PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about Drake Sword

exsiben
10-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I started as a wanderer a bit of speed not brute strength. And then fighting some of the mini bosses I realized the drake sword makes it endlessly easier. Not impossible with the regular weapon but pretty painful. My question is how do you guys feel about the weapon, does it make the game cheesy? Too easy to be that powerful that early? I mean the game is still obviously hard I can't imagine it without that sword. I just feel like it's kinda lame for it to feel required.

XxStuartxX 1990
10-11-2011, 10:00 AM
A little hint for you DON'T depend to heavily on the Drake sword as when you get farther into the game its pretty poor since it

needs an incredible rare item and alot of souls to upgrade

doesnt get a stat boost depending on your strengh

it doesnt have an alt attack stat like magic

Personnally I use the astora straight sword since I'm using a faith strengh build.

as for your question I suppose it does nerf the difficulty abit but if your hardcore you can always opt not to pick it up

InsertCoffee
10-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I had the same thoughts about it, so I started using it only for bosses or the black knights. But as above mentioned: it will eventually fall behind regular upgraded weapons. My Longsword+8 makes almost the same damage plus several benefits: onehanded thrust attack for tunnels and a two-handed heavy attac which doesnt rape my durability. Although I have a little less dmg, I stopped using the drake sword. And in the late game or the NG+, which is the way everyone of us is going, the drake sword is joke. So I think its still kind of balanced...It was supposed to be a secret (try hiding a secret from youtube-.-) and should reward the ones who found it. But it's not making it a runthrough, because if you get sloppy, you will die. (I started to get sloppy a lot with it..."Yeah little Skeleton, feel the wrath of the drake WTFWHEREISMYHEALTH??"). So I guess it's a big help/friend early on, but not gamechanging in my opinion. Btw: Who else did try to kill the dragon? About 300 Arrows and he was still like "sup?"...I mean if his tail gives you a badass sword...I wonder what his head will drop...a BFG?

Brengun
10-11-2011, 10:13 AM
All I can say is thank God you can grt it so early on, it doesn't exactly make the game easy, but it lessens the pain quite a bit until you find better weapons! I've got a pretty decent spear I use as well (can't remember the name), but for boses I switch back to the Drake sword at the moment, it doesn't make me feel all powerfull, but it does make me feel better about my chances of surviving.

UberChew
10-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Like people are saying it does not get better with your stats so will become useless.

I to am using the astro's straight sword and with just one upgrade and me putting stats in strength dex and faith (17,15,14) it is at 199 compared to Drakes base 200

I'm only about level 24 so yeah it drake is just could at the start of the game so you can find your feet

god knows what I would have done with out it :)

CrippleTron33
10-11-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm sticking with the Drake sword, buffed it up twice so far. What I don't understand is why the Drake sword still does twice the damage of my Astora sword even though on the stats screen it says I can do 222 damage with Astora... I don't think the Magic damage is counting even though my Faith is at 15. Anyone have an idea about this?

InsertCoffee
10-11-2011, 01:18 PM
because the damagestat is showing the total damage. Means: Magic+Normal. The same with my Divine Broadsword. The stat is 211 but it makes a lot less damage than the drake sword.

Crinkstar
10-11-2011, 01:19 PM
I assure you, the drake sword gives you a bit of a bonus early on but that's about it.
I'm currently playing through as a sorcerer/warrior hybrid, so most enemies other than bosses are half dead by the time they get close to me anyway and the drake sword is excellent for finishing them off, however it's not the most powerful item in my possession.

I currently have the black knights halberd and sword along with a crystal halberd all of which are more powerful than the drake sword, however of the lot I can only use the crystal halberd, due to the strength/dexterity requirements of the other two.

For it's requirements and damage, the Drake sword is fantastic though.

UberChew
10-11-2011, 01:26 PM
because the damagestat is showing the total damage. Means: Magic+Normal. The same with my Divine Broadsword. The stat is 211 but it makes a lot less damage than the drake sword.

Are all monsters effected by the magic attack or only certain types?

CrippleTron33
10-11-2011, 01:26 PM

So how come this magic isn't inflicting any damage when you attack enemies? I'm curious..

InsertCoffee
10-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Because the game is mean...I have no idea. Right now the only reason I have a divine weapon is because of the catacombs...but even there my normal weapons are doing more dmg than the divine one. Maybe Magic is just a shitty enchantment. I have yet to find an enemy to inflict the full potential of damage on. Tested it on Drakes, Black Knights, Skeletons (a lot), zombies, Pinwheel and Queelag...Nothing. I don't have a fire or lightning weapon and I'm certainly not far in the game (after second bell, I'm kind of pussying around because I don't know where to go and everywhere I go, I get my ass kicked.) So maybe it will come into play later. Or it is a NG+ exclusive, like diablo where the minions all got resistances...

kingzeppelin
10-11-2011, 03:04 PM
So how come this magic isn't inflicting any damage when you attack enemies? I'm curious..

:confused:

locoloco
10-11-2011, 04:28 PM
The drake sword is so nice because it allows a buffer for new players to make mistakes in combat.

IMxOI
10-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Drake sword is useful until you reach sen fortress, then it is just too weak and lacking range. If you really want to upgrade a dragon weapon then do it on the dragon hammer or the dragon great sword.

Xathlak
10-11-2011, 05:25 PM
I think they made it obtainable as it is on purpose. That tail is just sitting there asking to be attacked, I'm sure they full well knew people would. DS is a game that rewards thoroughness. Does it make things too easy? No. It evens the playing field some early on tho, that's for damned sure.

Now farming the souls behind the sealed door? Pretty cheesy IMO, but I'm still doing it. Shooting the dragon in the back to make it die? Seems like a bug to me, but I still did it. Why? Because it's a frickin' hard game! Soul levels don't mean much when stuff can kill you in 2 seconds with a curse, or knock you back off ledges, or team up on you and turn you into spaghetti.

locoloco
10-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Drake sword is useful until you reach sen fortress, then it is just too weak and lacking range. If you really want to upgrade a dragon weapon then do it on the dragon hammer or the dragon great sword.

Sen's Fortress is a great place to stop using the drake sword; by that point, it's usefulness diminishes greatly.

KriugerisLT
10-11-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm at a dilemma too concerning the Drake Sword... I have been using it since i got it at the start of the game, now it's +2 but it's getting a lot weaker (in Sen's Fortress this was very evident).

But now I don't know which weapon I should use/get/upgrade etc.

I recently got the Demon's Spear, the weapon looks kick-ass but the damage SHOULD be bigger than Drake Sword's if you measure it's both Physical and Lightning dmg, but it's not...

But the Demon's Spear has stat scaling and also upgrades for it aren't so costly (5000 souls and Demon Titanite).

I have quite the assortment of shields for every situation, and I'm lost on what weapon to use at the moment :confused:

My stats are:

Vit: 20
Att: 14
End: 23
Str: 24
Dex: 20
Res: 13
Int: 10
Fth: 14

Soul level 54

I'm going for something like an agile Pyromancer, only my Pyromancy spells aren't very rich in variety atm.

Any tips on a better weapon than Drake Sword?

locoloco
10-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm at a dilemma too concerning the Drake Sword... I have been using it since i got it at the start of the game, now it's +2 but it's getting a lot weaker (in Sen's Fortress this was very evident).

But now I don't know which weapon I should use/get/upgrade etc.

I recently got the Demon's Spear, the weapon looks kick-ass but the damage SHOULD be bigger than Drake Sword's if you measure it's both Physical and Lightning dmg, but it's not...

Any tips on a better weapon than Drake Sword?

I would try to use the weapons that take advantage of your enemies in each area. If you don't have the reference materials to take that advantage, I've heard the astora sword in, I think Darkroot Basin?, is a great weapon to use afterwards.

For example, I used the lightning spear to take advantage of the enemies short reach in Sen's fortress; the boss was also weak to lightning and made quick work of him as well.

KriugerisLT
10-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah well, I had a white phantom in my game, and he must have killed the Mimic that drops the Lightning Spear because I know that I didn't kill him, and he took his sweet time getting upstairs to help me with the Iron Golem.

Well but I did some research and the Lightning Spear doesn't have stat scalling, so it's kinda pointless to use it.

btw, does intellingence increase your Pyromancy spell damage or not?

Vindicator51
10-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Just upgrade a Halberd with Lightning to the max, then you can beat the rest of the game easily.

KriugerisLT
10-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Weird, I have a Halberd and I meet all the stat requirements, but when I swing it, it looks and feels like I don't... I do only one type of swing with it, and my character wobles while doing so, as if I lack something for that weapon?

What seems to be the problem?

InsertCoffee
10-11-2011, 07:58 PM
it's a halberd...=long stick+axe+pointy end. The way he wobles, is the proper way of using it. I mean if you use it single-handed: He almost throws it like a spear. It's a little bit heavy in the front, so if you would want to prevent the wobbling, you would have to hold it more near your "blade", which would result in the range of a sword...which would make the whole halberd obsolete.
At least thats my point of view. But it is a great weapon nonetheless...Ah those little Bushmen do probably still hate me for stabbing three of them at once^^

To the Lightning-Spear (which I just found. hooray) It may not have a statscale, but it's cheaper to upgrade than the drake sword and it has lightning, which is not only cool, it does also stagger the enemy (looks like it. confirmation?)

@intelligence I'm pretty sure catalysts/flames/talismans scale with it, which will eventually improve your damage with spells.

KriugerisLT
10-11-2011, 08:06 PM
No, I shouldn't be swinging my Halberd like that. I know that because every weapon has at least 3-4 weapon swing variations. And I only do one animation with it, and my stamina is drained in only two hits...

What do I lack?!

Even when I dual-wield it, the same shit happens. When I swing it, it looks like I lack str or smth, even though I meet the requirements.

IMxOI
10-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Well I would suugest using the lighting spear you get in sen fortress, when upgraded to the max it do around 2xx base and 2xx lighting. It is enough for you to get to the late part of the game and most importantly, you can still block while you attack.

Strid
10-12-2011, 01:29 AM

But the Demon's Spear has stat scaling and also upgrades for it aren't so costly (5000 souls and Demon Titanite).

I have quite the assortment of shields for every situation, and I'm lost on what weapon to use at the moment :confused:

By the time I got my Drake Sword to +2 I snagged a Demon's Spear. I was let down by the values, but it looked cool so I wanted to play with it for a bit. I begin to notice some very cool things. Sure it's weaker, but it provides a ton more range and the ability to be shielded while striking, it also strikes much, much quicker and can cancel an enemies attack. It's very, very easy to get in multiple hits with this weapon (and backstabs), and this is where it shines. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but for every poke you take the damage is multiplied, i.e. hit #1 = 80 #2 = 170 #3 = 250, etc. etc. Mine was +1 all through Sen's and my first would get me around 130, 3rd around 415 (STR and DEX both at 19, Endurance at 14 so a 4th swing was not in my best interest, but in most cases not even necessary).

So as you can see, already at +1 this spear is a contender to a Lightening Spear at max and it provides more options than a Drake Sword.

IMxOI
10-12-2011, 01:39 AM
By the time I got my Drake Sword to +2 I snagged a Demon's Spear. I was let down by the values, but it looked cool so I wanted to play with it for a bit. I begin to notice some very cool things. Sure it's weaker, but it provides a ton more range and the ability to be shielded while striking, it also strikes much, much quicker and can cancel an enemies attack. It's very, very easy to get in multiple hits with this weapon (and backstabs), and this is where it shines. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but for every poke you take the damage is multiplied, i.e. hit #1 = 80 #2 = 170 #3 = 250, etc. etc. Mine was +1 all through Sen's and my first would get me around 130, 3rd around 415 (STR and DEX both at 19, Endurance at 14 so a 4th swing was not in my best interest, but in most cases not even necessary).

So as you can see, already at +1 this spear is a contender to a Lightening Spear at max and it provides more options than a Drake Sword.

Oh I think you misunderstood the damage when doing combos. When you hit an enemy multiple times the number shown is the total damage you are doing not each individual hits.

Metabolic XBA
10-12-2011, 01:48 AM
I'm sticking with the Drake sword, buffed it up twice so far. What I don't understand is why the Drake sword still does twice the damage of my Astora sword even though on the stats screen it says I can do 222 damage with Astora... I don't think the Magic damage is counting even though my Faith is at 15. Anyone have an idea about this?

The damage you do will hardly ever be translated exactly to what your weapon stats are due to the fact that different enemies react differently to different weapon types, like an armored enemy will take less damage from a slashing attack that from a piercing attack I think. It's an incredibly complicated system

Strid
10-12-2011, 01:58 AM
Oh I think you misunderstood the damage when doing combos. When you hit an enemy multiple times the number shown is the total damage you are doing not each individual hits.

Really? The only reason I brought it up was that I didn't notice this with the Drake Sword at all, hmm, back to the board. Still, from the data I do have, the Demon's Spear will outclass the Lightening Spear fairly early in its lifespan, granted a player can manage the Demon Tatinite, since most of the sources for this are able to be skipped.

Valfor
10-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Im upgrading my lightning spear (so far its +3) where i can farm more titanite chunk?

Kernel Cob
10-12-2011, 11:46 AM
I've been using the Drake sword and its done me well. But I am very early in game. Just entered the depths. So I know soon I will have to change weapon. Is there a good one I can get somewhere this early. One that stat scales would be nice.

IMxOI
10-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I've been using the Drake sword and its done me well. But I am very early in game. Just entered the depths. So I know soon I will have to change weapon. Is there a good one I can get somewhere this early. One that stat scales would be nice.
In the early to mid stage of the game stat scaling weapon don't help that much since either you don't have the stats to make it shine or the scale is too low for the upgrade right now. So sticking with a flame/lighting type weapon would do good for now, either lighter spear from sen fortress, flame winged spear (upgrade from winged spear) or lighting halberd (upgrade also) will be a good weapon to stick with for now.

Kernel Cob
10-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Cool. Thanks. I will have to look into that when I get on the box!

Echilion
10-12-2011, 03:14 PM
I see people keep mentioning the Lightning Spear, and the golden serpent ring in Sen's fortress. Where are they? I feel like I've looked everywhere but obviously I have not

SOG Random
10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
I agree with the sentiment of the majority of posters so far.

The Drake sword is an excellent early game weapon and can help defeat enemies such as Black Knights that you would otherwise struggle with BUT it stays fairly static. That being said given that it allowed me to kill Black Knights early on it meant the Black Knight Sword dropped for me and this makes the Drake Sword look Pathetic in comparison as it gets a Strength and Dexterity Bonus on top and is easier to upgrade.

I am currently doing a bit of grinding in the Garden having completed Anor Londo and the Black Knight Sword (+3) is the best overall weapon I have come across for my melee focused Deprived

InsertCoffee
10-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I see people keep mentioning the Lightning Spear, and the golden serpent ring in Sen's fortress. Where are they? I feel like I've looked everywhere but obviously I have not
As soon as you are past the first big-stone-rail, you'll come to another big-stone-rail (i can't describe it better^^), it's the one where you see the ball hit a wall right at the entrance. Wait till it goes further and run the rail up to the mid, on your left there should be a broken column and you can see a wooden plattform with a mage on it. jump down, kill the mage, and go through the door (sry don't know which one of the two), then you should reach a cell area with some kind of lift, which will go up and down. Wait till it goes DOWN again before you jump on it. you will fall and be damaged, but it is less than otherwise. Exit the lift and there is a chest (mimic) if you defeat it, it drops the spear. Then follow the way from it till you see another rail. There should be a hole with some balls in it to your left (you have space to walk at the wall without getting hit) go to the left (be wary of the big-stone-balls^^) and there is the ring....

PS: This note is somewhat out of memory, but it is 80% the way I found it.