PDA

View Full Version : Is this game as terrible as they Say

Pakhair
10-09-2011, 10:22 PM
No doubt the reviews have been terrible. But as the title states is it as terrible as they say?

I loved shattered dimensions played it twice and spent hours an hours in it, So where did they went wrong? Is the combat system and level layout of both spideys same as from previous game? Is it fun?

You can also add anything else you want :)

cutchinz
10-09-2011, 10:25 PM
If you loved SD, then you'll love this one just as much, unless the only reason you liked SD was for Ultimate and Noir. The story is a big improvement from Shattered Dimensions, and the gameplay is just as good. The only thing that they could have improved on is have more villains in the game, because there are only a few.

twistedonyx13
10-09-2011, 10:35 PM
hands down worst Spider-Man game ever - horrible boss fights, no combos, stupid challenges - X-Men Destiny was better

cutchinz
10-09-2011, 10:51 PM
hands down worst Spider-Man game ever - horrible boss fights, no combos, stupid challenges - X-Men Destiny was better
It may not be as good as some of Spidey's old games, but how can you possibly rank Friend or Foe above this?

daishichi
10-10-2011, 12:09 AM
I am posting a bit early on this, as I just completed Act 2 last night (hey, I have a job and a kid), but I feel like I can rate the game at this point, especially in comparison to Shattered Dimensions.

I give SD an 8.5, and EoT a 6.5-7.0 (we'll see how I like Act 3).

SD gets -1 for having no real plot (it's a shameless tour of Spidey's rogue's gallery, which is fine by me) and -.5 for being linear (who doesn't love to web-swing through an open world?).

EoT get's a full -1 for its claustrophobic closed world; you're indoors the whole time, and if you web swing at all it's down a friggin' tunnel. Another -1 for subtracting from the combat instead of adding to it (which you really should if you're going to remove two Spider-Men); the upgrades are positively boring, all stuff you could do early on in other Spidey games, and the Overdrive meter is stupid. And another -1 for repetitive enemies and settings.

That brings us down to 7.0, so now it's just a question of whether the boss fights are disappointing or very disappointing. After 13 varied, multi-stage boss fights in SD, I've faced an Anti-Venom who could easily have been any random big enemy, and a Black Cat who was far less interesting than the version I fought in Web of Shadows. If Act 3 makes up for this a bit, we're down to 6.5, but it's looking more like 6.0

It gets a +0.5 for the writing, though; I am really enjoying the dialogue and the story (got to a cool twist last night). It only gets a half point, though, because while the time-bending idea is kinda cool...they could have done so much more with it! I loved that, in SD, they created a Noir Hammerhead and a completely original Hobgoblin and Doctor Octopus for 2099. Imagine what they could have done with some timeline-altered villains for totally original boss fights!

I would have paid $20 for this on XBLA, but it's pretty disappointing for a full retail purchase. I wish they'd taken another year to make it a fully realized adventure.

JayShockblast
10-10-2011, 03:05 AM
I gave up on this game. I was playing act one for like four hours and it just wouldn't end and none of the achievements were popping for me. I got the first one and nothing else. I RedBoxed it and it was a great decision. It will show 10/1000 for the rest of time.

Benty666
10-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Us in the UK finally get the game on friday. I've ordered it and looking forward to playing it. I understand that if I compare it to shattered demensions that I'll be disappointed but lets look at the review for Duke Nukem: Forever. The only reason it got bad reviews is because everyone was comparing the graphics to Modern Warfare.
At the end of the day it was Duke Nukem plain and simple and I'm guessing all the critics never played 3D.

I'm a huge comic fan and as long as the game isn't as bad as Superman Returns then I should enjoy it.

Aquaman6686
10-10-2011, 02:09 PM
It's a good game, but not NEARLY as good as Shattered Dimensions. The story is better, and the voice acting is at the same level or above, but everything else is worse. The combat is dumbed down and not nearly as fluid, 2/3 of the moves from the first game are gone, the combo system has been removed entirely, and the enemies are even more bland and generic.

Bajan Elite
10-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Shattered Dimensions was better, it was funny and it had more combos and abilities to unlock. I played it twice and didn't unlock everything. They removed the counter and evade ability in Edge of Time. The game got repetitive, too many free fall segments, too many defeat three waves of enemies to obtain 3 keys to open a door. The story was better but the game just wasn't as fun. SD deserved an 8/10 EOT deserves a 6.5/10 IMO

This be DMK
10-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Imagine what they could have done with some timeline-altered villains for totally original boss fights!

What with the way Newspapers were poping up, I was expecting a funny twist on a fairly strong Spidey foe and a rather serious one for someone like Stilt Man or something.

They could have at least made it so we fought Doc Oc.

LucasGFX
10-11-2011, 05:38 AM
I just finished it tonight and I have to say I was terribly disappointed. Even as a huge comic fan, I thought it was bad. I only played through it to see how the story turned out. Web of Shadows is still my favorite Spidey game.

Wolverine MU
10-11-2011, 07:42 AM
I enjoyed it.Although it seemed to be a simplified version of SD.The story was ok, the combat was alright but pretty repetitive.I miss Noir.

Fang Foom
10-11-2011, 11:56 AM
I guess I dont want spoilers as I MAY still get this despite the reviews, but are there many other characters in the game. Obviously SD had Sandman, Vulture etc but all ive seen from this is antivenom and black cat!?!

Pakhair
10-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Us in the UK finally get the game on friday. I've ordered it and looking forward to playing it. I understand that if I compare it to shattered demensions that I'll be disappointed but lets look at the review for Duke Nukem: Forever. The only reason it got bad reviews is because everyone was comparing the graphics to Modern Warfare.
At the end of the day it was Duke Nukem plain and simple and I'm guessing all the critics never played 3D.

I'm a huge comic fan and as long as the game isn't as bad as Superman Returns then I should enjoy it.

Man to be honest, I really enjoyed DNF. It had tons of shortcoming but the game was fun and goofy. BUT surely they can improve 1000% in sequel, if they are going to do it right.

Pakhair
10-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Thank You guys for the input. So simply it's dumbed down version of SD or we can say a prolonged DLC of SD. For some reasons the game wasn't grabbing me since I started to follow it's coverage.

It such a shame, it ended out this way :(. Purchasing is definitely out of the window, might rent or trade it it once the value goes down. After all there are so many great games coming this holiday Batman AC, AC Revelations, Skyrim, COD MW 3 and Battlefield 3 to name a few

KurtySpartan117
10-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Kudos to you dude i thought the same thing too.

Prodigy5281
10-11-2011, 03:23 PM
No doubt the reviews have been terrible. But as the title states is it as terrible as they say?

I loved shattered dimensions played it twice and spent hours an hours in it, So where did they went wrong? Is the combat system and level layout of both spideys same as from previous game? Is it fun?

I don't think it's terrible. Shattered Dimensions is better though. I think what makes Shattered Dimensions better is particular moves that you have and the interesting villains you face. In edge of Time you don't fight nearly as many villains and the changed certain moves....like the web jump...SD you could continuously do it, but EoT makes you have to touch ground before you can do it again. SD is definitely the better game, but after playing EoT a few times, I think it's a decent game.

Riskbreaker Kyo
10-11-2011, 04:56 PM

This game is not a bad game, but it not worth buying it @ full price. I would suggest renting it. The problem is the game feels like a DLC. The entire game is within one building & you only have 3 bosses (4 if you count that mutation). Shattered dimensions is definitely better.

JeremyVersion1
10-11-2011, 06:45 PM
I rented this yesterday and have to take it back today (Redbox) and I gotta say, it's a huge disappointment for me. Keep Spidey in doors is a horrible decision, and after hours of playing I have yet to complete the first Act. It's boring, repetitive and at times, frustrating. I don't mind having to save Spidey in a certain amount of time, but if you're gonna have small cutscenes where I can't fucking move or do anything, the fucking timer should stop.

Not worth the retail price or a rental.

Mispeld
10-12-2011, 12:48 AM
boring, repetitive gameplay story line is not that interesting and really no good boss fights or villains.

CrustyDirtDemon
10-12-2011, 09:38 AM
I really enjoyed the game, and it was really easy. At least for me, a must play for the above average skilled gamer...lol

SaintKnight
10-12-2011, 10:03 PM
For once, Gamefly comes in handy (:

I've played it briefly so far and I can start seeing some things that may be a problem. That intro of crawling in vents took a little too long I think, but I think I am just being so critical. I'm going to beat the game no matter what, but the 100% depends on how much I enjoy the game in the end.

Rapture639
10-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Definitely not as good as the last 2 Spider-Man games, since the game was rushed in development and it really shows with how short the campaign is (about 5-7 hours depending on whether or not you're re-doing the challenges or spending extra time searching for the golden spiders).

However, the achievements are much easier to obtain since the game is shorter and you don't have to run through the campaign multiple times like you did in Shattered Dimensions. This is a game you could probably get the full 1000/1000 in a weekend if you spent the entire weekend playing nothing but this. Otherwise it would probably take you about 4-5 days.

Benty666
10-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Finished the game yesterday and here's what I have to say:

Quite a short game, characters aren't as interesting as SD, nor are there as many references/easter eggs. The game is obsessesd with the number 3 as well (those who have played know what I mean), 3 keys, fight the same boss 3 times etc. I liked the story but at the same time was expecting more. And one of the boss fights annoyed me so much I smashed one of my controllers.

However, despite all that I'm gonna play it again. Not just for the achievements but I really enjoyed the game. There's just something about it that has appeal.

Fried Cola
10-17-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't get all the hate this game is getting. Yes its short, didn't get much QA (I jumped through a wall and began falling forever in the first area lol), and the controls tend to fail a lot climbing around on walls, but if you're going to slam a game, do so on its faults as a game.

claiming the game is bad because 'it takes place inside one building' is retarded. I get you, you prefer to swing around the great outdoors like Tarzan, doesn't make the game bad tho.

People are also being unusually harsh on the story and the writing. The most thought went into the banter between O'hara and Parker which is well done. The plot is just as schlocky and cliched as the comic books are, so I don't know what people were expecting. And the writing does have its moments, even if you have to put them together. Like the whole temporal causality thing which may explain how Val Kilmer went from svelt good looking movie star to looking like Steven Seagal (fat with a ponytail) IRL

If I blew $60 on Edge of Time new, I suppose I'd be angry too. I haven't played Shattered Dimensions, but I have played much much worse than this so either SD made everyone's expectations way too high, or /v/ has metastacised.

Also, Edge of Time gets way better if you imagine the CEO boss is Bobby Kotick and his reasoning to kill Parker is because Spiderman is 'old and broken'. No, it really makes the game better.

The game is obsessesd with the number 3 as well (those who have played know what I mean), 3 keys, fight the same boss 3 times etc.

hey, you're right. EoT also brings up eggs a lot. There's also the rat thing which I thought was just minor detail to add to the game's atmosphere, but there's a bunch of drawings in the credits with the rat in it. Reminds me of the whole crawling through the ducts in Metal Gear Solid and haivng a flashback in MGS4 where old snake goes, "OH YEAH, THERE WERE RATS IN HERE!" when he's crawling through them again.

Tyger7
10-18-2011, 06:27 AM
I must admit, so far I am not all that impressed. I do like the graphics and the style.

If you have not played Shattered Dimensions, then you will enjoy this game a lot more than if you have. Shattered Dimensions was very much about different villians. You also controlled 4 different spider mans, not just 2. The villian aspect was awesome, it really set the mood!

It has one of the worst introductions though. You literally have to sit there for 3-5 minutes (I lost track) holding the analogue stick up, moving Spider Man forward on a set path in a vent listening to some guy talk. Sooo boring, I had to replay the level to find a spider and my shoulders literally dropped as I realized what I had to go through again.

FreakingOut246
10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I must admit, so far I am not all that impressed. I do like the graphics and the style.

If you have not played Shattered Dimensions, then you will enjoy this game a lot more than if you have. Shattered Dimensions was very much about different villians. You also controlled 4 different spider mans, not just 2. The villian aspect was awesome, it really set the mood!

It has one of the worst introductions though. You literally have to sit there for 3-5 minutes (I lost track) holding the analogue stick up, moving Spider Man forward on a set path in a vent listening to some guy talk. Sooo boring, I had to replay the level to find a spider and my shoulders literally dropped as I realized what I had to go through again.

Meh, that's not the game... just you being impatient.

daishichi
10-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Meh, that's not the game... just you being impatient.

No, gotta agree with Tyger here: if you're going to force a replay on us with an unlockable Hard mode, just make it a cutscene I can skip. I thought it was a neat way to roll intro credits, but I ended up playing that level four times. The second time, on Hard, I trusted I would find a missing spider on my own but didn't, so played it a third time after consulting a guide. After getting my 1000, I saw I was still at 97% complete, so went back for the memos I missed: guess where #1 is. The second two runs, I used the old rubber-banded joystick trick and stepped out to the porch for a smoke.

FreakingOut246
10-18-2011, 04:34 PM
No, gotta agree with Tyger here: if you're going to force a replay on us with an unlockable Hard mode, just make it a cutscene I can skip. I thought it was a neat way to roll intro credits, but I ended up playing that level four times. The second time, on Hard, I trusted I would find a missing spider on my own but didn't, so played it a third time after consulting a guide. After getting my 1000, I saw I was still at 97% complete, so went back for the memos I missed: guess where #1 is. The second two runs, I used the old rubber-banded joystick trick and stepped out to the porch for a smoke.

Yeah you're right, it should have been at least skippable. The first time I saw it, I thought it was cool though.

Fried Cola
10-19-2011, 02:15 AM

The one that got to me real bad was the damaged radioactive canisters part. That story bit goes on for about 2-3 minutes, can't be skipped, and reloading the checkpoint forces you to watch the whole damn thing all over again. Even better, you're still forced to watch it when selecting to do the challenge there.

still better than X-Men Destiny tho.