PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Fix The Controls ?

crispykiller96
09-23-2011, 06:06 AM
:mad:Ok i Downloaded this game 10 mins ago and the control system is awefull i wanted near Resident Evil 5 Style I changed the controle settings to type 2 in the settings but the NOT being able to aim you're gun with the right analogue stick is annoying me how do i fix this

thanks

Joe

UCB Disco
09-23-2011, 06:09 AM
You can't. Capcom screwed the pooch on this one. This could have been an EASY addition to an updated RE4, especially when it's designed for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Unfortunately, they decided to not give a crap about the controls and keep them exactly like the Gamecube controls. For me, this cripples the game, because I naturally want to use the right stick to control the camera on the 360 controller. On the Gamecube controller, it's a different story, because the "right stick" was actually the C-pad.

I REALLY hope they decide to patch this and fix the controls, but I highly, highly doubt they will.

crispykiller96
09-23-2011, 06:18 AM
You can't. Capcom screwed the pooch on this one. This could have been an EASY addition to an updated RE4, especially when it's designed for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Unfortunately, they decided to not give a crap about the controls and keep them exactly like the Gamecube controls. For me, this cripples the game, because I naturally want to use the right stick to control the camera on the 360 controller. On the Gamecube controller, it's a different story, because the "right stick" was actually the C-pad.

I REALLY hope they decide to patch this and fix the controls, but I highly, highly doubt they will.

i think the control scheme on this is ok for the most part i just cant stand the left analogue to aim part i hope this is fixed sometime also off topic this game looks somewhat impressive but i think they could have made this a little better like the pc version with all the HD and upgraded graphic patches/mods that it had nice try capcom but you could have yweaked this game a little more

softerxsin495
09-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Unfortunately, your only options are Type I and Type II for controls.

ExoSin
09-23-2011, 07:32 AM
I thought the cotrols were actually pretty good. (when it was on the gamecube)

I played the game a short bit on 360 and was actually rather horrified, but you'll get used to them pretty fast. Especially if you've played the gamecube version. Shortly after rescuing Luis for the first time I was used to the controls again.

Dirty130
09-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Took less then an hour for the feel to come back and it's been fine since then. Less complaining, more playing and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Wait until Code Veronica hits next week, then people are really going to complain about out-dated control schemes, lol..

EliteShadowMan
09-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Controls aren't that bad after i switched to Type II.

It's really not that hard at all to aim with the Left Stick, it's more so getting used to it than anything. In which i'm only on chapter 2-3 and i'm used to aiming already in the game.

JuSt BLaZe
09-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Controls aren't that bad after i switched to Type II.

It's really not that hard at all to aim with the Left Stick, it's more so getting used to it than anything. In which i'm only on chapter 2-3 and i'm used to aiming already in the game.

EXACTLY, all these post about having trouble with the controls starting to get on my nerves. GET USED TO IT!

I have no complaints at all with it. Besides I focus more on the story than on controls.

Holiday9357
09-23-2011, 02:28 PM
I also miss being able to strafe with the left stick and look around with the right. The ability to do this made the dungeon in Lost in Nightmares on professional alot easier, and just made control easier in general.

EliteShadowMan
09-24-2011, 07:38 AM
I also miss being able to strafe with the left stick and look around with the right. The ability to do this made the dungeon in Lost in Nightmares on professional alot easier, and just made control easier in general.

But that's Resident Evil 5, so get over it.

All the people that haven't played RE4 before, are complaining way to much about the controls. You realize that was RE5???? i game released about 4 years after RE4. Of course the controls are going to be better in most sequels.

Let me tell all you spoiled assholes something. Try playing this game on the PC like i did originally and then come back to me and tell me your not satisfied with the controls on the console.

Sgt Scyther
09-24-2011, 07:56 AM
I really don't get all these complaints I'm seeing about the controls. Of course, I played this game a million times on the GameCube, but I got used to the controls in an instant.

JuSt BLaZe
09-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Besides, if you choose TYPE II, you will also be able to successfully do some Quick-Time-Events during bossfights.

For example:

In Seperate Ways: The last fight with Saddler. I was simply standing the control room upstairs, waited till he come and then he was all the time in front of me, triggering his heavy attacks and I was already aiming & shooting with :ltbut:+:rtbut: and when the buttons showed up to dodge his attacks most of the time it was also :ltbut:+:rtbut:, less than :abut:+:xbut: so you dodge automatically.

Warden1972
09-24-2011, 11:44 AM
With patience and practice.

shakesth3clown1
09-24-2011, 12:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I first started playing but it really isnt that difficult to adjust, on that note it seems like after going through the effort of making it in HD and re-releasing this game they could have updated the controls so yea Capcom kinda dropped the ball in that department.

Baliano
09-24-2011, 02:19 PM
But that's Resident Evil 5, so get over it.

All the people that haven't played RE4 before, are complaining way to much about the controls. You realize that was RE5???? i game released about 4 years after RE4. Of course the controls are going to be better in most sequels.

Let me tell all you spoiled assholes something. Try playing this game on the PC like i did originally and then come back to me and tell me your not satisfied with the controls on the console.

You're missing the point. An HD remake is a perfect opportunity to modernize the controls. And in this case, it would have been easy to map aiming to the right stick.

WaahhJedi
09-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Mapping the controls to the right stick is pointless. It might make you feel better about your "natural" way of playing but that's because you're used to being able to look without aiming. RE4 requires you to stay still in order to aim, no need to take your thumb off the face buttons. Even if they patch the game and give you a Type 3 option, it won't change that fact. You'll just be doing twice as much work.

Baliano
09-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Mapping the controls to the right stick is pointless. It might make you feel better about your "natural" way of playing but that's because you're used to being able to look without aiming. RE4 requires you to stay still in order to aim, no need to take your thumb off the face buttons. Even if they patch the game and give you a Type 3 option, it won't change that fact. You'll just be doing twice as much work.

Mapping aim to the right stick would emulate RE5 style controls.

WaahhJedi
09-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Could you move while aiming in RE5?

Baliano
09-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Could you move while aiming in RE5?

You could not move while aiming in RE5. RE5 plays the same as RE4, but the control scheme was refined.

WaahhJedi
09-24-2011, 03:13 PM
I haven't played RE5 since it came out so I don't remember how well that worked. Either way, this is "RE4 in HD", not "RE4 plus some changes to make it modern". There are two options. Get used to the controls or don't play it.

A ZombieTwinkie
09-24-2011, 08:14 PM
You're missing the point. An HD remake is a perfect opportunity to modernize the controls. And in this case, it would have been easy to map aiming to the right stick.

Not entirely. High Definition has nothing to do with controls. It's a chance to bring the game to new platforms, with updated graphics and some added content. And that's pretty much what Capcom did.

I played the crap out of this on the Gamecube and the PS2. Yea, jumping into this game after playing modern day shooters is a little challenging. But after playing for a bit, you get used to the controls again. I'm still playing on Type 1 controls and having very little difficulty.

You just have to be more.... 'Control Adaptable'. Not every game is going to be the same, obviously. It might take a little bit to get used to controls, but it's better than coming to a forum and bitching about how 'crappy the controls are' and wishing something would be done.

In the time you spent loading up your browser, getting to the forums, finding this sub-section, starting this thread/adding to it. You could have had more time to try to get used to the controls. Instead of playing the game for 5 minutes and getting mad because the controls aren't how you would prefer them, just try to get used to 'em.

crispykiller96
09-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Took less then an hour for the feel to come back and it's been fine since then. Less complaining, more playing and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Wait until Code Veronica hits next week, then people are really going to complain about out-dated control schemes, lol..

Yes code veronica x love that game yer am used to it now for the most part but it should have classic controls gamecube style then say type 2 should be newer xbox 360 controls i think that would work well :woop:

A ZombieTwinkie
09-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Yes code veronica x love that game yer am used to it now for the most part but it should have classic controls gamecube style then say type 2 should be newer xbox 360 controls i think that would work well :woop:

Yea. But it's Capcom. It would be too easy for them. Their the company that will throw out a game, and then 6 months later their like, "Well, that was basically a $60 demo. Here's what we'll call a 're-release' of the same game with the improvements that we could do through a patch, but would much rather have you pay another $40 for. And, you can't play with the people who have the first release. You need to get this one to play. Yea, that sounds like a great idea!!"

DarkReign2021
09-24-2011, 11:32 PM
I have to say people aren't giving this game enough of a chance. I myself am guilty of this as I came in and complained a bit in a different thread (and probably got blasted in it. I'm afraid to look) about the 1-analog controls and the button mapping. Honestly though, after switching to Type II, it really catches on quickly. By time I reached the Lake, I was able to deftly control Leon again. I've still got quite a bit of work before I'm back to the skill level I developed on the Gamecube version, but it's a work in progress.

RE4 is infinitely superior to RE5 in every other way and any fan of the series owes it to themselves to play and beat this game at least a couple times (you gotta enjoy the greatness of the Infinite Rocket Launcher and HandCannon or at the very least the Chicago Typewriter. I'm a Halo fanatic and proud of it since 2001, but if I had to recommend a single game to play in the 6th console generation, it would be Resident Evil 4. It was that amazing.

UCB Disco
09-25-2011, 09:59 AM
EXACTLY, all these post about having trouble with the controls starting to get on my nerves. GET USED TO IT!

I have no complaints at all with it. Besides I focus more on the story than on controls.

That's the stupid part. We SHOULDN'T HAVE TO GET USED TO IT! This is an updated version of Resident Evil 4. Not a direct port. If it was the latter, I would be accepting of the control schemes. However, that's not the case. This was designed specifically for the Xbox 360 and PS3, both of which have dual-analog controls that would have made the controls for this game SO much better than on the Gamecube (And possibly even the Wii).

What's the point going backwards in control schemes when Capcom could have quite literally taken 5 minutes out of their time to update the controls for this game as well?

Simply this; If you're spending the time and money to make an updated version of a game and don't even bother mapping out the controls to suit the control pad for the systems you are designing for, well, that's just plain stupid.

GSTAR321
09-25-2011, 10:42 AM
You could not move while aiming in RE5. RE5 plays the same as RE4, but the control scheme was refined.

Im with you Baliano.

The most major gripe I had was like you said ... not being able to aim with the right stick like RE5.

But I have gotten used to it now. Even though on some occasions I still mistakenly rotate the camera view instead of aiming and shooting.

At the end of the day ... they could have made it better. But they didn't. So theres nothing we can do about it. But I agree 100% with you dude.

Most of these 'HD Remakes' and so forth nowdays are just cash grabs by the developers, so this sort of stuff is to be expected. Just look at the atrocious quality and state of online play in 'Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection'.

KayCeaEffahless
09-25-2011, 11:34 AM
That's the stupid part. We SHOULDN'T HAVE TO GET USED TO IT! This is an updated version of Resident Evil 4. Not a direct port. If it was the latter, I would be accepting of the control schemes. However, that's not the case. This was designed specifically for the Xbox 360 and PS3, both of which have dual-analog controls that would have made the controls for this game SO much better than on the Gamecube (And possibly even the Wii).

What's the point going backwards in control schemes when Capcom could have quite literally taken 5 minutes out of their time to update the controls for this game as well?

Simply this; If you're spending the time and money to make an updated version of a game and don't even bother mapping out the controls to suit the control pad for the systems you are designing for, well, that's just plain stupid.

I agree with you on that 100%. Cashcom..*ahem* Capcom is becoming infamous for it's short comings are far as games go:( And honestly paying for something that I have to compromise on seems like it takes a lack of common sense. We're consumers so we have a right to want something, and to ask for how we would like something to be. That's like me going to buy a car and I see that air conditioning doesn't work, I ask the dealer if he could fix that and he tells me to stop Bitching =_=...

Doesn't make much sense does it? It's really just the little details that make the big difference. Don't get me wrong I love that they ported one of my favorite games for me to play again. And it is true that the controls are..meh..but you CAN get used to them. But still having a more modernized control would've been a good way to show attention to detail......Oh well in a perfect world maybe('_'?)

(Before I get BLASTED, let me add that I'm not "Bitching". I'm just stating my opinion:p)

BROKEN POLYGONS
09-25-2011, 07:36 PM
hells yeah dude! i am so used to "modern controls" that getting used to the old school again will hurt a bit but it will be a good thing in the end. cashcom hahahaha

crispykiller96
09-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I agree with you on that 100%. Cashcom..*ahem* Capcom is becoming infamous for it's short comings are far as games go:( And honestly paying for something that I have to compromise on seems like it takes a lack of common sense. We're consumers so we have a right to want something, and to ask for how we would like something to be. That's like me going to buy a car and I see that air conditioning doesn't work, I ask the dealer if he could fix that and he tells me to stop Bitching =_=...

Doesn't make much sense does it? It's really just the little details that make the big difference. Don't get me wrong I love that they ported one of my favorite games for me to play again. And it is true that the controls are..meh..but you CAN get used to them. But still having a more modernized control would've been a good way to show attention to detail......Oh well in a perfect world maybe('_'?)

(Before I get BLASTED, let me add that I'm not "Bitching". I'm just stating my opinion:p)

good point mate i wasnt bothered about the no extra content in the game or features i jujst wanted a redifined resi 4 its good for everything BUT the controls i play resident evil 5 too and i cant switch between them its just not possible as i said capcom please patch it so

Type 1 controls = Gamecube
Type 2 controls = Xbox 360 Resident Evil 5 Like

I don't know what crack they were on when they decided the type 1 default controls there horrendous :drunk

MEGATOOL
10-02-2011, 06:55 AM
I found an easy way to fix the controls. By the Datel XBox 360 TurboFire 2 Wireless Controller. It's fully programmable and let's you swap the left and right sticks. That way you can still move with the D-pad and aim with the right stick. Works perfectly. I played through the entire game with and it was so much better than trying to get used to an archaic control scheme.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-turbofire-2-wireless-controller/84574

EliteShadowMan
10-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Oh my god it's not even that big of a deal. Do half you people just complain for the fuck of it? how hard is it to literally forget about using the right stick to aim, and instead use the left?

I've played every version of RE4 and i don't really see the issue here. You don't get to move while you aim so i don't see why the rightstick would be important. I know it's hard to find a fault with such an awesome game so come on you guys! ;)

Thicketford
10-17-2011, 05:56 PM
I agree that this was a missed opportunity to update the controls. I'm left handed, so aiming with the left stick is no problem for me. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for right handers.

I've lost count of the number of games that don't have left handed options, so I have to put up with stuff like this more often than most people.

All games should have fully customisable controls.

DocRevolt
10-17-2011, 06:00 PM
RE4 controls > RE5 controls. Just get used to them.

a7x4lyf3
10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Re5 controls are actually better but ok...Anyway type 2 is the way to go if you don't like default, the only issue with type 2 is that you still have to use left stick to aim.

Creeping monte
10-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Omg-lmfao! The ppl complainin bout the ppl complainin bout the controls sound like the whiny bitches. At least the rapid fire controller was a useful suggestion. Thnx

The controls are totally tanked. It does add to the feeling of panic- lol. I originally played this on the Wii and it was awesome! To re-release this was the opportunity lost to make it great. Sorry Crapcom, im not buyin Veronica now that im sufferin this.

DanceRandyDance
11-05-2011, 11:02 AM
I agree that this was a missed opportunity to update the controls. I'm left handed, so aiming with the left stick is no problem for me. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for right handers.

I've lost count of the number of games that don't have left handed options, so I have to put up with stuff like this more often than most people.

All games should have fully customisable controls.

I agree with this, this is my first time playing this game and being left handed, I've been able to jump right in with no difficulties with the controls, however, most games take some getting used to as so much is dependent on your right hand, and for me it feels so unnatural.

IIxSUPERMANxII
12-09-2011, 10:01 PM
just bought this. aiming with the left stick is vastly different for me so hopefully i can get use to it quickly so i can enjoy this game for the masterpiece it is.

Stealth Bomber
12-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Omg-lmfao! The ppl complainin bout the ppl complainin bout the controls sound like the whiny bitches.

i agree, specially eliteshadowman lol

Kite87
01-05-2012, 06:09 PM
After I got used to the controls again, I became really happy with them. Being left handed I have to stretch my thumb over to the right stick on modern shooters when I need to be more precise.

Doc Lolly
02-11-2012, 04:00 AM
At first it annoyed me that that u couldn't aim with the right stick on Type II. But after a couple of hours of getting mixed up i got used to using the left stick. With the turbo controller you could map it to the right side but then you also have to deal with the awkwardness of using a 3rd party controller, so catch 22.

side topic

the op should add a poll to this thread

Which group of people are the bigger babies?

A. Whaaa why doesn't this have Re 5 controls :( this is dumb

B. :rant:Whaaa suck it up assholes this is Re 4 not Re 5 whaaa your noobs :chair

c. rational people who actually replied like a normal person.

Devinchi
02-15-2012, 08:16 PM
#firstworldproblems

Don't see the big deal, this is the way it used to be and I'm glad they kept it, it adds to the nostalgia for me. I do have to get used to it again but that's just a minor inconvenience and it really doesn't matter in the long run. I can't believe that people can't make a slight change in their play style for one game. God damn modern gamers make me sick.

TheMasterSword7
03-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Capcom should have kept the gamecube controls and added an updated version for all the people who played RE5. I don't mean they should add strafing game, but there is no reason to not make this easy addition to the controls. It doesn't surprise me that Capcom made a lazy decision though. Go pick up the disk version of this game for the PC and then come back and complain about bad controls. SPOILER: The game has no mouse support...NONE!