PDA

View Full Version : Comparing BF3 to DICE's more recent works, and my slight conclusion.

stuhp
09-27-2011, 07:09 PM
After a few games of Rush in the beta, I've come to the slight conclusion that Battlefield 3's gameplay is likely more similar to Medal of Honor than it is DICE's other works. One of the first things I've noticed is that the bullet travel is immediate contact - no hang-time, or drop for that matter. MoH employed this. Player health is considerably lesser than usual, which is slightly reminiscent of MoH as well. BF3 sees better gun customization - something which can be argued that MoH was a predecessor of. Gun recoil seems to make me recall Bad Company 2, however, which brings a unique twist to everything else that feels so different.

I'd elaborate more on other details, but it's still early for me, and I'm still trying to wake up. :p

Mechanic-wise, this game remains true to Bad Company 2 and all else, but the gameplay rings differently. No doubt that this will be an enjoyable aspect of Battlefield 3's multiplayer. But I don't know about myself, unfortunately. MoH's multiplayer was an enjoyable experience as well, but it seemed to go downhill all too soon for me once everything was all said and done. Now that I'm slightly convinced that BF3 seems more similar to MoH than DICE's other works, I'm afraid I may experience the same merely weeks down the line, despite all the new additions.

Probably should've seen this coming with the recent, raw infantry gameplay footage. I had that feeling. I just didn't want to believe it.

I dunno. Maybe BF3 just won't be for me? Which would suck if that's the case, because I was hoping for BF3 to be my new multiplayer of choice. Halo: Reach has lost its luster, and Gears of War 3 - I tend to stick to co-op like Horde or campaign. Besides that, whenever I do touch its multiplayer, I'm K/D indifferent - which makes me feel less competitive to a fault.

I'll likely play some more rounds during the next few days before I finally make up my mind. But at this moment, I'm unfortunately leaning towards skipping this title. My friends have been looking forward to BF3, too, so if I opt not to get it, it'd be a serious loss on my end :( Though I suppose, for what it's worth, I've never been a multiplayer man to begin with :o

EDIT: It also doesn't help that I got stuck with a loudmouther on my team for my first few games, and I couldn't tell what his gamertag was (so I could mute him) since no mic symbol showed for any one person. Kinda had to determine that by whenever I hear a disgruntled sigh and I see a friendly on the KIA list :D

Also, granted, this is the beta, and I understand that I'm mainly here to help fix bugs - not to judge. I apologize if I sound like I may be doing otherwise.

Suiken
09-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I've gotta call bullshit on the statement about no bullet drop. DICE has said many times that bullet drop will be in the game.

stuhp
09-27-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing it myself. Bullet contact looks immediate to me. I've been testing it with the sniper class espescially, since bullet drop and all else is immediately apparent with the sniper rifles.

Believe me, I'd rather like to be proven wrong. But what I see is what I see.

littlejay
09-27-2011, 09:10 PM
the alpha didnt have bullet drop either but it will be there they said.

stuhp
09-27-2011, 09:28 PM
I wonder how they mean to include it in the final build, if they're not really testing it here in the beta.

I suppose it's besides the point, though. Whether it's included or not, everything still feels like MoH to me. And I'm not sure if I'd be able to enjoy myself with the multiplayer as much if that turns out to be the case. I could just be psyching myself out, though. Who knows?

SDM Kahuna
09-28-2011, 12:39 AM
With regards to bullet drop it's certainly there. I'm playing both pc and 360 versions of the beta at the moment and at range you have to aim high.

I can see where you would think there is none since most of the time the average engagement is at most at 50 - 100 yards at which distance the bullet is still rising from recoil at that distance and yes it feels a bit like a damn rail gun.

I have come across a lot of people saying it feels like MoH and the infantry only Paris metro map easily gives the same tight shoot and scoot mechanic.

One thing to bear in mind is there have been discussions of maps like the Gulf of Oman being 7 flags on conquest and lest we not forget the jets, so plenty of room required for those.

I'm personally looking forward to offering some CAS from an A10 to any deserving squadmates.

Hopefully as the Beta continues we will get another map. There are a few locked test servers running Caspian Sea atm so fingers crossed :)

Suiken
09-28-2011, 06:19 AM
With regards to bullet drop it's certainly there. I'm playing both pc and 360 versions of the beta at the moment and at range you have to aim high.

I can see where you would think there is none since most of the time the average engagement is at most at 50 - 100 yards at which distance the bullet is still rising from recoil at that distance and yes it feels a bit like a damn rail gun.

This is exactly what I suspected. Thank you for confirming.

stuhp
09-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Right, so I gave the beta a few more matches. It's fun to say the least, and it's getting easier for me to see past the MoH comparison, though not by much. Chances are that if I do decide to pick this up, though, it'll probably be for the PC instead. 24 players on even Metro seems a little empty. My tower needs a game to call its own anyway :D

Something like that, I guess. :o

MediumMelanin
09-29-2011, 04:14 AM
There's noticeable bullet drop at long ranges, but less than Battlefield Bad Company 2. Or is it just me? Anyway, the game's great, and I don't even like "Rush"! Caspian Border and Conquest takes the cake!

stuhp
10-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Been playing more and more of it, this time with friends. View of the beta has changed for the better. Looks like I'm getting it after all. So, you know, this whole thread has been a waste a time.

Well at least I got some extra posts out of it :D

Suiken
10-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Battlefield 3 Beta Long Range Sniping in Caspian Border - YouTube

This link of Caspian Border gameplay clearly shows bullet drop. I just wanted to post this since it was somewhat of an open question.

CGPsaint
10-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Battlefield 3 Beta Long Range Sniping in Caspian Border - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P27vnyN8iI)

This link of Caspian Border gameplay clearly shows bullet drop. I just wanted to post this since it was somewhat of an open question.

Let me be the one to point out that the sniping in that video is ridiculous.

Anthonymrb
10-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Let me be the one to point out that the sniping in that video is ridiculous.

I wanted to do the same. That was crazy. I would be so pissed if I was the other team. Lol:uzi:

CGPsaint
10-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I wanted to do the same. That was crazy. I would be so pissed if I was the other team. Lol:uzi:

I would be cool if it showed a statistic for how for the hit marker was.

littlejay
10-11-2011, 04:38 PM
also, nobody pointing out the barrier jumping looking like mirrors edge stuff? :p
bf3 is a long time in the making. it makes sense that it shows in all their other games.

CGPsaint
10-11-2011, 04:39 PM
also, nobody pointing out the barrier jumping looking like mirrors edge stuff? :p
bf3 is a long time in the making. it makes sense that it shows in all their other games.

Thankfully they keep the acrobatics to a minimum. I don't want to have to keep a barf bag next to the couch!

Suiken
10-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Sniping is too easy on a PC because of the mouse, which is the main reason I prefer to play shooters on console games.

If anyone could pull that off on the XBOX I would be impressed. I know I certainly couldn't.

CGPsaint
10-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Sniping is too easy on a PC because of the mouse, which is the main reason I prefer to play shooters on console games.

If anyone could pull that off on the XBOX I would be impressed. I know I certainly couldn't.

Playing shooters in general is easier on the PC. I remember the thousands of hours that I logged in Counter-Strike. Ahhh, those were the days!

rc deaths agent
10-11-2011, 05:12 PM
There's noticeable bullet drop at long ranges, but less than Battlefield Bad Company 2. Or is it just me? Anyway, the game's great, and I don't even like "Rush"! Caspian Border and Conquest takes the cake! Amen to that! Bring on conquest and vehicles, i can't wait!

CGPsaint
10-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Amen to that! Bring on conquest and vehicles, i can't wait!

I'm not sure which I'm more excited about. The prospect of being able to use the vehicles, or more importantly destroy enemy vehicles!

plum
10-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Fuck sake that sniper is amazing,he must play bf all day

CGPsaint
10-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Fuck sake that sniper is amazing,he must play bf all day

Either that, or this is a compilation of his greatest shots over the past couple of years...

Cooljoe
10-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Intersting argument op, particularly about bf3 being like moh. Very interesting...

CGPsaint
10-12-2011, 03:15 AM
Intersting argument op, particularly about bf3 being like moh. Very interesting...

It's not "interesting!" It's "bad." Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy MoH: Airborne, but this last MoH was not exactly a work of art. BF should look and play like BF. If anything, other games could learn a thing or two from the BF franchise.

stuhp
10-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Wait, why is this thread still alive? Let it die already lol

rc deaths agent
10-12-2011, 07:16 AM
I'm not sure which I'm more excited about. The prospect of being able to use the vehicles, or more importantly destroy enemy vehicles! Both are equally gratifying for me, love it all!!

Oh and thank god, or DICE for lock on rocket launchers this time arround.