MixMaker1
08-28-2011, 06:43 PM
HOLY. EFFING. (BLEEP).

The art style... scope... music. WOW.

Halo Fest: Halo 4 Concept Art Glimpse - YouTube

:drunk

LickableLemons7
08-28-2011, 07:22 PM
I saw this at the end of the Halo 4 panel. Very nice. It seems like the Chief crash lands on this Forerunner planet/structure, and proceeds to explore it. If that is true, then the story line may be very similar to Halo CE's. The crash land, the discovery and exploration, the twist in the middle, and the ominous unresolved ending, foreshadowing future events.

Anyone notice or make out anything from the ending sequence? I could only see that red light. Could it be the supposed "ancient, evil threat?" I mean, the flood can't make a return to the Reclaimer trilogy, right? Oh, and does anyone know if this is actual music from Halo 4? It sounds very nice.

Very nice artwork and design. I hope the level design,skybox, and storytelling will feel as amazing to me as to when I played Halo: Combat Evolved for the first time back in 2002. (Yes, I was a little late.) Here's to 343.

MixMaker1
08-28-2011, 08:38 PM
A guy from the Halo forums composted the last images from the trailer together.

I'd love to see what DarkReign sees in this:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4011/ancientenemy.jpg

DarkReign2021
08-28-2011, 10:36 PM
I had a long-winded essay written up, but I accidentally hit the back button (Why the hell do they have a back button on the side of my mouse!) and I lost the last hour of typing, so I'm going to recap what I wrote quickly and I apologize if it seems sketchy. If there's any gaps or holes you guys spot, let me know and I'll try to fill them in. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Donations are always welcome of course. Send all checks to Paypal account number...

1. I'm flattered I was even mentioned without having to make a post beforehand. Makes me feel like an important addition to the community.

2. Love the music. If I didn't know better, I'd say that was Jack Wall. He and Sam Hulick did the music for Mass Effect 1 and 2, so I wouldn't be surprised to find them working on a game like this since they left Bioware and aren't behind the music for ME3.

3. Love the concept art. The middle scenes look like backdrops. I hope they're actually playable (I would love a semi-sandbox world to explore even if there's little to no killing and little else to do than explore and maybe kind an abundance of terminals. The nerd in me wants to explore entire Forerunner worlds, conflict or not.) The ship art, though, is most likely going to be Cutscene based and would suggest an enormous jump in scale compared to the original trilogy. If this is just the beginning of the game, imagine what the rest has in store. The storytelling is going to a whole new level and Halo is finally joining the big boys :D

4. Break this into a few parts:

A) The multi-layered plating, the metallic color, and the posturing of the leg all resemble Thel's Arbiter armor, but the lack of decoration and the enclosed knee guard suggest that it isn't (The Arbiter's plating came to a point right off of the thigh and left the knee exposed.)

B) The posturing of the leg, though Sangheili in nature, could also possible be a human in a squat position. The knee guard itself also highly resembles the MJOLNIR armor, though nothing else about the leg does.

C) More curious than the leg is what it's attached to. Obviously it's not anything human, but it almost looks like a skeleton since you can see through various parts of it. If I didn't know any better, I would say it's probably an exoskeleton. Possibly something that would warp around and conform to the body to further enhance the users abilities (possibly even beyond the chiefs augmented talents.)

D.) It's most certainly not Precuror (or at least the Prisoner) since they're described as being extremely large, having 4 arms, 2 legs, and a tail with barbs at the end. The proportioning of the leg and what I'm assuming is an arm above it are too small to be a match.

E.) I'm going to make a final guess and say it's a Forerunner-designed suit with an exoskeleton component, though if so I would assume they designed it for human use since it doesn't match the concept art we've seen of Forerunner's personal armor. It's possible the Chief will don an armor like this later in the game (Anybody remember the Class XII armor that Tinkerbell mentioned during the Library?) and that the armor we see here is possibly still being held in stasis, which would explain the odd positioning of the leg and why the skeletal structuring of the torso would still be visible.)

F) If the above theory is correct, it makes you wonder how much of Human existence is influenced by Bornstellar and The Librarian for the MJOLNIR armor to come out so similar to a Forerunner suit (and as noted before, identified and ranked as Class III by Guilty Spark.) The theory of the Geas comes back into view. Just as how the Chief's destiny is quite possibly influenced by one such Geas, how do we know others aren't influenced in the same way, such as Dr. Halsey. In Halo, there are no coincidences. She found and even took special interest on the child John-117. She made him team leader. Cortana, based on Dr. Halsey's own cloned brain, picked John above all others because of this "Luck", which I now believe is the Geas guiding his destiny. She had the knowledge to create the MJOLNIR armor both in appearance and in function (as proven by Dr. Halsey's Journal from Halo: Reach.) She had the foresight to include just the right balance and type of augmentations that would allow the Chief to be able to use the MJOLNIR, and in retrospect, possibly this new armor as well.

It's all just theory of course, but the Chief is in a new series and he's definitely due for a new suit and a new look (considering how damaged the armor was in the H4 reveal trailer, I have no doubt he's getting a new suit.) This would explain the design similarities and it definitely puts a purpose into the picture above.

Just my 2 cents.

LickableLemons7
08-29-2011, 12:55 PM
DarkReign...you are truly amazing...what the hell goes on in your mind?!

DarkReign2021
08-29-2011, 03:38 PM
You don't wanna know. Suffice to say it never shuts the hell up and it gets rather claustrophobic and stuffy at times. I would say you ought to try walking a mile in my shoes, but than all that would get me is now you're a mile away with my only pair of shoes and I need those to go to work, so leave my shoes alone!

Barra
08-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Lol funny dark real funny.

Any who maybe this is a war sphinx or some sort of forerunner battle armour/mech. Kinda like the didacts sons (or sons remanants) in the mech thingys.

Could be precursor armour or tech. Be just like halo that this would be a good/friendly item just to confuse us?

Or maybe one of the bias in an ai construct specifically built for it/them.

Anyway the red light reminds me of rampancy for some reason....

MixMaker1
08-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Check this out:

Cryptum, page 120:

"What did they keep here?" I asked, standing close to the Didact, like a child cleaving to his own father for protection.

"Something the Precursors left behind long ago," the Didact said.

The Didact gave [the humans] a narrow glance. "An ancient construct....or a captive," he said. "Nobody knows its origins, but what was confined here terrified all who saw it."

--------------------

Then check out this analysis that I saw on another forum:

The word "construct" really strikes me. Construct implies something that is constructed, created. Like a machine. The Didact clearly knows what the Prisoner is, that it is Precursor, so he wouldn't have used the word "construct" out of turn. "Something the Precursors left behind long ago" implies that the Precursors did, in fact, leave the last of their kind here, that the Prisoner is lying and is not a Precursor, or that the Prisoner is lying and is not the last Precursor. The Didact does know that the ancient Forerunners rose up and killed their forefathers, so it's curious why the Precursors left this particular specimen behind.

Could it be that the Precursors could not all have been "organic?" I say that because we know the Forerunners were a noble species, the Precursors, an Evil species. That's one interesting take, no?

DarkReign2021
08-31-2011, 12:14 AM
It's always a possibility that the thing above is a precursor machination of some sort, but the excerpts from the book that you gave don't really hold any basis or certainty toward that.

First, just as a minor clue in regards to the writing, when a sentence is formed like "An ancient construct....or a captive," it most commonly leads to both guesses being wrong, but more often than not the portion after the inserted pause is closer to being accurate than the first possibility. This is a form of subliminal writing that is designed to make people subconsciously aware of what it is, but on the surface it allows the reader to start wracking their brain to tie together the information they've been given so far. Again, this is a very minor detail and like I said, this isn't always the case, but it is more often than not.

Secondly, As we clearly found out by the end of the book, the entity these excerpts are referring to are in regards to the Prisoner (again, closer in regards to the second suggestions moreso than the first), which we've already been given a description of a physical appearance. As far as any of us knows, we haven't been told whether or not this thing is Organic or Synthetic, but it seems likely to me that the Precursors were more organic than anything else or the Didact would've mentioned something about it already. (Synthetics don't seem to be a big thing in the Halo series past Monitors and Sentinels.)

Again, always a possibility and it's seems pretty likely that it could be a synthetic construct of some sort, but being a Precursor itself doesn't seem likely.

MixMaker1
08-31-2011, 12:32 AM
Then again, we're all blind. We're living amongst mini-precursors everyday (anthropod-shaped bastards):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Arthropoda.jpg/300px-Arthropoda.jpg

ZingZitang
08-31-2011, 06:13 PM
@ Dark -

My thoughts exactly. At first I thought man that looks like Thel's Arbiter Armor, but there are Differences. My next thought was it has to be something of Forerunner Design. It simply must be.

Have you seen some of the New Articles coming out of Halo Fest?

Frankie said they Really Want to Focus on Who John is as a Man, and who Cortana is. Its going to be a more personal Story with John and Cortana, and their Relationship. They're putting a big Focus on the Characters.

They also want people to experience Forerunner Locations/Structures/things that are "Alive" and "not dead and Empty". Clearly the Chief is going to pass through the Portal on the Surface of the Planet, so I think this Further Supports the fact that they will be Entering the Micro Dyson Sphere, and that there May be Forerunner Survivors of some sort inside the Micro-Dyson Sphere.

LickableLemons7
08-31-2011, 08:53 PM
They also want people to experience Forerunner Locations/Structures/things that are "Alive" and "not dead and Empty". Clearly the Chief is going to pass through the Portal on the Surface of the Planet, so I think this Further Supports the fact that they will be Entering the Micro Dyson Sphere, and that there May be Forerunner Survivors of some sort inside the Micro-Dyson Sphere.

I hope they have some forerunner survivors. But what if they are all cracked up and looney? Would that be an excuse to fight them?

ZingZitang
09-01-2011, 08:15 PM
I hope they have some forerunner survivors. But what if they are all cracked up and looney? Would that be an excuse to fight them?
Well, its possible they may have been trapped inside the sphere for around 100,000 years. But I don't think we would Fight the Forerunners.

And looking more at that Picture of the Armor above. I cant shake the Feeling that its something Bad. Maybe its the big Red Menacing light, or the Predatory Stance it seems to be taking. It just looks Evil. Also its presented Very Dramatically in the trailer.

LickableLemons7
09-02-2011, 12:57 PM
And looking more at that Picture of the Armor above. I cant shake the Feeling that its something Bad. Maybe its the big Red Menacing light, or the Predatory Stance it seems to be taking. It just looks Evil. Also its presented Very Dramatically in the trailer.

You know, do you think it would look more like a Precursor if we took the image and flopped it around? So we show the original half on the left and the flopped half on the right. Stick 'em together and BAM! What does DarkReign see?

So now, the red light looks like a pair of eyes, and the thigh/armor part look like mandibles.