PDA

View Full Version : News (?) of the day for Friday, Oct 14: Online Pass

fastNcurious
10-15-2011, 12:20 AM
So EA announced that an online pass will be required to play multiplayer. If you buy the game used, you will need to buy an online pass to play multiplayer. Link to tweet here: https://twitter.com/#!/Demize99/status/124023128371363840

In BFBC2, the online pass gave you access to additional content, but was not required to play multiplayer. In BF3 however, the pass is required if you want to play online at all.

Discuss.

Cooljoe
10-15-2011, 12:24 AM
So EA announced that an online pass will be required to play multiplayer. If you buy the game used, you will need to buy an online pass to play multiplayer. Link to tweet here: https://twitter.com/#!/Demize99/status/124023128371363840

In BFBC2, the online pass gave you access to additional content, but was not required to play multiplayer. In BF3 however, the pass is required if you want to play online at all.

Discuss.

Well, this means either my little brother or I will have to buy one lol. My question... Will it be 800mp, and if you pay for the multiplayer, do you still have all the same advantages? Thanks fast n' curious.

CGPsaint
10-15-2011, 02:21 AM
I could have sworn that they already did this in BFBC2 when they instituted the VIP system.

littlejay
10-15-2011, 03:07 AM
vip pass was just access to certain maps. online pass is required to get online at all. (not sure about co-op im guessing that's different)

MediumMelanin
10-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Oh, man, that sucks then...guess I'll just be playing this on the PC and my bro on the PlayStation 3.

The only reason I'm getting it on the PS3 is because I'm running out of gold in mid-November, and I have no desire to upgrade again.

Grey Delta
10-15-2011, 08:45 AM
The VIP was more "HAHA!! We made content, put it on the disc and restricted you from playing it unless you buy new or spend 1200MSP! Then we'll drip feed you the content over some months and make it seem like we're doing you a massive favour!!"

The VIP pass was a fucking farce (please excuse the language but it was seriously a slap in the face) and the PR spin they put on it was ridiculous. At least with this online pass we get everything on the disc, day one, no messing around.

The only reason I'm getting it on the PS3 is because I'm running out of gold in mid-November, and I have no desire to upgrade again.

Playing with inferior analog sticks... :eek:

XoNiNjAlEoNoX
10-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Wow, if they demand you 1200ms points then they have taken the bait. Industry is really fucked up. Nice dick move, first announce battlelog will be completely free but then you'll have to require the online pass in order to be able to play online at all.

stuhp
10-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Aw man. That mostly defeats the purpose of me having these single-month gold accounts for fooling around on. Looks like my psyche-training plan is out the window, then :p

Grey Delta
10-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Well it was rumoured a long time ago that there would be an online pass so nobody should be surprised to see it. Just be glad the situation is "get online pass, get access to all online content right now" and not "get online pass, have content restricted regardless, get it when we say so (for content that is ON THE DISC - 1200 MSP)"

xKRAIZEEMANx
10-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I am buying BF3 on day one, so I have nothing to worry about as far as the online pass is concerned. I also bought BFBC2 new, so I got the VIP pass included with the game. When you buy a game new, you have nothing to worry about.
Now, I buy games used, and rent them also. In regards to buying used/renting games, the online pass is crap. It is primarily being implemented to dissuade one from buying games used.
BTW, I do not like the Online Pass, nor agree with it's implementation in BF3 or (probably) every game that will be released from here on in.

kantizuni
10-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I think maybe some of you are misunderstanding what this is for?

If you buy the game new, you will be able to play online, without paying anything extra. If you buy the game USED (or borrow a copy from a friend) you will have to pay to get access to online play.

The reasoning (whether we agree or not) is that they will still make money off the sale of used copies of the game.

edit - Poster above me gets it. But some of the comments above make me think some of you are misunderstanding and think that you have to pay extra to play online even if you purchase new.

Grey Delta
10-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't think anyone misunderstood, everyone has encountered this by now, obviously I will be buying new but that doesn't mean I agree with its implementation. However, I AM happy it's not like the VIP pass.

Tatanko
10-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't necessarily agree with this, but at the end of the day it doesn't affect me because I pre-ordered the game and will have a new copy. Sorry to anyone who doesn't think this game is good enough to warrant purchasing a new copy of it, I really don't feel that bad for you.

CGPsaint
10-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I completely understand that game developers/producers want as big of a slice of the retail pie as possible, but they also need to realize that the pre-owned segment of the market helps sustain the new segment of the market.

Bear in mind that this data is from 2008, but it's relevant nonetheless.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/02/gamestopchart2.jpg

Gamestop's used software sales grew a whopping 444% from 2003 to 2007, compared to a "mere" 384% for new software.
Used sales account for 44% of Gamespot's gross profit in 2007.
Gamestop makes a ridiculous 50% gross profit margin on used game sales, compared to just 21% for new games (i.e. Gamespot keeps 50 cents for every dollar of used game revenue it receives, but only 21 cents of new game dollars).
An estimated 53% of all games Gamestop sells are used games.

GameStop obviously makes a higher profit margin on used games, so their incentive is to sell as many used games as possible. Now then, how do they get those used games? Through customer trade in. Trade ins generate millions of dollars in buying power that customers then in turn use to buy both new AND used games. Regardless of whether or not they want to admit it, the sale of new games is tied to the sale/trade of used product. If they sink the used games ship, then the new games will be the Captain at the wheel, going down with said ship.

Nitnoid
10-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Why should Gamestop make "a ridiculous gross 50% profit margin" on someone else's intellectual property, that we, as consumers are only licensed to use? If the devs don't make enough money off of a game, they stop producing games or their "ship" sinks.

I feel ripped off buying a game I think is sub-par, and don't get me started on Duke Nukem. But that's the nature of things anyway. If its crap, we as a gamer community stop buying it. That's been the bane of the rental situation for years and now GS is taking away more revenue.

This is just a new incentive for people to purchase new games so the people who design them get their due. Change is going to happen every time you turn around. You can either support the change or not. There are ways to show these companies you either agree or disagree. Not buying dlc, renting, and in this case, don't buy the online pass. Hurting the pocketbook sends a quick and decisive message.

Besides, if you are waiting to buy a used game, spend even $49 and buy the online pass for 800msp, you still haven't paid any more than a person who bought on day 1.

And do we really need the charts and graphs and color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one?

Poppygalaxy
10-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Not really a big surprise honestly.

Won't affect me as i have already bought it and can't wait for it to come in the mail :D

rc deaths agent
10-15-2011, 05:45 PM
I completely understand that game developers/producers want as big of a slice of the retail pie as possible, but they also need to realize that the pre-owned segment of the market helps sustain the new segment of the market.

Bear in mind that this data is from 2008, but it's relevant nonetheless.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/02/gamestopchart2.jpg

Gamestop's used software sales grew a whopping 444% from 2003 to 2007, compared to a "mere" 384% for new software.
Used sales account for 44% of Gamespot's gross profit in 2007.
Gamestop makes a ridiculous 50% gross profit margin on used game sales, compared to just 21% for new games (i.e. Gamespot keeps 50 cents for every dollar of used game revenue it receives, but only 21 cents of new game dollars).
An estimated 53% of all games Gamestop sells are used games.
GameStop obviously makes a higher profit margin on used games, so their incentive is to sell as many used games as possible. Now then, how do they get those used games? Through customer trade in. Trade ins generate millions of dollars in buying power that customers then in turn use to buy both new AND used games. Regardless of whether or not they want to admit it, the sale of new games is tied to the sale/trade of used product. If they sink the used games ship, then the new games will be the Captain at the wheel, going down with said ship.
I wonder what the last 4 years looks like on that chart compared to the years you've shown? That chart ends about the time companies started battling the used sales market.

StayonTarget
10-15-2011, 09:27 PM
I hope it's like that thingy that game with Homefront. Either way, if you are debating on getting the game, this is a deciding factor.

Tatanko
10-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Either way, if you are debating on getting the game, this is a deciding factor.
While I agree, I hope to see the value of these used games go down to take the inability to play online into account.

fastNcurious
10-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Well, this means either my little brother or I will have to buy one lol. My question... Will it be 800mp, and if you pay for the multiplayer, do you still have all the same advantages?

That totally sucks for people who have multiple accounts on one console or in one household. Yeah, so far it's gonna be 800 mp.

The strange thing is they didn't mention anything about new maps. I recall that when BFBC2 came out, they were touting about how maps would be free to VIP members and using that as a way to fight the CoD market cuz CoD just upped their map packs to 1200mp. I'm guessing BF3 is probably going to go the CoD route and charge for DLC.

Regardless of whether or not they want to admit it, the sale of new games is tied to the sale/trade of used product. If they sink the used games ship, then the new games will be the Captain at the wheel, going down with said ship.

I agree. For my part, I know that I probably wouldn't buy some games new if there wasn't a reliable way to trade them in. If an organized used game market didn't exist, I'd go the craiglist/ebay route or just wait til new games drop to 9.99.

DevorianDevil
10-16-2011, 09:27 AM
normally the pass works as it works with arcade games, ties to the xbox you downloaded it to and to the gamertag so everyone who plays on the xbox you got it for should be able to play.

I have 2 xbox myself, one for me and for my gf and i always download arcade games and online passes on my gamertag on her hd (just to be sure) and redownload it on my other xbox with my hd, this way we both get everything.

Grey Delta
10-16-2011, 10:28 AM
The strange thing is they didn't mention anything about new maps. I recall that when BFBC2 came out, they were touting about how maps would be free to VIP members and using that as a way to fight the CoD market cuz CoD just upped their map packs to 1200mp. I'm guessing BF3 is probably going to go the CoD route and charge for DLC.

The thing is though that they weren't new maps, they were all maps already on the disc (except for the last update) and all they did was unlock all the game modes on the already-there maps. But they spun it to seem like they were giving you the sun and the stars.

IronBrutzler
10-16-2011, 01:07 PM
I have no problem with the Online pass so long i just have to pay once.

I will buy BF3 on day one.

But i have fear that in the future the Developer make online pass per month, when this is happening im quiting online gaming.

CGPsaint
10-16-2011, 04:14 PM
While I agree, I hope to see the value of these used games go down to take the inability to play online into account.

GameStop doesn't take shit into account. The pay out in trade the same value for a game whether or not it's a regular or limited edition and all of the EA games that require the VIP/Online Pass to play still sell for the same value used whether or not the code is or is not still valid for use.

That totally sucks for people who have multiple accounts on one console or in one household. Yeah, so far it's gonna be 800 mp.

I agree. For my part, I know that I probably wouldn't buy some games new if there wasn't a reliable way to trade them in. If an organized used game market didn't exist, I'd go the craiglist/ebay route or just wait til new games drop to 9.99.

There are 2 parts to this. First of all, it's a good thing because maybe it will limit the number of boosters using multiple consoles. Of course that is a very small segment of the overall community, so it's a very small pro that can't stack up against the very large con.

I have no problem with the Online pass so long i just have to pay once.

I will buy BF3 on day one.

But i have fear that in the future the Developer make online pass per month, when this is happening im quiting online gaming.

Game Developers/Publishers are sitting around in their cushy offices watching Blizzard rake in millions (11.4 Million subscribers) EVERY SINGLE MONTH on World Of Warcraft, and they want a slice of that pie.

Stormy2k
10-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Everything thats EA related will require a pass in the future, which you will get with a purchase of a brand new game. Buy pre owned, you need to buy a pass to play online via Marketplace.

That way EA will still make money on pre owned games rather than a loss.

I buy new anyway, so im not bothered.

beelzeboss
10-17-2011, 12:19 AM
I think everyone will be using passes soon enough I have no problem with it personally If you are buying new and supporting the industry it costs you nothing extra. I do feel a little for the people wanting to save money but if they were to make the effort and look online for voucher codes and use sites like quidco they would be able to find the games new for far less than the retailers are selling used copies.

I don't think we will ever see a monthly pass though too many people would stop buying if they had to pay a regular fee on top of the 40 for the game and the 30 xbox live costs. We are more likely to see more download only games than that.

What I do hope the pass does is eventually forces the retailer to drop used prices to compensate for the pass at least then the people who can't afford to buy new will get a look in at the games but for this to happen it would require more people to buy new for a period of time. The second hand buyer will pay less overall and the publisher will still get a bit back on the sale.

With regards to the percentage of sales the retailer gets they get a higher percentage off each new sale than the developer or publisher gets.
One of the devs I worked at broke the sales down and the dev was getting around 2 -3 from each sale after the publisher, marketing, retail, licensing and distribution cuts were taken out this was at a 3rd party dev not a publisher. This was also maybe 5 years back before the online passes had come into play
It is not a lot especially when you consider how much it costs to make a game even before you start looking at the marketing and distribution costs.
Some people go on like the devs rake it in which is only the case if you make a huge hit like a rockband and the publisher pays out big bonuses. I have known loads of devs to go under recently on the back of poor sales and not always on bad games. I have worked in the industry for over 11 years and have seen one bonus in my time which was 32 split into 2 payments a year apart. Still hoping to get to work on that rockband though lol

@CGPsaint "Game Developers/Publishers are sitting around in their cushy offices"
This really made me laugh one office I worked at we had the smell of dead rat for a couple of months because one decided to die under the building hardly cushy lol

Dz06lt
10-17-2011, 12:22 AM
im tired of all the bitching and moaning about the online pass system

judd90
10-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Just don't be a tight ass and buy the game brand new? I don't see why people sook and complain everytime an online pass is announced for a game, we all seen it coming get over it.

mgorsi
10-17-2011, 01:12 AM
good job EA, Fuck gamestop and BestBuy with there overprice BS

TaiCoon
10-17-2011, 09:43 AM
I have 2 xbox myself, one for me and for my gf and i always download arcade games and online passes on my gamertag on her hd (just to be sure) and redownload it on my other xbox with my hd, this way we both get everything.
This is the same way how i download everything.
I use my gamertag to download arcadegames, add ons and everything else on my brothers 360.
But for BF:BC2 this method didn't work
because the vip-pass wasn't a download :(
I hope BF3 doesn't Work with the same system.

beelzeboss
10-17-2011, 10:25 AM
It won't work as this is purely for access to play online as far as I am aware

Wesz
10-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Let's just hope we will get something like BFBC2

Tatanko
10-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Let's just hope we will get something like BFBC2
What do you mean exactly? This pass is just to play online, period. They aren't guaranteeing us continued content (like the VIP map packs) like they did in BC2. CGPsaint already had a good rant about that whole joke of a setup.

CGPsaint
10-17-2011, 03:42 PM
@CGPsaint "Game Developers/Publishers are sitting around in their cushy offices"
This really made me laugh one office I worked at we had the smell of dead rat for a couple of months because one decided to die under the building hardly cushy lol

You really should check out this web comic courtesy of the gentlemen from Penny-Arcade.

http://trenchescomic.com/

Start at the beginning for the comic, and the Tales Archive can be read in any order. It's just a collection of sordid tales from behind the scenes of the gaming industry.

Suiken
10-17-2011, 05:44 PM
I have no problems with this. I intend to buy the game new, and I think its perfectly legitimate for a company to want to charge a fee for the online component of their game, especially when it uses dedicated servers.

CGPsaint
10-17-2011, 05:53 PM
I have no problems with this. I intend to buy the game new, and I think its perfectly legitimate for a company to want to charge a fee for the online component of their game, especially when it uses dedicated servers.

I would totally agree with you IF the servers were reliable.

Argus
10-17-2011, 05:55 PM
I have a question on my mind about the Online Pass. When you buy it, do have have to renew it in any way after year or two or do you just buy one pass and play free forever on Battlefield 3. I know you have to have a gold member to play any game online but this question has been on my mind for sometime.

beelzeboss
10-17-2011, 05:58 PM
It is just a pay once deal but ea will eventually close the servers after a few years if numbers playing are low but it's unlikely for bf3

CGPsaint
10-17-2011, 06:02 PM
It is just a pay once deal but ea will eventually close the servers after a few years if numbers playing are low but it's unlikely for bf3

They just now closed the BF2 servers after 5 (?) years, and BF3 will probably have a much higher player base so I think we'll be good for a while.

Poppygalaxy
10-17-2011, 06:08 PM
They just now closed the BF2 servers after 5 (?) years, and BF3 will probably have a much higher player base so I think we'll be good for a while.

They have????? wuut?

Argus
10-17-2011, 06:09 PM

I hope not, I still don't have all the achievements lol.

littlejay
10-17-2011, 06:11 PM
They have????? wuut?

bf2: mc on xbox that nobody played. not bf2 on pc :p

CGPsaint
10-17-2011, 06:24 PM
bf2: mc on xbox that nobody played. not bf2 on pc :p

I stand corrected. BF2: Modern Combat on Xbox Live has been shut down. No big loss there I suppose. According to the forum it looks like everyone just boosted the achievements anyways.

Tatanko
10-17-2011, 06:59 PM
I stand corrected. BF2: Modern Combat on Xbox Live has been shut down. No big loss there I suppose. According to the forum it looks like everyone just boosted the achievements anyways.
I bought the game over the summer (for $3 lol) just to try it out and the servers were basically dead anyway. Half the time when I joined a game I was literally the only one in it.

Suiken
10-17-2011, 08:11 PM
I would totally agree with you IF the servers were reliable.

The BF:BC2 servers have always been reliable for me, barring 1 or 2 instances. Given how much I played that game, I'd estimate that the servers are working properly well over 99.9% of the time, which I think is perfectly acceptable.

littlejay
10-17-2011, 08:17 PM
The BF:BC2 servers have always been reliable for me, barring 1 or 2 instances. Given how much I played that game, I'd estimate that the servers are working properly well over 99.9% of the time, which I think is perfectly acceptable.

well the first 2 weeks of both bad company games and 1943 had bad server issues. which is why we got a glitchy beta. they wanted to test servers and not so much the gameplay. 99% of those problems were fixed. i think they said they learned Australia needed to quadruple their number of servers because of the load the people playing put on the servers.

CGPsaint
10-17-2011, 08:51 PM

I still play BFBC2 or BFBC2: Vietnam regularly and I get booted from games or fail to connect fairly often. As much as I hate to reference COD here, I have never had the same problem in COD4, MW2, WAW or Black Ops.

Poppygalaxy
10-17-2011, 09:04 PM
I still play BFBC2 or BFBC2: Vietnam regularly and I get booted from games or fail to connect fairly often. As much as I hate to reference COD here, I have never had the same problem in COD4, MW2, WAW or Black Ops.

Seriously? Of all the 300ish Horus i have played Bad Company 2 it's a very low number of times iv have fallen out of a game/failed to connect.
While MW2 on the other hand it happens every 4rth game or so :(

CGPsaint
10-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Seriously? Of all the 300ish Horus i have played Bad Company 2 it's a very low number of times iv have fallen out of a game/failed to connect.
While MW2 on the other hand it happens every 4rth game or so :(

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I think that you got the better deal. I'd rather be able to play BF. :D

xXx3NIGM4xXx
10-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Game Developers/Publishers are sitting around in their cushy offices watching Blizzard rake in millions (11.4 Million subscribers) EVERY SINGLE MONTH on World Of Warcraft, and they want a slice of that pie.

I'm not going to go as far as to say I wouldn't buy a game that made their online features pay per month, but I wouldn't choose to do that option. Play the single player, and sell it. Thing is, you might see used game trade ins drop considerably because of that.

Still, I'd just move on to games such as Dragon Age, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Batman, and other games that put emphasis on an excellent single player experience. I love playing online, but it's not the primary reason I own an Xbox. I own one because I love video games, and can enjoy a wide variety of genres.

As far as the Online Pass goes, it doesn't bother me. I'm going to purchase the game anyway, so it doesn't matter. I'm wondering if anyone will do what Rockstar did with LA Noire and provide a Pass to allow for cheaper DLC.

I agree with the previous poster who said that the VIP pass for BC2 was just a rehash of the same maps with different game modes. Hearing that all the maps will be Rush/Conquest accessible out of the box is great news.

TheUglyCasanova
10-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't see how anyone didn't see this coming? It's EA and they have already made over 10 million dollars from online passes. Obviously they would stick one on their biggest game of the year.

Doesn't bother me at all since I pre-ordered. Although I hate putting in codes. :P

I have a question on my mind about the Online Pass. When you buy it, do have have to renew it in any way after year or two or do you just buy one pass and play free forever on Battlefield 3. I know you have to have a gold member to play any game online but this question has been on my mind for sometime.

You're good for life with the pass as long as you don't make a new gamertag or something.

CGPsaint
10-18-2011, 12:13 AM
I don't see how anyone didn't see this coming? It's EA and they have already made over 10 million dollars from online passes. Obviously they would stick one on their biggest game of the year.

It's not really a matter of seeing it coming, it's a matter of how they're going about it. It shouldn't be about sticking it to the consumer. Maybe new game developers should renegotiate with retailers and try and get a piece of the used game market. It doesn't matter how to you break it down, retailers need developers and vice versa. Some developers have talked about going to digital downloads, but in the end, that hurts consumers. I for one would never download a $60 game that I knew I wouldn't be able to trade or sell when I was finished with it.

Teh Phantomz
10-18-2011, 10:34 PM
They shouldn't be stingy when they are competing with MW3.

stuhp
10-19-2011, 12:05 AM
It's funny: the last Game Informer issue talked about there being a "death" of singleplayer games with multiplayer being in titles like Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed. While this doesn't really deal with online passes, per se, there's always that suspicion that these online passes will turn into monthly subscriptions on top of what we already pay for gold membership.

Makes me wonder which will "die" out first: the singleplayer, or the multiplayer? :p

fastNcurious
10-19-2011, 12:39 AM
Makes me wonder which will "die" out first: the singleplayer, or the multiplayer? :p

I don't think either needs to die. They just need to price games more appropriately. When obvious movie-tie-in video games are priced the same as other AAA titles, something's wrong.

Also, I fear when multiplayer becomes the main focus cuz then you're spreading the player base too thin. It's sad that a lot of games don't have an online presence anymore, but the fact that a huge majority gravitates towards BF/Halo/CoD means it's better for those of us who are fans of these games. I like having short search times, low-lag games, and tons of people to kill!

Guitarr Steve
10-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Comparing the way servers work in BF and CoD doesn't really work...especially when EA isn't really the greatest option out there for dedicated servers. :(

CGPsaint
10-19-2011, 01:48 AM
I don't think either needs to die. They just need to price games more appropriately. When obvious movie-tie-in video games are priced the same as other AAA titles, something's wrong.

Did you ever play that snoozefest King Kong? Worst movie based game ever. EVER.

Comparing the way servers work in BF and CoD doesn't really work...especially when EA isn't really the greatest option out there for dedicated servers. :(

Talk about hitting the nail squarely on the head. I'm not a huge fan of COD these days, but their servers are head and shoulders about EA's imitation servers.

Mongolian Beef
10-19-2011, 03:12 AM
When Person A buys a game new for $60 they are paying for the server costs.

When Person B buys disc from Person A, Person A is NO LONGER PLAYING ONLINE OR USING THE SERVERS. THE COSTS ARE ALREADY PAID.

For the stupid: 2 people cannot be playing online at the same time with the same disc!

All you online pass defenders are tools.

Exactly right. They know they can get away with $10.
Why don't they lock out the entire disc?
Why don't they lock out single player?
They KNOW they can't survive without used sales. Just look at retail PC games and CD keys, you think they want that?

EDIT: Also, Don't we have to pay for LIVE or are we just going to completely forget about that?

fastNcurious
10-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Did you ever play that snoozefest King Kong? Worst movie based game ever. EVER.

Peter Jackson's King Kong? I haven't, but I read...er...a little birdie told me that the achievements were easy to get. Lol.

CGPsaint
10-19-2011, 01:59 PM
When Person A buys a game new for $60 they are paying for the server costs.

When Person B buys disc from Person A, Person A is NO LONGER PLAYING ONLINE OR USING THE SERVERS. THE COSTS ARE ALREADY PAID.

For the stupid: 2 people cannot be playing online at the same time with the same disc!

All you online pass defenders are tools.

Exactly right. They know they can get away with $10.
Why don't they lock out the entire disc?
Why don't they lock out single player?
They KNOW they can't survive without used sales. Just look at retail PC games and CD keys, you think they want that?

EDIT: Also, Don't we have to pay for LIVE or are we just going to completely forget about that?

Yes, we do pay for Xbox Live, but publishers are peeved that they don't get a slice of that pie too.

Peter Jackson's King Kong? I haven't, but I read...er...a little birdie told me that the achievements were easy to get. Lol.

They were quite easy to get, especially since you could play the entire game with God Mode turned on...