PDA

View Full Version : Is this any good?

eHeadache
09-12-2011, 10:16 AM
At risk of making a generic is this any good thread.... is this any good?

I bought a kinect last year and have only really enjoyed the sports games, the thing hardley ever gets used nowadays and when I saw the adverts for this game the mrs looked at me and gave me the smile to say you should go and buy this for me,

Decent reviews from real gamers are few and far between and im finding reviews are either jumping up and down about it, or they are saying the control system is a mockery.

It does seem like a fun game, but if it controls like a dead dog then I dont care if its the best game in kinect history, if you cant control what you want to do then its pointless.

People with this game please tell me what does the kinect aspect play like?

Thank you!

Awoodog
09-12-2011, 01:02 PM
very good, a whole new style of gameplay. it took me a few days to beat, like 4, two to three hours a day. its got really good replay value id say.
the controls are really smooth, i dont see why people complain.

you can madly swing your arms to attack, you have to pace yourself or they wont register, but thats normal id say.

and i wont lie, when you dont have a weapon (just your fists) the block sometimes wont come up and youll frustratingly die, but seriously thats nothing, youll love the game if you liked condemned. if you havent played condemned, play this.

this and alan wake, are my two fave xbox 360 games

litepink
09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I've seen more complaints from "official" reviews than from user reviews. In fact, every user I come across has praised the control scheme. Personally, I think if you can't grasp the controls than you're too dumb for this game and should move on.

The story difficulty achievements don't stack and I'M EXCITED that I get to playthrough the game two more times, and rarely do I get that feeling with ANY game, Kinect or otherwise.

xMidget_Furyx
09-13-2011, 01:27 AM
the only issues i've had with it are caused by myself. as i sometimes forget when i'm fighting that my foot is forward therefore i move forward. Also sometimes i've moved backwards when trying to walk forwards, it didn't take long to correct just stand straight up character stops, begin walking. also there is auto move which is helpful when you become lost, just know using automove won't allow you to search.

so far i've really enjoyed this game the story is interesting and the combat is fun.

Chrinst
09-14-2011, 05:20 AM
I want to buy this game...but the reviews have been all over the place.

SpykDaBarstud
09-15-2011, 08:38 PM
I want to buy this game...but the reviews have been all over the place.

I've been sorely dissapointed with the Kinect titles released so far but this has turned things around! I bought Kinect at midnight release with high hopes and found that, whilst being an amazing bit of kit, the software released for it was more for the wii fan boys (ugh!) and not my taste. I'd been waiting for rise of nightmares from before kinects release and my hopes were draining as it got closer to coming out but this really is what I wanted kinect for.
Freedom!! Both in and out of game You feel un-restricted. You can look at anything in game with simple gestures and motions, the fight system works brilliantly (any problems i did have were by me not doing it right). Hire it out, give it a go, If you don't like it, take it back and ask for a refund! lol

L0cke89
09-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Fantastic. This is the first Kinect game that show it's possible to really control a character. Every move the game has to offer can be pulled off without any problem. You only have to have enough space in your room ;P

Btw, none of the reviews seemed to mention the great music that really got under my skin even my I knew I could every zombie with a few hits.

Get this game if you're at least ineterested, like horror and want to look around and investigate your environment.

8/10 from me on. Maybe a 7 if you're not so hooked on horror (Real horror, no Shooting shit) like myself.

ElektroDragon
09-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Really love this game, especially because I can understand all the Romanian. And BEST use of Kinect too. It's like the knew I was disappointed in my Kinect, and decided to release a game that would blow me away. :eek:

Godstar
09-26-2011, 08:29 PM
I've really enjoyed this game so far. Like was mentioned earlier, the only problems I've had were in the movement sections where it thinks your moving backward when you're actually trying to move forward. The other issue I've had is in groups of monsters, it's hard to select which one you want. There is no method of switching targets. You have to drop your arms and exit combat and then adjust your body on your target and then go into a combat stance again.

I've read reviews saying that the story is non-sensical. In what way could the story be non-sensical if you've played through the whole game? It made perfect sense. Overall, I think it's probably one of the best Kinect titles after Adventure, which is probably my favorite.

Baihu1983
09-30-2011, 09:20 AM
From what ive played i would say yes. Took a little while to get used to moving but its a good fun game.

HellspawnRei
10-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Its nice to see good opinions about this game.
I ll get it as soon as possible

Baihu1983
10-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Finished the main story today. Very good game that works very well.

Missingnin80
10-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I got it on Monday and I'm not too far in(Act 3 scene 2) but I'm really enjoying it. I got a kinect at a bargain price from a guy at work (30) last week and immediately wanted something other than kinect adventures since i'm not a fan of those party style games. Being a horror fan this appealed to me immediately. I also had a few minor issues with the step forward/back thing but like people have said it's easily corrected and none of the control scheme issues are major ones or impact on gameplay significantly. The story is very simple and silly but in a fun way! like a lot of horror games of recent years it borrows heavily from a lot of different horror sources including movies, novels and other games. A lot of the ways you interact are remarkably well done, particularly the dodging of bosses attacks during boss battles. Overall good stuff, enjoying it immensely.

Baihu1983
10-23-2011, 01:32 PM
A follow up with better graphics are more areas,creatures to fight would be most welcome. Hell bring House of the dead out aswell. The Gunstringers DLC shows those types of games can work aswell with Kinect.

PANIC ATTACK 10
10-23-2011, 07:53 PM
take a look at my review of this game to see what i have to say.

its posted just not to long ago. fantastic game! honestly i cant wait for a part 2.

i hope more companies learn from sega on how to use kinect! very happy i bought it :) now lets have more unique games like this. was worth the wait.

162sbombs
10-24-2011, 09:11 PM
If you like scary games that jump out of your seat, this game is for you. ROFL

PANIC ATTACK 10
10-25-2011, 10:19 PM
final boss is a real pain. i still cant beat it!

ghettowulfe
11-24-2011, 05:01 AM
good game just takes some time to get used to and it tires you out quick with all the attacking. The beginning is slow, but once you get past that it gets fun. The controls for walking i still don't understand I want to go straight and I end up walking backwards.

raidenhardcore
11-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Excellent game works well for Kinect, if anybody has seen the horror movies Hostel or The Train the story is exactly copied from those 2 movies :confused:

Im playing on Humane and some fights are very tough hopefully the Torture difficulty is not imposible otherwise it seems a tough 1k

PANIC ATTACK 10
12-01-2011, 03:49 AM
chicken is good, this is f*ckin fantastic!

ScoobyWRX555
12-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I hope Sega reads proper gamers reviews and not the tedious kinect bashing that goes on otherwise they or other developers will be less inclined to develop the kinect controls further. If one could email them and praise them i would. only gripe, it is really short. as mentioned above done in 3/4 days 2/3hrs a time. 2 difficulty playthroughs to go.

not that im going to be around then but i see this tech as the journey towards the holodeck

tmashinter
12-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Hate it. The fighting mechanics are ok, but the movement controls drive me crazy, the guy moves forward when i don't want him to and he moves as slow as molasses. For someone fighting for their life he should move with more haste than he does. Also turning your head is annoying feels like he is on a swivel turn a bit and you stop turning but the character on the screen will still turn a good 15 degrees after you stopped turning.

I play tons of games and played some really crappy ones, this one takes the cake for me. Most of time i just use the auto walk other times i'm praying for a controller. wish i had never bought it, but now i feel compelled to try to finish off the cheevos. I'm surprised how most of the people replying are positive towards this game, i hate it with a passion, but maybe its just me.

Baihu1983
12-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Sold over 200K in its first month so hopefully its continued to sell well enough for a follow up.

WoodsMonk
12-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Got this for Christmas and all I can say is.. I must have 2 left arms!!! :mad: I raise my RIGHT arm to trigger auto move and well nothing happens!!

Baihu1983
12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Do you raise it right up or hold the arm out to the side and lift the lower part up? Cause thats what you have to do.

Hitler salute wont work.

Crimson Ridley
01-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I've rather enjoyed my time with it so far. I'm only an hour or so in to the game, but it has been pleasantly surprising.

I do have a couple of questions, if anyone would care to answer; Does this game require more space than most Kinect games? I have just a little over 6 feet of playing space, but the game occasionally doesn't register what I am doing, in regards to walking mainly. The Kinect has a good view of the floor too, so I don't think that's the problem.

Also, has anyone tried this game with 'Zoom' by Nyko? People are reporting different levels of success with different games, but this game has not been mentioned as far as I can see. If this game works well with it, I'll invest in the hardware.

Thank you. :)

Baihu1983
01-16-2012, 09:10 PM
I have about 6ft aswell but found myself playing a little closer incase of the step back moments. Had no issues even when the game asked me to step back it still tracked everything i was doing.

keithofse3
01-19-2012, 08:34 PM
im ashamed to say my gf bought me this for xmas still not played.
must find time to get on an play

Toaster Forster
01-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Was gonna ask if this game is any good then saw this thread,got the kinect last week for the kids but i wouldn't mind trying a 'grown up game' for myself, so its 12.99 at amazon at the moment so i take it from the other posts at this price it would be a worth while buy?

xIAmAZombiex
02-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Best use of Kinect outside of dancing games. I've only played an hour or so but I love it. It's not perfect but as a first attempt with kinect in a fully 3D world its rather amazing. Truly an underrated game.

Xenolith666
03-02-2012, 12:25 AM
I enjoyed it very much.. sore arms and shoulders to boot. And it's not all kiddie.. it's pretty damn gory.

Kovy88
03-05-2012, 10:37 PM
For a survival horror fan like me, this game was great. The motion controls work well, if you just know how to do the moves right. Not many things are as satisfying in games, as slicing the enemies up with your Chains, Meat Mincer or Chainsaw in this game with your own hands. Just pure madness and fun. Got the 1000g in it.

Blue Thunder28
03-24-2012, 11:35 PM
This game is way too intense, I had to beat it little bits at a time haha.. The controls are amazing, most fun I've had playing video games... Screaming while in an XBL Party, good times. The boss battles are soooo sweet. (with the dodging etc)

And once you get the glove of Azoth... oh my does it get even better.

invasionjdm
03-25-2012, 05:44 AM
Buy it only if you have kids

HellspawnRei
04-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Great game indeed.
A must buy for survival/horror fans.

Skorpion XBA
05-07-2012, 04:54 PM
The controls were awesome and this is the best kinect game I've played. the story was poop on a stick, but other than that it's a great game.

Tal
05-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I usually try to play a horror/survival game for the Halloween season, and for last Halloween, Rise of Nightmares was that game. Slashing and kicking your way through a land full of blood-thirsty creatures is pretty darn fun.

The game control, for me, worked really well.

KrunchbiteRAWR
09-08-2012, 05:12 PM
this is by far my favorite kinect game i recomend anyone with a kinect get this.