PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Ideas

RBmaster9345
08-30-2011, 10:04 PM
In every Halo game there's been at least 1 new weapon introduced, this one wont be any exception. What ideas you guys got of potential weapons we'll see?

FOXmasler
08-30-2011, 10:13 PM
I think it'll be basically all new weapons. The only human weapons are on the ship the chiefs in and he'll obviously leave that fairly quickly. So I'd say Forunner, precursor, or new species weapons mostly. I'm not very creative so i cant really think what they might be.

RBmaster9345
08-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I think it'll be basically all new weapons. The only human weapons are on the ship the chiefs in and he'll obviously leave that fairly quickly. So I'd say Forunner, precursor, or new species weapons mostly. I'm not very creative so i cant really think what they might be.

We have good reason to believe we'll see a lot of old weapons. The fact they showed off the new Warthog model at Halofest means there will at least be remnants of humanity somewhere with vehicles and weapons.

I find it hard to believe they would just throw everything in the series up till now in the trash.

McGoogles
08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Perhaps a Hammer of Dawn type weapon like in Gears of War? Hopefully they bring back the Brute Spike grenades too.

RBmaster9345
08-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Perhaps a Hammer of Dawn type weapon like in Gears of War? Hopefully they bring back the Brute Spike grenades too.

They already have that, the Target Designator. Spike Nades were nice but I wanna see the Beam Rifle come back. That thing, like spike nades, offered a little variety to the same kinda weapon

DarkReign2021
08-31-2011, 12:18 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing something like Half-Life's Gravity gun implemented into the series. We've already seen trace resemblances to it with the Brute Chieftain's Special Attack in Halo Wars, so I would say the addition of a gun with similar abilities wouldn't be too farfetched.

XoNiNjAlEoNoX
09-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Scarab gun

RBmaster9345
09-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Scarab gun

Lol, cept it technically ain't new and a practical use would be impossible

MixMaker1
09-01-2011, 10:05 PM
In Halo Legends the forerunners had a weapon which was like a Laser stream that intertwined. Almost reminded me of the Ghostbuster's proton packs. I believe that's the only type of weapons (outside of Halo's themselves haha) that we've seen, physically.

It was a white, claw shaped device that fired a bright blue bolt of energy. Upon activation the weapon generated what appeared to be a blade of some sort, capable, as previously stated, of firing bolts of energy. When multiple weapons were used in conjunction, they could apparently combine their energy bolts to form a single large blade-like projectile that sliced through the air.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100208214212/halo/images/7/7f/Forerunner_weapon_%28deactivated%29.jpg

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100102151218/halo/images/archive/e/ee/20100208213902%21Forerunner_weapon.jpg

RBmaster9345
09-02-2011, 01:43 AM
In Halo Legends the forerunners had a weapon which was like a Laser stream that intertwined. Almost reminded me of the Ghostbuster's proton packs. I believe that's the only type of weapons (outside of Halo's themselves haha) that we've seen, physically.

Think thats kinda akin to the Sentinel Beam, the weapon created for dealing with the flood. Wouldnt classify it as "new" persay but nice idea

MixMaker1
09-02-2011, 02:15 AM
Think thats kinda akin to the Sentinel Beam, the weapon created for dealing with the flood. Wouldnt classify it as "new" persay but nice idea
I posted two photos above.

At least it gives us an idea of what we might expect. Either way, I'm sure it will be very interesting to see how they implement Forerunner tech. They might even implement it in with UNSC weaponry depending on how much time has passed etc.

RBmaster9345
09-02-2011, 02:18 AM
I posted two photos above.

I saw, just looks like the handheld version of what the sentinel beam is. Before we picked up the working beam component from the sentinels but the ones in the pics are specifically designed for personal use.

LickableLemons7
09-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I'd like to see a portal gun...just kidding. :p (Although it wouldn't actually be too bad, would it? Halo 4, a first person puzzle action adventure, trying to get around different forerunner structures with only a portal gun to help you? But Valve would definately sue 343)

I'd actually like to see more needler oriented things, like a needler sniper rifle, or a needler that's more like a heavy weapon...you guys can tell I like needlers.

DarkReign2021
09-06-2011, 12:40 AM
I don't think Valve has any kind of patent on Portal technology or even portal guns that would allow them to sue. Prey was the first game to really implement portal technology (at least in this generation.) Portal was just the first game to give you a gun to control the portals yourself.

Besides, who says Portal guns have to be used in puzzle-based scenarios? As long as you give it appropriate limitations (timed use, slow or non-rechargeable battery, temporary portal tunnel life, etc...) I can definitely see a benefit in having the Portal gun in combat scenarios. Open a portal behind a group of enemies and send a co-op person to eliminate that Pesky Sangheili or perhaps pop a grenade into a place on the opposite side of the level to distract them while you sneak in to grab a better vantage point without them knowing. Range would definitely need to be limited on a portal gun though or otherwise people would just be phasing past fights and it would make the game way too easy.

As for Needler weapons, I agree on needing more variety. I always thought it was odd that the covenant had strictly plasma-based weapons and than one random gun that shoots pink needles just tagging along. The Carbine was equally amiss, but fortunately it was evolved (devolved?) into the Needle Rifle in Halo: Reach. For those that don't remember or don't know, though, in Halo 2 the Sentinel Enforcer (think Sentinel, but in flying tank form) also had a weapon that was very similar to the needler rounds except it was more like being hit by slugs than needles. This thing was typically known as a super needler gun and lends to the idea that Needler-based weapons might just be more Forerunner than Covenant in nature (The covies commonly adapted Forerunner tech into their own devices, but rarely used actual Forerunner tech itself (Known exceptions include the Forerunner ship that was powering High Charity and the attempted use of the Forerunner fleet that was ultimately thwarted by Anders in Halo Wars.

AK Punk
09-06-2011, 02:56 AM
I'm hoping for a covenant shotgun, the sword is cool but come on PLASMA SHOTGUN how cool would that be?

RBmaster9345
09-06-2011, 03:18 AM
I'm hoping for a covenant shotgun, the sword is cool but come on PLASMA SHOTGUN how cool would that be?

Plasma shotty eh? I could get behind that

Topsy Kretts 18
09-13-2011, 01:40 AM
This is kind of an idea that goes along with new weapons. They should make kill streaks like call of duty (don't get me wrong, I don't want Halo 4 to be anything like COD). And the only way to use the new guns is to get them in your kill streaks. Although, this idea could turn out to be good or bad. If they were to do this, they should put it in the beta and see how the players like it because you don't want the killstreaks to be overpowered like they are in Modern Warfare 2.

RBmaster9345
09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
This is kind of an idea that goes along with new weapons. They should make kill streaks like call of duty (don't get me wrong, I don't want Halo 4 to be anything like COD). And the only way to use the new guns is to get them in your kill streaks. Although, this idea could turn out to be good or bad. If they were to do this, they should put it in the beta and see how the players like it because you don't want the killstreaks to be overpowered like they are in Modern Warfare 2.

This is Halo, it should be NOTHING like Cod. No to killstreaks but I appreciate you contributing though

halorvb13
09-14-2011, 08:30 PM
I love the ideas of a plasma shotgun. I've always wanted to duel wield a shotgun and swords. Also a protl gun might be cool. Maybe you can shoot a portal at an enemie stick it to them and have them be sucked into oblivion. I'd also like to see more flame based weapons. In video games, I'm a slight pyro. And by slight, i mean run for the flame thrower to catch everyone, including myself, on fire.

DarkReign2021
09-14-2011, 10:58 PM
This is Halo, it should be NOTHING like Cod. No to killstreaks but I appreciate you contributing though

I wasn't trying to be nice and wasn't gonna say anything, but this about sums up my feelings on "CoD integration in the Halo universe." Next people will be back to wanting Iron Sights like people were fighting for with Reach.

I dunno how I feel about a Plasma Shotgun. This really gets back into the issue of redundant weaponry that Halo 2 and 3 suffered from.

BR = Carbine
Plasma Rifle = Brute Plasma Rifle
Shotgun = Mauler
Plasma Sword = Gravity Hammer
Sniper Rifle = Beam Rifle
Rocket Launcher = Fuel Rod Gun

I understand the need to widen the berth of weapons available for variety's sake in multiplayer as well as to enable a balanced battlefield between Humans and Covenant in the Campaign, but I don't think clones are a necessary route to take. Halo Reach did a great job in diversifying their weapons.

DMR and Needle Rifle were very similar, but the sacrifice of power and speed for the 3-round explosion was a valuable tradeoff at times.

The Plasma cannon had straight-aim rounds for ease of targeting, but the bouncing effect with a held trigger and the EMP effect made the grenade launcher a useful tool for a variably different purpose.

The list goes on, but none of the weapons in Reach really had any clone characteristics (except for maybe the Plasma Rifle and Plasma Carbine.)

If they were to do a Plasma Shotgun, they need to take in characteristics that would make a plashotty unique. Perhaps instead of extreme close-up power, what about firing sparkler rounds that are weaker against the actual player health, but are strong against electronics (vehicles and shields), utilize a wider spread, and have the added bonus of slowing down a person caught within the blast radius (shorting out the player's armor temporarily.)

FREE FLAMES117
09-17-2011, 03:23 PM
all i care about is the smg coming back

RBmaster9345
09-17-2011, 03:42 PM
all i care about is the smg coming back

Unlikley but it would be cool to have back

DarkReign2021
09-17-2011, 07:55 PM
The ODST SMG :D Silenced and possessing a scope. That thing was AMAZING!!!

TavoChamploo92
10-07-2011, 06:59 PM
No new weapons...but attachments. That would be sick.

RBmaster9345
10-07-2011, 07:46 PM
No new weapons...but attachments. That would be sick.

This aint Cod, nor should it be but being able to customize the weapons the slightest bit would be cool.

TavoChamploo92
10-07-2011, 08:46 PM
This aint Cod, nor should it be but being able to customize the weapons the slightest bit would be cool.

Or maybe even Alternate Firing :eek:

RBmaster9345
10-12-2011, 02:48 PM
I wanna be able to throw the Grav Hammer like Carolina in the latest RvB episode. That'd be so much fun pegging people in the face like that

LickableLemons7
10-12-2011, 09:23 PM
(NEW) Halo 4 Warfare & Weapons (Speculation) - Season 3: Update 6 - Halo4Follower - YouTube

Hey guys, take a look at this. Just some speculation.

Ty-Rex
10-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Why does that video make me think that guy has barely played Halo at all?

Also, lol, "centennial beam".

DarkReign2021
10-13-2011, 03:43 AM
I LOL'd at the "Centenial beam."

As for the that entire video, why do I get the feeling that this is a 12 year old with a voice mask on? Unfortunately the only thing he had any basis on was the Pistol and the Reaper (though his guess on the Reaper being the new sniper weapon is, I'm guessing, way off. I think the side-view images at the bottom were meant to be used as a size comparison, not functionality.) As for the rest of it, it was just a bunch of "I want, I want..." He wants a cooler looking Spartan Laser. He wants a turret that doesn't overheat. I can play that game:

I want a pheromone that attracts the Flood and causes them to rush your enemies so you can conserve ammo (anybody remember the pheromone grenades for the antlions in Half-Life 2?)

I want a needler grenade (not spike grenade) that you can stick to an enemy and, upon eruption, launches needler rounds in every direction, which causes surrounding enemies to take more damage (any enemy in close-enough proximity would take a larger number of needles and explode.)

I want some kind of mech-like vehicle that would not only be great for stomping, machine-gunning, and rocketing your enemies, but would also make for a great gametype all on it's on like Halo meets Mechwarrior (You know, since Bungie dropped the ball on giving us a Saber gametype.

I want the ability to rig traps using guns and grenades so that enemies can fall into an ambush instead of you bursting in on them.

See, I'm pretty good at this game. lol

MixMaker1
12-14-2011, 10:25 PM
I LOL'd at the "Centenial beam."

As for the that entire video, why do I get the feeling that this is a 12 year old with a voice mask on? Unfortunately the only thing he had any basis on was the Pistol and the Reaper (though his guess on the Reaper being the new sniper weapon is, I'm guessing, way off. I think the side-view images at the bottom were meant to be used as a size comparison, not functionality.) As for the rest of it, it was just a bunch of "I want, I want..." He wants a cooler looking Spartan Laser. He wants a turret that doesn't overheat. I can play that game:

I want a pheromone that attracts the Flood and causes them to rush your enemies so you can conserve ammo (anybody remember the pheromone grenades for the antlions in Half-Life 2?)

I want a needler grenade (not spike grenade) that you can stick to an enemy and, upon eruption, launches needler rounds in every direction, which causes surrounding enemies to take more damage (any enemy in close-enough proximity would take a larger number of needles and explode.)

I want some kind of mech-like vehicle that would not only be great for stomping, machine-gunning, and rocketing your enemies, but would also make for a great gametype all on it's on like Halo meets Mechwarrior (You know, since Bungie dropped the ball on giving us a Saber gametype.

I want the ability to rig traps using guns and grenades so that enemies can fall into an ambush instead of you bursting in on them.

See, I'm pretty good at this game. lol
The needler grenade idea is epic.

LickableLemons7
12-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Give meh all teh tactical nukes.

kangarooseatbelt
12-19-2011, 12:38 AM
In every Halo game there's been at least 1 new weapon introduced, this one wont be any exception. What ideas you guys got of potential weapons we'll see?

Polychromatic Dragon Rifle. No question.

theNomad
01-05-2012, 11:30 PM
I'd love to be able to remote control my own 343gs styled monitor when playing huge maps 8v8/12v12 (16v16 we can dream right ;) ).

I'd make it part surveillance (shows you a small window what it sees, neat to see if anyones around so you could warn team mates) then it'd have a time limited explosion (only about as strong as a grenade) if the player waits too long to detonate it by himself.

:uzi: Imagine sending it behind a wall or into a barracks knowing full well it'll clear enemies or have them running so you and your team could snipe them, an all in one campers solution.

theNomad
01-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Give meh all teh tactical nukes.

I'd hate to have superior powered weapons like a target locator or a mac blast. Imagine the scramble for the item, everyone would be killing each other to get an item that powerful, its bad enough now when you get a shoulder slap for getting a rocket launcher or sniper before someone else.

bethelyoda
01-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Weapon speculation is ridiculous.... No matter what they do with weapons, the game's still likely going to blow. I'm a Halo fan, and have loved the canon thus far, but seriously, there comes a time when we all need to just let go of a franchise. Too often nowadays, companies just stretch their brand because they know it's an easy buck.
...for Christ's sake, just look at all the rehashes that Hollywood is releasing. Footloose, Total Recall, Spiderman, etc....

MixMaker1
01-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Weapon speculation is ridiculous.... No matter what they do with weapons, the game's still likely going to blow. I'm a Halo fan, and have loved the canon thus far, but seriously, there comes a time when we all need to just let go of a franchise. Too often nowadays, companies just stretch their brand because they know it's an easy buck.
...for Christ's sake, just look at all the rehashes that Hollywood is releasing. Footloose, Total Recall, Spiderman, etc....
Not ridiculous at all.

And if you've read the Canon you would know they're expanding this franchise out to make Halo 1-3 look like a spec of grain in the sand. The scope is unreal.

Try reading Forerunner saga. It's great. But you're entitled to your own opinion. I have faith in 343i.

bethelyoda
01-06-2012, 12:47 AM
I read all books released up to ...I think it was called Cole Protocol. I've loved the books, and likely would have stayed with the series. However, Reach is such a disappointment for me. Not due to the game's story, though I do have issues with the way Halos 1-3 played out, and THEN they decide to tell us that Cortana is a Forerunner AI....grrr. I'm disappointed in the way that Bungie treated Nylund and their fans. They worked alongside Nylund in the writing of The Fall of Reach, expanding the Halo Universe in fantastic ways. (I'm not looking to get into the argument of how Microsoft was officially the one that licensed the work out to Nylund, or anything of that sort...because regardless, Bungie profited) However, once Bungie was out from under Microsoft's umbrella, they decide to revisit the story. It's as if they said, "...forget Nylund, here's what we belive to be a better story." (....poor Kat, I'm sure she would have had a more realistic death in Nylund's version)

I have heard some decent stuff about the Forerunner saga, but I don't expect to ever read it. The Halo books are starting to become the Star Wars books. Too many books being released. Too much expansion on a universe, and it's created large holes in the canon.

I truly am hopeful of 343's delivery of a solid story.

MixMaker1
01-06-2012, 12:49 AM
I read all books released up to ...I think it was called Cole Protocol. I've loved the books, and likely would have stayed with the series. However, Reach is such a disappointment for me. Not due to the game's story, though I do have issues with the way Halos 1-3 played out, and THEN they decide to tell us that Cortana is a Forerunner AI....grrr. I'm disappointed in the way that Bungie treated Nylund and their fans. They worked alongside Nylund in the writing of The Fall of Reach, expanding the Halo Universe in fantastic ways. (I'm not looking to get into the argument of how Microsoft was officially the one that licensed the work out to Nylund, or anything of that sort...because regardless, Bungie profited) However, once Bungie was out from under Microsoft's umbrella, they decide to revisit the story. It's as if they said, "...forget Nylund, here's what we belive to be a better story." (....poor Kat, I'm sure she would have had a more realistic death in Nylund's version)

I have heard some decent stuff about the Forerunner saga, but I don't expect to ever read it. The Halo books are starting to become the Star Wars books. Too many books being released. Too much expansion on a universe, and it's created large holes in the canon.

I truly am hopeful of 343's delivery of a solid story.
That's a fair assessment. I would highly suggest the Forerunner saga. I'm reading the 2nd book (Primordium) right now. They are expanding a LOT, but it excites me that 343i is canonizing all of their material (unlike, as you mentioned, what Bungie did).

I have faith. Either way it will be VERY interesting.

bethelyoda
01-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Damn, that was fast. ....and I'm much comforted in the fact that you're mature with the way you talk. I was really worried that you were going to argue like a Jr. High cheerleader.

I will from henceforth listen to what you say with one less grain of salt. :)

MixMaker1
01-06-2012, 02:01 AM
I love this series - but I call it like I see it.

;)