PDA

View Full Version : Not all that bad

squodge
10-13-2011, 12:20 PM
I picked this game up for ultra-cheap, I thought it was worth a try. And it's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. There are maybe a couple of songs where the sing is bordering on bad... "All the small things", the bit that goes "na naa na naa na naa na naa naa naa", the singer pronounces it differently from the original, it almost sounds like "non nonn non nonn non nonnn", like he got the vowel wrong.

But otherwise, it's not a bad game at all. I don't find the 2D highway a problem - not sure why a 3D one is somehow 'better'? All we're doing is strumming or hitting when a gem/bar crosses the line - it could well be horizontal, and it still wouldn't be a problem (just like it is in real music).

There are two very good things about the game:
1. You can't save yourself with star power/overdrive - this instills discipline to get hit most of the notes rather than relying on a game mechanic to help you through difficult sections.
2. On completion of a song, you're told how many notes you hit were perfect, good, or missed. This again instills discipline in rhythm games. So even though the time window is quite generous for hitting the note, it's very tight for hitting it 'perfectly'. If this game mechanic were in GH/RB, getting in the top 100 in the world would actually be a massive feat.

The real thing letting the game down is the lack of vocals. Sure, you can just pick up Karaoke Revolution... but then that lacks guitar, bass, and drums!

When I have mates round, the girls prefer to sing and the guys prefer to play plastic instruments - which is why Rock Band & Guitar Hero go down very well. Rock Band 3 in particular is a favourite of most of my guests because my song catalogue is huge - something lacking in Rock Revolution and (to some degree) Guitar Hero.

Anyway, it's a shame Rock Revolution has died (as well as Guitar Hero). The real problem with Guitar Hero (I think) was that Neversoft were bringing out too many titles; Harmonix concentrated on DLC songs, and that's how they're surviving at the moment. Rock Revolution at least deserves a pat on the back for trying to do things differently - it's far, far more playable than Power Gig: Rise of the Six String. :D