it all day yesterday. But this game woudnt even be worth paying more than 20$ for it because of how fast you can complete it , its a good game just not a go out and buy game ...

Joseph0714
07-23-2011, 06:20 AM
I am glad I rented it, because I finished the campaign in like 6.5 hours and that's including collectibles, plus after I beated the story, I had to go and find the AA Guns, so yeah 6.5 with all that done it's too short, plus like 45 mins. to 1 hour for getting Gold on the challenges.

So it took me less than 8 hours to 1000G.

Only buy it if you are a fan of Captain America, or like said above, you have a kid that's going to keep playing it.

OR, if you think 37.49$ for it new is a good price, go to Amazon.

Amazon.com: Captain America: Super Soldier: Xbox 360: Video Games

:)

nelsnelson
07-23-2011, 07:06 AM
I'm a slow player and I finished everything on Normal in about 10 hours. Some of the later chapters are really short compared to the early-mid ones, and with most of the challenges I got gold on the first attempt.

Definitely rent or wait until it's under $20. It's not a bad game but once you've finished it you're not going to go back.

SWAGGART
07-23-2011, 10:55 AM
This game is gonna take longer than 5/8 hours, I think its funny, the time scales that are put on roadmaps sometimes are rediculous I would say this game is a 10/15 hour minimum for the full 1000G.

Cully
07-23-2011, 10:06 PM
This game is gonna take longer than 5/8 hours, I think its funny, the time scales that are put on roadmaps sometimes are rediculous I would say this game is a 10/15 hour minimum for the full 1000G.

My videos of my normal playthrough were something like 5hours 50 mins total.
My challenge videos were not that long. Probably less than an hour total and most were done on first attempt.

I spent about 1-2 hours running around the map in total to collect stuff.

8 hours is about how long it takes and I can back it up mostly by my video proof. (also I went by what others say on here) Of course if you don't collect stuff on your first playthrough, it'll take you longer to mop up. If you die a lot, it'll take you longer to clear, but normal is quite easy, you probably won't die very often unless you don't "get" the certain ways to kill certain bosses (like blocking on the robots and evading at certain points).

I think if I said 10-15 hours, it wouldn't be very accurate as this is probably one of the easiest games I've 1000g'd in a long time. I'm not even that great a gamer. (proof in my vids.. lol)

Aquaman6686
07-26-2011, 05:01 AM
5 hours and 20 minutes to beat the game on the hardest difficulty, on the first try, missed only 1 Ceramic Egg and 2 AA Guns. Insanely short and very easy.

justininhifi
07-26-2011, 05:42 AM
5 hours 50 minutes to finish campaign on easy. 30 minutes to mop up a few collectibles and go through the sewer doors.

45 minutes to an hour to finish the challenge maps.

brucegray666
07-26-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm on the second last chapter after playing it on and off yesterday afternoon. The 5 - 8 hour estimate for playthrough time sounds very fair. So glad I rented rather than dropping 40 on it.

doctorsparkles
07-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Many of us have save files that say otherwise. According to my stats page, I finished the game in 6.5 hours, and that was with a lot of backtracking to find collectibles, use sewer entrances, etc. And as I said before, the challenges can be completed in 35 minutes. So obviously a 7-8 hour playthrough is very, very doable.

SWAGGART
07-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Ill say again 10 to 15 hours, I didnt use a guide and found everything by myself so looking everywhere didnt miss an aa gun as I wasnt whoring like you lot 10 to 15 hours max.

doctorsparkles
07-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Ill say again 10 to 15 hours, I didnt use a guide and found everything by myself so looking everywhere didnt miss an aa gun as I wasnt whoring like you lot 10 to 15 hours max.
I also didn't use a guide, and I doubt many others did either. Aside from the odd hard-to-reach collectible here and there, what would be the point? Almost everything you need is marked on your map anyway.

And there's no reason to be snarky about it. It's great that you managed to squeeze so many more hours of play out of this game, but that certainly wasn't my experience.

brucegray666
07-26-2011, 09:10 PM

Settle petal, no need for name calling.

I got 1000/1000 earlier this afternoon. All I had to backtrack to do after my 6hr gameplay was 1 diary and 1 film reel (found the rest without a guide too, thankyouverymuch!).

Maybe your 10-15 hour play through is because you're not quite as good as the rest of us in this thread. No biigie though, no one thinks any less of you for it.

Rep
07-30-2011, 02:41 AM
My final time for completing the story was 5 hours and 12 minutes. That's not even worrying about any of the collectibles. I'd say around 10 hours for the full 1000. Not hard at all to complete.

But, it's worth a rent for sure unless you're a big Captain America geek.

Cully
07-31-2011, 12:47 AM

You can keep saying this, but there a lot of people who agree with the 8ish hours, and very little that agree with 10-15 hours.

Of course.. I'm sure it'll take someone 25 hours, but really every gamer is different. I took about 8 hours and I was going slow in order to get the details for the guide.

the action frampton
08-01-2011, 11:41 AM
5hrs 47 mons for the story (100% collectables). Spent about 20 minutes getting gold on the first 4 challenges. Unless the remaining challenges prove tricky (doubtful) then I'd say less than 7 hours at a fairly relaxed pace. It's slightly deceiving because the early chapters are a lot longer than the later ones.

HalfEVILmonkey
08-15-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm a slow player and I finished everything on Normal in about 10 hours. Some of the later chapters are really short compared to the early-mid ones, and with most of the challenges I got gold on the first attempt.

Definitely rent or wait until it's under $20. It's not a bad game but once you've finished it you're not going to go back.

Great rental, agreed. Not worth a purchase, but I hope other people play the game because it really is a very solid game overall.

lethal.b
08-15-2011, 09:43 PM

i diddn't use a guide as the collectibles appear on the map. i felt i went through the game rather slow compred to how i play other games as i checked every nook and cranny for the eggs and managed to complete the story with every collectible in 4 hours 50 mins. The challenges also only take 30 mins tops providing you dont restart any.

overall i would say the game is too short to buy but its still a decent game. deffo worth a rent. this has also got to be one of the easiest 1000g this year

HalfEVILmonkey
08-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Just got my 1000 and it took about 7 1/2 hours or so. The challenges were extremely easy once you get the counter (b button) move down on the zola bots. Great, under-appreciated game.

neeker75
08-16-2011, 09:26 AM
About 7.5 hours here too. I didn't have to mop up for collectibles because I got them all on my first run, without even using a guide. But I did spend some time searching through an area a few times before I moved on to the next one, so that added to the play time. I supposed if you use a guide, the time would be shortened.

As for the challenges, they're quite easy to get gold medals on, but you must learn how to counter, and how to time the shield to deflect bullets back to enemies. The only challenge that I had problems with is Prisoner of War, which is more like a platforming sequence thing. The first time I did it, it took me over 7 minutes to clear, because I kept swinging around looking for enemies to kill. Eventually I got used to the pattern and did it within the gold medal requirement quite easily. I also remembered you could use RB to tag a few enemies to kill with the shield, which shaved a lot of time off for me.

maur1c1o
08-18-2011, 11:10 PM
I'd say between 8 and 10 hours for the full 1000g

HalfEVILmonkey
08-21-2011, 07:19 PM
About 7.5 hours here too. I didn't have to mop up for collectibles because I got them all on my first run, without even using a guide. But I did spend some time searching through an area a few times before I moved on to the next one, so that added to the play time. I supposed if you use a guide, the time would be shortened.

As for the challenges, they're quite easy to get gold medals on, but you must learn how to counter, and how to time the shield to deflect bullets back to enemies. The only challenge that I had problems with is Prisoner of War, which is more like a platforming sequence thing. The first time I did it, it took me over 7 minutes to clear, because I kept swinging around looking for enemies to kill. Eventually I got used to the pattern and did it within the gold medal requirement quite easily. I also remembered you could use RB to tag a few enemies to kill with the shield, which shaved a lot of time off for me.

Yeah Prisoner of War took me a couple of tries. What I did was watch the video that skully made and wrote down the order he went (i.e., left or right) and then checked it off as I beat each set of soldiers. The first time I played the map, I did exactly what you did and was just swinging around like an idiot and not finding anyone to kill. god, I am a little sad that I am 1000/1000 in this game. It was so fun. I just finished Green Lantern afterwards, and that was a steaming pile of shit after playing Cap.

shinobigarth
09-08-2011, 05:03 AM
yeah Prisoner of War was the one that took a couple tries for me. thats because its hard to tell exactly where the next group of enemies are gonna come from so you end up swinging around aimlessly until you figure out the pattern. then it took me a long time to find where Madam Hydra was hiding at.