PDA

View Full Version : New User - Setup Tips / Questions

xX Rom Xx
08-05-2011, 06:56 PM
So finally bagged a kinect off eBay, came today.
I'm amazed just how much space it needs!

On Kinect Adventures, I can get it in 'Best' zone for 2 player. But sofa impedes some backwards motion occasionally. Also my tv is in the corner of the room (straight not diagonal)
With the sensor central to tv, left movement (for example the side 'plugging' needed on Adventures) can also be impeded.
I know there's no fix for this as it's just the space I have. Though I've seem the Nyko Zoom thingy. Coming out.

I've moved the sensor over so it's no longer central. It seems to work ok, any reason I shouldn't do this ?

Lastly, and what is puzzling me. Is in play, my calves can hit the sofa....yet if I sit on the sofa, and try and use Kinect, going through Hub etc. I often have to sit right on the edge, and rewave my hand etc.
Seems odd I hit the sofa when trying to play sometimes, yet it struggles to pick me up on it. That extra 12" surely can't be out of range? Not when I'm hitting the sofa in play?!

Sandro Rodriguez
10-26-2011, 04:36 PM
i've got the same problem in my new house the way the wife has set up the room. I have to stand side on to the TV so I avoid the sofa.

Not ideal, but it's the only position I can play in and not go out of range or stand too close.

ydnarrocks
10-30-2011, 09:31 PM
The reason it loses your legs when sitting on the couch is the depth perception of the sensor. It has a very narrow range to connect the rest of you to your head and hands. I hope the depth perception improves with the new dashboard release.

Eunomiac
11-01-2011, 01:51 PM
The Nyko Zoom is out now; just saw it in Wal-mart. Anyone have any experience with it? I used to live in a medium-sized apartment, and was livid at how misled I felt by the advertising on play space (I particularly hate the picture on the back of the Kinect Adventures box, with the two people apparently having a blast about four feet from their TV): I measured my space and everything before investing, but found eight feet was not enough.

Mounting the Kinect on top of your TV, with one of those Rocketfish brackets (or whatever brand you can find), has worked best for me. Just make sure the top of your TV isn't that much higher than six feet.

The Brewmann
11-04-2011, 06:49 AM
I have used the Nyko Zoom. I live in an apartment atm and It really does let you move quite a bit closer. I think it's $25 at Walmart. Be sure to over exaggerate whatever movement you are doing, seems to work best.