PDA

View Full Version : Why does PC get Dedicated Servers and not Consoles?

Stormy2k
08-21-2011, 10:18 PM
On 402's twitter he has put:

Yes! Modern Warfare 3 on PC will support dedicated servers, day 1.

Why can't they provide this for the console market, is there any reason why they can't?

StillTIPPIN187
08-21-2011, 10:29 PM
They haven't said if they are or not for consoles yet..

Im sure you'll find out after CoD XP.

I wouldn't get my hopes up though..

Coadster1
08-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I think it's granted that console's already have dedicated servers, let's just hope so! I think this announcement was made because PC games are so much easier to hack and mod than console games are, and they want their PC fans to know they still matter and should have the same amount of care that console owners will have.

Burnout x360a
08-22-2011, 10:18 AM
September's COD XP will answer your question, i'm not being that optimistic.

XoNiNjAlEoNoX
08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't know much about it, but could someone explain to me what the advantages of dedicated servers are? Why are they so popular? What's the difference between PC/console ded servers. Thanks.

Stormy2k
08-22-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't know much about it, but could someone explain to me what the advantages of dedicated servers are? Why are they so popular? What's the difference between PC/console ded servers. Thanks.
Games like COD are run on peer 2 peer connections meaning in the lobby, the game will pick the user with the best connection (9 times out of 10) to run the match using their internet connections.

Dedicated servers are servers which run specificly to host games and as they aren't based on yours or mine connections, you get virtually no lag and smooth games.

I'm sure someone will explain this much better than me though!! :p

XoNiNjAlEoNoX
08-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Games like COD are run on peer 2 peer connections meaning in the lobby, the game will pick the user with the best connection (9 times out of 10) to run the match using their internet connections.

Dedicated servers are servers which run specificly to host games and as they aren't based on yours or mine connections, you get virtually no lag and smooth games.

I'm sure someone will explain this much better than me though!! :p

I think you cleared it up well enough. Thank you.

MC B0B x360a
08-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Did you ever play on Homefront's dedicated servers. After that debacle I will take my chances with P2P. For instance, Homefront didnt have enough servers open for the number of players. It took weeks for them to get enough servers open. Then the servers were unstable, and had more lag than any other COD game I ever played. By the time all the kinks were worked out most people had given up on the game.

Grey Delta
08-22-2011, 06:36 PM
PC players kicked up blue murder when MW2 didn't have dedicated servers so that's why they're included now on that platform. As for consoles, P2P is the tried & tested method and costs nothing for them to maintain so I would bet consoles will not be getting dedicated servers. That's just speculation though.

Outline
08-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Too many players on consoles, console players don't care, console servers are generally horrible.

xxx orange
08-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Halo reach servers are very good unless you have a bad connection, it just depends on how good they make the servers I guess, because sometimes I cant play Blops because of lag and then I go and play halo Reach and its fine.

xxx orange
08-22-2011, 09:54 PM
I think it would be sooooooooo much better on consoles if they had dedicated servers.

Dirty130
08-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Half the reason I choose Battlefield over Camp or Die is the dedicated servers.

FOXmasler
08-22-2011, 10:50 PM
So Reach has dedicated servers! That game runs smooth all the time! If halo can do it COD can do it. The amount of disconnects in black ops is getting ridiculous and MW2 isnt a whole lot better.

Stormy2k
08-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Did you ever play on Homefront's dedicated servers. After that debacle I will take my chances with P2P. For instance, Homefront didnt have enough servers open for the number of players. It took weeks for them to get enough servers open. Then the servers were unstable, and had more lag than any other COD game I ever played. By the time all the kinks were worked out most people had given up on the game.Yeah I did.

I was going to put in my summary that sometimes dedicated servers can go bandi, like Homefronts. Even Bad Company had issues too.

MC B0B x360a
08-23-2011, 01:17 AM
Yeah I did.

I was going to put in my summary that sometimes dedicated servers can go bandi, like Homefronts. Even Bad Company had issues too.

I think we are at the point where we just expect lag. Why is that technology is getting more advanced every day, but my connection keeps getting worse?

TpYourHouse
08-23-2011, 12:44 PM
So Reach has dedicated servers! That game runs smooth all the time! If halo can do it COD can do it. The amount of disconnects in black ops is getting ridiculous and MW2 isnt a whole lot better.

Halo Reach does NOT have dedicated servers... So far there have been only like 5 games on 360 (just taking a guess but it is a low number) that have dedicated servers. Dedicated ones aren't always better than peer to peer, and it can be any server around the globe which can cause problems. For example if someone from the east coast USA was to connect to a server on the west coast that person would have a much higher ping than anyone else on the server who is closer to the servers actual location. IMO dedicated servers are just bad in general.
Sources: My personal experience with them.

Hamburgerous
08-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Halo Reach does NOT have dedicated servers... So far there have been only like 5 games on 360 (just taking a guess but it is a low number) that have dedicated servers. Dedicated ones aren't always better than peer to peer, and it can be any server around the globe which can cause problems. For example if someone from the east coast USA was to connect to a server on the west coast that person would have a much higher ping than anyone else on the server who is closer to the servers actual location. IMO dedicated servers are just bad in general.
Sources: My personal experience with them.

I'm glad someone else had the sense to say this.

Dedicated servers, like p2p server type things, have their good points and bad points.

StillTIPPIN187
08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Robert Bowling
"Dedicated Servers are a PC exclusive feature."

so i guess that confirms it.. Not on console once again ppls.

Perax
08-29-2011, 02:58 PM
I personally never had any problems with dedicated servers, but on pc games.
Dunno why console's dedicated servers often suks hard, maybe for the huge amount of players consoles have or maybe for the low amount of servers.

In my experience, usually dedicated servers are much better then p2p but they can be really worse if they're not enought to support the huge amount of players consoles have.

If you want dedicated servers, do them right, open a lot of 'em and always keep an eye on them for rebooting/debugging; otherwise just use p2p connection and live together with host's god mode.

StayonTarget
08-31-2011, 07:09 AM
I honestly do not think there is a legitimate reason why consoles don't get them. The real reason is probably money though. It's not worth the couple million dollars for millions of players enjoyment I guess.

niko da bos
09-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I think we are at the point where we just expect lag. Why is that technology is getting more advanced every day, but my connection keeps getting worse?

lulz! i love this post, and its so true. wth with connection interruptions, host migrations ughhh. i love to play COD online daily now, but i get so angry when the same match will lag-switch / host migration like 2-3 times.

i mean most of the time im not sure whos to blame, weather its my connection or the kid on my team whos playing xbox from china. over time i have come to realize that the core issue in these problems is usually the server. as much as i have fallen in love with COD over the past month, it could really use a dedicated server. there is such a HUGE community, and expect to see them lash out if PC users get a more online-friendly title.

Hamburgerous
09-01-2011, 08:50 PM
lulz! i love this post, and its so true. wth with connection interruptions, host migrations ughhh. i love to play COD online daily now, but i get so angry when the same match will lag-switch / host migration like 2-3 times.

i mean most of the time im not sure whos to blame, weather its my connection or the kid on my team whos playing xbox from china. over time i have come to realize that the core issue in these problems is usually the server. as much as i have fallen in love with COD over the past month, it could really use a dedicated server. there is such a HUGE community, and expect to see them lash out if PC users get a more online-friendly title.

Dedicated servers are a great thing - if you live near the servers.

StayonTarget
09-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Dedicated servers are a great thing - if you live near the servers.

That's true I guess. But with PC games, the servers can be hosted anywhere and still run perfectly.

Hamburgerous
09-02-2011, 08:21 AM
That's true I guess. But with PC games, the servers can be hosted anywhere and still run perfectly.

ermmm, that's just not true. Because you live in America and I live in Britain we're somewhat spoiled by our choices for servers. If you live somewhere less populated or with less good infrastructure then you'd see the problems with dedicated servers more prominently.

Burnout x360a
09-02-2011, 08:34 AM
ermmm, that's just not true. Because you live in America and I live in Britain we're somewhat spoiled by our choices for servers. If you live somewhere less populated or with less good infrastructure then you'd see the problems with dedicated servers more prominently.

Like the well known problems for the Australians.