PDA

View Full Version : Halo 4 in trouble?

Foxxy kyle
09-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Okay now as we all know Bungie is no longer making this game and it has now been turned to 343 industries, Halo Creative Director Ryan Payton who has been working on the series now since the first, and even transferred over to 343 industries to work on this title. He is not only leaving Halo 4, but also Microsoft's Halo arm, 343 Industries altogether.

Quoted from him when he decided to leave the Halo 4 project,

The Halo I wanted to build was fundamentally different and I don't think I had built enough credibility to see such a crazy endeavor through.

This doesn't mean Payton thinks Halo 4 will be a bad game. The core team is top flight, and they are there because they want to make the best Halo they can. It's just not the Halo Payton wanted to make.

Once the new company started to make the new game, Payton went into a severe depression saying,

For somebody who loves this industry as much as I do and know how lucky I've been, I never thought I'd get to a point where I was so drained. That was when I knew I had to do something else.

After being with the Halo franchise for so many years and then even get transferred over to 343 industries to continue the series, then goes into a depression and leaves saying its not the Halo he wanted to make.

Are you guys concerned about this? What do you guys think? Ive never been a fan of the series but I know there are a ton of people that are. What are your opinions?

http://kotaku.com/5837475/

RBmaster9345
09-09-2011, 02:12 AM
Buggah. I hope this is nothing to worry about and the game will be fine but I gotta say I have my suspiscions due to the torch being passed.

DarkReign2021
09-09-2011, 03:55 AM
I don't think Ryan has actually been with the project for very long at all. The article itself says he was one of the public faces of the development team behind Metal Gear Solid 4. Obviously he wasn't working for both companies at the same time. I'm fairly certain he came over after MGS4 was finished, which would've placed him in the company in time to work on ODST. The team that developed it was kept relatively small, though, so it's more likely he was involved with Reach's development from the get-go.

To be perfectly honest I don't think he has much basis in the development of the Halo world. Unlike a lot of the names we see thrown around such as Jason Jones, Brian Jarrard, Joseph Staten, Michael Wu, Shi Ki Wang, Frank O'Connor, Alex Serropian, etc, Ryan simply doesn't register on the radar and the only reason he's getting picked up now is because he's quitting such a huge project prematurely.

As for his purpose behind quitting, this is a very misleading topic and the way the articles have been written try to make it sound like the game might not be good, which is absolutely not the case. You have to consider how many different kinds of games and gamers there are in the world. Halo is very versatile in that it can move in and out of a number of different paths if need be.

Just to put it in perspective, is it a shooter or an action game or adventure game? Is it a First Person Shooter or a Third Person shooter? Is it Run N' Gun or Tactical Squad-based? Is it focused on Single Player or Multiplayer more? Is it hyper-realistic or is it still rooted in it's unique style of gameplay?

There's any number of changes, minor to major, that could affect ones outlook on the game he's creating. If I had to guess, I would say Halo 4 is putting Multiplayer in the backseat and letting the Campaign take the reigns this time around. I would also venture a guess to say that the new game is going to be less "Shoot your way to the Objective" and more focused on actual progressive narrative with more cutscenes, scripted in-game events, etc...

I can understand how something like this would alienate some of the developers behind the game just like it would alienate a chunk of the fanbase to find out that the next major Halo game put more work into the Campaign than the Multiplayer aspect of the game. Over the years people have grown comfortable with this Deathmatch-toting Sci-Fi series and when a lot of people think of Halo this is what they perceive it as. To go in with that notion and find out the game is trying to be less like Serious Sam or Duke Nukem and is trying to be more like Deus Ex or Half-Life 2 is bound to disappoint a fair few people.

I myself remain optimistic that this is the situation at hand. If anything, I like to solace in the face that this could very well mean we're getting a campaign that's 50 hours long and makes the scale of the Original Halo trilogy look like a kid playing with Legos.

Ty-Rex
09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I myself remain optimistic that this is the situation at hand. If anything, I like to solace in the face that this could very well mean we're getting a campaign that's 50 hours long and makes the scale of the Original Halo trilogy look like a kid playing with Legos.
That would be so crazy. I can't even imagine an FPS that's over 10 hours that doesn't have RPG elements.

I would totally love this to happen, though. I still have fun beating all the Halo games' campaigns over and over, except ODST, to this day.

DarkReign2021
09-10-2011, 05:50 PM
You didn't enjoy ODST's campaign either? Was it just the New Mombasa segment or the entire campaign itself or something else in specific?

I personally loved ODST (minus the lack of Firefight matchmaking. That kinda killed it for me.) It was my second favorite campaign of the six after Halo: CE. I had a blast playing through the Campaign and really loved the mood that New Mombasa set during the evening segments. The quiet and emptiness of the city had a very Film Noir feel to it (The only thing I would've done different is to include random civilians from time to time as well as the occasional skirmish-in-progress between Covies and marine platoons to show that even though Regret had already fled, the war was still very much going on in the city below.)

I can understand why a lot of the fans of the series wouldn't like this aspect though (just like I understand why a lot didn't like Halo Wars.) Halo has always been about fast-paced and constant skirmishes. Make the player do anything outside of fighting and the average Halo/CoD/BF player is going to get bored. (I've noticed people that liked ODST are typically fans of games like Deus Ex and System/BioShock where the action is frequently broken up with a number of different gameplay approaches. Not to say this is always the case, but more often than not I think.)

MixMaker1
09-12-2011, 09:24 PM
I agree with you regarding ODST. The Film Noir approach was very nice. When you found the clues, the levels themselves were amazing. I thought it was one of the most varied Halo titles, for sure. There was a LOT of variety.

Firefight was MUCH better than Reach as well. Despite the lack of MM (which obviously was a MAJOR disappointment), it wasn't a spawn-trapping game. FF in Reach is very much about spawn killing the enemies. Anyone who went for the "Endure" achievement knows ODST requires communication, skill and patience.

I got into ODST late, but it was one of my favorite Halo games. I'm glad they didn't continue the formula, but it was a nice change of pace with an amazing storyline and uniqueness to it! I loved it.

DarkReign2021
09-12-2011, 10:56 PM
In my 10 years of playing Halo I have to say going for Endure and Deja Vu has been my best experience in the series yet. Lord knows it wasn't easy beating Endure (dare I say I wish it had been legendary instead of Heroic, but I'm glad it wasn't at the same time) but the 4 hours that my friends and I were forced to "endure" while maintaining constant communication and a careful distribution of medkits and weapon drops had us on edge the entire time.

Honestly I never was able to put a finger on it until now, but you are absolutely right about the Spawn killing in Reach. That was the problem I had (along with the predictable unit spawns. Who really thought having solid Unggoy, Kigyar, Jiralhanae, Skirmisher, Sangheili/Lekgolo spawns was a good idea. Any smart assault would involve mixed units. The skirmishers were the only fun wave to fight because of their extreme variety and even they mostly just ran at you like a flood.) In ODST you never camped a spawn point. Enemies spawned through random entrances (none of this teleporting into the field crap) and there was enough variety and enough firepower that you were going to keep your ass away from there anyway.

Talking about ODST has made me want to go play it again. Might go see if anybodyi s looking to get Endure or even just some 200,000k cheevos and give them a hand (sadly that's the only way to find people playing anymore.)

Topsy Kretts 18
09-13-2011, 01:48 AM
It concerns me a little bit, but I think 343 knows how important the success of Halo 4 needs to be in order to save the franchise (after almost everyone hated Reach). I think it will still be a great game.

FOXmasler
09-13-2011, 05:55 AM
It concerns me a little bit, but I think 343 knows how important the success of Halo 4 needs to be in order to save the franchise (after almost everyone hated Reach). I think it will still be a great game.

I dont get why. Reach was great and most of the people I know loved it.
O well, haters gonna hate.

I think people just want the chief back, and they're getting that. I really dont see how 343 could mess Halo 4 up, just make it Halo 3 with a new story and new maps and people will be happy.

DarkReign2021
09-13-2011, 08:22 PM
^actually the entire reason they moved away from the Chief is because they found people were growing tired of the Chief. Sure people want to know what happens to him after Halo 3, but people that are genuinely interested in the continuation of the campaign and not just another multiplayer component typically want to know on a more widescale basis. We want to know what this Forerunner world is. We want to know more about the Forerunner in general. What happened to Dr. Halsey and the other spartans? Whats are the war-driven Sangheili going to do now that the war has ended? There is so much going on in the Halo universe and the Master Chief is only a very small part of the overall picture. That was the purpose of Halo Wars, Halo: Reach, ODST, and every Halo novel past First Strike. None of them have even included the Chief in a minor role, let alone giving him reign of the storyline like the 3 primary games did. (That's not to say we don't want the Chief back. It's just nice to have gotten away from him and Cortana for a bit while we explored other pockets of the universe.

As for the re-packaging of Halo 3 into Halo 4, this is exactly what the developers DON'T want to do. The Halo franchise is admittedly growing stale. It needs something new. Something fresh to give it that feeling of being. Halo 1-3 were Bungie's baby. Now 343i wants to take it to the next level and make the new trilogy an entirely new thing with it's own appeal and it's own uniqueness to give it life. Whether that means new gameplay mechanics, stronger focus on Campaign Narrative, or major upgrades to the multiplayer we don't know yet, but it definitely isn't going to be just a rehash of the last game.

FOXmasler
09-13-2011, 10:11 PM
^I get that most people who love halo as much as most of us on this forum do are more plot driven than most fans(at least I am) but the casual player that makes up a majority of the market that will actually buy the game will be satisfied with a decent campaign and decent multiplayer.

Either way I don't think it's in trouble, 343 seems to be handling Reach just fine. Granted that's not the same as making their own game but to me it shows that they are serious about this.

Topsy Kretts 18
09-14-2011, 12:01 AM
I dont get why. Reach was great and most of the people I know loved it.
O well, haters gonna hate.

I think people just want the chief back, and they're getting that. I really dont see how 343 could mess Halo 4 up, just make it Halo 3 with a new story and new maps and people will be happy.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Reach. I play it so much that I'm about to be an Eclipse. I was just saying the majority of players that bought it didn't really like it.

Darkforce412
09-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Okay now as we all know Bungie is no longer making this game and it has now been turned to 343 industries, Halo Creative Director Ryan Payton who has been working on the series now since the first, and even transferred over to 343 industries to work on this title. He is not only leaving Halo 4, but also Microsoft's Halo arm, 343 Industries altogether.

Quoted from him when he decided to leave the Halo 4 project,

Once the new company started to make the new game, Payton went into a severe depression saying 343 industries was half of bungie so HALO 4 is still good right?

After being with the Halo franchise for so many years and then even get transferred over to 343 industries to continue the series, then goes into a depression and leaves saying its not the Halo he wanted to make.

Are you guys concerned about this? What do you guys think? Ive never been a fan of the series but I know there are a ton of people that are. What are your opinions?

http://kotaku.com/5837475/

wait wait wait wait a minute i thought half of 343 industries was bungie so halo 4 is still good to go right?

DarkReign2021
09-14-2011, 02:40 AM
^I get that most people who love halo as much as most of us on this forum do are more plot driven than most fans(at least I am) but the casual player that makes up a majority of the market that will actually buy the game will be satisfied with a decent campaign and decent multiplayer.

I agree that the casual fanbase is easy to please and that would be all they need, but the reality is that the Halo series does not cater to the casual crowds. The issue with Casual players is they aren't the lifeblood of a long-living series like what Halo is built to be. Casual gamers are the kind of people that will buy the game and play it a couple of times, but as soon as another game comes out they abandon it. They are the cash cow for an annual series. This is why Call of Duty has annual releases. Activision knows everytime a new CoD releases the casuals will rush out and buy it to play the short new campaign and the same basic multiplayer offerings that are made to look slightly better than what they already have.

Halo is typically a 3-4 year endeavor. When a new game is released, it's built from the ground up with a new engine, new servers, and new features and options. It's built this way because it has to withstand the other games on the market long enough for the next game to be released 3-4 years down the road. Casuals obviously aren't going to stick with that, so the only way the Halo franchise can survive is by pleasing it's dedicated fanbase.

If the developers behind Halo only cared about pleasing the casuals, Halo Wars would've never been attempted and both Halo 3: ODST and Halo: CEA would have multiplayer offerings. These three games are proof of the creativity and inspiration behind the series and a good sign that anything we see regarding future games is going to be nothing short of ambitious and unique in their own way.

SUPER YISHMEEN
09-14-2011, 02:53 AM
IMO Halo ended at 3. I was cool with the ending but now they are making 3 more??? Bungies not making it so I will probably not be getting them.

Foxxy kyle
09-14-2011, 10:24 PM
wait wait wait wait a minute i thought half of 343 industries was bungie so halo 4 is still good to go right?

The company Bungie is no longer making Halo series and said they were going to start a huge project thats going to take around 10 to make. So they handed the project to 343. Now a few of the people that created the Halo series did move over to 343 to continue, but im not sure how many. At least that's my understanding.

DarkReign2021
09-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Bungie's 10-year contract with Activision is encompassing a number of sequels or if the rumors of an MMO are true, than 10 years of content, maintenance, and support, not one game that's going to take 10 years to make. lol. We don't need another Duke Nukem Forever on our hands.

That said, when Bungie moved on to their new world, there were certain members that still felt they weren't ready to leave Halo behind yet. These people went over to the newly-formed 343i, which at first was supposed to be a middleman for the franchise that was responsible for finding writers, directors, developers, etc... to create Halo content in any number of forms. They were refitted for personal development, however, and now they are personally developing Halo 4.

The majority of the people that moved over from Bungie were concept artists and Public Relations managers. Like I said, 343i was supposed to be a middle man. They were geared toward marketing the series, producing the advertisements, and managing Waypoint. The actual creation process was supposed to be left to others (like for instance, Frank O'Connor approached Greg Bear on the Forerunner trilogy shortly after 343i was formed. All of the authors in Halo: Evolutions as well as the animation teams for the Halo Legends shorts were also scouted out by 343i.)

Since they were refitted to be actual developers themselves, they obviously needed to bring in coders, level architects, animators, etc... to represent a full development team. Whether or not any of those extras were brought in from Bungie is unknown.

Foxxy kyle
09-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Bungie's 10-year contract with Activision is encompassing a number of sequels or if the rumors of an MMO are true, than 10 years of content, maintenance, and support, not one game that's going to take 10 years to make. lol. We don't need another Duke Nukem Forever on our hands.

That said, when Bungie moved on to their new world, there were certain members that still felt they weren't ready to leave Halo behind yet. These people went over to the newly-formed 343i, which at first was supposed to be a middleman for the franchise that was responsible for finding writers, directors, developers, etc... to create Halo content in any number of forms. They were refitted for personal development, however, and now they are personally developing Halo 4.

The majority of the people that moved over from Bungie were concept artists and Public Relations managers. Like I said, 343i was supposed to be a middle man. They were geared toward marketing the series, producing the advertisements, and managing Waypoint. The actual creation process was supposed to be left to others (like for instance, Frank O'Connor approached Greg Bear on the Forerunner trilogy shortly after 343i was formed. All of the authors in Halo: Evolutions as well as the animation teams for the Halo Legends shorts were also scouted out by 343i.)

Since they were refitted to be actual developers themselves, they obviously needed to bring in coders, level architects, animators, etc... to represent a full development team. Whether or not any of those extras were brought in from Bungie is unknown.

Well I guess you just made my post look terrible lol....You know much more about the situation than me clearly :p

DarkReign2021
09-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Not trying to one up anybody. Your're post did just fine covering the points. I'm just the talkative, wordy fella with the little details. TBH, more people will probably read your response than mine. It's the TL;DR version but it covers all of the same details.

FOXmasler
09-15-2011, 07:00 AM
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Reach. I play it so much that I'm about to be an Eclipse. I was just saying the majority of players that bought it didn't really like it.

Lol, sorry i didnt mean you at all. I just do see a lot of hate for Reach and I love it. I was referring to haters in general, not anyone specifically. I'm also a die hard COD fan(what? someone who likes halo AND cod? Blasphemy!) so i spent a lot more time on Black Ops than reach so while im 14th prestige in black ops im only a commander grade 3 in reach.

Ty-Rex
09-19-2011, 04:07 AM
You didn't enjoy ODST's campaign either? Was it just the New Mombasa segment or the entire campaign itself or something else in specific?
Kinda what bothered me was pretty much no major thing going on, I guess. Like in the original trilogy, there's this really huge scale of danger and being the hero and stuff; you have to stop the Halos from firing. In ODST, you're just some guys who are basically background characters who we've never had any connection to before. All you end up doing is helping the hero in the shadows along the way.

It was just odd to me. And I really didn't care for the whole hub world New Mombasa had going on. I think if it was done right it could have been more fun to go around triggering missions, but it just ended up being almost an extended, playable loading screen between actual levels.

I personally loved ODST (minus the lack of Firefight matchmaking. That kinda killed it for me.)In hindsight, I really think Bungie had it right not allowing Firefight matchmaking. I had tons of fun playing with my friends, and I know with randoms, it would end up being... well... how Reach's firefight matchmaking is now.

It was my second favorite campaign of the six after Halo: CE. I had a blast playing through the Campaign and really loved the mood that New Mombasa set during the evening segments. The quiet and emptiness of the city had a very Film Noir feel to itSee, Bungie kept telling us we would feel this film noir atmosphere, and I guess they succeed in that with the music and setting, but the whole "being a detective" aspect of it never came through to me. I never felt like I was piecing things together or finding clues, I always just felt like I was pressing X to play the game. This whole feeling made the film noir aspect seem totally pointless to me.

(The only thing I would've done different is to include random civilians from time to time as well as the occasional skirmish-in-progress between Covies and marine platoons to show that even though Regret had already fled, the war was still very much going on in the city below.)This would have been a great addition. Not those awful civilians that Reach had, just people that were scattered around the city who you could interact with and ask about what had happened to them.

I can understand why a lot of the fans of the series wouldn't like this aspect though (just like I understand why a lot didn't like Halo Wars.) I didn't like Halo Wars mainly because I am absolutely terrible at RTSs and my mind breaks down when I have to play them. I multi-task pretty much non-stop at work, but I can't do it in an RTS, even an easy one, to save my life. My friend pretty much carried me through the entire game.

Halo has always been about fast-paced and constant skirmishes. Make the player do anything outside of fighting and the average Halo/CoD/BF player is going to get bored.(I've noticed people that liked ODST are typically fans of games like Deus Ex and System/BioShock where the action is frequently broken up with a number of different gameplay approaches. Not to say this is always the case, but more often than not I think.)I wouldn't have any problems with the gameplay getting broken up by story if the story was in the least bit compelling. ODST's story did absolutely nothing for me. Like I said earlier, there's no real feeling of importance to anything you are doing throughout the entire game. Buck and Dare's romance, if you can even call it that, felt really awkward and not interesting at all. And as for the rest of the cast, well, I couldn't tell you any of their names or remember a single thing they did. They had about as much personality as any Halo NPC marine. They were completely boring and I just didn't care at all about them or their mission.

All that being said, ODST had a phenomenal soundtrack. It's music is really unbelievable and made the New Mombasa parts bearable for me.

I'm just the talkative, wordy fella with the little details. TBH, more people will probably read your response than mine.
I greatly prefer overly wordy posts over short ones. You can see that the person writing them actually put some effort into replying.

DarkReign2021
09-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Kinda what bothered me was pretty much no major thing going on, I guess. Like in the original trilogy, there's this really huge scale of danger and being the hero and stuff; you have to stop the Halos from firing. In ODST, you're just some guys who are basically background characters who we've never had any connection to before. All you end up doing is helping the hero in the shadows along the way.

This is a point that's really hard for me to take a stance on. I liked stepping out of the chief's shoes and I like learning about the other happenings around the Halo universe no matter how big or how small, but if the story doesn't feel like it's done right, I tend to end up hating it. I really like the story in ODST and I like the Datapads and Terminals. But at the same time stories like The Cole Protocol, Uprising, and Second Sunrise over New Mombasa (the Halo Graphic Novel) just bored the hell out of me. They were interesting at first, but the lack of any kind of dramatic twist or climax bugged me. At least in ODST you had the buildup to the point where you discover Vergil is actually one of the aliens and you needed to get him out alive. I think the biggest fault in ODST's campaign was that the story climaxed and ended at the same time. We never did and still don't know what Vergil did to help us win the war. One or two more levels focusing on what he did while the Chief was romping around during Halo 3 would've been much appreciated (and it would've given you at least some sense of the importance you felt you were missing.)

It was just odd to me. And I really didn't care for the whole hub world New Mombasa had going on. I think if it was done right it could have been more fun to go around triggering missions, but it just ended up being almost an extended, playable loading screen between actual levels.

I guess that's really a matter of preference. Some people prefer load-screens while others prefer having something to play in-between. HUB worlds are always my favorite part in any game (KOTOR, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, etc...) but I can understand some people not liking them. They really need a number of activities and people to bring it to life or else it feel like a shell. Perhaps if the section of New Mombasa had been shorter or featured more vehicles (I did appreciate the addition of the Mongoose, but it sucked you needed a ton of terminals to get it) it would've been more tolerated. And of course, like I said, more skirmishes and occassional civilian and marine inclusion would've tightened up the HUB a little bit.) Maybe even the addition of some side missions (though I dunno how you could justify going out to find a child's missing kitten in the middle of a war-ravaged city. Would be amusing to say the least.)

In hindsight, I really think Bungie had it right not allowing Firefight matchmaking. I had tons of fun playing with my friends, and I know with randoms, it would end up being... well... how Reach's firefight matchmaking is now.

I will never deny the superiority of playing any game with friends over randoms. Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo: Reach, and even Halo Wars were more fun when you had friends on the same team. But I also have to point out that 4 of those 5 games also had matchmaking. It's obviously not as good, but having the option there makes it an option available. In the case of ODST it would've been nice since most of the people on my friends list at the time never even bought ODST.

That said, it doesn't NEED to be matchmaking precisely. It saddens me to see how few people actually remember opti-match in these days. Early online games had a system where you setup a lobby and waited while other people searched through a list. None of this randomly generated playlists and people thing. You were able to pick and choose what you wanted (which, to me, added a lot of the fun factor. Games today are taken way to seriously. It's not fun using matchmaking when it sticks you on a map you hate with a gametype you despise just because 7 annoying kids thought it would be cool to play Swat on The Cage for the millionth time.)

I think Opti-match would've been a great feature to re-introduce into the game world VIA ODST. This way you could play with randoms that are actually online when you are (instead of searching the forums) but you also have some level of discretion in who you play with.

See, Bungie kept telling us we would feel this film noir atmosphere, and I guess they succeed in that with the music and setting, but the whole "being a detective" aspect of it never came through to me. I never felt like I was piecing things together or finding clues, I always just felt like I was pressing X to play the game. This whole feeling made the film noir aspect seem totally pointless to me.

I honestly think Bungie just did the best with what they had to work with. Halo isn't clue. It's a shooter and they need to keep you in that element. They went for a very dark and dramatic vibe with the art, music, and atmosphere, but as far as storyline goes there's only so much mystery they could push out. Especially in a prequel to a game already released 2 years earlier. They couldn't be dropping subtle clues as to where your next target would be, so it banked mostly on the mysterious vibe rather than the mystery itself to push itself forward. Because you're right, they never really make you feel like a detective. Just a soldier following a trail (why you could trailer their weapons, helmets, etc... and not the team itself doesn't really make sense to me either. Radio chatter should've picked them up easily.)

I didn't like Halo Wars mainly because I am absolutely terrible at RTSs and my mind breaks down when I have to play them. I multi-task pretty much non-stop at work, but I can't do it in an RTS, even an easy one, to save my life. My friend pretty much carried me through the entire game.

Understandable. I'm certainly no genius when it comes to RTS and I despise the achievement for earning General rank because of how frequently I waste an hour of my life just to lose and get a meager 200 xp. I've only found one really effective strategy (and it usually just gets people to Rage Quit before I have time to earn any extra experience.) I did enjoy the Campaign enough to return to it on a semi-regular basis (just like I do all of my Halo books and games) and I am still slowly trudging my way toward Running the Show as we speak.

I wouldn't have any problems with the gameplay getting broken up by story if the story was in the least bit compelling. ODST's story did absolutely nothing for me. Like I said earlier, there's no real feeling of importance to anything you are doing throughout the entire game. Buck and Dare's romance, if you can even call it that, felt really awkward and not interesting at all. And as for the rest of the cast, well, I couldn't tell you any of their names or remember a single thing they did. They had about as much personality as any Halo NPC marine. They were completely boring and I just didn't care at all about them or their mission.

Buck and Dare's biggest flaw, I think, is that we had absolutely no background history on them. They had a relationship. That's all we knew. I was at least hoping Reach would've made them slightly more important than just a cameo appearance for Buck. As for Romeo, Butch, & Mickey, I was definitely amused by them and I felt we learned a bit about them individually throughout the game, but there wasn't enough focus on them together as a team. ODST are supposed to be squads working together, but that was exactly the opposite of what we got. As I said before, they needed a few more missions after the point where the game left off and they needed you to work together as a team.

I greatly prefer overly wordy posts over short ones. You can see that the person writing them actually put some effort into replying.

Well that's good than because I had no intention of cutting out my talkative nature or qutting my posting (at least not until the board starts getting flooded with the obnoxious members of the community. Fortunately they're all still over on the Reach and H3 boards. I will say, however, that the members here are SOOOOOOO much better than the GameFAQs, which is the site I used (and freaked out on) before I came over here.

Spengler PhD
10-09-2011, 01:18 AM
It'll be alright, 343 made Gears and that's just fine.

TServo
10-09-2011, 01:40 AM

Wait.... what?

Foxxy kyle
10-09-2011, 02:21 AM

If im not mistaken Epic Games makes Gears.. not 343 Industries

Heres what 343 industries makes, http://www.xbox360achievements.org/browsegames/developer/343%20Industries/

TerrorfirmerIE
11-19-2011, 08:48 PM
It concerns me a little bit, but I think 343 knows how important the success of Halo 4 needs to be in order to save the franchise (after almost everyone hated Reach).

If you don't like the game, that's perfectly fine - everyone's entitled to their opinion. But don't make idiotic statements like that.

Not 'almost everyone hated Reach'. The game sold by the bucket load and everyone I know loves it - doesn't mean everyone loves it of course, but I know far more people like it than dislike it. Also, lets remember that the average metacritic score is 91/100, and it's strong sales. I don't know how you take that to mean 'everyone hated reach', but sorry it's simply not true and a stupid statement to make.

I often see as well around the net 'Everyone hated Black Ops'...oh hang on, best selling game in the history of video games until MW3 came along! I just don't understand why some people equate their opinion of a critically and commercially successful game with 'it's a bad game'.

ajennice
11-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Not concerned at all. Halo like all other video games captures imagination and a test of wits, skill, and luck. The graphics, gameplay and story falls second.
With that being said there isn't one person on here that couldn't write a HALO 4,5,6,7....etc. Storyline. We're gamers and I am sure we've said " If I would of done it, it would of been like this"......
These guys who write these are just like us.. cept theres a few of them that get together and brain toss ideas for hours ( and get paid)..
The story then goes to delelopers and within time, the game is done. The key parts are begining and ending...everything else in between is just transition between those 2 parts.

They've had a majority of what they need.. MODELS. the spartan hasn't changed much, weapons haven't changed much, covi/flood.. no change..Even the effects of weapons, nades, running, jumping...etc are the same (for most part). So they can use the codes from previous halos to build those.. easy to transfer. Even in REACH you saw replicas.. ONI/PACKAGE used some of the same scenes (just diffreent color and some slight changes)...MP maps/campaign maps..also replicas with a few changes.
It's just like taking a picture of a hamburger and photoshopping a slice of cheese onto it to make it a cheesebureger...But a bit more involved..LOL

Halo 4 will be a classic instant hit.. Not for the millions that follow the game, but as this is 343's first fresh HALO, they're going to dump alot into it to bring back what we've been waiting for...some AWE factor!!!

ajennice
11-22-2011, 05:54 AM
I liked reach more than ODST. I just feel as a prequel... Nothing got done/said.. They already knew of the covi existance before reach, and it was a story of 1 spartans travels during the fall of the planet...If the AI played with half of half a clue, the story was more go from A to B, it was more "strategically" thought out.. it would of been better.
I just know during an invasion liek this.. those MAC cannons would be tearing shit up!!!!!! and we only see 1 during the entire game...LOL

ALSO being a prequel they should of NOT had the added effects ( sprint, jet pack, AL, etc...) and no battle riffle. Master chief didn't have those in CE, so either they didn't exist or something.

I get the feeling the last 2 halo games turned into a CoD outlook.. "Who cares about the game.. I'm buying for MP!!! "

DarkReign2021
11-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Not concerned at all. Halo like all other video games captures imagination and a test of wits, skill, and luck. The graphics, gameplay and story falls second.
With that being said there isn't one person on here that couldn't write a HALO 4,5,6,7....etc. Storyline. We're gamers and I am sure we've said " If I would of done it, it would of been like this"......
These guys who write these are just like us.. cept theres a few of them that get together and brain toss ideas for hours ( and get paid)..
The story then goes to delelopers and within time, the game is done. The key parts are begining and ending...everything else in between is just transition between those 2 parts.

They've had a majority of what they need.. MODELS. the spartan hasn't changed much, weapons haven't changed much, covi/flood.. no change..Even the effects of weapons, nades, running, jumping...etc are the same (for most part). So they can use the codes from previous halos to build those.. easy to transfer. Even in REACH you saw replicas.. ONI/PACKAGE used some of the same scenes (just diffreent color and some slight changes)...MP maps/campaign maps..also replicas with a few changes.
It's just like taking a picture of a hamburger and photoshopping a slice of cheese onto it to make it a cheesebureger...But a bit more involved..LOL

Halo 4 will be a classic instant hit.. Not for the millions that follow the game, but as this is 343's first fresh HALO, they're going to dump alot into it to bring back what we've been waiting for...some AWE factor!!!

For the most part I agree with you, but there are a couple little nitpicky things I'd like to point out.

Each Halo game (except ODST) has used a new engine, which runs in an entirely different setup than the previous, which means you actually cannot just take code from one game to another. The benefit of what they have is a pre-established visual representation of what these things are supposed to be. So they know a Plasma Grenade is supposed to be blue with a 3-second detonation and the ability to stick to vehicles and enemies, but they have to go in and re-code from the ground up to create that effect.

The other issue I see in what you said is that we honestly don't know WHAT the enemies and weapons are going to be in Halo 4. The Covenant is fallen, so we know that aspect is gone, but as far as the involvement of the other races and their weapons go, that's left to be seen. I would hope they wouldn't just drop all of the pre-established weapons since they are what makes Halo... Halo, but we also know there needs to be a new threat to replace the Covenant and keep this from just being a trilogy of "the Library, Quarantine Zone, and Cortana" the entire time.

ajennice
11-22-2011, 10:38 PM
you're correct.

But you see where I'm coming from by saying HALO 4 isn't in ANY trouble...

Also... they redo assassins creed every year... same concept.. same , wel same everything.. and it's a hit...

H4 will be fine....

DarkReign2021
11-24-2011, 03:52 AM
I definitely agree with you. In the gameplay and visual department there is definitely nothing to worry about because if 343 were to, for whatever reason, fail to make a new Halo on the H4 engine that was up to par with our expectations, they could very simply just return to the Reach engine and just go from there.

Even than, a lot of 343 is composed of ex-Bungie staff as well as valuable team members from other development teams, so I don't see why they couldn't.

That simply leaves the matter of the Soundtrack, storyline, and dialog. Joseph Staten and Martin O'Donnell are both still with Bungie and therefore no longer with Halo, so although that doesn't spell doom for the Halo franchise, that does leave the question of who is going to be in charge of each department.

As you said, everybody has their ideas and anybody could put a foot forward in the story and dialog department, but a quality idea is still going to be harder to come by. Even i have my own ideas (hell, I've been writing game and movie scripts for each of the games since Halo 2 and I thought they were all better than what we were actually given for the most part, but that's just personal bias.) Fortunately at this point in the series Halo 4 can go in a large number of directions. It left off in such a perfect spot that they can literally go wherever they want so long as it stays true to the nature of Halo.