PDA

View Full Version : EA moving away from online achievements

thecrazyguy
07-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Well with NCAA 08 out this week and the madden 08 achievements now up, you'll notice that EA seems to be shying away from online achievements. NCAA 08 has only one online achievement and a rather simple one for playing a ranked game. While madden 08 has no online achievements whatsoever. It will certainly be interesting to see what the achievements are for Tiger, Nascar, Fifa, and NBA live 08 to see if this trend continues.

I was just curious to get peoples opinions on this. What do you think? Did you like online achieves in past EA games, or do you like this apparent move away from online achievements?

Me personally, i'd have to say i'm quite happy about this. I've never really been one for online achievements. I'm much happier just earning achievements in single player modes.

DeW222
07-17-2007, 11:48 PM
I don't like online achievements much either. Especially when the game is meant to be a single player game and the online is just slapped on. Online achievements tend to be either overly hard or counter productive to enjoyment of the game.

poulpy72
07-18-2007, 12:00 AM
I must agree with DeW222 (even though he doesn't like Nascar, for which I'll have to mind control him and change his mind:))...I'm all for single-player achievements only! Main reason?? I'm not even an XBL gold member...hehe. But apart from this, I still prefer to complete achievements by myself.

Way to go EA...and I truly hope others will follow!

TriesButFails
07-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Much rather see single player achievements but one way or another i'll try to earn them all...:)

Software2
07-18-2007, 01:36 AM
But online achievements are so great! It's not like people have to go out of their way to get them or anything... :rolleyes:

(Okay, if your sarcasm detector is broken look at my sig)

eXiled Killah
07-18-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't like online achievements much either. Especially when the game is meant to be a single player game and the online is just slapped on. Online achievements tend to be either overly hard or counter productive to enjoyment of the game.

Definitely :whs. I've been leaving some online achievements lately because I found them taking away from the fun and EA is notorious for broken achievements so....

L3giOn
07-18-2007, 02:35 AM
I think EA should just move away from achievements period, considering how many of them are glitched.

X-Breakaway
07-18-2007, 03:02 AM
I'm not a fan of online achievements, so hopefully this is a sign of things to come from EA. Just need everyone else to follow suit and do the same thing, which isn't going to happen.

ilski
07-18-2007, 03:03 AM
I think EA should just move away from achievements period, considering how many of them are glitched.

The best post I've seen you make. :drunk

crusaderV1
07-18-2007, 03:17 AM
I'm very happy to see more single player acheviement becuase it gives people who arent so good at the game time to practice said game instead of thrusting an inexperinced player right into the lion's den. and I'm sure that everyone has glitched an acheviement at one point or another. *starts looking at R6V*

veritas347
07-18-2007, 03:27 AM
i really dont care but i prefer offline achievements because they are easier :)

Wolf
07-18-2007, 03:29 AM
I just don't like the win streak achievements. I like them to get my feet wet; give me an incentive to go into the online modes and then, once I see how it's like, decide if I want to keep playing. Take NHL 07 for example. Their lone online achievement is simply to play a ranked match. I have very little motivation to go into EA's online modes, so I figured I'd just get it over with and call it a day. However, the online turned out to be really fun and I've been hooked ever since.

x McGrim x
07-18-2007, 04:54 AM
I'll just get the achievements either way...The only time that I really care is if they're good online games. I don't mind getting the achievements in Gears of War, because it's a great game. If I had to get the achievements in something such as multiplayer Bomberman Zero, I would hate it. :|

ABJeepin
07-18-2007, 05:52 AM
EA should have never been allowed to do online Achievements anyways there servers are garbage and MS owns them as in having to have 4 controllers to get 1 achievement in Live 07.

Sebastian55
07-18-2007, 06:16 AM
Over the years it has been proven that EA is not dependable as far as online gameplay goes. I know they have enough money to buy more dedicated servers to keep up with low, medium, and intense online play traffic. For me... it depends on the game as to whether or not I'm happy to see online achievements, but for now... with EA and how infamous they are, I'm glad they aren't doing online achievements. I think EA should play things safe by sticking to the basics.

DoM cAbAn
07-18-2007, 06:32 AM
I'm glad they are cutting down greatly on online achievements. For all the games I have by EA, the online achievements are the ones I seem to not bother getting.

M7.Ninja
07-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Since my Internet connection lags a LOT while trying to play a game, I am virtually unable to participate in any games online (except for the Halo 3 beta, in which I scored a few kills anyway).

I would prefer my achievements to be offline, and stay offline.

Tussell
07-18-2007, 06:51 AM
EA Sports games are lame to get achievements on anyways. :woop:

Jdm
07-18-2007, 09:26 AM
EA Sports games are lame to get achievements on anyways. :woop:

Haha, indeed they are lame!:p

I am glad that EA is shying away from Online Achievements. I seriously enjoy unlocking achievements on my own. No more "trading" and having to setup online games sound great!

Zef
07-18-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm not entirely bothered, I'm attempting to avoid EA games as much as possible. Whether they are online or offline, they will find a way to screw them up or make you buy every other EA game in existance just for those 5 points.

Graham31004
07-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm not a fan of online achievements. I tend to buy older games to save money and it's hard to get achievements if no one is playing those games anymore.

Tussell
07-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah, but also the thing with online achievements, especially in sports games, is most people that play them aren't in it for the achievement. When you're playing single player, especially in sports games, you know you'll most likely get them no matter what.

Luckily, sports games that have been coming out, aren't that easy of achievements. Earlier they were way easy to get, but now you actually have to put in effort to get them.

Comon ST
07-18-2007, 11:48 AM
They didn't completely shy away from online achievements. Look at Nascar 08. And EAs achievements online arent that bad, except for the messed 1000 people online in NBA 07 and the retarded Carbon ones (Which are impossible to get now)

Mortikie
07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Online achievements are good and bad. Some are fun to get, but ones like This! Is! Annex! are just annoying.

Minty
07-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I hope the online Tiger achievements are more like 06 than 07. It meant that only people that actually played the game online and played well got the most achievements. 07 sucked.

sawman90
07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
I like the idea because some games you can just cheat to get online achievements but if they kept the achievements where you have to be some what good at the game and can't cheat or glitch them some how. that would be pretty cool

Vampire x360a
07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
achievements are achievements ill get them eventually if i want them enough FACT!

twotonkoala
07-18-2007, 03:41 PM
I much prefer single player achievements in EA games, it's much easier to do and you don't have to worry about them if you end up renting it 2 years later (NBA live 06, anyone?) but I like the way they're moving towards.

alex4283
07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Lumines Live > any EA game ever made.

graf1k
07-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Normally I like online achievements but EA's are just so fucking stupid, I'm glad to see them gone. My favorite was the viral Carbon achievements that didn't even start getting passed around until about 6 months after the game came out or the 'race the EA mod' ones that were nearly impossible to get because they were never online. The worst part is you know damn well EA did it just to prevent people from trading their games in as quickly so they could keep the new price higher longer.

bplayak
07-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Achievements are exactly what the word means, they are something you achieve so therefore it doesn't matter what it dictates or what they decide to make them, if you want them bad enough, online or offline, you're going to get them ;)

Adam Miller
07-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I choose the im very hapy i like getting them on single player, but really i don't its just EA's are stupid like graf1k said.

Glyndinn
07-18-2007, 06:58 PM
I like that they are more for single player mode. It kind of sucks if you don't buy a game right away, and when you finally do, no one plays it online anymore.

Guamon
07-18-2007, 07:08 PM
I think they've learned that there will never be 1000 people online in NBA Live 07 unless a group of people organize it. I think it is great that there will be less online achievements because it is too much work to find people to get the achievement like the online league ones.

Software2
07-21-2007, 08:05 AM
I think they've learned that there will never be 1000 people online in NBA Live 07 unless a group of people organize it.
There actually is a fairly large group of people organizing the next attempt. (Though there never will be 1000 people on again. If it ever does happen again it'll be because EA thankfully counts the number of profiles signed in. So if everyone at the next attempt signs in with 4 profiles it'll happen.)

Ultimately EA will do what makes them the most money. Will offline achievements increase sales?
I'm very concerned about what NBA Live 07 has done. It's an average game at best, but because of the various achievement attempts there have been thousands of extra rentals. Blockbuster will buy 08 in quantities based on 07's rental performance. Thus, one of the dumbest achievements ever will make EA more money, potentially beginning a dangerous cycle.

ilski
07-21-2007, 09:31 AM
I hope the online Tiger achievements are more like 06 than 07. It meant that only people that actually played the game online and played well got the most achievements. 07 sucked.

Ironically the main reason '07 sucks is because the online is completely fucked. I've played (or tried to) dozens of games online and I don't think it's counted a single one. 90% of the time I or the other person gets dropped from the game before it's over. Or better still, after the game is done but before it goes into the post game screens. Speaking of, I haven't played it in about five months, has the online been sorted out?

tigon7
07-21-2007, 02:54 PM
after trying to play ranked gears of war matches this is welcome to me

JoeHacker90
07-23-2007, 04:56 AM
I dont really care, i'll get the achievements either way.

Fenrir767
07-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Ya I prefer single player to multiplayer I think multi has its place but some of them are just so retarded ad can take so long.

TheLazyWolf
07-23-2007, 11:28 PM
For me, its all about whether or not the achievements require you to be 1v1 or not. I don't particularly feel like spending an entire match chatting with one 13 year old kid who keeps yelling in his mic. I would say get rid of all online achievements all together, except that games like Shadowrun and Gears have almost perfect achievements.

El Salvadorion
07-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah id rather have all around achievements none of the achievements for madden are achieving something. Id love Win 50 online wins or Go 16-0 or win a super bowl not passing for 4 td's thats EASY

AnonymousLurker
07-24-2007, 12:35 AM
I hope more companies move away from oniine achievements and focus on the single player experience. Either that or implement some sort of IQ test before you can play on Xbox Live, that way I don't have to play with some racist singing idiot n00b in every game.

jackanape
07-24-2007, 01:59 PM
I prefer single player achievements myself but do enjoy playing games online. My only request would be that companies stop linking achievements to Ranked matches - as it would be a lot more fun the get some of these points with your friends.

We all know that despite people trying to put a stop to it (Epic anyone?) people still have the brains to arrange boosting sessions and work around the system. So why not make things easier for us all and not link stuff to ranked matches as we've all had the pain of annoying kids swearing left right and centre while we try to get 100 kills or some such.

xVanished
07-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey! No more 1000 people online at once! Aha

Glad to see they have moved it to Non-XBL achievements.

RedBlinky
07-24-2007, 06:27 PM
I would much rather get my achievements in single player... some would like that it eliminates boosting for one and shows more skill usually. Also I hate it when my live is broken or internet down and i can't get achievements because i need online support (rainbow six or far cry [80 hours bleh]) but i also think they really need to stay away from "play this game online for 'X' amount of hours" those achievements are pretty annoying. I need achievements as goals lol and those are just too vague for me...

Magooush
07-24-2007, 06:30 PM
This is deffinatly for the best. EA is not very good at online achievements:p (no offense if anyone takes any) but Most of their games with online achievements have something wrong... Need For Speed: Carbon for example. Two achievements involve you playing and beating a EA Mod in an online game.. There are about 2 active Mods from what I hear... plus active is maybe once a week? or longer? I am very Glad EA is moving away from online achievements :woop:

Dstrukt
07-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Sensible online achievements are fine. EA isn't one to have such achievements so I for one am happy they are doing away with most of them. What irks me the most are single-player oriented games that contain a large amount of online achievements. What's the point in that?

Most Frantic
07-26-2007, 01:29 AM
I only have a silver account so obviously I prefer single player achievements.

TheMexicanStallion
07-26-2007, 06:54 AM
I am happy they aren't making them online achievements. I'd rather play in single player and earn them