PDA

View Full Version : first Impressions discussion.

xTGMx INF3RNO
09-27-2011, 05:04 PM
What do you all think about battlefield now some of you have played the beta?

Sylon00
09-27-2011, 05:42 PM
It has some issues, but only one or two that I've come across affected gameplay itself. Most were video/audio issues. Flickering, plants disappearing, ADS blur not going away when not ADS. The gameplay issue I ran into was the inability to ADS, but hitting Y twice fixed that. Annoying when you have a baddie to shoot at really quick.

The good stuff? Where to begin! Sometimes its the little things that I enjoy, the sway of the gun when moving left and right, the animation when going over a low wall, going prone, the knife-kill animation, ahhhh, so awesome. Sniping is pretty tough though, lots of scope movement, and you tell all your opposing players where you are with the scope-glare. I don't use sniper that much, Im an engineer, so when I see scope-glare, I usually just shoot a rocket at it, lol.

The Frostbite 2 engine is so awesome!!! Walls breaking apart when shot, the lighting of an RPG flying down the tunnel, so sick! Also, you can get hurt from things other than the enemy. Like if you walk thru fire, you will receive damage. Something to pay attention to. Also, we finally get a damage meter! So now I know when my health is back up to 100% when sitting near a med pack.

I also like this new point system. You can get points for a lot of stuff! Like Suppression Assist. Getting 50pts for shooting and MISSING! lol

Venomized
09-27-2011, 05:54 PM
My first impression of the game is quite poor as it is extremely laggy, which by no means is my connection. I can connect perfectly fine in other multiplayer games. Even if my connection played a part in it, it is nowhere near this bad!

I cant even move. I teleport back and fourth. If I prone my guy goes down, gets up, teleports forward, goes back down then up again.

When I am able to give further answers of my opinion on this game, assuming the connection will clear up later hopefully, then I will repost or edit my post.

Edit:

Have played about 4-5 games with no lag. So far I am quite happy with the game. There are a few errors and things I wish were different, but no game can follow everyones preference for everything. I prefer being on the attacking side as the weapons are better, at least so far. I really like switching between firing modes. One thing I noticed is if you kill an enemy when he is running sometimes his body dies about 5-10 yards back

GuyAboveMeSucks
09-27-2011, 06:07 PM
I played a couple matches before i came back to work. It took a while to get into a match but that's normal EA stuff along with the lag issues some people seem to be having. I had no lag once i was in a game. But i have had a few instances of flickering issues. The game graphically looks amazing and the lighting from frostbite 2 is stunning.

The knife tho is much harder to use i noticed first off the bat which is what i figured was going to happen after i watched the videos that have been periodically let out.

Spawning on team-mates is nice, if they're in prone you spawn in prone I like that they did that. The running and jumping over barriers can be a bit buggy i noticed as well but it hasn't gotten to in the way of playtime yet although my time is limited to only 2 matches.

Overall so far tho i'm still impressed with it and happy with it and im sure Dice/EA will fix the clipping and flickering stuff.

Oh and of course the sounds in this game are still the best of any game to be released.

Stormy2k
09-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Some of the black and white flickering can be annoying but its otherwise ok, but I am disapointed by the graphics, I was hoping for a lot more, but the gameplay is still awesome.

I also think Metro was a bad choice in Map for a beta, as most people would want to try out the vehicles, but I suppose DICE doesn't want to spoil us all at once.

SlySi1976
09-27-2011, 06:21 PM
venomized=must be ur connection m8, now before u comment back im only saying becoz ive been playing for over 2 hours now and have never once experienced any of ur problems...

sylon00= i second everything you say there this game has just blown me away,i love the new animation of the legs kicking out as you jump a wall,knife animation is great better when its not you being knifed ha!! and frostbite engine just makes you think how can it get any better,i mean once you enter the last part of the map in the streets with the buildings you can go in,the way they change as the round go's on, both corners of the buildings blown to pieces. and the draw distance is great. funny seeing the eiffel tower in the distance and the sounds of emergency vehicles.. my only feeling was it would of been nice also to play a map with vehicles in, jets tanks etc. bring on the full version 10/10,

Sylon00
09-27-2011, 06:33 PM
I never had lag issues, however it did take me a long time to get into a match.

That last section of the map where you are back above ground and in the city streets. The buildings are all open, you can go up into those buildings. You gotta be aware of your surroundings because you might be eating rockets shot out of a random window. And from what someone told me in-game, debris falling from a building after it gets hit by a rocket can hurt/kill you. I haven't tested that, maybe some of us can when the full game comes out because I would like to give that a try.

I'm also trying to figure out if those SAM rockets that launch from near the first MCOMs can hurt you if you are standing behind them when they launch, lol.

xTGMx INF3RNO
09-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Now its up and running i think its great few glitches. Some annoying flicker and the picture seems a bit bright/odd maybe its just me but the game feels faster enemies die quicker which is good. Jump over cover when i go prone it feels im prone. All is looking good just some small improvements needed :)

Gav LCFC
09-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Think its a great game, been playing for abit now. Just hope they they bring out a new map with some tanks or fighter jets in. But all in all very impressed with it.

The Bum-Mobile
09-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Having not played the demo, I just finished watching several YouTube videos, and to be frank it looks like shit. It looks like a smaller version of Homefront. And I'm not one to complain about graphics, but they look shit as well. Don't get me wrong, up until know I've been very excited. But seeing it running with no touch-ups leaves me disappointed. Again, this is a demo, and I haven't even played it. Just my impressions from demo gameplay.

StillTIPPIN187
09-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Having not played the demo, I just finished watching several YouTube videos, and to be frank it looks like shit. It looks like a smaller version of Homefront. And I'm not one to complain about graphics, but they look shit as well. Don't get me wrong, up until know I've been very excited. But seeing it running with no touch-ups leaves me disappointed. Again, this is a demo, and I haven't even played it. Just my impressions from demo gameplay.

It really isn't that amazing looking.. Especially on Xbox. Its a bit better on PS3 and better than that on PC.

but i wouldn't say its homefront quality either.. Just an up of BC2.. I really wish this played more like BF2. game was over hyped IMO. SP should still be a blast though.

Dr Popodopolus
09-27-2011, 09:28 PM
I posted this on the home page, but figured it would be better to post it here..

I'm playing the BETA right now on the PS3 (that's the platform I bought MoH for) and I must say, I am hugely underwhelmed, I was anticipating being blown away..

First thing that I did notice, was actually that the controls felt quite smooth and weightless, much closer to Call of Duty than BFBC2 which felt much more weightier. Players seem to run much faster. (Don't know if this is good or bad)

Arming the m-coms is incredibly quick, I suppose this was intentional?
But it just seems like bombs are being planted courtesy of one rambo rushing in whilst the rest of the team patrol the middle-ground. M-coms being planted super-frequently.

Lots of quick-prone actions going on.. it takes about 0.000001 seconds to go prone, even at full sprint. LOL

Graphically isn't brilliant at all (PS3 BETA version), textures are bland, colour palette seems wishy washy, making it harder to see enemies at a distance. Overall I would say the MoH MP had better graphics than this, I distinctly remember putting some serious time into that BETA and certainly remember them being better than what is on show here.

We've got some textures popping in, quite frequently actually, as well as clipping (I sincerely hope this is just the PS3 version, I will compare to the 360 version on Thursday just to be fair)

One thing that is really PISSING ME OFF is that the ADS and sprint keeps glitching..

examples: I ADS, get a kill, reload (which by the way is incredibly quick on the M16, faster than MW2 reloads) and then it won't let me ADS again, so I have to switch weapons and then switch back to make it work.

Same for sprint, if I sprint, stop, and try to sprint again, sometimes it won't let me no matter how hard I click the analogue. It's just a few annoying little bugs that should have been fixed in Alpha, there's no way these can be genuine gameplay mechanics, they're absolutely ludicrous.

Spawns need a mention, I don't want to ramble on about spawns, but to sum up, they ARE an issue, at least on this map.

Overriding emotion is that I won't be in a huge rush to pick this up, graphics aren't anywhere near what they're made out to be, certainly not in this 'BETA' condition, 1 month prior to release. I'd rate MoH's MP and BFBC2 as having better graphics than this.

Overall, enjoying the BETA somewhat, but, underwhelmed.
It's 'OK', not mesmerising or revolutionary.

Qavala
09-27-2011, 09:38 PM
I posted this on the home page, but figured it would be better to post it here..

I'm playing the BETA right now on the PS3 (that's the platform I bought MoH for) and I must say, I am hugely underwhelmed, I was anticipating being blown away..

First thing that I did notice, was actually that the controls felt quite smooth and weightless, much closer to Call of Duty than BFBC2 which felt much more weightier. Players seem to run much faster. (Don't know if this is good or bad)

Arming the m-coms is incredibly quick, I suppose this was intentional?
But it just seems like bombs are being planted courtesy of one rambo rushing in whilst the rest of the team patrol the middle-ground. M-coms being planted super-frequently.

Lots of quick-prone actions going on.. it takes about 0.000001 seconds to go prone, even at full sprint. LOL

Graphically isn't brilliant at all (PS3 BETA version), textures are bland, colour palette seems wishy washy, making it harder to see enemies at a distance. Overall I would say the MoH MP had better graphics than this, I distinctly remember putting some serious time into that BETA and certainly remember them being better than what is on show here.

We've got some textures popping in, quite frequently actually, as well as clipping (I sincerely hope this is just the PS3 version, I will compare to the 360 version on Thursday just to be fair)

One thing that is really PISSING ME OFF is that the ADS and sprint keeps glitching..

examples: I ADS, get a kill, reload (which by the way is incredibly quick on the M16, faster than MW2 reloads) and then it won't let me ADS again, so I have to switch weapons and then switch back to make it work.

Same for sprint, if I sprint, stop, and try to sprint again, sometimes it won't let me no matter how hard I click the analogue. It's just a few annoying little bugs that should have been fixed in Alpha, there's no way these can be genuine gameplay mechanics, they're absolutely ludicrous.

Overriding emotion is that I won't be in a huge rush to pick this up, graphics aren't anywhere near what they're made out to be, certainly not in this 'BETA' condition, 1 month prior to release. I'd rate MoH's MP and BFBC2 as having better graphics than this.

Overall, enjoying the BETA somewhat, but, underwhelmed.
It's 'OK', not mesmerising or revolutionary.

I completely agree. Underwhelmed is an understatement... I'm afraid to say this is absolutely terrible. Not sure if it's just the lag, but I find it extremely difficult to aim, if I aim slightly left/right, up/down it jolts back to centre screen. Making it pretty damn impossible. And when it's hard to aim on a fps then... that's slightly problematic. I would say I was a decent bad company 2 player, put alot of hours into it, rank 41 I think I was... so it's not that i'm an awful player. Also, the bullets do WAY WAY WAY too much damage. I swear to god I've been killed in one bullet on numerous occasions. And most of my deaths come from 2-3 bullets. Range doesn;'t matter...2-3 bullets regardless. Also, I've only been able to finish a handful of games, I get disconnected from the rest mid way through. DareI say, I'd rather buy mw3, and I despise cod. Today was a bad day... :p

The Bum-Mobile
09-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Disappoints me to hear that I'm not just being too critical. I mean, this wasn't my most anticipated for the year like many others, but it's a shame that it isn't as great as people were making it to be. Again, I'll hold off on my final word until the retail release. FOr all we know this could be some terribly early build. Right? RIGHT?

Suiken
09-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Metro was a bad choice in Map for a beta, as most people would want to try out the vehicles, but I suppose DICE doesn't want to spoil us all at once.

Alot of the gameplay footage showed at least 1 vehicle in Metro (I believe it was an APC of some sort). I think they excluded it to keep the beta file small or something.

JGar77
09-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Admittedly, the hype for this game, for me, fell out about a month or so ago; I just started to lose interest for some reason. The recent trailer built up expectation, and I figured I wouldn't give up on this game just yet. I was looking forward to the beta all day. Finally downloaded the beta, played two games, and feel, as mentioned by others, very underwhelmed and rather disappointed. I just don't like it.

Vegaskingz
09-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Personally, after playing the beta on a friends console, I am very impressed at what they could do with the xbox. I was not expecting the game to be some mega beast, as one had to realise that we arent dealing with some high spec PC. In saying that, after playing the beta, I can say it is much better than Bad Company 2, controls, graphics wise and gameplay as well.

SDM Kahuna
09-28-2011, 12:55 AM
I have to say the tech issues that have been forementioned:

ADS
Sprint
Screen Flicker
Texture Pop Up

Are the most common problems I'm coming across at the mo. The ADS, sprint and flicker problems also happen on the PC version only one I haven't seen on that is the texture pop up.

Lag is the most prevalent problem rubber banding and even passing through the geometry of the map have taken place. This I put down to simple traffic and EA never... ever rolling out enough servers to start with. Happened in BFBC 1 & 2, BF1943, MoH and it will be the same for BF3. Par for the course really.

Problems aside it is Beta and we are just part of a huge stress test right now.

As for gameplay well Battlefield played on your own with randoms is a very lonely place. I've been fortunate to get a squad going with a few of my buddies and the teamwork element just clicks and you know your playing battlefield at that point and at the end of the day for me thats what has always made the battlefield series stand out.

So suffice to say I am enjoying it I do hope we get another map or two to play with... Pretty Pweaseee and a few vehicles to hoon around in would be fantastic.

JNix22
09-28-2011, 01:37 AM

Well, it's not a 'demo'. It's a 'beta'. We can't expect it to be as completely polished as the final product will be.

Sylon00
09-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Don't really know where else to put this:

What is the leveling cap for this beta?

Mother Beef
09-28-2011, 02:04 AM
I ran into was the inability to ADS, but hitting Y twice fixed that. Annoying when you have a baddie to shoot at really quick.

I'm beginning to think this is just an issue with the entire Frostbite engine. This has appeared in every battlefield since BC1 and quite at a frequent level too especially in BC2. Y,Y has always been the cure though.

I haven't played the beta yet, but it seems to be getting under a lot of fire simply because people own personal expectation were built so high, plus they are not used to the new faster pace, you die quicker; clearly that intentional and thats just something people are going to have to adjust to- that isnt any bug or glitch, you do just as much damage. As for drop-shoting, you have that ability too, just like in CoD. Do it?

I've watched a lot of youtube commentaries of it, it seems its getting the most negative comments from people that havent played BF for the last few years, or are coming back from BF2 and dislike all the changes (that have been around since BC1).

I'm still excited, even for just playing a new game, learning new things.

Lone Soldier x7
09-28-2011, 02:15 AM
I really loved BC2 but this feels more like MoH than BC2. And lets just say I hated MoH...

Mother Beef
09-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Don't really know where else to put this:

What is the leveling cap for this beta?

Hasnt got one. Level up to level 45 if you want.

Sylon00
09-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Hasnt got one. Level up to level 45 if you want.

Wow, and Im guessing that it'll all reset when the game comes out?

I heard from someone that all the dog tags we collect will carryover.

Nami
09-28-2011, 02:38 AM
After trying to play the beta a couple times and being greeted with extreme lag i don't think ill likely be buying this unless something is done about it. I do not think it is me because i can connect to any other game and have good connection. Wish i could of given it a better go but it wont let me so probably a no-go for me.

M49907
09-28-2011, 05:46 AM
I think they picked the worst map on purpose. This map is seriously horrid I cant even play the beta that much because of how shitty the map is. Other than the map this game is going to kick ass. I don't get any lag so Im all good.

TAI JASON
09-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Well, as an old BF guy...

First iīm dissapointed that the Beta is real THE Beta which some game magazines play a half year ago. They just change nothing in it. Itīs absolutly NOT the best way to show the great features of this game, but:

- the Beta graphics are good for Xbox (not the bugs), if i wanna play this on ultimate details on PC and can bought me 3 Xbox consoles and a few BF3 games...

- the gameplay is straight and not good for CoD gamers. Thatīs NO CoD hate, itīs just completly different. You die very fast this time, you need to stay together to play effective and you need teamspeach. I just love this game exactly for these features...if you play two matches and you get killed everytime you MUST change your gamestyle. Itīs not the games fault that you run into the enemy all day...

- physics are great, weapon handling is great and movement is just smooth and straight, i love to jump over baricades or something, it feels just "right", the function to lay on the ground is also very good. Yesterday i play 8 matches and i was allways in the top 3, 2 times no. 1 and four times no. 2, rest 3...this game runs the same way like BC2, oh yeah baby!

- bug report: Glitches, explosions in the air, texture pop ups, kill cam, after you die, the cam goes through the level texture, killed enemy fly around, reviving with the shock pad is buggy sometimes...well these are all Beta bugs

- the map is very big, you donīt have the feeling to play in a small arena, i donīt like the part of the attackers when you must go down to the subway, we lost a couple of matches, because the enemy team just protect the main entrance and kill everyone. If you get this done you win in no time. Blow up the subway stations is hard, blow up the other stations is easy as hell (my feelings)

- i got NO lags, NO problems with my EA mail and NO server issues

- everyone who think the Beta represents the final game and donīt want to buy this game now...:chair

EDIT: Hey guyīs i donīt know why you talk about MoH and this game in the same way. It has NOTHING to do with MoH and i play MoH MP a lot.

dazzadavie
09-28-2011, 07:09 AM
I've not tried the beta yet but I will be jumping on it tomorrow, but I was wondering are people playing this a demo or as a beta? I think some people (not just here) need to remember that this is a beta, its for testing connection types over a larger audience. Any glitches, bugs of connection issues are more likely to be address come the final product.

I only say this because I've been in two BF betas before and used them as a demo, because of they were so buggy I was completely put off them. When I jump in tomorrow I and prepared for bugs and the game to be twitchy but I'm not expecting the final game to be like that at all.

xTGMx INF3RNO
09-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Im hoping it will be improved and i still think battlefield will beat cod. However the sprint really does piss me off. Need to click rs 100x to sprint. There are quite a few problems now i have played a bit more. But the basics are looking good IMO. Hope something gets done

rc deaths agent
09-28-2011, 08:23 AM
I think it was the worst idea ever to not include a conquest map as well. They did the same thing for BC2. BC2 i can understand because rush is a bad company game mode but to not include a conquest map for battlefield 3 is just not verry smart imo.

xTGMx INF3RNO
09-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Ohh and the metro map until you get outside is shite.

xKRAIZEEMANx
09-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Well, tomorrow I will be joining the open beta....Keep the info coming!

SneakyofSneaks
09-28-2011, 08:44 AM
I think it's great, it's an beta to test the servers and it's doing just that, ie the usual fail to connect to EA online, we normally have to put up with that when the game is released! I mean there will be half the numbers of players in the closed beta than when they open it and it's going to be even harder to connect in a squad!

Oh and I don't like the new knife animation it way too slow!

DborKnowsBest
09-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Not impressed at all and I was really looking forward to Battlefield 3 but atleast they're fair and give us the chance to try out the multiplayer.

DborKnowsBest
09-28-2011, 10:10 AM
The mutliplayer is on par with medal of honor keep this in mind before wasting your bandwith. They screwed this one up big time.

Tatanko
09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
The mutliplayer is on par with medal of honor keep this in mind before wasting your bandwith. They screwed this one up big time.
I really didn't think the MoH multiplayer was that bad. It didn't keep me entertained for hours on end like a Battlefield game, but I wouldn't call it bad. How did they screw up "big time"?

13ip0lar
09-28-2011, 12:42 PM
I would be the last person to talk shit on Battlefield, but this Beta has me not wanting to play it when it releases. I've been doing BF competively since BF2, and this has been talked about since then. For all the hype, it's not really all the mind-blowing. I'm not impressed with the insane amount of glitches, and just how the game feels.

I know people will say, "HEY! WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE! IT'S BETA IDIOT THEY WILL FIX THEM!!!111", to which I would reply, the game is coming out in a fucking month, how much do you think it's going to actually change? Some of the obvious glitches yes, but the way the game feels and plays? Nope, and you haven't even taken into account vehicle combat. Of course the big motivation is the $1,600,000 tourney, or that's what I've been told. I haven't verified this for myself, friend might be dicking with me. Still usually you play competition for fun, and then winning cash is a bonus, this game doesn't have me wanting to play even for a mil, that's how off-put I feel about it.

Keep in mind this is my opinion. I just think this is just one Battlefield game I won't be playing. CoD looks better than the past installments but it's still CoD, and I'm already burnt out on Gears. Might just enjoy the SP games coming out. :/

Muzzle O Bees
09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Im hoping it will be improved and i still think battlefield will beat cod. However the sprint really does piss me off. Need to click rs 100x to sprint. There are quite a few problems now i have played a bit more. But the basics are looking good IMO. Hope something gets done

If you are clicking RS to sprint then you should be mad at yourself for pushing the wrong button. :p

xTGMx INF3RNO
09-28-2011, 12:52 PM
If you are clicking RS to sprint then you should be mad at yourself for pushing the wrong button. :p

Hahaha typo. But still feels like LS is useless. takes 3 clicks usually

Opiate42
09-28-2011, 03:19 PM
I only played a few games, it was okay. Nothing that drew me in to keep playing repeated sessions though.

I did enjoy the fluidity of the movements, climbing and running over barriers etc... felt like they've learned from their Mirror's Edge success quite a bit :woop:. The play controls are intuitive and solid for the most part. I just have to re-adjust my mental programming from other games to stop using the wrong buttons. The controls all makes sense, just hasn't sunk in yet.

I did like the multi-layered map too, lots of places to flank and press. Both open areas and tight spaces. It was pretty well thought out. It does force you to use your squad and communicate to be effective or you'll all just get wiped out.

I did have some issues:

sprinting : definitely inconsistent, many a time I'd be walking, snooping around corners, then move and click to sprint to more cover and ... not sprint. Click, click...wha?? Found to alleviate that I'd have to go prone/crouch then pop back up again to be able to finally sprint. Like it needs to be reset.
Graphics : I know it's a beta, but for load testing this close to release the textures should be up to snuff with what well experience in the retail release. Falling trees and other destruction in the environment is awesome...but when the trees are paper-thin 2 dimensional paints you'd find in an old 386 PC dungeon crawler... that's unforgivable in this day and age on the new Frostbite engine.
Re-spawning menu: I found it a pain TBH, the layout is terrible, I didn't like the setup screen when waiting to spawn back in. Very unintuitive.

Then onto the games themselves.... all in all, I was actually kind of bored after a few games, though that may have just been me and the lobby I was in. I'm admittedly not very good. Somehow I ended up as squad leader at some point, to whoever was in my squad, I deeply apologize!! ;)

I'm muddling through Fallout 3 and have Gears 3 in my lap to boot with a 4-player squad doing co-op and horde, I'm not sure how much more time I'll invest in this beta.

I'm looking forward to this games' release, but think I have better ways to spend my time before then.

JGar77
09-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, it's not a 'demo'. It's a 'beta'. We can't expect it to be as completely polished as the final product will be.
I think its kind of funny that, if you go to your game library, under "Battlefield 3 Open Beta," it says "Game Demo." Honestly, it seems like betas and demos are almost becoming, or are being considered, the same thing.

jordan1979
09-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Thank god its not just me. I feel like I'm forcing myself to play it. I can't put my finger on any one real reason why that is, and I've been a BF'er since 2008, I'm not a COD fanboy.

Dr Popodopolus
09-28-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm done with this BETA. I am good enough at the game, but even doing really well can't hide the fact, it is graphically terrible, not to mention half the lobby with their bodies going through the map.

It's not just one location either, I'm continuously dropping under the map outside, wherever I go prone, nearly all the players that go prone are not visible. This is supposed to have first had an 'Alpha' many many months ago to sort out the blatantly obvious glitches that plague this game.

It is quite startling that there is less than 1 month until release and there is so many things wrong..

It is a joke, and frankly, unplayable for me.

SDM Kahuna
09-29-2011, 12:13 AM
The graphical glitches and clipping I have experianced the same as everyone else.

The combat is as solid as I was hoping it was going to be and the whole thing feels like battlefield should. Teamwork is the only way to win.

I do concede that the paris metro map is awfull for attacking once your in the subway it's a headlong charge into bullets and grenades there is no room to move and you only option in more that one location is a suicidal head on charge but if you do have 2 or 3 buddies with you it's certain possible to break through. It's just no fun if your left on your own with no one to coordinate with.

I'm under no illusion this beta is nothing more than a massive scale network stress test. I never played the alpha I wouldn't be supprised if we are playing on an earlier build.

Sadly the choice of map and current issues will turn more people off than on.

I am personally enjoying it and I play with the same group of guys I've always played battlefield with and for me that makes the game.

Tatanko
09-29-2011, 01:18 AM
I am personally enjoying it and I play with the same group of guys I've always played battlefield with and for me that makes the game.
I am hoping I feel the same way for the same reason when I finally get to play it tomorrow. I love playing Battlefield, and playing it with my friends is a big part of that.

Dz06lt
09-29-2011, 01:22 AM
personally i was very disapointed with the graphics. Maybe i expected too much, even though i know the SP will look superior

oO Triple G Oo
09-29-2011, 02:38 AM
personally i was very disapointed with the graphics. Maybe i expected too much, even though i know the SP will look superiorTo you and all others complaining about the graphics: You know they intentionally turn down the quality for betas, right? Same thing happened with MoH's beta, same thing on PC's version of the BF3 beta, as well. The game WILL look much better in the final build.

Also, you guys really should wait until your friends can get in on it, tomorrow. Teamwork makes the game much better, as I have experienced.

DEG23
09-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Wow, i can't believe what i'm hearing from everyone, i thought this was going to be solid. I know the BETA isn't the final product but i am seriously considering waiting to hear what everyone thinks of the final game before buying day one.

Maybe our expectations were too high???

MediumMelanin
09-29-2011, 04:13 AM
I was having a heart attack when I wasn't getting my beta code email, but then at 10:00AM EST, I got it! And then I had a major orgasm when it downloaded in 30 minutes (3.5GB PC)! Damn, Operation Metro is cool, but Caspian Border is waaaay sicker!

Dz06lt
09-30-2011, 12:44 AM
To you and all others complaining about the graphics: You know they intentionally turn down the quality for betas, right? Same thing happened with MoH's beta, same thing on PC's version of the BF3 beta, as well. The game WILL look much better in the final build.

Also, you guys really should wait until your friends can get in on it, tomorrow. Teamwork makes the game much better, as I have experienced.

Yes im fully aware of that, however they have bragged the shit out of the graphics for this game since it was announced and there is less then one month until it hit shelves they should have done a better job of representing the game

FreiZeitGeipel
09-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Hmm, I donīt know. Itīs hard to connect to the game at all, itīs damn laggy at times and I experienced some annoying graphic bugs - but thatīs just beta stuff, I guess.

To make it clear, Iīm not a big BF veteran - I only played a lot of the BF 1943 stuff on XBLA. But that was more fun to me than the BF3 beta so far. Why? The maps are too large, or thereīs too few players on - I donīt know. But at times I just spawned like miles away from the action. Then, if I spawned close to the action, almost every 10 secs after it some douchebag sniped me away. Itīs like I was killed a hundred times directly after spawning without even seeing an opponent. Crouching snipers everywhere. Fantastic. Grow some balls and get into close combat!

Besides these issues, it was fun to me.

oO Triple G Oo
09-30-2011, 02:48 AM
Yes im fully aware of that, however they have bragged the shit out of the graphics for this game since it was announced and there is less then one month until it hit shelves they should have done a better job of representing the game

Well, at least you don't have the blinders on. I know what it's gonna look like from trailers, so I'm not too chuffed. You gonna buy it?

Guitarr Steve
09-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Not bad. People need to remember it's a beta. I will admit, when I first got on and saw the graphics, I was pretty disappointed until I found out they're using older code. Hopefully BF3 looks a little cleaner.

CGPsaint
09-30-2011, 03:26 AM
With all of the hype going into this game, especially about how cutting edge the graphics and gameplay are supposed to be, I'm rather unimpressed. As for gameplay, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that this might not have been the best choice of map for the Beta, but regardless, I'll be spending my time enjoying Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam for the time being. At least there I don't have issues logging on, and the MP is at least compelling.

fastNcurious
09-30-2011, 03:36 AM
I've had some weird and disappointing (as well as hilarious) moments during my few hours of the beta today, but I am chalking it all up to the fact that it's a beta, with outdated code and overloaded servers.

Prone seems a bit overpowered to me. When I try it, I pwn, but I get easily bored camping so I stopped, but it peeves me when I get killed by a proner cuz they're hard to spot if they pick a good location.

Knife animation is a bit wonky. Some guy ran up to me and knifed. I didn't react at first cuz I thought he was a friendly. Somehow I didn't die so I pulled my trigger, shot from the hip, and got a lucky headshot.

I thought the text of the killfeed seemed a bit large. Kept distracting me when I was trying to see if an enemy would be coming down the stairs.

I had hoped they would've added an actual killcam cuz I really want to know how I died and not necessarily where the dude is right now.

Hoping the UI and menu system in the final product is more easily navigable.

Also, watching all the PC-version gameplay videos made the graphics a bit disappointing though it might have just been the beta (for example, ground is mainly flat patches of brown and green with occasional grass sticking up).

CGPsaint
09-30-2011, 12:25 PM
@ fastNcurious

You were saying the knife animations were a bit wonky. What do you think of the mantle animations? Every time I jump over an obstacle I damn near get vertigo as my view pans all willy nilly!

Tatanko
09-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Every time I jump over an obstacle I damn near get vertigo as my view pans all willy nilly!
I get the feeling that's intentional, not an issue. If you're flipping your whole body over an obstacle in real life, is your vision going to stay perfectly aligned with where you were looking prior to vaulting over the obstacle?

Grey Delta
09-30-2011, 12:53 PM
The glitching under the map is pretty bad. Was in a squad with 3 12-year-olds squeaking about how it's brilliant to do.

GTFO ಠ_ಠ

As for mantling over stuff, I find unless I mantle in the middle of a rail or wall (away from the pillars that line the walls or the spikes on the rails) I won't get over the wall. He'll do the animation & still be in the same spot. Overall I love it though, only rank 6 so far but it's fun :D

CGPsaint
09-30-2011, 02:22 PM
I get the feeling that's intentional, not an issue. If you're flipping your whole body over an obstacle in real life, is your vision going to stay perfectly aligned with where you were looking prior to vaulting over the obstacle?

You are correct good sir. I wasn't complaining nor implying that it's a glitch, but it is a bit wonky. I've just gotten in the habit of trying to avoid mantling because it generally leads to my death as I try to reorient myself.

Tatanko
09-30-2011, 05:14 PM
I've just gotten in the habit of trying to avoid mantling because it generally leads to my death as I try to reorient myself.
Haha. Sounds like you just need to time your vaulting better ;)

fastNcurious
09-30-2011, 05:23 PM
@ fastNcurious

You were saying the knife animations were a bit wonky. What do you think of the mantle animations? Every time I jump over an obstacle I damn near get vertigo as my view pans all willy nilly!

I usually get easily disoriented with certain visuals (even the minor motion blur in Halo Reach), but I thought the animation of the mantling was pretty cool. It reminded me of Mirror's Edge and maybe that's why I liked it and didn't find it disorienting this time. It took a bit of getting used to when I first played Mirror's Edge (also made by DICE, in case anyone didn't know), but I adjusted eventually.

Maybe try blinking when you mantle or look away from the screen, then when you're done you just have to re-orient your camera. That's what I did initially in Mirror's Edge until I slowly got used to it.

As for mantling over stuff, I find unless I mantle in the middle of a rail or wall (away from the pillars that line the walls or the spikes on the rails) I won't get over the wall. He'll do the animation & still be in the same spot. Overall I love it though, only rank 6 so far but it's fun :D

Oh. If this is what you mean by wonky, then IDK. It never happened to me. I would chalk it up to it being a beta. Can't imagine why your guy would try to mantle if it's not possible. Lol.

InsaneKane87
09-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Im having loads of fun, besides the typical issues you would expect. But not being able to get into a game for hours & hours can be annoying. What annoys me the most is why it seems like you can hear everyone instead of just your squad. Someone was blasting music and I muted the other 3 members in my squad and still heard the music.

Besides all that I think its a great game, Ill have loads more fun when I can actually play some conquest instead of Rush mode. :woop:

koopakiller64
09-30-2011, 05:41 PM
This is only my review of the beta, old codes and all.

Pros
1 Large assortment of guns + attachments
2 Mantling obstacles
3 Animations
4 Still not sure if I like switching guns on offense/defense, but I get to level up guns quicker

Cons
1 Map- Very small map with little destruction. Doesn't have the BF vibe to it and leads to camping, which is all I ever see. Also, everyone has to follow a certain path. We can't blow up walls to get through to our destination. Feels like I'm playing a Demolition in CoD.
2 Spawns- No defensive perimeter and a bunch of people are spawn killing since its so easy. Yes, I know that people can spawn on teammates. Its useless when they're getting killed as well. Oh and where is the timer so I know when to spawn? I keep mashing the button until I'm in.
3 Fast Killing- You can get taken out without ever knowing you're getting shot at because you can't hear the bullets and you get taken out in very little time
4 Graphics- Some parts it looks stunning. Other times it looks like I'm playing an old Xbox game. Especially when you knife glass.
5 Sound, Glitches, Texture pops etc.

Sgt Hartman 87
09-30-2011, 06:10 PM
So far the only thing that irritates me is the damge inconsistancies. Sometimes I drop an enemy in 1-2 bullets but other times they seem to soak up half a clip, giving me 5 or 6 hitmarkers.

Also ALOT of the time I seem to get killed in 1 or 2 shots, and thats not even with a headshot, it is also very annoying how snipers seem to be a one hit kill.

CGPsaint
09-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Haha. Sounds like you just need to time your vaulting better ;)

Like I said, I just avoid it if I can and call it a day! I can lay prone for 10 minutes behind a wall, but the second I mantle it I just know I'll get shot in the face!

Hoborg
09-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Too many campers but I guess that's a necessary evil of removing the annoying bullet-resistance in the past games.

TheUglyCasanova
09-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Well i only got to play when the beta first came out. After that the servers were down. Today I get unknown error.

Really pissing me off and think I will be canceling my pre-order if this is any hint how things will be with the full game.

rc deaths agent
09-30-2011, 10:00 PM
My first impressions are pretty good considering it was rush with no vehicles. Infantry combat was fun but i cannot wait until we get big conquest maps....can't wait.

Grey Delta
09-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Someone posted this video on official forums. Looks like shotguns + slugs is just as imbalanced as it was in BC2 I hate that. :(

BF3: 870 + slugs + torching GAMEPLAY in HD - YouTube

Blue Of Hearts
09-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Well i only got to play when the beta first came out. After that the servers were down. Today I get unknown error.

Really pissing me off and think I will be canceling my pre-order if this is any hint how things will be with the full game.

Just dashboard, and try again. Shit happens to me all the time. Just keep trying and it'll let you in. Hope this helps you change your mind! :)

Dazinth
09-30-2011, 11:10 PM
After giving the beta a fair shot, 10-15 games in right now, I have to say with how much this game was hyped to me I am extremely let down so far. Maybe the full game will be more enticing but I can't see myself putting out $60 for a game that I felt sort of obligated to give a shot and couldn't truly put much interest into after the first couple games.

I'll give it another shot in 5-6 months when I can pick it up for less than $20 and not go in with high expectations.

I know it's just a beta and not a final product, that swayed my initial reaction for at least a couple more games but I can't see it being too much different from now to Oct. 25.

Dz06lt
10-01-2011, 12:55 AM
Well, at least you don't have the blinders on. I know what it's gonna look like from trailers, so I'm not too chuffed. You gonna buy it?

Absolutley but im also buying MW3 because i know BOTH games will be amazing. I was just a little disapointed by how this looks compared to what they have us so far i expected crysis 2 like graphics not Homefronts:(

Too many campers but I guess that's a necessary evil of removing the annoying bullet-resistance in the past games.

Agreed 100% campers and prone = bullshit

head0r Inc
10-01-2011, 01:00 AM
There are many many glitches and bugs in the beta, but hey.. its a beta. I hope they will fix the major parts of it e.g. randomly stop running, grenades wont fly through bushes, kill cam suck asses, Texture and Sound are messed up at times, Spawning Black Screen is annoying, etc etc.

In my opinion, the Recon is way too easy to play with, in BC2 it was a lot harder to snipe, now its getting casual like.. thats pretty lame as those weapons are really powerful but whatever.

Anyways, I love the gameplay of it, it fits my style of gaming.. played 24 games so far, 12 times i got MVP, and 5 more times i got either second or third.. so yeah, am pretty happy with it ^__^

Mother Beef
10-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Absolutley but im also buying MW3 because i know BOTH games will be amazing. I was just a little disapointed by how this looks compared to what they have us so far i expected crysis 2 like graphics not Homefronts:(

Agreed 100% campers and prone = bullshit

I dont see what is wrong with the graphics? I personally own Homefront and its graphics are comparable to that of last generations. How in any form does BF3 look like Homefront? What TV are you playing this on that clearly isnt doing the game justice. I'm very content with the visuals, plus they will only get better by the release due to the code.

Regardless, the graphics are nothing; heck look are Crysis, you can put a goat in a suit, but it will still be a goat. Or in that case- a terrible game.

Prone and Snipers are annoying yes, but realistically though they may kill you a max of 4 times match, if you're dying more i suggest you change your strategy, maybe try flanking/avoiding them.

Dz06lt
10-01-2011, 01:11 AM
I dont see what is wrong with the graphics? I personally own Homefront and its graphics are comparable to that of last generations. How in any form does BF3 look like Homefront? What TV are you playing this on that clearly isnt doing the game justice. I'm very content with the visuals, plus they will only get better by the release due to the code.

Regardless, the graphics are nothing; heck look are Crysis, you can put a goat in a suit, but it will still be a goat. Or in that case- a terrible game.

Prone and Snipers are annoying yes, but realistically though they may kill you a max of 4 times match, if you're dying more i suggest you change your strategy, maybe try flanking/avoiding them.

yeah im sure my 52" samsung LCD isnt doing the poor graphics justice.... please.

Mother Beef
10-01-2011, 01:18 AM
yeah im sure my 52" samsung LCD isnt doing the shitty graphics justice.... please.

Unnecessary amount of douche bag in that post; i was simply asking.

Alright well then maybe you are not recognising the graphical style, most modern games such as CoD (mainly MW series)/Crysis use a lot of glossy textures and bloom. BF3 hasn't got very much of this and instead is going for a more dirty and real appearance; something that in some ways is seen in Homefront. But to say these graphics are 'shitty' is ridiculous. The guns look real, not these shiny plastic guns (even the guns made from steel) from MW2/3. Plus the use of lighting in the game is unbelievable, no other game has captured lighting in such a realistic way, firing a rocket down the subway or seeing a grenade explode looks simply fantastic.

Regardless like i said, graphics mean little to nothing; despite that they are amazing.

Dz06lt
10-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Unnecessary amount of douche bag in that post; i was simply asking.

Alright well then maybe you are not recognising the graphical style, most modern games such as CoD (mainly MW series)/Crysis use a lot of glossy textures and bloom. BF3 hasn't got very much of this and instead is going for a more dirty and real appearance; something that in some ways is seen in Homefront. But to say these graphics are 'shitty' is ridiculous. The guns look real, not these shiny plastic guns (even the guns made from steel) from MW2/3. Plus the use of lighting in the game is unbelievable, no other game has captured lighting in such a realistic way, firing a rocket down the subway or seeing a grenade explode looks simply fantastic.

Regardless like i said, graphics mean little to nothing; despite that they are amazing.

Clearly you are a CoD hateboy. These graphics look washed out and bland there is very little detail and texture to anything. Lighting is just an effect and note i never said that the effects or sounds were poor because they arent.

Nothing about this image looks plastic as you put it
http://xboxoz360.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/call-of-duty-black-ops-screenshots-oxcgn-35.jpg

and there is very little detail here, sure i find tons more pics to prove the point if you want....
http://attackofthefanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/battlefield_3-81.jpg

This ALSO doesnt change the fact that i realize this is an EARLY build and that the final product will look much much better. All im saying is quit drinkin the coolaid...

exo-apollo
10-01-2011, 01:37 AM
All ye of low faith are being tested by the one true god of battlefield. Come judgment day the true product will be revealed and all who remained faithful will be rewarded.

Mother Beef
10-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Clearly you are a CoD hateboy. These graphics look washed out and bland there is very little detail and texture to anything. Lighting is just an effect and note i never said that the effects or sounds were poor because they arent.

Nothing about this image looks plastic as you put it

and there is very little detail here, sure i find tons more pics to prove the point if you want....

This ALSO doesnt change the fact that i realize this is an EARLY build and that the final product will look much much better. All im saying is quit drinkin the coolaid...

HAHA CoD Hateboy, really? So my 15th prestige in Black Ops and the fact that I play it multiple times a week still makes me a 'hateboy'? Good one, no need to bring any time of 'war' into this. You also avoided the fact that i said that it is mainly the MW series that have the plastic graphics, if anything Black Ops has the dirty graphics evident in Homefront/BF3.

It is an early build and i guess there will inevitably be improvements (graphically) but would i care if there wasnt? No i wouldnt because i am more than content. Maybe i just dont see it, or we have different viewpoints on what constitutes on what is 'good'. In which case im going to agree to disagree.

Also as a side note, i dont think an explosion has ever looked that good in Black Ops for me, not the detail on the guy on the left. 32" LCD Samsung.

Dz06lt
10-01-2011, 01:48 AM
HAHA CoD Hateboy, really? So my 15th prestige in Black Ops and the fact that I play it multiple times a week still makes me a 'hateboy'? Good one, no need to bring any time of 'war' into this. You also avoided the fact that i said that it is mainly the MW series that have the plastic graphics, if anything Black Ops has the dirty graphics evident in Homefront/BF3.

It is an early build and i guess there will inevitably be improvements (graphically) but would i care if there wasnt? No i wouldnt because i am more than content. Maybe i just dont see it, or we have different viewpoints on what constitutes on what is 'good'. In which case im going to agree to disagree.

Also as a side note, i dont think an explosion has ever looked that good in Black Ops for me, not the detail on the guy on the left. 32" LCD Samsung.

So you have seen MW3 hands on huh, amazing. Also here is a shot from MW2 wouldnt say this gun looks "plasticy" either.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/398129-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-windows-screenshot-the-sub-s.jpg

Besides all that BS you cant honestly say that what we got in the beta is same thing they have been showing us up to this point. Because its not even close....

Tsukasa117
10-01-2011, 02:30 AM
I've never played a BF game before and tried the beta today and I'm not impressed in fact im a bit irritated. The first match im in I spawn in and start moving and fall through the ground and have to spend a good 2 mins. trying to jump out of it. Finally get into the fight and theres literally no margin for error if you don't get off the first shot your pretty much dead. The gametype is ripe with campers and spawn camping and this is supposed to be there ground based version of demolition on other games I guess. The spawning system bothe works for and against itself in game types I can think of because so long as a teammate is alive you can spawn in on him making for completely broken situations what if you just have one guy in a domination/territories style game just hiding so he can be a spawn mule and make it impossible for the apposing team to capture a point especially when this is coupled with the issue you cant get shot or your dead. I've been hearing from various people who chime in on the other posts about 'well its because there are no vehicles once you can use vehicles its so much better' and I have a hard time believing that adding a tank or a jet to a situation were the infantry on infantry aspect seems to fundamentally flawed will fix anything. The sound in the game is great but there not directional if a grenade goes off all you hear is an explosion theres no way to discern were it blew up. From what I gather its not just me whos angry about how hyped this title has gotten just to get thrown a beta that would make Golden Eye on the N64 look more appealing. Well thats about all I've been able to gather thus far via the beta I was hoping for something fresh and fun to take me away from the yearly release of another CoD which I've only ever been a small fan but looks like this attempt at usurping the rotating door of IF/Treyarch isn't gonna happen this year.

Supaaafly
10-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Never played Battlefield before so I won't comment too much on gameplay here as there are others better placed than me who know whether it's good or bad. However, many people, like me will be experiencing this for the first time based on the stunning (PC) videos, all the fanboys and all the hype EA and Dice have been spouting. So I think it's important to have a 'new to Battlefield' perspective.
My beta experience is as follows. After being informed multiple times that there were no servers available, I eventually get into a game 10 minutes later. Before I can figure out the controls I fall through the ground. I eventually manage to get back on terra firma, and what a bland, featureless, world it is? Where have all the lush graphics and dazzling light effects gone? No word of lie, this game looks like an original Xbox game. It is woeful! Regardless, I soldier on. I believe I need to defend B. Why? No idea. As I make my way there, I am told that B has been lost. How, and to whom, I still have no idea. This is about 1 minute into the game.
Another thing, not only are the graphics dismal, but there's no weight to the character or actual presence. Think Black Ops, as opposed to MW2, only worse. Everything feels very floaty and light.
So it's very late, and that was pretty much enough to convince me that I no longer need Battlefield 3. I'll give the beta another look tomorrow if I can get on one of EA's servers, but I certainly won't be buying this game. Between Gears, Forza, Arkham City, MW3, Skyrim and Assassins Creed, I think I'll have all my bases covered.

Tatanko
10-01-2011, 03:44 AM
All ye of low faith are being tested by the one true god of battlefield. Come judgment day the true product will be revealed and all who remained faithful will be rewarded.
Quoted for posterity :D

Mother Beef
10-01-2011, 04:49 AM
So you have seen MW3 hands on huh, amazing. Also here is a shot from MW2 wouldnt say this gun looks "plasticy" either.

Besides all that BS you cant honestly say that what we got in the beta is same thing they have been showing us up to this point. Because its not even close....

Well considering the amount of gameplay ive watched (surprised? Im not such a 'hateboy' after all) from CoDXP. I would say yeah, its kept the bloomy semi plastic looking graphics. I would say that the guns do looks plasticy, the colours are too arfical and vibrant. There nothing wrong with it, its just the MW series (aside from MW1) style, most likely to promote the 'arcade' feeling that the gameplay promotes. Battelfield uses lighter tones, everything has a lighter 'wash' of sorts over it, once again, to promote their style- realism.

Look at the Black Ops picture you put above and compare it to the MW2 picture that you just posted. You cannot deny that MW has a decent 'artificial' look towards it.

I do agree that these arnt the visuals we have been given, but what have we really been given for the Xbox 360? One fairly short trailer thats what; yes its most likely a more recent build hence why some people are surprised but it didnt really ever show much; The true graphics are never going to be seen on the Xbox or even PS3 for that matter, this game is meant for the PC and even the beta's gameplay on PC looks amazing despite its aged build, especially for those who can run it on 'ultra' setting. I suggest you look at some videos of Caspian Border on youtube.

Barad
10-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I enjoyed it but it has a lot of issues, far too many issues and that's the messed up servers aside, alpha software my ass.

Gackt
10-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I was super excited for this game, and after playing the beta....I took it off my Gamefly. lol.

exo-apollo
10-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Quoted for posterity :D

Haha if I am wrong I will stick that quote in my signature for all eternity for everyone to see.

Kaiyo
10-02-2011, 04:43 AM
They're holding back on the 360 beta, wtf... Wheres the full on destruction?