PDA

View Full Version : CoD is not realistic at all.

tkhbecker
07-31-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm so pissed about people who ride CoD's coat tails talking about its 100% most realistic shooter on the market. Here are something’s you may and/or may not see in a "real" war.

CAMPING: CoD- People bitch cause they're not smart enough to avoid it.
REALISTICALLY- It's called an ambush. Most military forces, maybe not in the European Alliance, usually set up ambushes by using an enemy's known tactics and routes to their advantages.
FIXES- None really, just stop bitching.

SNIPERS: CoD- People run around quick scoping and such.
REALISTICALLY- I have never met a sniper who has quick scoped. They are trained to not blink for several minutes and not to break sites. They have also been trained to stay in a certain vantage points for days on end.
FIXES- If using a Sniper rifle have the mechanics utilize the crouch or prone technique before firing.

LIFE EXPECTENCY: CoD- People play CoD, get killed, and respawn.
REALISTICALLY- An Infantryman's life expectancy is zero to none once the bullets start flying. There's no running into the fray with a war cry, ducking behind cover to regain health, shrugging off grenade blast, and too many unrealistic CoD moments to list.
FIXES- Health meter with a bleed out mechanic. If you're shot unless you receive medical attention in some cases, you're not going to make it. No respawn. Make people have a consequence for their lack unrealism.

Now I'm not saying CoD isn’t a fun game, I prefer HALO myself cause it's not hype as "realistic". I'm a veteran and have served in Somalia and it's not as glamorous as video games try to predict. I just wish it were more realistic and it makes player's think before taking action.

SpongebobRoundpants
07-31-2011, 01:39 PM
I would say the most realistic shooter is OF Dragon Rising games.

Hamburgerous
07-31-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't want to be insulting, but I fear I may fail at that endeavour. I'm not sure what your point is. Remove re-spawning, fire fights and bring in crippled and blown off limbs so you can slowly bleed out in the field an have the screen turn black and that's your multiplayer experience over?

You know what? I'm glad CoD isn't realistic. Do you know why? Because war fucking sucks. If you want to go to war and enjoy a realistic experience then I'm sure the recruiters down your local mall can sort that out. But for the rest of us I'm glad it's nothing like real war. I'm glad it doesn't hurt. I'm glad I can stop whenever I want. I'm glad I can respawn. I'm glad I can't become a prisoner of war. I'm glad I can't be tortured for information. I'm glad that when I make a mistake and get my legs blown off, I don't have to pull out a picture of my family and make them my last thought before I lay down my life for my country.

So yes, CoD isn't realistic and I couldn't be happier about that fact.

Edit - I think I managed.

Rep
07-31-2011, 03:06 PM
I wonder how many times these complaints have been brought up.

Agent Aero
07-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Most military forces, maybe not in the European Alliance, usually set up ambushes by using an enemy's known tactics and routes to their advantages.

I don't understand what you mean by this?

litepink
07-31-2011, 03:45 PM
What an awesome multiplayer this would be! Stare down a scope without blinking for several minutes at a time (Kinect can detect if you do!!!!) and wait for your target for hours and hours on end.

iLLMATICxKiNG
07-31-2011, 04:37 PM
I never hear anyone explain CoD as realistic.
I hear it be called an Arcade Shooter.

AFreakinCabbag3
07-31-2011, 05:52 PM
You go make that realistic game and see how well it does, very few people buy a game to be a war sim.

Also its normally the BF prechers that bring realism up because they have tanks you know and war has tanks therefore BF is realistic.

Hamburgerous
07-31-2011, 06:44 PM
You go make that realistic game and see how well it does, very few people buy a game to be a war sim.

Also its normally the BF prechers that bring realism up because they have tanks you know and war has tanks therefore BF is realistic.

They have bullet drop too, that's kinda realistic.

Verdinial
07-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Of course it isn't. Some people find games in which are so realistic, a few shots will kill you fun, that's why they made the OF games, some people prefer having a good old gunfight and running around having a laugh. That's what Cod is for. Some people prefer a game which isn't too realistic, but requires patience and teamwork, that's why we have Battlefield.

Vegaskingz
07-31-2011, 07:48 PM
The point is mate, its a GAME. A video game played by video game players on tv's at home. A game without respawn? Have you even paused to consider what the consequences of your 'fixes' will be?

I understand you are a veteran, and kudos to you sir. But there is a line between conserving realism and removing enjoyment out of a video game.

MxPx
07-31-2011, 08:00 PM
The point is mate, its a GAME. A video game played by video game players on tv's at home. A game without respawn? Have you even paused to consider what the consequences of your 'fixes' will be?

I understand you are a veteran, and kudos to you sir. But there is a line between conserving realism and removing enjoyment out of a video game.

There's no respawns in SnD, and that's fun as hell.

Coadster1
07-31-2011, 08:01 PM
It's a game. It's supposed to be for fun. I thank you for serving our country, I respect that. But if games were too realistic, I'm afraid they wouldn't be as fun. If I wanted a game that was 100% realistic, I would go join the military. Imagine playing a game that if you were shot one time, you would be limping and screaming, trying to get to cover. You then look look down at your leg, and it's completely gone. Then you die, and have to wait 10 min. for the game to finish because there are no re-spawns, remember. It would scare and disturb some people, because it's too realistic. There has to be a defining difference between games and real life.

AFreakinCabbag3
07-31-2011, 08:03 PM
They have bullet drop too, that's kinda realistic.

How could I forget that the idea of realism just blew my mind tbh.

There's no respawns in SnD, and that's fun as hell.

No he means no respawns as in your dead you can never ever play the game ever again ever thats the way I took it.

MxPx
07-31-2011, 08:05 PM
It's a game. It's supposed to be for fun. I thank you for serving our country, I respect that. But if games were too realistic, I'm afraid they wouldn't be as fun. If I wanted a game that was 100% realistic, I would go join the military. Imagine playing a game that if you were shot one time, you would be limping and screaming, trying to get to cover. You then look look down at your leg, and it's completely gone. Then you die, and have to wait 10 min. for the game to finish because there are no re-spawns, remember. It would scare and disturb some people, because it's too realistic. There has to be a defining difference between games and real life.

That's not true at all. (To the first part, at least)

Coadster1
07-31-2011, 08:47 PM
That's not true at all. (To the first part, at least)

Games aren't supposed to be for fun? Say what? :confused:

Hamburgerous
07-31-2011, 09:03 PM
How could I forget that the idea of realism just blew my mind tbh.

Bullet drop AND tanks though? It's EXACTLY like a real war.

MxPx
07-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Games aren't supposed to be for fun? Say what? :confused:
No.

The fact that realistic game cannot be fun is the part that is untrue.

Coadster1
07-31-2011, 09:41 PM
The fact that realistic game cannot be fun is the part that is untrue.

They can be fun, but something too realistic doesn't seem fun, at least for me. Would you like to stare down your scope until you see an enemy? But wait, everything has to be perfect, you have to know the distance and speed of the wind. If all those factors were included in a game, would you honestly play that? I know some people might. But it sounds boring as hell to me. That's what I mean.

MxPx
07-31-2011, 09:51 PM
They can be fun, but something too realistic doesn't seem fun, at least for me. Would you like to stare down your scope until you see an enemy? But wait, everything has to be perfect, you have to know the distance and speed of the wind. If all those factors were included in a game, would you honestly play that? I know some people might. But it sounds boring as hell to me. That's what I mean.

I would definitely play that. That game sounds sick.

One main thing is, I'd rather ACTUALLY snipe. As in, be perched up in a group of trees, 1000m or so from the target.

Ghost Recon, back when Xbox Live first came out back in 2003 or so, was sweet for this. Snipers could actually snipe, and could actually out-shoot ARs. You saw a M16 gunner camped out...waited for an open shot, boom, dead. They never knew you were there, nor could they hit you even if they did as they only had ARs and you had a sniper rifle.

I'm not saying that game was purely realistic either, but it was at least more realistic.

In COD, I often find myself positioned farther away from the enemy with my M16 than the snipers on my team are...half the time. Makes no sense. Then they get angry when I steal their kills. >=D

Coadster1
07-31-2011, 09:56 PM
I would definitely play that. That game sounds sick.

One main thing is, I'd rather ACTUALLY snipe. As in, be perched up in a group of trees, 1000m or so from the target.

Ghost Recon, back when Xbox Live first came out back in 2003 or so, was sweet for this. Snipers could actually snipe, and could actually out-shoot ARs. You saw a M16 gunner camped out...waited for an open shot, boom, dead. They never knew you were there, nor could they hit you even if they did as they only had ARs and you had a sniper rifle.

I'm not saying that game was purely realistic either, but it was at least more realistic.

In COD, I often find myself positioned farther away from the enemy with my M16 than the snipers on my team are...half the time. Makes no sense. Then they get angry when I steal their kills. >=D

That's awesome if you like it. I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm just saying if the next Call of Duty was like that, I'm sure many of it's current players would bitch about it.

MxPx
07-31-2011, 10:00 PM
I suppose. But you made a blanket statement that no realistic game can be fun. So I was speaking inexclusively of the COD series.

Coadster1
07-31-2011, 10:07 PM
I suppose. But you made a blanket statement that no realistic game can be fun. So I was speaking inexclusively of the COD series.

Exactly what I said:
But if games were too realistic, I'm afraid they wouldn't be as fun.

I said, I don't think they would be as fun, as in, my opinion. If you thought otherwise, I apologize. Sorry for the confusion, bad wording on my part.

DEG23
08-01-2011, 12:59 AM
I think all these war games, COD, Battlefield etc merely show a glimpse into the world.

And considering one of the original military FPS, America's Army, was originally made in accordance with the US army as a recruiting tool, these games, enitice us to be a part of that world.

But video games are first and foremost a form of entertainment and are meant to be fun and enjoyable so we keep spending hundreds of dollars of new releases. The video game industry would crash if we all spent $80 on a brand new Call of Duty to repel out of a helo, run forward 20 meters and get shot by an insurgent only to die and never be able to play the game again.

I think the world 'realism' is often used to decribe elements like, graphics, the sounds of guns and explosions, tactics the AI uses to make them seem life like. But i am yet to play a game that offers a realistic experience.

Even games like the operation flashpoint series are far from realistic. "I have been shot multiple times in different limbs but if i hold a medkit in front of me for a few seconds, i will be back to normal."

I for one don't want to experience the horrors of war in my living room. In fact in Black ops when i first used a shotgun to blow the forearm off an NVA i paused for a moment watching the man cry out in pain and roll around on the ground holding his stub of an arm, i was slightly put off by this. I mean 'yay' for a somewhat realistic depiction of a human losing an arm, but i felt somewhat guilty as this humanised the enemy.

CovertDog
08-01-2011, 01:19 AM
This thread should have started and ended with "CoD is not realistic at all." No shit. Only a complete moron would argue it was and of course there isn't any of those here.;) So please if you want to start an argument, make it an intelligent one.
(http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=322448)
I don't understand what you mean by this?

I believe that was some sort of backhanded insult at the European Alliance's military. Just another attempt to start some dumb ass argument.

Closed.