PDA

View Full Version : Which Magic to get??

the real evanio
10-12-2011, 07:52 PM
this thread is to ask:I'm looking to see if the Magic arcade games are as good as the actual card game. can i have any insight on whether to get the original M:tG or 2012. which plays better online? and what is the difference between the two. thanks in advance.

Wii187
10-12-2011, 11:48 PM
The main drawback from both games is you can not build your own deck from scratch. All the decks in both games are premade, but you can unlock more cards to add to them (the cards you unlock are preset for each deck). An advantage in the 2012 version is that you can take cards out from the original premade deck where as the 1st game you can not. Load times seem to be less in the 2012 version. Online coop seems to work. I can not comment on the versus in the 2012 version.

Ari Haswari
10-18-2011, 05:22 AM
I'd recommend the 1st one. The new one sucks! although the deck customizing is much better in the new one. The 1st one is just better overall.

Perax
10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
In my opinion the second is much better as pretty much everything, from deck choices, personalizations, loading times, graphic, not freezing, AI, two headed giant ONLINE, more game modes, etc.

II > I by far imo

shadowfeeder
10-18-2011, 03:30 PM
I'd go with 2012 over 2011.
Like Perax said, they ironed out a lot of the bugs from the previous game and the deck customization is a lot better (you can remove any card from the deck down to a minimum of 60 cards, as opposed to only choosing from the unlocked cards and the "base" deck being locked).

Then there's also Archenemy which is fun.
Dibs on Commander being in Magic 2013.

One bad thing that keeps irritating me in 2012 is that in Archenemy, it can skip the rule text on the Schemes in multiplayer and you have to pick a target without knowing what the effect is.

koosbane1985
10-18-2011, 06:11 PM
2 is way better, as everyone has said so far.

Miles Prower F6
10-19-2011, 12:58 AM
The only things I like about the previous MTG...

I liked how you could change your table, that was neat.
And I thought the music while repetitive was more engaging than 2012.

So yeah, the only things that might be better about the old MTG are aesthetics.

Shinobi273
10-19-2011, 01:24 AM
I turned off the music on both games but the 2012 game has a ringing sound in the music that had me looking for what was making the noise for days. MTG2012 is better than the first game. Online co-op and AI co-op options automatically make it better. Reduced load times, improvements to deck customization, better deck balancing, and archenemy modes make it clearly better.

LeeDoc40
10-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Really enjoyed 2012 - just online acheivements left to get. Is it worth me buying the original?

Miles Prower F6
10-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Really enjoyed 2012 - just online acheivements left to get. Is it worth me buying the original?

It is if you feel like 2012 wasn't enough MTG for you. The original is a bit more limited than 2012 but the decks are all different. So you'd be able to unlock a lot more stuff and get more of your MTG fix.

LeeDoc40
10-30-2011, 09:18 PM
It is if you feel like 2012 wasn't enough MTG for you. The original is a bit more limited than 2012 but the decks are all different. So you'd be able to unlock a lot more stuff and get more of your MTG fix.

Thanks - have decided to buy the original for more MTG fix!:woop:

shinobigarth
12-04-2011, 08:03 PM
im loving the zombie deck they just added and theyll continue to add more decks and expansions over time. still would be nice to make your own decks. maybe the reason is they dont want players making super OP decks? but you can do that in the physical game anyway so i dont see the big deal.

nanochef
01-04-2012, 04:51 PM
The main drawback from both games is you can not build your own deck from scratch. All the decks in both games are premade, but you can unlock more cards to add to them (the cards you unlock are preset for each deck). An advantage in the 2012 version is that you can take cards out from the original premade deck where as the 1st game you can not. Load times seem to be less in the 2012 version. Online coop seems to work. I can not comment on the versus in the 2012 version.

The online in 2012 is fair. does the original even have people online anymore? anyway the only drawback to 2012 online is that the douchebags go to dashboard when they see defeat comming.
like you mentioned, the ability to remove cards from the original 60 is great especially after not being able to do that in the original.

In terms of the OPs question comparing the arcade game to the RL game is this:
the RL game is great but can get confusing with all the counters/phases/rules etc am i right? well the arcade game is a great way to play without having to deal with all the counters/phases/rules.... everything is simplified enough to where you dont have to think too hard but still complex enough for someone who knows how to play will have an advantage over their opponents. IMO i think the arcade version is a great alternative.

i like the original arcades music and boards better and the ability to have jace beleren as your character avatar (cuz hes the best ever). 2012 adds more modes including archenemy but 4 players FFA matches seem to be non-existent due to the community not the game itself, not that the originals 4player FFA was ever fair (cuz friends would tag team ya).

hope this helps i may have rambled a bit

shinobigarth
01-08-2012, 07:51 PM
i think its a good way to teach someone how to play. it has really good tutorials that explain how to play pretty well. if it doesnt cover everything you can fill in the gaps with the person youre teaching. otherwise WOTC has some youtube how-to-play videos with 2 teenage boys that are ok but has bad acting LOL.

but i like not having to worry about putting counters, tokens and such and how this game handles it all for you. it has big drawbacks like the low amount of overall cards to choose from and not being able to make your own decks but its a good alternative.

now if only they combine this with Magic Online's card selection and ability to edit decks...

GhostMaker 343
03-06-2012, 03:10 PM
The 2012 one is the best one imo.

FeEbLeJaCk
03-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Ive played both, and the 2nd is far greater, they should hurry up and allow personalised decks already! :(