PDA

View Full Version : Which is the weapon of choice?

Tommy Gun 81
09-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey folks, i played this a couple of years ago and hardly remember anything. I finished chapter 1-1 and met the merchant the first time now with approximately 40k in hand...

...what is the weapon to play with beside the handgun? I can buy the TMP(best for the shooting range cheevo), the sniper rifle or the Rocket launcher...can i store those things somewhere???

Which weapon is the one to upgrade first?

Bulldog LXXIII
09-23-2011, 12:36 PM
As you will be getting/shooting the blue medallions no doubt - 10 needed for the 'punisher' special weapon (free of charge too) then I would not spend any money really on upgrading your pistol.

When I met him for the first time I increased the size of my attache case bought the TMP and upgraded the capacity on my shotgun.

No, you cannot buy items that you cannot carry as there is no external storage for you to use outside of the size of your case.

JuSt BLaZe
09-23-2011, 01:07 PM
...what is the weapon to play with beside the handgun?

Handguns: Red9 (most powerful)/Blacktail (better handling & capacity)
Shotguns: Striker (largest magazine of 100 with Exclusive Upgrade)
Snipers: Semi-Auto Rifle (just beast damage)

I can buy the TMP(best for the shooting range cheevo)

No need to buy this crap, you'll get it for free from the merchant @ each shooting range.

, the sniper rifle or the Rocket launcher...can i store those things somewhere???

Always have a Rocket Launcher in your inventory as back-up & bossfights. Most of the time you'll get half of the money back you paid for it.

Which weapon is the one to upgrade first?

Handguns: Silver Ghost/Punisher until to get the above mentioned.
Shotguns: Remington M870 but I'd rather prefer the Benelli M4 Super 90 until you can buy the Striker.

Save your money for bigger attache case etc.

Hope this helps. ;)

Tommy Gun 81
09-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys, i will sell the TMP next time i meet the merchant. I sold the normal gun and got the Punisher.

The Rocket Launcher just right before boss fights or always in the bag?

JuSt BLaZe
09-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys, i will sell the TMP next time i meet the merchant. I sold the normal gun and got the Punisher.

The Rocket Launcher just right before boss fights or always in the bag?

About the TMP, you will only get it for the shooting range, as soon as you leave the area you give it back automatically.

Rocket Launcher:
Just before bossfights is good enough, if you know when the next one will show up. No need to carry it with you all the time.

L0cke89
09-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Get the Punisher, sell it and use the money to buy the Red9 or wait for the Blacktail in 3-1 (which I prefer, because of the handling)

I normally use the beginning shotgun and never upgrade it till I can buy the striker, than use all the money I gathered to upgrade everything I can as quick as possible.

Before that always upgrade the case, always have one rocket launcher right before boss fights (always a merchant around) and only buy the semi-auto rifle. That is the only weapon beside the Striker and Red9/Blacktail you should buy. Get it in 3-1 and upgrade only the damage. If you're low on ammo, you can also upgrade the capacity for some free shots.

If you know where the treasures are and look for some money, you should have no problem getting everything you want. Also remember that there are treasures with little holes in them Wait till you find the gems for them and combine to get a treasure worth around 20.000, instead of the 13.000 you would get for all of them seperatly.

Robioto
09-23-2011, 03:40 PM
This is my favourite setup:

- Handgun - Don't upgrade, sell when Punisher is available.
> Punisher - 1.1 fire power (0.1 more than the HG) and you get it for free, don't upgrade, sell when Red 9 is available.
> Red 9 - IMO the best handgun on the game, upgrade it all the way to the exclusive, which is an amazing 6.5 fire power, don't bother with the stock it's a waste of inventory and doesn't make that much difference.

- Shotgun - Upgrade fire power when you can, upgrade capacity for free shells, sell when Striker is available. As the Striker isn't about until the end of 4-1. It is well worth the invesment in the standard Shotgun as you will have it for so long and will help on tougher parts like the Water Room and the Maze.
> Striker - Upgrade it all the way to the exclusive, again its exclusive is amazing gives you 100 capacity and therefore loads of free shells.

- Rifle - You don't really need it until you get to Chapter 3 at the castle, updrade it all the way to exclusive which is an amazing 30 fire power. I have a habit of buying it in Chapter 1-2 not upgrading it and then selling it in Chapter 2-1 so I have space for Grenades for El Gigante and Mendez, then buying it again in Chapter 3-1 when the large attache case is available and upgrading from there. I used to use the Semi-Auto Rifle but it takes up too much space and its exclusive isn't as good.

- Broken Butterfly Do not buy, you get one for free in 4-1 by backtracking with Ashley. Concentrate on upgrading fire power and only upgrade capacity when you have 0 bullets as you can make the most of the free ones on upgrade, go for the exclusive as well which is a crazy 50 fire power.

- Rocket Launcher - Not everyone will agree with this, I sell the one I get for free as it takes up so much inventory and prefer to use the space for ammo and grenades for the the bridge, the 2 Garrador room, etc. But I will then buy it back so I can kill Verdugo. Yes I lose 15,000 pestas doing this but I've always had enough to exclusive my weapons of choice so I'm not really bothered. Only get one for Verdugo, the other bosses are easy enough without it.

- Grenades - Don't worry about using them if you are in trouble as they are fairly plentiful, but don't go over the top. I use Hand Grenades on El Gigante in 2-1 as they can reveal the parasite in 2. Then save at least 5 Incindary Grenades for the Mendez fight at the end of 2-3 as 6 and the barrel is enough to kill him without firing a shot. Also start saving Incindary Grenades when you get close to the end of 5-2 as the boss (U8) there is vary weak to them. THen make sure you have about 5 Hand Grenades for the final boss as one of them will stagger him exposing his eye for you to mash up with the Broken Butterfly. Other than that use on large groups (eg, the Water Room when you first enter, the bridge after the Gear Tower, etc) Use Flash Grenages when you are overhelmed by the Las Plagas Parasites.

NOTES - I never bother with the TMP but I know some people swear by it, I don't like it and don't really get its use as other guns are far better. You can sell bullets that you find for it for 1,000 pestas per 50. I prefer the Red 9 over the Blacktail as I like my brute power over anything else. Don't bother with the Mine Thower, only a bit of fun in newgame plus really.

I have done playthroughs where I ban myself from the above weapons so I try out others but this is the setup I always go back to as they are IMO the best weapons.

(IMO, it has always worked for me)

Sparda
09-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Alright, this might be because I'm very very good at the game but I'll give you the rundown on how I run through this game. Keep in mind when I finished the game I had 347,000 Pesetas and 6 full heals (I wasted 5 on Ashley right at the end to get her to full health since I already maxed mine out).

Handgun: Stick with it until the Punisher, I never needed to upgrade it because you get the Punisher early on, however if you really need some extra ammo or extra power then go ahead and buy a couple upgrades.

Punisher: If you shoot all 15 medals (not hard since they show up on your map) you get this for free with 1 firepower upgrade. So I use it instead of the Handgun until I get the Red 9.

Red 9: Absolutely love it. I always by the stock because in my opinion it makes a huge difference when trying to get headshots at a far range. I can almost completely lock down a horde of zombies with this gun. But there is another option which isn't bad, I just don't like it as much.

Blacktail: Good and reliable, but doesn't have as much punch as the Red 9. If you don't like the Red 9 or just want to save on space you can't really go wrong here.

Shotguns: Get the free one, upgrade it as much as you care to until you can get your hands on the Striker and never look back. Never get the Riot Gun, it just isn't worth it.

TMP is unnecessary, and so is the Mine Thrower. Get them only if you feel like it, but you don't need to bother.

Riffles: Ok this is tricky. I personally love the first Riffle you can get, I but it as soon as I can and I upgrade it all the way to give it amazing damage. The bolt action never bothers me because when I hit something with this it dies or gets knocked back allowing me to get off another shot. Powerful weapon if you can get past how slow it is. The semi auto is also a good choice because it never exits the scope when you fire, allowing for efficient and easy shots. I guess it's a question between power and slow firing, or a bit less power and fast firing. This one is mostly up to personal preference.

Magnums: I love the Broken Butterfly, if you feel you don't need a magnum sell the free one from the castle. However never buy the Killer 7 because it is awful. The Broken Butterfly does amazing damage and the capacity upgrades can get you some free magnum bullets. So if you want a very powerful gun, take the free Broken Butterfly and run with it. Never buy the Killer 7, ever.

Almost forgot, I think buying Rocket Launchers is a waste of money, I use the free one in the Castle on Verdugo because that jerk is an ammo and healing item sink. But if you really think you need one then buy it, they aren't that expensive anyway.

Tonic24k
09-23-2011, 04:44 PM
My setup is a bit unorthodox. I don't use any type of handgun at all; pistol or magnum. I've got the Semi-auto rifle and only because it's necessary for the Regenerators. Then I'm rocking the Striker and the Mine Thrower. I know most people say the Mine Thrower is only good for having fun with in new game +, but I love it. Upgraded all the way gives it homing capabilities so I just send a mine dart out and let it do it's magic. It's blast radius fully upgraded is ridiculous, too! Other than that, I've got a shit ton of grenades and health sprays saved up cuz it looks good in my case and proves I'm a boss and never have to heal myself. lol

TVthePunisher
09-23-2011, 04:50 PM
For me it's preference, I never used the Red 9 and stuck with the Punisher and Blacktail as my two handguns (yes, I kept two on me). I usually don't buy the blacktail right out though.

The Riot Gun was my preferred shotgun..."what about the Striker?", I don't like the look of the thing...plain and simple. Which is weird, considering it reminds me of the weapon you can use in Syphon Filter 2 near the end of the game (and on the final boss) but still. I just liked using the Riot Gun overall.

And yes the Striker overall is the superior shotgun, everyone <3s it to death...I just dislike the damn thing.

gingeee85
09-23-2011, 04:50 PM
i cant of got far enough to meet a merchant? does he come after the cutscene when your tied up with the viggo mortenson look-a-like? and also how do i get in the grave yard to get rest of medalions?

macgyver893
09-23-2011, 04:52 PM
I absolutely agree with the above posters. The Red9 is the handgun you want, so use the basic pistol and then the Punisher when you get it for free until you can buy the Red9. The Punisher nets you a solid 15k too.

I'm about to fight Mendez in my game and I haven't upgraded the shotgun once either.... just waiting on getting the striker.

Stay clear from the TMP... the better you get the more you'll realize you don't need rockets (except for the creepy ass Verdugo boss). And the regular sniper is great at all points of the game, so focus some early upgrades on that if you want to buy it early on.

macgyver893
09-23-2011, 04:54 PM
i cant of got far enough to meet a merchant? does he come after the cutscene when your tied up with the viggo mortenson look-a-like? and also how do i get in the grave yard to get rest of medalions?
Yes, go around the back of the house and he's there. You'll eventually wind up in the graveyard, you can't miss it. Buy the treasure map too from the merchant.

gingeee85
09-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Yes, go around the back of the house and he's there. You'll eventually wind up in the graveyard, you can't miss it. Buy the treasure map too from the merchant.

cheers matey, will do it when i can boot the kids to bed, damn cbeebies taking over my tv lol

JuSt BLaZe
09-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Another lil add to my inventory @ the end of the game:

1st NORMAL run-through:

Fully upgraded + exclusive:

-Blacktail
-Striker
-Semi Auto-Rifle

Miscellaneous:

-6 Flash Grenades
-6 Hand Grenades
-1 Incendiary Grenade
-4 Mixed Herbs (G+R)
-3 Mixed Herbs (G+R+Y)
-134.100 PTAS

Just wanted to show you I still had enough Pesetas to spend and that you have an imagination.

L0cke89
09-23-2011, 06:43 PM
For me it's preference, I never used the Red 9 and stuck with the Punisher and Blacktail as my two handguns (yes, I kept two on me). I usually don't buy the blacktail right out though.

The Riot Gun was my preferred shotgun..."what about the Striker?", I don't like the look of the thing...plain and simple. Which is weird, considering it reminds me of the weapon you can use in Syphon Filter 2 near the end of the game (and on the final boss) but still. I just liked using the Riot Gun overall.

And yes the Striker overall is the superior shotgun, everyone <3s it to death...I just dislike the damn thing.

Really? I dislike the Riot Gun, cause it looks like every shotgun in every game these days :/ The striker looks and feels badass. Also the ammo capacity is pure win :D

But as far as looks go the Broken Butterfly is my choice. I always had a thing for the magnum in any game. Makes me feel like Sledge Hammer (Anyone remebers that show?)

Tommy Gun 81
09-24-2011, 01:12 AM
When will the Striker be available? I just started 3-3 after beating the maze...i have the Blacktail so far and the normal Shotgun, not upgraded a single notch...

...just saw it will be available in 4-1...wow, i made it through the maze and the sewers with the normal Shotgun :D

Maiyku
09-24-2011, 03:55 AM

Pfew. Thought I was the only one who felt this way. I HATE the Striker and always use the Riot Gun. I play with the beginning handgun and bolt-action sniper rifle too. To me the game is just waaaay too easy if you play with the best weapons completely upgraded. So I play with the crappy ones to give myself a challenge :P

DamagedWill
09-25-2011, 07:18 AM
This thread goes to show that you can use pretty much any weapon set up in your game. The game really doesn't penalize you for using what you want.

For pistols I used the starting one, upgrading until you can buy the Red9. Simply because of the power. I also suggest the Blacktail as the handling and speed can be quite handy in some areas.

For shotguns I use the free one, upgrading until you can buy the Riot Gun. A lot of people say use the Striker, but I don't anymore simply because I used the fuck out of it my first and second playthrough.

I also always keep the first rifle because of the power. The semi auto one is awesome, but I like variety.

I never buy Rocket Launchers, I use the free one on Verdugo. Saves a lot of money.

ALWAYS upgrade your case first. Saves you a headache.

Also, don't always sell every treasure right when you find them. Some, like the green and yellow catseye. Can be combined with others later in the game, making those treasures worth A LOT more.

Cyano Khaar
09-25-2011, 09:05 AM
I've played through every version of Resi 4 for a total of about 7 playthroughs. I've tried out every single weapon and I've found what works best for me. Here's what I do.

You'll start out with the Handgun and then the Shotgun. Only upgrade the Shotgun for now, not the Handgun. DO NOT buy the Rifle. Shoot all 15 blue medallions to get the Punisher with it's first firepower upgrade. Sell the Handgun and use the Punisher (but don't upgrade it) until you can purchase the Red9 and it's stock to help its accuracy. From there on in, upgrade the Red9 and continue upgrading the Shotgun. When you reach the castle, purchase the Semi-Auto Rifle and start upgrading that. DO NOT buy the Broken Butterfly since you can get it for free a bit later. Also do not buy the scope upgrade for the SA Rifle since it's completely unnecessary. Eventually you'll reach the point where you can buy the Striker. Sell your upgraded Shotgun to buy the Striker and start upgrading that. If you grabbed that free Broken Butterfly you can upgrade that as well, but I recommend focusing on the Red9 and Striker upgrades first.

For the rest of the game, all you'll need to use will be the Red9, Striker, and Semi-Automatic Rifle. Occassionly calling on the Broken Butterfly to help with the tougher opponents.

Oh, and avoid the TMP. Sell all the TMP ammo you come across. Don't buy any rocket launchers because they are a waste of money. Don't buy first aid sprays because there are tons of herbs around and first aid sprays cost a ton. Also remember to buy the inventory case upgrades whenever you have enough money. Use flash grenades for the 'surprise' headless zombies and only use your incendiary and frag grenades for large bunches of enemies.

A few other tips while I'm at it. If you ever run into a position where it's just you and one enemy, shoot him once in the leg or head and then melee him. Then knife him to death. This saves on ammo. Try using melee attacks and knife attacks whenever it's safe. Don't go knifing unless it's just one enemy.

I also really liked the Blacktail and standard Shotgun. I did a playthrough primarily with those two weapons and it was a lot of fun. The Blacktail is really quick and accurate, and something about the standard Shotgun is just badass. The weapons I disliked the most were the Punisher and Killer7. Both just seemed totally outclassed by their counterparts.

This is just my opinion of course, so take it for what it is. Hopefully it helps! :uzi: