PDA

View Full Version : Insulted by the price!

YiazmatXII
09-20-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm starting this thread because I think it is damn right out of order to ask for £14.99 in UK!
It costs $19.99 in US, right? This equates to about £12.50!!!! Not to mention you can pick up a copy for half this price.

Also, for £14.99, I can get 2100 points, and buy better stuff!

Sorry Capcom, you have just lost a customer because of your selfish greed.

EDIT:
The reason for this is to point out that Capcom are isolating the poorer gamers.
Well done Capcom for making the Rich/Poor gap even bigger

Bleeding Star
09-20-2011, 04:56 PM
I just bought it as I wanted the game, kinda disappointed to see it more than the 1600 it was announced at but whatever, it was only like 240 extra points. Better value than the weapon skin packs for Gears 3

YiazmatXII
09-20-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't get how people are paying points for it, as I can only get it for £14.99. XBLM won't let me use my points... :confused::confused:

JuSt BLaZe
09-20-2011, 05:13 PM
[x] This is a very fair price.

I'm a huge Resident Evil fan and it was worth every cent!

breastfed
09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
lol how anyone can complain at the price is beyond me, resi 4 was and is a seminal title easily worth a score seeing as a lot of people will dump 1200 points on an arcade title or dlc, this is a full retail release (cheev wise) worth every penny, cent, ms point, drop of blood, or slice of my soul

Bleeding Star
09-20-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't get how people are paying points for it, as I can only get it for £14.99. XBLM won't let me use my points... :confused::confused:

You Press X when on the download now screen and itll change to MSP

OptimumJay
09-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Just press X on the payment screen and it'll convert it for you

Wuffles
09-20-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm astonished that anyone would be upset about this price. Just blown away. Anything less just doesn't seem right.

Plym
09-20-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm astonished that anyone would be upset about this price. Just blown away. Anything less just doesn't seem right. Agreed, I'd happily play retail price for this.
I always buy games about 6 months-1 year after everyone else anyway so the price is lower, so this is a steal for me.

AmbaLaBamba
09-20-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm a huge RE fan but I don't want to shed out £14.99 for it, especially when I could buy a few more titles that are on my list for cheaper. Maybe if the price goes down I will consider it, even 1,200 MS Points would be better, but until that time I will just pop my PS2 disk in if need be and be done with it.

MediumMelanin
09-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I don't care, isn't everything over there more expensive anyway?

killer297
09-20-2011, 07:20 PM
i am my self a huge Resident evil 4 fan ( just finished pro at the weekend funny enough ) but however the price i think is a bit too high becuase i bought back my resident evil 4 for £5 and to say that i have to get it back at £15 is just a little to much to be fair, becuase i think that if they were to charge £10 for it i think that it would slience all these people and would be done with it

Trombonafide
09-20-2011, 07:24 PM
You're complaining about the price of this game, a price which is a steal when weighed against how much content you get? Come the fuck on!

Most retail releases these days have less content that this game. And you're really going to bitch about £2.49, give or take?

Hawaiian
09-20-2011, 07:29 PM
1680 Microsoft Points for me. I think I'm going to buy it, haven't played it before. I don't think that Capcom is to blame, Microsoft doesn't offer any Games on Demand game for less than €19.99/$19.99/£14.99. Best thing to do is buy Microsoft Points as cheap as possible.

CuddlyREDRUM
09-20-2011, 07:33 PM
It's a very fair price, you are getting some great value. It depends upon what you are looking for, I would like the characters to look a bit better, but meh, I don't want the entire game messed with.

Compared to a Halo HD for forty bucks, this is great. They didn't need to touch the game, with Halo HD they did.

soup or man
09-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I guess I'm gonna buy this on PSN since it's half off if you're a Plus subscriber. I still feel like they're should be more Achievements/Trophies for a $20 game, though. Kinda disappointed on that aspect.

YiazmatXII
09-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I guess I'm gonna buy this on PSN since it's half off if you're a Plus subscriber. I still feel like they're should be more Achievements/Trophies for a $20 game, though. Kinda disappointed on that aspect.

If there was a full 50, I'd feel a bit happier... At least there would be much more to physically achieve

DarthSoth
09-20-2011, 08:04 PM
I initially wanted both RE4 and Code Veronica but not at the price they have it at. I already own the whole gamecube collection of Resident Evil. Sure it would be nice to have Code Veronica in HD, but not at $20 for a 10 year old game. I was thinking they'd be around Perfect Dark's price, 800 points. Maybe 1200 at most. But $20 and a 4 GB download is a bit much.

I'd also rather have a physical copy of the game.

Jack Pumpkinhed
09-20-2011, 08:05 PM
This is ridiculous. I mean, really?

$19.99 (what I paid for it since I'm American) is a totally fair price.

Things to consider about this:

A) You get a FULL game. This game was not small to begin with. Plus, it's an amazing story and a super fun experience.

B) How much money do you sink into nonsensical things like coffee, energy drinks, or sodas (at roughly 2 bucks a pop)

C) If you want to talk outrageous pricing, look at all the avatar items/weapon skins/character outfits that people shell out money hand over fist for. Those don't do anything except make something "look" cool. It serves no other real purpose.

In conclusion: You're going to spend money on so much other BS that in comparison paying 19.99 or 16.99 pounds (euros? Don't know, don't care) is a god damn steal for such an amazing experience that has tons of replay value.

M49907
09-20-2011, 08:15 PM
You gota be a cheap ass hole to bitch about this. 20 dollars for a full retail game with 1000GS available is a good deal. If you already have it on ps2 go play it and stfu. Some people no longer have ps2.

newbsicle
09-20-2011, 11:26 PM
The price was decided by capcom, yet from what I understand, this is considered a full retail game on xbl marketplace. Is $20.00usd not the bare minimum for full game downloads? Let's also not forget this includes all the bonus content not found in the original; not to mention it's one of the greatest classics of all time.

:woop:

Sgt Scyther
09-21-2011, 01:02 AM
I'll be the first to admit that Capcom is a selfish and greedy company, but this is a very fair price for this game. The amount of content you're getting and the quality of the game makes this a steal. Besides, it's only slightly more expensive than your average Arcade title.

Sure, you can get the game for cheaper if you go out and get a used version for the GameCube or PS2, but the same could be said for just about any older game that has an HD makeover on XBLA.

Dz06lt
09-21-2011, 01:06 AM
I would pay that price if they gave me a disc

Annalie
09-21-2011, 01:07 AM
I'm starting this thread because I think it is damn right out of order to ask for £14.99 in UK!
It costs $19.99 in US, right? This equates to about £12.50!!!! Not to mention you can pick up a copy for half this price.

My god, is the OP feeling ok? if you dont want to buy this very cheap game then dont. go buy it for half price and play it on the older consoles. if not then go bitch and moan elsewhere.

ChemicalxRachel
09-21-2011, 02:19 AM
My god, is the OP feeling ok? if you dont want to buy this very cheap game then dont. go buy it for half price and play it on the older consoles. if not then go bitch and moan elsewhere.

I totally agree. Coming from someone who has never played it, 20 dollars is an excellent price for this game. Granted, I'd have liked to have a disc version with cover art and the whole nine yards, but I'm not really complaining at 20.

MachineAres
09-21-2011, 02:49 AM
Yeah, the game is worth even more than what they're charging, people need to get real. And I like how the OP acts like this is the same as the PS2 or Wii version and should only be worth as much as those games. Not even close. This is not a damn arcade game, I guess thats what most people are thinking by believing this price is too much. Or they're just dumb/broke.

neverendr
09-21-2011, 04:27 AM
I think that for what you get, the price is a steal.

You get to play one of the best games ever made, with every bit of bonus content released for it, for $20USD. I tried to *pre order* this title, expecting to pay $39.99-$49.99 for a copy, and I was thrilled when I found out it was going to be a download at $19.99 - I'd have been happy to pay double. In fact, I've already paid for a PS2 Limited steelbook copy, which cost me $60 new I think, it's been years, as well as the Wii version, which offered a different gameplay experience, for $39.99 I think?

Now I'm given the option to play the definitive version of one of my favorite games of all time, with all the bells and whistles, painstakingly updated to HD with a full 1000 gamerscore of *good* achievements, no framerate hiccups that I've seen thus far, which speaks of excellent conversion quality and quality control. Bravo Capcom!

To those across the pond, yes, I can see it being slightly unfair that you have to pay a couple dollars more. However, the UK isn't in the middle of a complete financial meltdown of epic proportion like the US has been for years, so consider that $20 to us is probably about equal to what you pay, given our unemployment rate, layoffs, jobs eliminated, pay cuts, etc. Not to be an insensitive yank, if you refuse to add the cost of a bloody pint or a Starbucks caramel macchiato to the price of the game on principal, don't buy it. It's your loss.

Guitar LInc0ln
09-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Big big robbery.

First of all, the game was released for GC in 2005 as well as for PS2. Arguing with the fact, that there haven't been any new Minigames or even new Game Chapters (last addition were Seperate Ways and Assignment Ada for PS2) since the PS2 version, we get offered a 6 year old game.

After the Wii version with the best controls I've ever seen, we are now going to get a downgrade, because using a Controller again is absolutely back to the roots. $20 for a Downgrade? No way!

Contrary to Japanese buyers we won't get a solid medium like a disc, all we get is a download. I absolutely dislike this.

A very BIG problem: The price compared to the price of the PS3 version: All PS-Plus Members will get a special deal which allows to get Resident Evil 4 50% off in price for the first 2 weeks. Microsoft of course want to milk the customers like they always do and won't offer a fair deal. I won't pay double the price for the same game as PS3 Players.

German problem: afaik it has already been confirmed that the German Version will be cut (no Mercenaries, no Assignment Ada). I surely won't pay €20 ($27.40) for a game missing half of it's content!

Did I forget anything?

-------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Oh yeah I did! Right now the Wii-Version of RE4 is highly reduced in price. Amazon.com is offering it for $9.96. So let's compare:

- Wii Version (on a disc): $9.96
- XBox Version (Download only): $19.99

no comment....

gingeee85
09-21-2011, 07:24 AM
resident evil 5 had less content than this and we all paid for it???? i think this is a very fair price

bbk70
09-21-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm with the "cheap for what you get" brigade. I'm going to get 20+ hours of entertainment out of this (I'm shit, I truly am), and for £15 thats well worth it. It costs me best part of £25 to go with my partner to the cinema for 2hrs of entertainment, so I'm not sure what the beef is. Yes, its an old game, but its one of the best games ever made, bar none. Yes, the control mechanism isn't quite how we would have it now, but it doesn't take very long to get used to that again. Yes, PS3 owners are getting it cheaper - but sorry, the £7.50 they save isn't worth owning a PS3 over IMO.

Look, its a great, great game for £15. Thats value in anyone's book.

SLY JD
09-21-2011, 07:39 AM
$20 seems reasonable.

What is a rip off is that here in Australia, it costs us $30AUD when it's $20USD in US. Considering the Aussie dollar is higher than the US, we are paying >$10 more.

Guitar LInc0ln
09-21-2011, 07:46 AM
$20 seems reasonable.

What is a rip off is that here in Australia, it costs us $30AUD when it's $20USD in US. Considering the Aussie dollar is higher than the US, we are paying >$10 more.

But al least you will get the normal, not censored version. I live in Germany, I have to pay €20 ($27.40) and the version I would get will not contain Mercenaries and Assingment Ada.

OptimumJay
09-21-2011, 08:22 AM
At the end of the day, they could have easily retailed it for full price, yeah I would prefer to have a hard copy stacked on my shelf but for what it is, it's a pretty decent price.

evo_4
09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
I dont care about price. What I care about, i cant buy it because of my profile and console are from different location and its giving errors.
I mean, I live in Europe but my profile is US profile. Thats stupid shit. Capcom:uzi:

BUZZARDIO 1080
09-21-2011, 09:31 AM
this thread is stupid, resi 4 for 15£ is a bargin to any gamer.

Robioto
09-21-2011, 09:37 AM
£15 is probably my upper limit, anymore and I'd have passed, but I believe a fairer price would have been £10.

DarthSoth
09-21-2011, 05:34 PM
I will wait for a price drop before I buy this game. I have a copy of the GC version sitting on my shelf right now. I would like to play it on the 360 and 1k it at some point but it will be just another runthrough of a game on my self already. If I didn't already own it, then yeah, $20 for a copy of a great game isn't that bad. But as I said before, I own the whole Resident Evil collection and go through them all whenever a new Resident Evil game comes out. I don't need to double up on these titles for just an HD upgrade. Christ I can get a NEW copy of Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition for $20.

givemesomelager
09-21-2011, 07:32 PM
your damn right im gonna complain about the price 20 dollars for a digital copy of something you already own. thats bullshit, i want a hard copy at that price. ill just break out my ps2 and play it. wont cost me a thing.

eastx
09-21-2011, 07:45 PM
your damn right im gonna complain about the price 20 dollars for a digital copy of something you already own. thats bullshit, i want a hard copy at that price. ill just break out my ps2 and play it. wont cost me a thing.

Good. Nobody will miss you.

YiazmatXII
09-21-2011, 07:47 PM
For a download... It's a rip off
However, if Code Veronica is less than £9.99, then I may reconsider. IF CVX is also £14.99/1840MSP... Then I can see capcom being in trouble.

People will pay that for RE4, but paying that much for CVX.... no thanks

colarider
09-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Awesome price for awsome game...

Trombonafide
09-21-2011, 08:34 PM
With the exception of those who have legitimate regional issues with this (i.e. Germany's missing content and Australia's considerable price hike), I'm really appalled.

You people will bitch about any fucking thing under the sun, won't you?

Upset you won't get a disc? Get the fuck over it, its the digital age. Sooner than you realize, ALL media will be digital. eReaders, .pdf files, digital downloads, Steam. Its all gravitating towards digital rather than hard copy.

And anyone who thinks this price is a ripoff really needs to examine their purchase history. It is almost 100% likely you paid full retail price for a game with HALF the content of this game. I'm looking at you Resident Evil 5.

UCB Disco
09-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Honestly, it would have been a steal if they updated the controls too, but that's not the case. The graphics really do look SO much better, but I wish I was able to use the right stick this time around.

Eldave0
09-22-2011, 02:35 PM
If it makes you guys feel any better I got it for £6 off the PSN last night :D (I'll get my coat, hehe)
In all seriousness, as much as Resi4 is a timeless classic I wouldn't pay any more than £10 for an old game with an improved resolution so I'm glad I got the deal that I did.

GamerBug UK
09-22-2011, 03:25 PM
The game casts 1620 MSP and I bought my last bunch of 2100 points for about £14.99, which makes it pretty good value for me.

OptimumJay
09-22-2011, 03:52 PM
The game casts 1620 MSP and I bought my last bunch of 2100 points for about £14.99, which makes it pretty good value for me.

It's actually 1840 points, I know because I would have been happier with 1620 :P

GamerBug UK
09-22-2011, 04:27 PM
It's actually 1840 points, I know because I would have been happier with 1620 :P

Indeed it is, a bit of a keyboard slip there, doh! Making it a bit too much a bargain myself (I'd have preferred 1200, but it's still good value)

cheeky 315
09-22-2011, 04:39 PM
how is it right to charge the UK more than the US for exactly the same game

i dont get it

yes it is a ridiculous price and no matter how much of a fan of the franchise you are, if you live in the UK and have just paid for this game, you have been overcharged

it really is as simple as that

all games on demand are overpriced, and you will find 90% of the games cheaper in store than on the marketplace, go figure?

OptimumJay
09-22-2011, 05:52 PM

i dont get it

It's because of the different taxes/currency rates.

Plym
09-22-2011, 06:01 PM

i dont get it They are not charging the UK more.
The UK price is £14.99 and the US price is $19.95.
Going by today's currency exchange, that's about a difference of £1. They're not going to change the price daily to suit the exchange market.

You can buy 2100 MS points for £14.99 on Amazon so there should be NO complaining about the UK price compared to the US.

ThatKidBanks
09-22-2011, 07:06 PM

Not sure what region your trying to purchase it in but in the U.S. there's an option to "Pay Using Marketplace Points".

Annalie
09-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Not sure what region your trying to purchase it in but in the U.S. there's an option to "Pay Using Marketplace Points".

Yep just hit the X or Y button.

HabsCen10ial
09-22-2011, 07:28 PM
I think it's too much. I would pay $10-$15 but $15 even seems a little high for me.

I guess it might be because I've played it before. Maybe I would have a different opinion if I was going to be playing it for the first time.

DarthSoth
09-22-2011, 10:12 PM
I think it's too much. I would pay $10-$15 but $15 even seems a little high for me.

I guess it might be because I've played it before. Maybe I would have a different opinion if I was going to be playing it for the first time.

And that is the problem. Most people interested in a 5 and 10 year old Resident Evil game have played it before. Or they already own a GC or PS2 copy of it. If it was sold even at 1200 msp (even though 800/$10 is what this should be going for) I doubt topics like these would be cropping up everywhere.

But this is Capcom and their business is overcharging their customes for anything and everything if they can get away with it. I'm surprised their isn't an 800 msp costume pack out already for RE4. They seem to be deviating from the Capcom playbook on this one.

softerxsin495
09-22-2011, 10:17 PM
I think $20 USD is a fairly decent price, however, I intend to wait for a price drop (if there will ever be one) because I already own the game for the wii. I was hoping to get it for the 360 once I heard about them remastering the game, however, I'm not ready to pay $20 for a game on a different console, that I already own on another. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, its fantastic, but I'd fill jipped doing this under such circumstances, so I shall wait for a price drop. I really do wish they would offer a demo or trial however, because I am interested to see what the controls are like. Obviously the Wiimote is way different from and Xbox controller, so I'd like to know how controls are and what not before also paying $20 for a game that I then cannot return.

softerxsin495
09-22-2011, 10:20 PM
And that is the problem. Most people interested in a 5 and 10 year old Resident Evil game have played it before. Or they already own a GC or PS2 copy of it. If it was sold even at 1200 msp (even though 800/$10 is what this should be going for) I doubt topics like these would be cropping up everywhere.

But this is Capcom and their business is overcharging their customes for anything and everything if they can get away with it. I'm surprised their isn't an 800 msp costume pack out already for RE4. They seem to be deviating from the Capcom playbook on this one.

I completely agree. I think this wouldn't be such an issue or indecision if it was just a little bit less. I don't think people really wanna cheat the company, they just don't want to pay that much for a game they already own on another console or have played. I would still personally be content with payin 1200 MSP for it as opposed to the going rate now. And I'm also surprised they don't have a bunch of overpriced DLC.

Komrade Kayce
09-23-2011, 12:24 AM
You guys complaining are crazy. This is the first capcom rerelease of an RE title thats launched at 20 bucks. Its got far higher resolution than any other edition of RE and has every bell whistle and goody that has been previously included.

I honestly would have paid 29.99 and not complained. 19.99 makes me very happy.

And as for the person saying 'Nobody would buy Code Veronica X at 19.99, NOBODY', well, I certainly would. An HD version of the last 'true' Resident Evil game? Yessim.

The games look great and 4 has easily stacked up graphic wise so far to a lot of 39+ titles. So wheres the complaint? That you've owned it already?

Dont buy it again. Nobody ever forced you too. Go play your graphically inferior PS2 version, your content inferior Gamecube version or your absolutely-perfect Wii version. Me, I'm just happy its as crisp looking and feature packed as it is. I would have liked a retail version, but this is good enough.

metalzine
09-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I loved this game! Had the GC then got the PS2 version which was bigger n better! I think £15 is a decent price for a game that's better than resi 5

Bulldog LXXIII
09-23-2011, 12:40 PM

EDIT:
The reason for this is to point out that Capcom are isolating the poorer gamers.

Where are you able to get 2100MS Points for £14.99 fella - normally 2100 is around £17.00

Just curious

Guitar LInc0ln
09-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Where are you able to get 2100MS Points for £14.99 fella - normally 2100 is around £17.00

Just curious

maybe ebay. Points are cheaper there.

Plym
09-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Just curious Did you even read the rest of the thread?
I already said where you can get this deal.

DarthSoth
09-23-2011, 06:56 PM
You guys complaining are crazy. This is the first capcom rerelease of an RE title thats launched at 20 bucks. Its got far higher resolution than any other edition of RE and has every bell whistle and goody that has been previously included.

I honestly would have paid 29.99 and not complained. 19.99 makes me very happy.

And as for the person saying 'Nobody would buy Code Veronica X at 19.99, NOBODY', well, I certainly would. An HD version of the last 'true' Resident Evil game? Yessim.

The games look great and 4 has easily stacked up graphic wise so far to a lot of 39+ titles. So wheres the complaint? That you've owned it already?

Dont buy it again. Nobody ever forced you too. Go play your graphically inferior PS2 version, your content inferior Gamecube version or your absolutely-perfect Wii version. Me, I'm just happy its as crisp looking and feature packed as it is. I would have liked a retail version, but this is good enough.

What they should have done was put RE4 and Code Veronica on single disk and sold it for $30. I would have bought it in a second that way. I'm much more interested in Code Veronica to be honest. It is my second favorite game in the series behind RE2. RE4 however is almost at the bottom for me in the series just below RE5. and 20$ for Code veronic with a new coat of paint. . . that's still an pricy proposition on a 10 year old game. And I am not a fan of digital only game versions. I'd really like to see them do what they have for some DVD/Blu-Ray combo packs, and have a physical disk as well as the ability to download the game completely to the HDD.

I'm with softerxsin, I'd really like a demo to see how they did the controls. I've never been opposed to the old RE control, but some of the conversions I've played have made it pretty bad to play. I'd be more inclined to buy if I could try it first.

macgyver893
09-23-2011, 07:12 PM
I honestly didn't even think twice about the price. RE4 HD was going to be an instant purchase no matter what. And it has achievements this time around.... easy ones too!!! Couldn't go wrong for $20 in my mind.

Edit: I bet if it was an Arcade title and had only 200 achievements, I bet more people would have been turned off. But it wasn't and I'm glad I can get 1000 playing this awesome game! My first G.O.D. purchase too.

Komrade Kayce
09-23-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm with softerxsin, I'd really like a demo to see how they did the controls. I've never been opposed to the old RE control, but some of the conversions I've played have made it pretty bad to play. I'd be more inclined to buy if I could try it first.

And what other, pray tell, RE ports have you played where the control scheme has worsened since a previous incarnation? This new version of 4 doesnt count, the Wiimote is undefeatable. And the PS2 version of 4 is the fault of the controller. But every other port I've ever played has felt like just that, a port. The same controls, the same game.

So you're saying that this is 10 dollars beyond your impulse 'bought it in a second' price? Thats silly. If you're willing to buy it at 30 bucks with little to no thought, 40 shouldnt be that scary at all. Im not a fan of digital-only downloads too, but in a million years I never expected to get an HD update of either of these games.

Now I want you to place these titles alongside everything else the XBLA has to offer. And lets give them a standard pricing in points... say 1600.

...are you willing to tell me that these games at 1600 a piece dont pack more gameplay and value into their respective titles than just about everything else available for download? Thought so.

The problem with you, I, and everyone else who has played these before is just that. We've played them before. We're all huge fans of Resident Evil (except I dont think you've played enough of them, Survivor is CLEARLY worse than RE4, haha). But these are the first RE games besides 5 to ever grace a Microsoft console. Theres a whole legion of players who have never touched them before. 19.99 for a 1k point game with as much to do in them as they have is a bargain price to newcomers. To someone like me, its a way to keep all the games I like to play on a single system while at the same time see them in HD for the first time.

Perfect Dark 'HD' was 10 bucks at launch. So was 'Earthworm Jim HD'. Those are direct port/HD upgrades of their originals. I dont think asking for 10 dollars more over Earthworm Jim for an HD Code Veronica is even remotely unreasonable.

Wicelow
09-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Here (in France) the game is at 20€/1680msp.
It's very decent for such a videogame masterpiece.

But at the price I buy my points, in the end I only paid 14€ (1200msp at "xbox.com" price).

And for RE4... In HD... With cheevos... THAT'S THE BEST DEAL EVER !

Just get cheap points and enjoy !

DarthSoth
09-23-2011, 09:51 PM
And what other, pray tell, RE ports have you played where the control scheme has worsened since a previous incarnation? This new version of 4 doesnt count, the Wiimote is undefeatable. And the PS2 version of 4 is the fault of the controller. But every other port I've ever played has felt like just that, a port. The same controls, the same game.

So you're saying that this is 10 dollars beyond your impulse 'bought it in a second' price? Thats silly. If you're willing to buy it at 30 bucks with little to no thought, 40 shouldnt be that scary at all. Im not a fan of digital-only downloads too, but in a million years I never expected to get an HD update of either of these games.

Perfect Dark 'HD' was 10 bucks at launch. So was 'Earthworm Jim HD'. Those are direct port/HD upgrades of their originals. I dont think asking for 10 dollars more over Earthworm Jim for an HD Code Veronica is even remotely unreasonable.

You answered my control issue bit for me. As for the $10. Well this is something that goes into the used game catagory for me. Granted it is a HD upgrade but it is still games I've owned before and still have on my self, therefor it goes into used game catagory. I will re-buy a game I have already played and loved but if I am rebuying it then price is definitely a factor. $30 for both games again is a deal $40 for them really isn't. I also don't go and rebuy full price Gold Editions of game. I will wait until they are cheaper and normally if I only rented them before and would like to get all the DLC included.

Perfect Dark is a perfect comparison to Code Veronica. Perfect Dark was released in 2000, Code Veronica was 2001. Both are new coat of paint HD upgrades only Perfect dark was $10 and CV is $20.

Justin11
09-23-2011, 10:29 PM
its $29.99 here in AUS and our dollar is stronger then US.

not that outraged, kinda used to it

US pay like $49.99 RRP for games where as we pay $109.99 RRP

For every AUD we get 1.03038 USD but we pay $60 odd more

Deiran
09-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Capcom with their DLC and stuff... idk... kinda fishy you know.

Those cutscenes on Separate ways. geez man. Capcom is making some weird decisions, sometimes they look they're trying to make the most money with the least effort possible. I know they're a big company and that's what they should be doing, but at hour expense? sad face.

Deiran
09-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Wow, look at my typos, fail. Sorry everyone, I was watching Seinfield while typing that up (took like 10 min because of it too lol)

DarthSoth
09-24-2011, 12:23 AM

Here I though Australia was a day ahead, not 15 years in Canada's past. Those prices are retarded. Back in the N64 days here in Canada there were games that were $100-115. Can't believe I actually payed that for Turok and Doom.

Komrade Kayce
09-24-2011, 01:47 AM
The difference is Perfect Dark didnt age nearly as well as Code Veronica will have. Theres a reason CV is clocking in at 2.5gigs and Perfect Dark was only a couple hundred (if memory serves).

And what control thing did I answer for you? I said theres never been a crappy control version of an RE port, or controls that have made it worse. The PS2 controller had nothing to do with the RE controls, it was trying to adapt parallel sticks to use a TPS didn't work. The Wii is an unfair comparison, nothing will ever be able to top the use of the Wiimote for controls.

Nobody is forcing you to pay 40 for both either. You can just pay 19.99 for one. To me, 20 bucks for an HD version of these games is more than fair. To you, its not. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

edit: Original Perfect Dark was crammed into an N64 cart so it would have had like 32 megs to work with. You can only HD that up so much. 10 bucks was fair and reasonable for what they could do with it, its why I'm not seeing 20 as such a stretch for games that look miles better and will probably last you a lot longer.

xXImSoBalzyXx
09-24-2011, 04:43 AM
I sure think so.

CryptikZen
09-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Big big robbery.

First of all, the game was released for GC in 2005 as well as for PS2. Arguing with the fact, that there haven't been any new Minigames or even new Game Chapters (last addition were Seperate Ways and Assignment Ada for PS2) since the PS2 version, we get offered a 6 year old game.

After the Wii version with the best controls I've ever seen, we are now going to get a downgrade, because using a Controller again is absolutely back to the roots. $20 for a Downgrade? No way!

Contrary to Japanese buyers we won't get a solid medium like a disc, all we get is a download. I absolutely dislike this.

A very BIG problem: The price compared to the price of the PS3 version: All PS-Plus Members will get a special deal which allows to get Resident Evil 4 50% off in price for the first 2 weeks. Microsoft of course want to milk the customers like they always do and won't offer a fair deal. I won't pay double the price for the same game as PS3 Players.

German problem: afaik it has already been confirmed that the German Version will be cut (no Mercenaries, no Assignment Ada). I surely won't pay €20 ($27.40) for a game missing half of it's content!

Did I forget anything?

-------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Oh yeah I did! Right now the Wii-Version of RE4 is highly reduced in price. Amazon.com is offering it for $9.96. So let's compare:

- Wii Version (on a disc): $9.96
- XBox Version (Download only): $19.99

no comment....

A 6 year old game? OH NOS! EVERYBODY RUN FOR THAR HILLS!

It has a layer of polish that the Wii version did not and to be perfectly honest I thought the Wii was shit, so I really didn't feel like sitting there with my arms in the air pointing at the screen like a fool. The precision of my controller works just fine, thank you very much.

And anyone I know with half a brain sold their Wii years ago when they could get some money for it. Now you can't even give that crap away. My cousin actually cried when he opened up his Wii for Christmas last year, true story. Little kid is a shit, but he knows a good console from cow dung in a box.

A ZombieTwinkie
09-25-2011, 02:21 AM
I don't currently, but I did used to own RE4 on both the Gamecube and PS2. I went through it so many times that I probably could have gone through it in my sleep. I'll gladly pay $20 for this game. Because it's a damn good game and it's one of my all time favorites.

How many times have you spent a full $59.99 on a game, only to get half of what you would get from RE4? I'm only on chapter 3-1, but I've spent 9 hours almost on it. Where as I spent $59.99 on Driver: San Francisco and have beaten the story in roughly 6. Yea, I know there's multiplayer, but I never really did enjoy multiplayer racing/driving games.

And what about games like Halo: ODST where people payed $60 for basically a large DLC add-on?. Or what Capcom likes to do now: Put out a game, then 6 months later, put out a newer version of the game and charge you another $40?

eastx
09-25-2011, 03:23 AM
And what about games like Halo: ODST where people payed $60 for basically a large DLC add-on?. Or what Capcom likes to do now: Put out a game, then 6 months later, put out a newer version of the game and charge you another $40?

Halo ODST actually has a substantial and enjoyable campaign that can be enjoyed by 1-4 players. The Halo 3 levels are more of a bonus on top of that, plus the Firefight mode was introduced in ODST. In other words, you should leave ODST out of this. :P

A ZombieTwinkie
09-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Halo ODST actually has a substantial and enjoyable campaign that can be enjoyed by 1-4 players. The Halo 3 levels are more of a bonus on top of that, plus the Firefight mode was introduced in ODST. In other words, you should leave ODST out of this. :P

Haha. Yea, I know. But all of my Halo friends were pissed that ODST was a full retail price. They all swore it should have been $40. Yea, I enjoyed it (glad I didn't pay for it. But, then again, I didn't pay for any of the Halo games I've played) But it was just the first example to pop in my head. :p

Komrade Kayce
09-25-2011, 07:06 AM
It has a layer of polish that the Wii version did not and to be perfectly honest I thought the Wii was shit, so I really didn't feel like sitting there with my arms in the air pointing at the screen like a fool. The precision of my controller works just fine, thank you very much.

Im sorry, but you very very much sound like someone who never played the Wii version. The Wii version really does have the best controls of any version of RE4, including this newest one. Its disgusting the speed at which you can snap off headshots using the Wiimote. Picture it in your head, theres no thumbstick turning to aim, theres simply pointing at what you want to die and making it die.

Im a huge fan of the 19.99 price for re4HD, but lets not be throwing out retarded statements out there. I didnt have to point my arms at all, its why I know you haven't played it. I just sat comfortably like I was holding a video game controller in my lap and moved the wiimote every so slightly to aim.

Wii version also ran in 480p w/ an increased enemy count making it the most polished version of RE4 available at the time.

Just give credit where credit is due and dont be writing things off just because someone made a stupid statement saying the Wii Version at 9.96 is a better deal than this true-HD version at 19.99. Putting both of them side by side offers you a better version of the game on the 360 but a better controlled game on the Wii, theres benefits to both.

Cyano Khaar
09-25-2011, 09:14 AM
I love the game so I don't care how much I have to pay for it.

I think it would have been better priced at 15 dollars instead of 20 though.

Epilogue of Euphoria
09-25-2011, 03:40 PM
That's how the real world works, stuff costs money. Why do some people now-a-days think everything should be free or tailored to suit them?

MxPx
09-25-2011, 03:48 PM

My guess is Australia has a higher tariff on imported products than it does for domestically produced products. U.S. tends to go the opposite way, [And is the reason why Australian economy is thriving while the U.S. economy is in shambles...but oh wait, we'll just create more jobs by further INCREASING the tax rates on our domestic corporations, while reducing those on foreign-based companies...that'll surely decrease the export/import deficit...that makes perfect sense! Oh wait...../rant]

GonzoPoopsmith
09-25-2011, 08:47 PM
i think that for what you get, the price is a steal.

You get to play one of the best games ever made, with every bit of bonus content released for it, for $20usd. I tried to *pre order* this title, expecting to pay $39.99-$49.99 for a copy, and i was thrilled when i found out it was going to be a download at $19.99 - i'd have been happy to pay double. In fact, i've already paid for a ps2 limited steelbook copy, which cost me $60 new i think, it's been years, as well as the wii version, which offered a different gameplay experience, for $39.99 i think?

Now i'm given the option to play the definitive version of one of my favorite games of all time, with all the bells and whistles, painstakingly updated to hd with a full 1000 gamerscore of *good* achievements, no framerate hiccups that i've seen thus far, which speaks of excellent conversion quality and quality control. Bravo capcom!

To those across the pond, yes, i can see it being slightly unfair that you have to pay a couple dollars more. However, the uk isn't in the middle of a complete financial meltdown of epic proportion like the us has been for years, so consider that $20 to us is probably about equal to what you pay, given our unemployment rate, layoffs, jobs eliminated, pay cuts, etc. Not to be an insensitive yank, if you refuse to add the cost of a bloody pint or a starbucks caramel macchiato to the price of the game on principal, don't buy it. It's your loss.

what he said.

Lord Jester
09-26-2011, 02:14 AM
I to am totally outraged by the price! I should have to pay fifty bajillion dollars for this fantastic game! ;)

plinny1984
09-26-2011, 02:48 AM
if you dont like the price of the hd version, dont buy it, simple as. £15 for a remastered classic is money well spent in my opinion and im sure many RE fans will agree. If you dont like spending more than £10 on a game, you shouldnt be owning an xbox 360 console. trade it for a ps2 or n64. you can get games for pence then. whiney little bitches.

Sgt Scyther
09-26-2011, 07:41 AM
A 6 year old game? OH NOS! EVERYBODY RUN FOR THAR HILLS!

And anyone I know with half a brain sold their Wii years ago when they could get some money for it. Now you can't even give that crap away. My cousin actually cried when he opened up his Wii for Christmas last year, true story. Little kid is a shit, but he knows a good console from cow dung in a box.
Please, let's not turn this into a senseless console war. The Wii version of RE4 is the definitive version of the game.

But even so, $20 for RE4, even as a downloadable game, is more than fair of an asking price. Let me put it this way: I'd sooner pay $20 for Resident Evil 4 than I would $15 for Limbo.

Zander Soulwind
09-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I really don't mind the price, in fact I would pay double than that for it. I had played the game for hours when it came out and by god when I get it again I will play it for many hours more.

The Kenz
09-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I turned my console on, fully expecting to pay £19.99, and being happy with that.

But £14.99? Awesome!

I don't even feel as strongly about this game as the majority...obviously I like it , but it's not even my favourite RE game.

Whatever, though...I'm happy with this whole thing. Bring on more HD RE-makes!

k1lls1gn
09-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Loved the game, played the crap out of it on the PS2 and couldnt wait to play it again, fair price IMO.

CoregBlue1
09-27-2011, 01:52 AM
do some of you guys want it for free? you can´t be serious, they made a HD remake from one of the greatest games ever.

@Yiazmat
your edit is just ridicoulus, the price can´t be any lower or else everyone would think there is something wrong with it. This sin´t much even if you don´t have a job.

Capcom doesn´t deserve such a unthankful "customer".

skaman5000
09-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Oh wow.... Just saw that they released this remake on my xbox so I hopped online to scope the forums about it and saw this post.
Honestly, at first I thought whiner here was going to say he was insulted such a great game remade for his xbox 360 with updated graphics in HD was ONLY 20 US Dollars!! This isn't just some random arcade game it is a brand new release of a very good, popular game!

Now, if the game was the same graphics as before and had nothing new AT ALL in it, then I would agree it should be a lower price. BUT, it is an updated remake, not the same game. It is well worth the $20 and I would gladly pay $45 dollars for this updated version of RE4 and I'm sure any sane individual without a giant stick up his ass would do the same.

Its obvious that the creator of this post must have had this game as a kid and couldn't cope with the strategy aspect of the game and it made him feel inadequate so when he saw this release he bought it again thinking, "Oh I bet I'll get it now!" but sadly, that did not happen. Distraught and angry he hopped online and started bitching about anything he could that wouldn't let people know he only didn't like the game because he sucks at it.

HAHAHAHAH. I'm funny =]

But seriously now guy, Wahhh why don't you go tell your mommy its unfair that RE4 is higher than your weekly allowance, then go down to your room in the basement and reflect on the last 20 years of your life and ask yourself, "How did I become this?" =]

Jokes. All jokes.

Arduous Wolf
09-27-2011, 01:47 PM
I really love these threads concerning pricing. It really does surprise me the amount of people that jump to the defence of the price saying its worth it.

Fact of the matter is we get ripped of here in the UK. Everything is more expensive then it is in the US and the reason why is because people like you defend the pricing. If everybody took a stand and refused to buy the product until it was priced the same then the companies may listen and drop the price a bit. Mind you I'm to blame as well as I have purchased both of the RE titles over the last week. I still feel ripped off though, 1600 points would have been a good price, the extra 240 was a bit greedy in my book.

A non gaming example of how much we get ripped off here. I feed my dogs James Wellbeloved, a kibble brand produced here in the UK. I normally buy 2 15kg bags at a time. To buy it here in the UK it would cost me over £100 plus postage. I however order mine from Germany for just over £80 plus FREE postage. So my bags are produced in the UK, shipped to Germany and then shipped back to me and I get them approx £20 cheaper then if I brought them direct. The only way this can be explained is "RIP OFF BRITAIN":mad:

Plym
09-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Fact of the matter is we get ripped of here in the UK. Everything is more expensive then it is in the US and the reason why is because people like you defend the pricing. If everybody took a stand and refused to buy the product until it was priced the same then the companies may listen and drop the price a bit. Mind you I'm to blame as well as I have purchased both of the RE titles over the last week. I still feel ripped off though, 1600 points would have been a good price, the extra 240 was a bit greedy in my book. We are NOT getting ripped off in the UK! Have you even read all of this thread?
You can buy 2100MS Points from Amazon for £14.99, that makes the game a couple of quid less than that as you still have some points left over.

Vigor
09-27-2011, 02:55 PM

EDIT:

You just said you could get 2100 points so who are you representing here?

Veedrock
09-27-2011, 03:18 PM
BUT, it is an updated remake, not the same game.

Um, no. It's exactly the same game, just better graphics. That makes it an HD port; Halo Anniversary is a "remake," this is not.

It used to be that most re-releases were just called remakes for simplicity but with the recent influx of simple ports with HD graphics, there needs to be some distinction!

Everything is more expensive then it is in the US and the reason why is because people like you defend the pricing. If everybody took a stand and refused to buy the product until it was priced the same then the companies may listen and drop the price a bit.

Economies are not as simple as comparing currency values. The technically higher prices of UK games aren't done "because they can" like you seem think. Unfortunately economics, especially between different regions, is all very complicated and I'm far from qualified to give a lecture on it all. The short version is there's a lot that you're not aware of that justifies the bulk of things. I'm not saying everything comes out perfect (frankly the launch price of the 3DS all across Europe was a fiasco) but there's usually a lot of underlying mechanics at play that make it all work (even for your dog food situation).

And if you really want a very rough scenario, consider this. The minimum wage in the UK (that I found anyhow) is £5.93 ($9.25). The federal minimum wage in the US is $7.25 (£4.64). As you can see, UK residents technically make more money when you go with strict monetary value. Now looking at the prices of RE4 (£15 and $20), it'd take 2.5 hours for the UK wage to buy their version, and 2.8 hours for the US wage to buy their version. I guess there's grounds for the argument that the UK version is actually cheaper now!

Again, that's a really really really rough example with a very narrow focus, if there's any actual economic majors here I'd rather they not call me out :p. I'll even go as far to say it's barely applicable because the pricing difference is literally one a few dollars/pounds :/ Just trying to give a better idea of how it's not as simple as comparing monetary value.

Arduous Wolf
09-27-2011, 04:30 PM
We are NOT getting ripped off in the UK! Have you even read all of this thread?
You can buy 2100MS Points from Amazon for £14.99, that makes the game a couple of quid less than that as you still have some points left over.

Just because you are "cheating" the system, doesn't mean it's not a con. Yes you can get the points cheap from Amazon and Play, but you are getting a deal from those sellers like I do with my dog food. The actual cost of the points is more you have just found a way to get it cheaper.

Economies are not as simple as currency value. If it was that simple, things really would be priced universally. The technically higher prices of UK games aren't done "because they can" like you seem think. Unfortunately economics (especially between different regions!) is all very complicated and I'm far from qualified to give a lecture on it all. The long and short is there's a lot that you're oblivious to that explains it all. I'm not saying it all comes out perfect (Europe pricing for the 3DS was a ridiculous fiasco at launch) but there's usually a lot of backdoor mechanics that make it all work (even for your dog food scenario).

And if you really want a very rough scenario, consider this. The minimum wage in the UK (that I found anyhow) is £5.93 ($9.25). The federal minimum wage in the US is $7.25 (£4.64). As you can see, UK residents technically make more money when you go with strict monetary value. Now looking at the prices of RE4 (£15 and $20), it'd take 2.5 hours for the UK wage to buy their version, and 2.8 hours for the US wage to buy their version. I guess there's grounds for the argument that the UK version is actually cheaper now!

Again, that's a really really really rough example with a very narrow focus, if there's any actual economic majors here I'd rather they not call me out :p. I'll even go as far to say it's barely applicable because the pricing difference is literally one a few dollars/pounds :/ Just trying to give a better idea of how it's not as simple as comparing monetary value.

Actually, although I am no expert myself I do know its not as simple as that. However, yes we get a higher wage in the UK but that is generally because our cost of living is higher then in the US. You don't need to earn as much because things like rent and groceries are cheaper. I have a friend living in Buffalo NY. Even though I used to earn more then her, she had much more disposable income then me at the end of every month because her bills where alot cheaper. Although in these troubled times I'm guessing the difference between the US and the UK will lessen.

When the difference is only a few $/£ then I attribute this to the difference between the economics of our countries. However all to often the differences between prices can be 100's and even 1000's of $/£. As a long time importer I have seen it all. I don't care what the state of a countries economics is you should not be able to but the exact same modal car from the US, import it to the UK paying delivery cost and import duties and then pay to have it converted from left hand drive to right hand drive. And still pay £5000 less then buying it in the UK. This is what happened to my uncle about 15 years ago with a sports car, he is the one that taught me about the benefits of importing, because the UK will just screw you over.

What this really has to do with Resident Evil 4 though I don't know, so I'll just shut up now. :p

Plym
09-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Just because you are "cheating" the system, doesn't mean it's not a con. Yes you can get the points cheap from Amazon and Play, but you are getting a deal from those sellers like I do with my dog food. The actual cost of the points is more you have just found a way to get it cheaper. Using today's exchange rate, the difference in price is £1.24. £1.24!!!!! You are complaining about a price difference of £1.24?
That is hardly ripping us off.

CoregBlue1
09-27-2011, 05:57 PM
some arguments are recently really funny in this thread.

i can´t get it in my head how people can complain about this bit of money for a game thats worth much more. then just don´t buy it? why making a thread about his anyway.

people gonna bitch about everything.

Arduous Wolf
09-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Using today's exchange rate, the difference in price is £1.24. £1.24!!!!! You are complaining about a price difference of £1.24?
That is hardly ripping us off.

Wow, you really feel strongly about this don't you. Do you work for Capcom or something?

Anyway I probably can't change your mind just like you can't change mine. Everybody has their own opinion and ours differ. So I hope there is no hard feelings ;)

the action frampton
09-27-2011, 10:36 PM
If you buy 2100 points from amazon, then 1600 = £11.43 !!!

Deal in my book

The Lazy Pyro
09-28-2011, 05:45 AM
For the record, the price is actually insulted by you.

Ashley Graham
09-28-2011, 07:38 AM
I think it's a fair price, great game and good amount of content.

Plym
09-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Wow, you really feel strongly about this don't you. Do you work for Capcom or something?

Anyway I probably can't change your mind just like you can't change mine. Everybody has their own opinion and ours differ. So I hope there is no hard feelings ;) I'm not stating an opinion, I'm stating facts.
Re-read my posts, I have explained how the UK is not being ripped off due to price of MS Points and the exchange rate.
Seems very petty of you to complain about £1 difference. You must feel very strongly about this ;)

Arduous Wolf
09-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Seems very petty of you to complain about £1 difference. You must feel very strongly about this ;)

Okay! I try to end things on a good note and you just try to insult me by calling me petty. Pot, kettle, black?

Plym
09-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Your patronising shady wink and 'I must work for Capcom' comment wasn't you trying to end it on a good note.
You seem to be ignoring the facts presented to you and are now trying to get the last word in because you look foolish saying the UK is being ripped off.

Ragnarok9415
09-29-2011, 04:12 AM
fair price considering the fact that capcom actually took the time to refilter the graphics and put the game on xbl with achievement support... also most copies of RE4 i used to find before this came out were at least $14.99 US... now if only we could get RE Zero with online coop i'd be very happy.

joe joe
09-29-2011, 11:34 AM
£14.99 is cheap for the hours of game play

jordan1979
09-29-2011, 01:07 PM
How did I know before opening this that the OP would be British?