PDA

View Full Version : Playing tips

CelticWarriorDB
09-16-2011, 04:15 AM
I was just wondering if anyone who has had a good bit of time with this game could give me, or anyone else, some tips on how to properly play the game. For me, sometimes I'm having trouble getting it to do what I want it to do. Example being that sometimes when I put up my fists to fight, the interact option comes up instead. Also, is there a proper way to turn in this game? It seems like my normal turn makes the game turn quicker than normal, and sometimes I have to twist my body and hold it, just for the game to turn normal.

Sorry if this confused anyone. Just need some help. It's been bugging me a little.

One more thing, is this game just an autosave game? They don't come up too often, so it would be nice to manual save if possible.

L0cke89
09-16-2011, 05:53 AM
The game only saves between scenes. So, if you leave the game, you will have to start over from the last scene.

As for the controls. I never had any problems with them. Just raise both hands up in front of you like you wanted to punch someone in real life and start swinging or punching.

As for turning. Don't turn the whole body, just your shoudlers. The further you turn, the quicker you move. I think there is also an options setting for how quickly you turn. Hope that helps. I always find it hard to describe Kinect controls :/

ElektroDragon
09-16-2011, 06:37 AM
A tip for running:

DON'T run up and down in place like for Kinect Sports. Instead, kick your feet forward as fast as you possibly can.

Died 3 times before I realized that. :p

mortug
07-13-2012, 06:28 PM
The game only saves between scenes. So, if you leave the game, you will have to start over from the last scene.

scenes or act? cause i quit in the middle of an act (respawning got me back to last checkpoint) and when i loaded up the game it started from the beginning of the act. that p*ssed me off man

adifabio1024
07-17-2012, 10:18 PM
I don't believe there is a manual save. I would recommend standing farther back from the sensor than you would for other games. It seems to help with recognition of your actions. I would also recommend auto-walking whenever possibly because on my game the character would walk in the wrong direction.

Writhm
12-10-2012, 01:43 AM
What worked best for me was to play like a robot. Playing this game like it's "real" will limit your success. Learn what the Kinect will register using minimal movements, and use those. You'll save energy, and do better. With enough practice, you'll seem like a roller-skating lawnmower death machine!

These are my movement tips for the smoothest experience:

Exploring

NEUTRAL STANCE: Stand completely flat - arms at sides, feet together, eyes straight ahead. Pretend your boarding school has been invaded by zombies.

To move, extend 1 foot forward. The further you extend the foot, the faster you will move. Of course, max speed is limited. Figure out how far your foot needs to be extended to reach max speed, and try to remember it so you are not doing splits while trying to run from something. NOTE: Always use the same foot for this action. If you keep switching feet, the Kinect will get confused and make you walk backwards (usually at the worst possible time).

To turn, return to Neutral Stance, then point your ONLY your shoulders in the direction you want to turn. NOTE: Turn-speed can be adjusted in the options menu. Tweak your settings and find the speed that works for you (I like mine a few notches under max speed).

ADVANCED TACTIC: Walking and Turning. This is only ever necessary for a few trap rooms and when you want to run past some creatures. Stay calm and robotic. Enter a walk stance (keep your arms DOWN) and pivot your shoulders as necessary. It takes some practice.

INTERACT: Enter a neutral stance, then extend 1 arm. Now your interacting! Sometimes, you'll need to interact in the heat of battle. Stay calm, go neutral, then interact. Otherwise, you'll be locking on, entering combat stance, and probably dying.

Combat

Guard/lock-on aka combat stance: From neutral position, extend both arms with elbows bent at an 80 degree angle or so. Don't cross your arms, don't hide your face. Just get 'em up like a Rock 'em Sock 'em Robot. If you are not holding a chainsaw or other powered weapon, you will lock on to the enemy nearest you. Let's kill it super fast!

Fighting: In combat stance, extend 1 arm straight out, then return to combat stance. If you do this as fast as possible, you can perform 2 strikes per second. With the right weapon, you can demolish groups of creatures incredibly fast.

Vertical Strikes vs. Horizontal strikes: Many weapons get a power boost from a vertical strike (the technique described above). However, they only hit one enemy at a time. Horizontal strikes can hit multiple enemies. But, since vertical strikes are SO much stronger and faster, it doesn't even matter.

If your controls start acting funny while you are playing, get into neutral mode immediately. Even in combat. You might take a hit (usually not), but it's worth it to regain proper controls. Make sure your room is well lit so the Kinect can see you (the antithesis of horror, I know) and keep your movements simplistic.

Good luck.

tjh8523
01-05-2013, 07:41 AM
really useful, thx