PDA

View Full Version : Awful Controls

Mr Blonde 324
09-21-2011, 12:47 AM
now before i instantly get flamed, i played this game literally 30+ times on gamecube. a few on ps2 and again on the wii. so i understand theyre kinda clunky but while playing this version, just walking is such a hassle. often times ill stutterstep or just plain not move at all. running is quite a bit better but still i just stand in one place too. anyone else having this kinda problem?

i got squeezed
09-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Change it Type II controls, then problem solved.

Le Vampyr
09-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Are you using control type I or II? I'm using II, as it feels similar to the RE5 control layout, therefore it's more familiar and it didn't take me long to get used to them. :)

Annalie
09-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Change it Type II controls, then problem solved.

^^^^^Yup what he said.

CuddlyREDRUM
09-21-2011, 04:45 AM
I thought this was about Gears of War 3.

Mr Blonde 324
09-21-2011, 05:54 AM
ive been playing with type 2 since i started. literally just pushing forward on the stick makes me either not move at all or move in a very jittery fashion. problem not solved

Schism
09-21-2011, 05:57 AM
ive been playing with type 2 since i started. literally just pushing forward on the stick makes me either not move at all or move in a very jittery fashion. problem not solved

maybe your just to use to the xbox? and the controller/control setting. Gamecube controller feels weird as fuck haha

Mr Blonde 324
09-21-2011, 06:00 AM
i always thought the gamecube version moved very fluidly. especially when just walking cause i hated to run but this is almost unbearable. im surprised im the only person having this issue. and i dont think it has anything at all to do with the xbox itself or the controller. all my other games are working as they should. this is just...weird

hahaha_mnky_boy
09-21-2011, 06:52 AM
...yeah your not the only one, owned & played both the gamecube & wii versions... so much easier back then... these xbox controls are just f#cked! (not happy) "grr"...

gingeee85
09-21-2011, 07:17 AM
ps3 controls are much worse

hahaha_mnky_boy
09-21-2011, 07:46 AM
...haha, I just set up my old gamecube with RE4... f#cking 100x easier than xbox...

CDAWGYDAWG911
09-21-2011, 08:09 AM
to me the controls are fine but the right stick camera is rly bad in my opinion, i feel like it doesnt help the situation wen running because controlling the camera is so clunky tht it mite make the running seem weird.

OptimumJay
09-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Yeah I found the controls to be wierd after not using GC controls for a few years now, and instinct always seems to get in the way when being used to using the right analogue stick to look around, other than that though I'm reliving some serious nostalgia right now :P

INTY
09-21-2011, 09:03 AM
I have to agree, the controls are pretty poor, and there are a few issues wit turning, and the camera. To me, this looks like a pretty sloppy port of a god game.

BUZZARDIO 1080
09-21-2011, 09:21 AM
yeah ,the controls are funny but as optimum says above, it just the instinct to use the right stick as were all so used to,.anyway, after a few hours you soon get used to it again, and it is gold.

Free Beer
09-21-2011, 03:01 PM
You're just being a little girl about it. The controls are exactly the same as GC. Switch to type 2 cuz you're probably used to the xbox, don't bother with the right stick unless stationary. Always use your quick turn for maneuverability. After like 2 sub chapters you wont even notice it anymore and will be completely used to it. Stop whining and just play and adapt to the control like you have to do with every other game. Noob.

wright3034
09-21-2011, 03:03 PM
i always thought the gamecube version moved very fluidly. especially when just walking cause i hated to run but this is almost unbearable. im surprised im the only person having this issue. and i dont think it has anything at all to do with the xbox itself or the controller. all my other games are working as they should. this is just...weird

you're not the only one having this issue, in fact someone already started a thread about it...

Mr Blonde 324
09-21-2011, 03:06 PM
if you had read the other posts, it has NOTHING to do with the right stick or 'getting used to it'. when holding the moving stick forward to move...and nothing happens? its not me or the controls and ive been using control type 2. its the game being shit in that respect

TakahashiDemon
09-21-2011, 03:28 PM
I thought this was about Gears of War 3.

In a Resident Evil 4 forum?

Anyways I've played games with worst controls so I think I can handle making Leon walk.. its just quick turn arounds are something that's needed in this game >.> so many times I've died because the turning around is too slow.

Mr Blonde 324
09-21-2011, 03:31 PM
there is a quick turnaround function. hold down on the left stick and press A = instant turnaround. its even in the ingame guide they give you

TakahashiDemon
09-21-2011, 04:00 PM
there is a quick turnaround function. hold down on the left stick and press A = instant turnaround. its even in the ingame guide they give you

Well thats me and not reading those things for ya XD

But thats good to know, now I should have no problem with the controls.

Shawty71
09-21-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm coming off of playing Dead Space 1&2 and I definitely think these controls suck. If only the moved the aim control to the right stick! I don't remember it being this bad when I beat the crap out of the gamecube version. Type II doesn't work either because I just can't aim with my left thumb like I used to.

8BitSoul
09-21-2011, 11:55 PM
I also played RE4 on GC back in when it came out. I'll admit the controls where a bit stiff back then, but overall, not bad at all. Something must have gone wrong during this port though, as I don't remember the aiming or walking feeling this stiff on the GC. I'm not wearing nostalgia glasses either, as I just played through RE4 on GC back in March, and the controls felt a lot smoother than this... I still enjoy playing RE4 in HD on my xbox very much. However, I do feel they could have updated the controls to match more modern type of games. It's frustrating as hell, using A to run, and X to shoot. On GC it was the other way around, but they changed it to resemble RE5, I guess. The shooting on the other hand, is just like it was in RE4 on GC, only they changed the shooting button from A to X. It feels like a mix between the two, and it can cause a lot of frustration at first. It took me almost 30 min to get used to it, and I'm still pressing A to shoot at certain points. Nontheless, a great game, and still one of last gens best! It's just a shame Capcom didn't take their time with this port and update the textures a bit and tweak the controls to better fit the 360.

DarkReign2021
09-22-2011, 12:06 AM
I won't deny the controls are quite horrendous (I haven't tried type II yet, but it's not looking like this will fix my issue with the controls anyway), but for the most part the game does handle almost exactly like the other iterations. I think most of us were, dare I say it, spoiled by Resident Evil 5. As bad as RE5 was in almost every other department, I won't deny that it nailed the controls down for the new shooter-based elements of the recent games.

I personally think the button layout in RE4 is poorly devised and doesn't effectively utilize the design of the 360 controller compared to the original Gamecube controller (which is the true and best version of this game in my opinion.) Seriously, shooting is Right Trigger and X? Terrible idea. I'm thinking:

Shooting: Left Trigger to aim, right trigger to shoot.
Knife: Left bumper to aim, right trigger to swing.
Reload: Right Trigger + X
Activate: A
Dash: Right Bumper
Run Forward/Backward: Left Analog
Turn Right/Left: Right Analog.
Inventory: Y
Map: B

I think that covers everything and I feel it would've been far more intuitive. When I played the PC version I used this configuration with my 360 controller and it did wonders.

Warden1972
09-22-2011, 12:10 AM
I don't get the complaints here from those who've played it before. I played this at least three times across both Gamecube and PS2, and this version only felt odd because i was out of practice. I've grown accustomed to RE5 controls but other than that the 360 version seems spot on to me.

Komrade Kayce
09-22-2011, 03:42 AM
Spot on for me too. Frustrating because I was spoiled by the Wii version with wiimote aiming a few years back, but its consistant with how I remember my GC version so no big deal.

I just dont think you guys have played RE4 pre-Wii in a while. Leon has always had really bad crack addict jitters.

Cyano Khaar
09-22-2011, 03:47 AM
I've played the game on the GC, PS2, and Wii so the Type 1 controls felt clunky for about the first 30 minutes, but then I got back into the swing of things no problem.

Type 2 I don't like. Type 1 feels more like I remember it from the older resi 4 versions to me for some reason.

Give it some time and you'll get back into it. Now it's all second nature.

GamerBug UK
09-22-2011, 08:18 AM
My only wish was for the aiming to be right stick and moving left, but alas that didn't happen.

Honestly it's like trying to remember how not to play a game, and I played RE4 back on the PS2 to death. Shows you how good we had it with RE5's controls.

I feel if I can just get my mind to forget there is a second (and for this game pointless) analogue stick I'll be fine.

UCB Disco
09-22-2011, 10:11 AM
I came in here specifically to complain about the same thing. It's terribly sad when both the Gamecube and Wii versions of Resident Evil 4 have 100x better controls than the HD versions of the game. Honestly, even before downloading this HD version, I found it hard to believe that any version would have better controls than the Wii one. It actually made Resident Evil 4 feel fresh again.

However, this 360 HD port feels stale, because I can't control Leon for the life of me. It's seriously like the right analog stick is completely useless, especially when moving the camera.

You would think that they spent enough time updating the graphics that they could change the controls to match that of the Resident Evil 5 controls. If that would've been the case, this would have been a perfect port. Obviously, that's not the case, sadly.

xplanetpiscesx
09-23-2011, 01:04 AM
I find Type II works great. The only think I don't like about the controls in general is the jerky turning with the left analog stick while walking. I would have really liked a slower, more well-controlled "arcing" turn.

Madjackal
09-23-2011, 02:07 AM
I though the controls were just fine.... maybe because I played 5 and were already use to the controls but they're really not that hard to get down

macgyver893
09-23-2011, 03:48 AM
Meh, everyone complaining is just used to the current gen shooters and gravitate toward the right analog stick. This is just an HD remake of the game, not a total overhaul. Keep playing and you'll get used to it. If not, then just quit and go play your Call of Duty.

JuSt BLaZe
09-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Meh, everyone complaining is just used to the current gen shooters and gravitate toward the right analog stick. This is just an HD remake of the game, not a total overhaul. Keep playing and you'll get used to it. If not, then just quit and go play your Call of Duty.

Haha nothing more to add. Now that we finally getting the honor to play it on our Xbox360 including Achievements they still complain right. People will always find something they don't like, even if it's a little thing.

crispykiller96
09-23-2011, 06:12 AM
i just made a threat not knowing this was posted an hour ago :eek: lol
ok the controls are ok i guess but why the fuck cant i use the right analogue stick to aim my gun like resident evil 5 seriously WTF how do i fix this what a load of shite

OptimumJay
09-23-2011, 01:57 PM
People need to calm down and realise it's just a port. If you go back and play the GC version it would play exactly the same. Just enjoy the game for what it is- pure awesome

redsmoke7
09-23-2011, 05:50 PM
it seems like it would be easy to release an update with one more control scheme.. just swap the function of the left and right stick.. i mean come on capcom

Komrade Kayce
09-23-2011, 06:06 PM
You people coming off 5 having never played 4 before throwing a fit about the controls makes me smile a little inside.

And as for you people complaining that Capcom didnt assign aiming to the right stick, ohwell. Its the original controls for an HD PORT (PORT PORT PORT) of the Wii version, which if you recall, using a gamecube controller with also made the right stick do nothing.

Why not fix it then with the use of the Classic Controller? This isnt the first time they had the chance to 'fix' the controls. There was the PS2 version and then the Wii version three years ago or so. The controls remained the same.

Because they didnt. Theres no need to. They didn't 'OVERHAUL' the control scheme at all, they added controls for the Wiimote. But didn't change anything about the GC/CC controls. And aiming feels about the same using a 360 controller compared to a GC one. Maybe the GC thumbstick was a bit stickier and made Leon aim slower, but thats about it.

Bitch bitch bitch. Be happy you got an HD release of this game with everything (including controls) included for 20 bucks. Capcom these days was far more likely to sell you RE4 for 20 bucks, then Seperate Ways as a 100kb add on, Assignment Ada for 800 points, etc etc.

I get the feeling you guys wont touch Code Veronica. Or you will, and then go 'omg! Its not over the shoulder aiming? What garbage is this!'.