PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem - using shifter with clutch, damaging gearbox on every shift

JKSullivan
10-12-2011, 02:57 AM
I've got a Fanetec setup, with the stock pedals, and I'm using the six speed shifter with the clutch enabled. On the F class cars, I had no problems whatsoever - but as soon as I get into a D class or higher car with some minor upgrades, every time I shift up or down, the damage display comes up. By the end of a 5 lap race, the indicator for the shift gate is red/orange and the car doesn't accelerate properly.

Most of my upgrades are suspension and brake related - I only had a street racing air cleaner and a street racing exhaust, so it's not like I'm running 5 times the power through the car. Still, I was thinking maybe an upgraded clutch or gearbox would solve it, but no luck. I've varied the speed I'm using the pedal, when I shift, how far in I push the pedal, etc, but nothing seems to fix it.

I'm a little too tired to keep troubleshooting it tonight, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how you solved it. I'm thinking maybe the clutch axis deadzones need to be tweaked?

BlitzElf86160
10-12-2011, 08:22 PM
If you get to tired of the whole setup not working and you want to smash it. I'll pay the shipping for it if you send me it.

JKSullivan
10-12-2011, 09:25 PM
If you get to tired of the whole setup not working and you want to smash it. I'll pay the shipping for it if you send me it.

Sure thing - just give me your credit card number, and I'll post the shipping to that. I'll tell you what, to make it even easier for you, also give me your social security number and/or passport number. I'll look up your address info from that so you don't have to type it all out.

:p

KAPiNG
10-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Are you upgrading the clutch?? some of yuo may not know nothing in cars and just play games but Its not gonna hold extra power Trust me. I got a a dodge cummins in REAL LIFE and stock its rated at about 350hp. Well I got a bigger turbo,injectors,programmer, Dynoed 606hp..Stock clutch holded 6 mintues after those mods. So what im saying is you need a bigger clutch or maybe u jsut dont get the principal of a clutch LOL

JKSullivan
10-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Are you upgrading the clutch?? some of yuo may not know nothing in cars and just play games but Its not gonna hold extra power Trust me. I got a a dodge cummins in REAL LIFE and stock its rated at about 350hp. Well I got a bigger turbo,injectors,programmer, Dynoed 606hp..Stock clutch holded 6 mintues after those mods. So what im saying is you need a bigger clutch or maybe u jsut dont get the principal of a clutch LOL

Yes, as a matter of fact I did upgrade the clutch, and the transmission - that was stated in my original post, along with the fact that I only added about 15 HP or so. As for understanding the principal, I've driven a standard just about every day for the last 10 or so years, and off and on for 10 years prior to that, so I'm pretty sure I "get" it. I certainly understand it better than you appear to understand grammar and spelling, at least.

JKSullivan
10-13-2011, 01:32 AM
I figured out the issue, figured I'd post the solution in case it helped someone else - I had the clutch deadzones set at 10 on the low end and 90 on the high end for some reason. I reset it to 5 and 100, and it works fine now.

KAPiNG
10-13-2011, 03:45 AM
Yes, as a matter of fact I did upgrade the clutch, and the transmission - that was stated in my original post, along with the fact that I only added about 15 HP or so. As for understanding the principal, I've driven a standard just about every day for the last 10 or so years, and off and on for 10 years prior to that, so I'm pretty sure I "get" it. I certainly understand it better than you appear to understand grammar and spelling, at least.

Ok sorry I just wanted to make it clear.. And I am french so I am not good in grammar and spelling, and its not school here its forums. I am also a diesel Tech and have about 200 clutch change and auto trans changes.. I know my stuff if you ask me. Mainly Cummins diesel tough and I prefer working on the dodges..

Didnt want to be mean or something sorry.

JKSullivan
10-14-2011, 12:38 PM
OK, what I thought fixed it, didn't. It seems like after playing for a while, something is 'losing' the calibration setting on the clutch. This seems to be especially likely if you wait a long time between races.

The good news is, also found that by turning off the power to the wheel, then turning it back on and resyncing to the 360, it works properly again, at least for a while. This also works mid-race. Hopefully if any other Fanatec owners experience this issue, the fix works for them too.

chadherrella
11-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Hi, I know this thread is very old. But I was just playing forza 4 again and I was having the same problem.

When I shift gears while pressing clutch pedal, I also get the damage display.

When I use the button mapped for clutch on my wheel, there is no damage.

My settings for the clutch were:
Clutch deadzone axis inside - 0
Clutch deadzone axis outside - 100

I changed the settings to:
Clutch deadzone axis inside - 0
Clutch deadzone axis outside - 20, maybe try higher value, 20 - mimics a button press

No more damage display. No more need to turn wheel on and off... I though my wheel was broken but it's not. Hope this helps