PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Bearded Bugs
08-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know of any confirmations from Turn 10 regarding whether or not they'll be including different weather conditions in the game? I've always enjoyed wet weather racing in other games and I think it would add an interesting new level to the Forza series.

Josh Benton
08-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Can't say for certain but i'm about 99.9% that Turn10 said that they weren't adding day/night or weather effect cycles into Forza 4.

It is shame since it's a simulator and you'd think it would be a pretty normal thing these days but they're not... sadly :(

Painkiller Q8
08-27-2011, 03:57 AM
I think I saw a post about that matter here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forza-Motorsport-4/158088700905468

IEvil IMonkey
08-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Its still a NO im pretty sure.... shame cause its a great part of other games like PGR4 etc and can really change the way you race on a track in the dry/wet/snow etc

Bearded Bugs
08-27-2011, 01:25 PM
What the hell's wrong with them? Obviously the games have always been fantastic but fans have consistently asked for weather effects. I'm guessing it'll be the same with day/night races?

SuperSkyline89
09-04-2011, 01:30 AM
What the hell's wrong with them? Obviously the games have always been fantastic but fans have consistently asked for weather effects. I'm guessing it'll be the same with day/night races?

Turn 10 totally overhauled the handling mechanisms for 4. In past games they had tire data from several tire manufacturers, this time they threw it all out and got it all from Pirelli. They didn't have the time to get wet weather data though and they aren't willing to put rain in unless the data is real. Other games have rain but the physics in those games is simplistic at best so there's no comparison, putting rain in Forza requires a lot of work by a Turn 10 AND a tire manufacturer.

Bearded Bugs
09-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Turn 10 totally overhauled the handling mechanisms for 4. In past games they had tire data from several tire manufacturers, this time they threw it all out and got it all from Pirelli. They didn't have the time to get wet weather data though and they aren't willing to put rain in unless the data is real. Other games have rain but the physics in those games is simplistic at best so there's no comparison, putting rain in Forza requires a lot of work by a Turn 10 AND a tire manufacturer.

Personally I would rather wait another year or so and have simulation weather effects, but I suppose T10 made the right decision for the company and went with it.

Does Forza 3 take into account things like atmospheric pressure and altitude effects etc?

I still don't think adding nightime races would be too hard, compared to adding weather; they already have a good grasp of how lighting works. Zipping around the Nürburgring at night would be challenging but amazing.

SuperSkyline89
09-04-2011, 05:37 PM
No, atmospheric pressure and altitude effects are not in as far as I know. But they do have track temperature. From the same link I posted before.

"Regarding weather conditions, we do simulate different track temperatures. However, we did not get tire data for wet conditions from out tire partners at Pirelli. We do have SAE data about wet conditions, but it's nowhere near as comprehensive as our Pirelli data. In order to simulate wet correctly, we'd like to get custom real-world test data to input into our system. Of course, physics isn't the only difficult aspect of delivering wet conditions. Creating believable weather effects also depends upon gobs of particles and lots of shiny, reflective surfaces. There are several tricks for doing this but it would still have made delivering the graphical fidelity of FM4 at a solid 60 FPS nearly impossible in our development timeframe."

As for night driving, that's a graphical issue. They new IBL (Image Based Lighting) model is very complex and far more realistic than other racing games. For night racing there's too much graphical load from the headlights to achieve 60 fps at this level of detail.

"Delivering night is about more than just getting the general look right. As we found on the original Forza Motorsport, having multiple headlight projections with multiple cast shadows is computationally heavy - even using clever tricks like we did on the less powerful original Xbox platform. This makes delivering a strong night racing experience very difficult at 60 FPS without significant compromise."

Basically what it comes down to is Turn 10 isn't EA or the various other developers making arcade racing games. They don't compromise what works for what doesn't. The parts that are in the game are the most realistic available on a console. Other companies do have the parts that aren't in Forza but they don't have any semblance of realism to them so they aren't good enough for Forza.

Bearded Bugs
09-05-2011, 02:53 PM
It's disappointing but I can understand them wanting to keep everything in the game as realistic as possible. If they would be including weather and nightime effects but at a compromised level then it's probably for the best to leave it out.

H2O
09-06-2011, 11:08 AM
When i heard there was no weather effects in Forza 4 i was disappointed but after reading the article about why they've done what they've done i'm happy again.

I do hope the new tyre data leads to higher tyre wear though. I quite like having to try and hang on for one more lap with my tyres shot to pieces. :)

Mohegan13
09-07-2011, 12:10 PM
TBH I don't think Forza will ever see weather. Dan said a few years ago around the FM2 release that "racing in wet weather isn't fun" or words to that affect. After all the stuff they added in FM3 in regards to driver aids, I think they feel wet weather would turn away all the people they are trying to get by adding the aids.

I would love to see Day/Night cycles and weather, I just don't see it happening so long as they focus more on non-racing gamers as they have been doing.

DEG23
09-08-2011, 12:24 AM
TBH I don't think Forza will ever see weather. Dan said a few years ago around the FM2 release that "racing in wet weather isn't fun" or words to that affect. After all the stuff they added in FM3 in regards to driver aids, I think they feel wet weather would turn away all the people they are trying to get by adding the aids.

I would love to see Day/Night cycles and weather, I just don't see it happening so long as they focus more on non-racing gamers as they have been doing.

I can just picture it now driving in the rain, the line that shows you when to brake, lift off etc, would be yellow or red the entire time.

As for day night cycles, i think the occasional night race would be okay but i don't want to see real time weather, mainly because it would be a bitch to drive during sunrise/sunset. I remember in FM3 the Sedona track (think that's right) has a low sun and when you approach one of the crests the glare prvents you from seeing where the corner is. Although if there was an option to lower the sun visor, it just might work.

H2O
09-08-2011, 07:36 AM
I remember in FM3 the Sedona track (think that's right) has a low sun and when you approach one of the crests the glare prvents you from seeing where the corner is. Although if there was an option to lower the sun visor, it just might work.

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca i think. I hated that Sun as other than that it's one of my favorite tracks :(

Mohegan13
09-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Going through that corner on Sedona as fast as possible on blind faith because the corner is blind - particular with the sun in your eye, I really enjoy it. Sure I used to make mistakes, but once you learn a track (which is admittedly fast for me) you have that confidence of knowing your braking/turn-in points without needing to see the corner.

It's all part of the reason I want time of day changes. I'd love to be to do a simulated 24hr Le Mans or Sebring over 2 hours real time in Forza. Having to rely on my memory of the track as the light fades, that to me is exhilarating.

UKProdigy
09-08-2011, 09:42 AM
I will probably end up eating my words, but i would love to have a bit of wet weather driving. I love the way the spray of the water looks going everywhere, makes it look really nice and professional.
I felt that way when i raced in F1 2010, that was real cool, right up to the point i put it into a wall! LOL :woop:

H2O
09-08-2011, 10:00 AM
You have a good point. My real issue with it in Forza 3 is just the fact that it's ALWAYS there in the exact same place.

If the conditions changed causing the same effect at times only then it'd be perfect.