PDA

View Full Version : Kinectageddon

Mr Chr15topher
08-19-2011, 08:50 PM
With the Xbox becoming more and more focused on implementing the Kinect into every aspect of using the console such as gaming, watching films and searching the marketplace, we have to ask ourselves: Where do we draw the line?
With yet another new dashboard just around the corner, those of you who have seen the previews and own a Windows Phone 7 will know what i'm talking about when I say that it has been reduced to looking like an expanded app. All for the sake of making it easier to navigate for the minority of Xbox users who own a Kinect.
Not only is the Dashboard suffering from losing it's identity, but our games as well. The most dramatic example of which is Fable: the Journey. Fable, a series which has always been known for being a massive open world RPG, has succumbed to the curse of the Kinect. It has been reduced to a linear joke, all for the sake of trying to use technology which is adequately suited for fitness and sports games, but should never be used for core games.
For all who enjoy using the Kinect, i just want to say that I find the technology it uses amazing, but I just feel that it is currently doing the Xbox more harm than good.
Since the Kinect has come out, everything about the xbox has been made to focus on using it and I think it's ruining the the charm of what the Xbox used to be.

jedijaxpavan
08-20-2011, 10:57 PM
I understand what you are saying.

There will always be hard core games but with the Kinect now the hard can meet the soft (casual ).

Your friend is total Gears head. You tried to play online but you are no good at games like that but you like the story and characters. Gears Kinect comes out for the "soft" and now you can play and be involved in that universe without having to be hard.

That's what I think. It will be fine.

Veedrock
08-21-2011, 12:05 AM
All for the sake of making it easier to navigate for the minority of Xbox users

While it may be easier to navigate with Kinect, where was it stated that the new dashboard design was solely for that reason? Additionally, what makes you think it'll be harder to navigate with a controller?

Fable, a series which has always been known for being a massive open world RPG, has succumbed to the curse of the Kinect. It has been reduced to a linear joke

Halo has been known as a phenomenal FPS, but Halo Wars didn't shake the foundation or alter what the series is. Fable: The Journey is a spin-off game, like Halo Wars, and much like Halo Wars it's not going to drastically alter the series. Fable 4 is already in the works for your typical open-RPG fun (and they have plans for Fable 5 already), so where is this doomsday speak coming from?

but should never be used for core games.

And now for the point of my post, why shouldn't it be used for core games? Your post pretty much says "because," which is bogus. If you have an opinion you should be able to defend it.

You think it's only good for fitness and sports, but it's that kind of linear thinking that prevents progression. You said yourself that the tech behind Kinect is amazing, so why can't they expand on it and utilize more so that it can be used for core games? It's already begun with games like Ghost Recon, Halo Anniversary, and Mass Effect 3 implementing it. Kinect is only going to get better.

I just don't get it, absolutely nothing has changed with the Xbox for the "core user" since Kinect launched (you seriously cannot name a single thing), so how is it that Kinect is bringing about the Armageddon of the Xbox? Why is it that big of a deal?

Marf
08-22-2011, 07:59 PM
I just don't get it, absolutely nothing has changed with the Xbox for the "core user" since Kinect launched (you seriously cannot name a single thing), so how is it that Kinect is bringing about the Armageddon of the Xbox? Why is it that big of a deal?[/QUOTE]

I agree it's not as dangerous as people make out, I think that the real problem is the fact that they don't have the ability to incorparate the device into the core gamers hands. The truth of the matter is that core gamers will play for hours, but to do that you have to be sat down and not swinging your hands around.

stranger35
08-22-2011, 11:39 PM
There will always be that void between Core gamers and Kinect gamers

Minty
08-22-2011, 11:42 PM
I agree it's not as dangerous as people make out, I think that the real problem is the fact that they don't have the ability to incorparate the device into the core gamers hands. The truth of the matter is that core gamers will play for hours, but to do that you have to be sat down and not swinging your hands around.

Things like Forza are proving that's not the case, where turning your head will allow you to view your mirrors etc. Not every game requires you to be stood up playing.

MC B0B x360a
08-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Things like Forza are proving that's not the case, where turning your head will allow you to view your mirrors etc. Not every game requires you to be stood up playing.

Agreed. As long as the technology is being implemented into core game correctly, I dont see a problem with it. I have always wished something like this would be implemented into forza. We dont have to hit the back button anymore and can look side to side which is natural. Maybe next we can use the kinect to shift gears, which comes natural to me, but shifting on a controller does not.

Jellybean468
08-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I don't mind it when games like Forza Motorsport 4, Mass Effect 3 and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier implement kinect technology to further advance the general feel and aspect of the game. I promote that, in fact.

Hell, Rise of Nightmares looks good. But once microsoft start taking over first-party games and implementing them to be kinect only, that I mind.

ydnarrocks
10-30-2011, 09:43 PM
I think it comes more from a goal of bringing a wider range of people into the gaming community. This may be blasphemy to the hardcore, but can room be made for the occasional gamer?